The Perfect Storm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perfect Storm Reviews

½ June 26, 2016
Faltered at the end as a letdown with exhaustion when considered strong through its delivered story of dramatic determination through disastrous, speculative stakes with, at the time, impressive effects and decent performances by a nice cast as the weights towards the tense power that's around the genre's typicality. (B)

(Full review TBD)
June 24, 2016
Finally watched it after 16 years on the shelf. The effects hold up and the cast is engaging, but it's all sound and fury signifying nothing. It should be a crime to lead with "based on a true story" only to have all the principles die before telling their tale. The stock characters in port are there to ratchet up the anxiety and give our heroes a life to return to. Other than Wahlberg's character, who misses out on returning to foxy Diane Lane, I prefer the fates of the other crew members who are lost at sea. We spend much time with the Coast Guard and their futile attempt to get our boys back home, as well as the channel nine weather crew, who pop in occasionally to marvel at the intensity of the perfect storm. Professional filmmaking makes for a decent couple of hours of easily forgettable entertainment.
½ June 19, 2016
Underrated with its respectful story and good performances as well as great visual effects.
June 9, 2016
Rating: 83%
Incredibly breathtaking on a technical scale while respectably dramatic when it needs to be, The Perfect Storm is a visually thrilling and very well-acted disaster pic that goes above genre expectations.
June 4, 2016
Bit late to the party on this one. Never got round to it when it came out.
Film is ok. Definitey impressive special effects and good quality acting from the crew members and their loved ones alike. I found that I wasn't too drawn into the story by the end as there wasn't really enough time to care about the characters. There was enough surface characterisation to keep you invested but overall it was about watching the waves and the storm. I was a little confused by the presence of the pleasure boat and indeed the rescue services...both seeming a but superfluous in the end. I must say I didn't expect the ending to go as it did...interesting change to the Hollywood formula. A fairly average.. if not a very wet film.
½ April 26, 2016
While there's a lot of action and it's captivating, there is nothing in the movie of any substance or anyone to root for. Clooney is Clooney a professional actor at the top of his craft, but this movie is dreadful. Too long with characters who just get thrown in for no reason and plot lines that got added with no significance. I'm sorry I watched this.
April 14, 2016
i didn't care much about about this movie
½ April 11, 2016
Worse than dog shit.
½ April 10, 2016
A ship full of life, that have to work together to battle the elements that stand in their way from doing their job and get fish. From battling the weather, from battling eachother, from battling the search for the pay dirt, greatest amount they can carry, the deepest part of the ocean and having to deal with life and death to do so. Leaving behind lived ones behind, thinking about them when at sea, thinking about the sea on land, not knowing if they would return to do this over again. Caught between two storm colliding eachother and being right stuck in the middle of it, making it a perfect storm.
April 10, 2016
The who's who of 90s films all given Boston accents and told to fight cg waves.
January 31, 2016
Let's put a boat in the middle of three storms....
I know this is a tribute to the fisherman, but this is plain stupidity.
Positives: Waves scary as hell; Portugal mention
Negatives: I value money more than my life cliché; Way too many people to be rescued; Depressing.
January 26, 2016
One of the best movies of all time!
½ January 1, 2016
these guys are too good looking to work on a fishing boat
December 13, 2015
Movie afternoon with Iris.

Christmas decs up, dark Sunday afternoon; and this the perfect film. The melodrama is cranked up to 11, but it's a perfect popcorn flick. You will them to safety, and Iris didn't expect the ending.
December 8, 2015
The Perfect Storm is a fun, disaster movie, but its inevitable ending makes the film feel a bit uneven.
October 26, 2015
Long and agonizing story with anticlimactic end making one wonder why I even bothered to watch this boring film.
½ September 20, 2015
Its thrilling carnival-esque mentality seems at odds with its downer, true-to-life ending.
½ August 24, 2015
A film I enjoyed when it first came out, only to truly reveal itself over the last 15 years. The true story of the Andrea Gail really captivated and devastated us Massachusetts residents when it played out in real life. It wasn't until Hollywood sunk its teeth into the project that it all went wrong. The movie today feels like it was made for all the wrong reasons, which it was. The cheese factor is astronomical. And so is the heights of the bad dialogue/acting/accents. No one really knows what happened to/on the Andrea Gail. But this movie thinks it does and it's a slap in the face in numerous ways.
½ August 14, 2015
Decent adaptation from the novel. Sadly, both are uninteresting and sleep-inducing
½ June 4, 2015
I think you'll be glad once the storm is over, but sure enough, I've seen worse movies.