Peepli Live Reviews

• Aug 14, 2014

Thoroughly loved it!

Thoroughly loved it!

• Feb 11, 2014

Stark reality of the current situation of Indian farmers hailing from the remotest regions possible. A dire situation of living a mere life constituted of meal 2 times a day and a glass of alcohol in the evening.

• Jul 14, 2013

The idea of farmers commiting suicide so their families get money from the government was a good starting concept....however, Natha seems too dumb to think things through properly. I don't remember him even weighing up the options. And the election background is a bit pointless but accounts for the media circus.

• Jun 27, 2013

a bit boring though.

a bit boring though.

• May 03, 2013

Peepli [Live] is a striking satire on the media-centric world we live in. Funny and sad at the same time, it's a film with a strong voice. The script is crisp and witty, the acting goes well with the rural and earthy feel of the film and does justice to the script. It's a story about two farmers in rural India, they can't repay the loan they took from the bank and are threatened with losing their land, to avert that an ingenius plan his hatched, one of them will commit suicide. Why? The government compensates the families of farmers who do so. This planned act of 'bravery' gets picked up by a local newspaper and then snowballs into an event of major consequences as other news media rush to cover this unique story. Its election time, the politicians get drawn into the fold, the opposition tries to take advantage of the situation, the incumbent to subvert it. And in the midst of all that the 'brave' man prepared to take his life for his family is forgotten, he is just a pawn in a much larger game. The film strikes so heavily because even though everything is so surreal, it won't seem too far fetched for them to be actually taking place. No one cares about the poor, the media wants their ratings, the politicians their votes. The people are left to fetch for their own, that's the sad reality of our world and this film captures that perfectly.

• Apr 22, 2013

This comical satire rips the state of the country, the fashion how news channel works on issues faced by the poor in the country, who are forced to take up something they do not want to

• Mar 12, 2013

presents a message with comedy

presents a message with comedy

• Feb 25, 2013

An impoverished farmer's threat to end his life invites attention from politicians and media.

• Dec 31, 2012

One of the best movies produced by bollywood of late..impeccable performances..hats off!!

• Nov 26, 2012

I am 70 years old. Hate going to cinema halls. I read about "Peepli Live" in the news paper. But tonight I saw it on TV. Despite the existing claims that the idea is based by "mad city" and "Pakal" (I have not seen both), I appreciate the decision of Amir to make it as a film. I have the credit of chatting with Dev Saab in 1963, face to face with Mohd:Rafi (1962)at the New Talkies in Bandra, Chai with Hrishida,(1965) but never tried to meet the kid Amir while I lived in Bombay (ooops Mumbai). I have two journalists in my family. My daughter and son-in-law. Both had their start of their career with two different news papers. Indian Express and Hindustan Times. My father subscribed for Indian Express when I was in school. I started reading HT since 1967 when I was working in Lucknow. Since I started viewing TV in 1981 in Dubai, till 1996, I thought TV was the ultimate in media watching CNN,BBC and Dubai TV. But since I came back home and over the years, I started hating the news channels. Arrogant, anchors, panels with no respect for discipline, anchors trying to become super stars, made me use the remote control to go to regional channels. This night I accidentally switched and got "peepli live". Thank you Amir for producing it. It is a subject which should have been researched deeper as there are much more shocking truths behind "Farmers Suicide". The script touched the the top layer, but deep down, there are more murkier naked facts which I have witnessed in UP, Bihar, and WB. May God bless you with courage to expose these truths to the world. Ramachandran Nair