Pete's Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pete's Dragon Reviews

September 13, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time. The music is cute and the story is fun.
September 13, 2017
I give credit towards some of the interaction between the live-action humans and the cartoon dragon and the year when this was released render it immune to criticism towards clearly fake special effects. It's almost as if he's there, am I right? I have to remind myself how truly well done they are. You can almost touch the ink and paint used to create the dragon. It is a bit hard to detect sarcasm in something that's typed rather than spoken, isn't it? Mickey Rooney is the best thing to come out of this flawed movie. Who claims that a kid stepped on their wet cement when it is clear that those footprints are clearly of either a dragon or a dinosaur? And no one even accuses him of practicing witchcraft. This movie takes place in the 1900s, for Pete's sake (pun intended). And there's no explanation as to where Elliott came from or how he and Pete met. You see, these flaws are what make the 2016 remake one that looks unnecessary upon your first glance. The songs won't hold a dear place in my heart like the soundtrack of the movies from the Disney Renaissance but there's still some charm in them although they contribute to a ridiculously longer runtime than it deserves to be. I don't claim that it's illegal for any movie categorized as animation to be above 90-100 minutes meaning I chastised Cars, Sing, The Incredibles and Ratatouille for breaking those rules but this movie feels like it's moving at a slow pace. And the runtime's also responsible for the dragon, as a visible being, not having enough screen time. Money, how did it work back then? The original Pete's Dragon has its moments and it's somehow worth it to see Mickey Rooney panic drunkenly about seeing a dragon but if I were you, I'd stick with the remake. That movie was nearly heartbreaking, in a good way.
½ September 6, 2017
I never so the day coming when I would rate a Disney movie so low, yet here it is. "Pete's Dragon" is another big scale Disney live action musical with an animated dragon that had more soul than the entire movie. The animated character was the only thing that was alive in the movie! Maybe this showed Disney that they should focus on animation, maybe it didn't. The thing is this was a dull movie, excruciatingly long, but with no passion. It was a mix of bad songs and bad dialogues. The thing that I want to stress the most is that "Pete's Dragon" had a potential for a good story but they never figured how to tell a good story. I want to watch the remake in the hopes they found a way to do it justice. It's crazy but Disney really enetered a dark age of counterproductiveness only to be saved by its Renaissance!
July 13, 2017
True Disney Magic Classic!
June 15, 2017
Bad boring garbage classic Disney movie starring some random people. I don't see why people love this movie and call it a classic, I don't think so. The only reason I watched this movie is so I could compare it to the new petes dragon and I want to see the new one. Because this movie sucks, I'm so glad that Disney rebooted this.
June 9, 2017
I tried to like this movie, I really did
May 27, 2017
Netflix usa please put this movie on streaming,
May 21, 2017
Not a good movie I did not enjoy this show I would say not entertaining for me
March 3, 2017
Some of the special effects can be impressive, but the rest of the movie is a tone deaf mess. C-
½ December 30, 2016
Truly awful and painful to watch!!!
December 18, 2016
One of the all-time great family movies from a much gentler era.
½ November 29, 2016
The outdated special effects are forgivable, but 1977's "Pete's Dragon" can't make up for ear-grating musical numbers and a story that can't match the whimsy of its premise.
October 10, 2016
Pete's Dragon is harmless and charming enough to entertain young children, but its bloated running time, bland characters, and slow pacing don't delight on the same level as it's special effects
½ October 3, 2016
"Mi Amigo el Dragón" es una cinta que ha envejecido mal, no solo por la combinación entre animación y acción real, sino por una historia demasiado dulzona acerca de un niño llamado Pete y su amistad con un torpe dragón llamado Elliott. Los números musicales no son de los mejores de los estudios Disney y las actuaciones de Mickey Rooney, Shelley Winters y de la cantante Helen Reddy son estereotipadas y, en más de una ocasión, ridículas. Sin embargo, la premisa no deja de ser original.
½ September 28, 2016
Not too bad. A little on and off at times, but not too bad overall. Saw most of it once when I was really young, and I was glad to see it fully today. I felt a tad bit bored during some parts, but the animation/real-life mix I must admit is quite good for it's time. Some the story arch could've been improved, but much of the action and special effects were pretty spot-on (not to mention seeing Mickey Rooney on the set). I may not remember the film much as a child, but Elliot has always been a catching character to me. Certainly not the best two hours and nine minutes of a lifetime, but still another decent musical number with an animated dragon to steal the show.
September 2, 2016
It's really a less-than-memorable entry from Walt Disney studios
It's overly-long and there are far too many musical numbers, not to mention there's a lot of dark material for kids
But the mixture of live-action and animation is cool to look at
Elliot the dragon is pretty much a way for little Pete to escape his abusive environment and find happyness
So when they both arrive in this town its citizens need help of their own
It's corny but I got some chuckles
August 31, 2016
Pete's Dragon is a simplistic, silly, lightweight film with songs and animation that are inconsistent in quality.
August 21, 2016
With the new movie out i think it's time to review an overlooked "classic" from disneys animated arsenal. Long story short the film was very forgettable, i can't remember a single line of dialogue from the movie and alot of the times i find myself thinking of other movies like Mary Poppins and chitty chitty bang bang. That can never be a good sign for any movie. But outside of it being just a bland and forgettable movie is it really that bad on its own merits. kind of kind of not, It's overly whimsical to the point it feels like a 90's bluth movie and doesn't at all feel timeless like most disney movies do. It feels like every 70's kids movie ever made no scratch that it feels like every 60's kids movie ever made. It was dated even when it first came out, but inspite of that it never passed the threshold from generic to bad. There's just enough cheese factor and imagination to make it passable, there's also not anything really bad enough to make it a dud either so in the end it's a serviceable film to entertain kids but if your older than 8 you can sweep this under the rug.
August 21, 2016
This was a film in the vein of Flight of the navigator, E.T, Goonies, it was the type of nostalgic late 70's 80's kids films that Super 8 failed to fully capture. Pete's dragon is a fantastic family film which you'll be able to watch on Sunday afternoons with all the family and have a warm happy feeling afterwards
½ August 20, 2016
Pete's Dragon was my favorite Disney movie when I was growing up, but I hadn't watched it since I was little. Recently, I've revisited many films I loved as a child only to be disappointed by them. So naturally, I was afraid the same was going to happen to the one I loved the most.

The film is about a boy, Pete, who has escaped with his dragon, Elliot, from his abusive foster family. The two of them come to the town of Passamaquoddy, where they meet a lighthouse owner, Nora (Helen Reddy) and her father, played by Mickey Rooney.

As far as the music goes, the songs are some of Disney's best. It's hard to point out highlights, since all of them are so memorable. My favorite might be the film's first song, "The Happiest Home in These Hills," which is as memorable of an opening as could be. They say that in most films, the part you remember the least is the beginning. But in Pete's Dragon, it's one of the best scenes. The choreography and the creepiness of Pete's orphan family chasing him through the swampy forest is still ingrained in my head all these years later and sets the tone for the rest of the film.

But the dark tone shifts a lot throughout and we end up getting more of a campy musical feel the rest of the way out. But at least that's what it wants to be.

Elliot, the dragon, is as adorable as any Disney character. He brightens up the screen whenever he's on it. In fact, the biggest problem is probably the fact that he only gets 22 minutes of total screen time in a movie that's 134 minutes.

It's still better than the original plan, which was to have him absent in the movie altogether. Instead, remaining in Pete's imagination only. What we get is better than nothing.

Most films back then aren't without their issues, and neither is Pete's Dragon. It has its fair share of plot holes. It doesn't make much sense why Pete waits almost the entire movie to show Elliot to Nora. He has no reason to hide him from her. But if you throw in nostalgia, these things don't really matter as much.

It's a fun movie. Kids will enjoy it, and it's completely tolerable for adults.

Twizard Rating: 92