The Perfect Storm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perfect Storm Reviews

July 15, 2017
Bit late to the party on this one. Never got round to it when it came out.
Film is ok. Definitey impressive special effects and good quality acting from the crew members and their loved ones alike. I found that I wasn't too drawn into the story by the end as there wasn't really enough time to care about the characters. There was enough surface characterisation to keep you invested but overall it was about watching the waves and the storm. I was a little confused by the presence of the pleasure boat and indeed the rescue services...both seeming a but superfluous in the end. I must say I didn't expect the ending to go as it did...interesting change to the Hollywood formula. A fairly average.. if not a very wet film.
½ March 13, 2017
Drama is overblown and characters are cliched, that's for sure. But I wanted two things from that movie - feeling of how scary and powerful sea is and no happy ending. I've got them. Little boring in the middle.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 30, 2017
viewed on 20/8/04 (Fri)

I was kicking myself for not watching this movie in a theatre to optimise the viewing pleasure. I put that on my must-see list but it had a rather short shelf-life. Think only two weeks. I missed it.

I wasn't pinning alot of hopes on this one, especially after being disappointed by TROY. Just wanted something lighter and thrilling so borrowed this and GODZILLA.

This movie did the right thing by offering more than an hour of awesome awesome awesome SFX visual treats! It doesn't hurt that the human drama is not bad at all. Great performances from all.

I really wish they will all return with 'a shitload of fish.' To go back to their loved ones. To prove to themselves they are capable of a big catch and makes big profits which they truly deserve. After braving so much bad luck and hardship, my heart goes all out for them. Please don't let them die, I prayed. They earn a glorious return.

I was actually bitterly disappointed that they all parish eventually. It is one hell of a good fight but still to no avail. I was so sure they will make it through the storm.

This is no popcorn actioner. It is a sad story about a bunch of people who lost their lives seeking a living. I wonder if they survive, would I have said the same thing? Most likely, yes.

Rating: B+
January 12, 2017
I liked it, but the problem with it is that it's too depressing to watch.
November 24, 2016
Took me 25 years to finally sit and watch this movie.....and it was awful.
½ October 24, 2016
Wolfgang Petersen's style over substance mantra is evident again here. Yes, the effects are fairly well done and well used, but they are all the film has going for it. Yet again, there is no depth to the characters, so the tragedy of the story is lost. Also, the tragedy would've resonated more, had there not been industrial quantities of cloying sentimentality. That's what really ruined this for me.
October 15, 2016
Well made, but overall I didn't like it.
September 25, 2016
Though well acted, the perfect storm fails because the entire film you know what's coming and so all you do is feel bad, and who wants to watch a film like that?
½ September 12, 2016
Pretty impressive special effects spectacle. A little hollow, but overall effective. Sad movie.
½ September 11, 2016
D I S A P P O I N T I N G
August 19, 2016
Judging from the critical consensus here on RT, I'm not sure quite what film the critics were watching, but it wasn't 'The Perfect Storm'.

Personally I found the events to be sufficiently dramatic thanks to Wolfgang Peterston's sure handed direction. The initial drama sequences leading up to the storm are developed well and give enough basic introductory information about the crew without being too long or boring. When the storm does eventually hit, the action sequences are breathtaking thanks to the magnificent blend of nice CGI (which still stands up nearly 17 years on) and real live effects, with plenty of heart pounding shots of the actors being buffeted and assailed by water. It all looks incredibly realistic thus creating a palpable sense of mortal danger.

I even thought the inclusion of the rescue crew and the distress of the small boat with the crew of three was welcome alongside the main event of Andrea Gail. I found myself instantly on board (excuse the pun) in wanting them all to survive and caring much more about characters in this film who had barely any screen than those who dominate an entire Roland Emerick movie.

While the picture quality on Blu-Ray leaves quote a bit to be desired, the sound quality is very good with complimentary realistic foley effects and a decent musical score.

Finally, Wolfgang Peterson keeps a steady pace and brings the movie life with vibrant energy. 4/5
½ June 26, 2016
Faltered at the end as a letdown with exhaustion when considered strong through its delivered story of dramatic determination through disastrous, speculative stakes with, at the time, impressive effects and decent performances by a nice cast as the weights towards the tense power that's around the genre's typicality. (B)

(Full review TBD)
June 24, 2016
Finally watched it after 16 years on the shelf. The effects hold up and the cast is engaging, but it's all sound and fury signifying nothing. It should be a crime to lead with "based on a true story" only to have all the principles die before telling their tale. The stock characters in port are there to ratchet up the anxiety and give our heroes a life to return to. Other than Wahlberg's character, who misses out on returning to foxy Diane Lane, I prefer the fates of the other crew members who are lost at sea. We spend much time with the Coast Guard and their futile attempt to get our boys back home, as well as the channel nine weather crew, who pop in occasionally to marvel at the intensity of the perfect storm. Professional filmmaking makes for a decent couple of hours of easily forgettable entertainment.
½ June 19, 2016
Underrated with its respectful story and good performances as well as great visual effects.
June 9, 2016
Rating: 83%
Incredibly breathtaking on a technical scale while respectably dramatic when it needs to be, The Perfect Storm is a visually thrilling and very well-acted disaster pic that goes above genre expectations.
½ April 26, 2016
While there's a lot of action and it's captivating, there is nothing in the movie of any substance or anyone to root for. Clooney is Clooney a professional actor at the top of his craft, but this movie is dreadful. Too long with characters who just get thrown in for no reason and plot lines that got added with no significance. I'm sorry I watched this.
April 14, 2016
i didn't care much about about this movie
½ April 11, 2016
Worse than dog shit.
½ April 10, 2016
A ship full of life, that have to work together to battle the elements that stand in their way from doing their job and get fish. From battling the weather, from battling eachother, from battling the search for the pay dirt, greatest amount they can carry, the deepest part of the ocean and having to deal with life and death to do so. Leaving behind lived ones behind, thinking about them when at sea, thinking about the sea on land, not knowing if they would return to do this over again. Caught between two storm colliding eachother and being right stuck in the middle of it, making it a perfect storm.