Pete's Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pete's Dragon Reviews

May 27, 2017
Netflix usa please put this movie on streaming,
May 21, 2017
Not a good movie I did not enjoy this show I would say not entertaining for me
March 3, 2017
Some of the special effects can be impressive, but the rest of the movie is a tone deaf mess. C-
½ December 30, 2016
Truly awful and painful to watch!!!
December 18, 2016
One of the all-time great family movies from a much gentler era.
½ November 29, 2016
The outdated special effects are forgivable, but 1977's "Pete's Dragon" can't make up for ear-grating musical numbers and a story that can't match the whimsy of its premise.
October 10, 2016
Pete's Dragon is harmless and charming enough to entertain young children, but its bloated running time, bland characters, and slow pacing don't delight on the same level as it's special effects
½ October 3, 2016
"Mi Amigo el Dragón" es una cinta que ha envejecido mal, no solo por la combinación entre animación y acción real, sino por una historia demasiado dulzona acerca de un niño llamado Pete y su amistad con un torpe dragón llamado Elliott. Los números musicales no son de los mejores de los estudios Disney y las actuaciones de Mickey Rooney, Shelley Winters y de la cantante Helen Reddy son estereotipadas y, en más de una ocasión, ridículas. Sin embargo, la premisa no deja de ser original.
½ September 28, 2016
Not too bad. A little on and off at times, but not too bad overall. Saw most of it once when I was really young, and I was glad to see it fully today. I felt a tad bit bored during some parts, but the animation/real-life mix I must admit is quite good for it's time. Some the story arch could've been improved, but much of the action and special effects were pretty spot-on (not to mention seeing Mickey Rooney on the set). I may not remember the film much as a child, but Elliot has always been a catching character to me. Certainly not the best two hours and nine minutes of a lifetime, but still another decent musical number with an animated dragon to steal the show.
September 2, 2016
It's really a less-than-memorable entry from Walt Disney studios
It's overly-long and there are far too many musical numbers, not to mention there's a lot of dark material for kids
But the mixture of live-action and animation is cool to look at
Elliot the dragon is pretty much a way for little Pete to escape his abusive environment and find happyness
So when they both arrive in this town its citizens need help of their own
It's corny but I got some chuckles
August 31, 2016
Pete's Dragon is a simplistic, silly, lightweight film with songs and animation that are inconsistent in quality.
August 21, 2016
With the new movie out i think it's time to review an overlooked "classic" from disneys animated arsenal. Long story short the film was very forgettable, i can't remember a single line of dialogue from the movie and alot of the times i find myself thinking of other movies like Mary Poppins and chitty chitty bang bang. That can never be a good sign for any movie. But outside of it being just a bland and forgettable movie is it really that bad on its own merits. kind of kind of not, It's overly whimsical to the point it feels like a 90's bluth movie and doesn't at all feel timeless like most disney movies do. It feels like every 70's kids movie ever made no scratch that it feels like every 60's kids movie ever made. It was dated even when it first came out, but inspite of that it never passed the threshold from generic to bad. There's just enough cheese factor and imagination to make it passable, there's also not anything really bad enough to make it a dud either so in the end it's a serviceable film to entertain kids but if your older than 8 you can sweep this under the rug.
August 21, 2016
This was a film in the vein of Flight of the navigator, E.T, Goonies, it was the type of nostalgic late 70's 80's kids films that Super 8 failed to fully capture. Pete's dragon is a fantastic family film which you'll be able to watch on Sunday afternoons with all the family and have a warm happy feeling afterwards
½ August 20, 2016
Pete's Dragon was my favorite Disney movie when I was growing up, but I hadn't watched it since I was little. Recently, I've revisited many films I loved as a child only to be disappointed by them. So naturally, I was afraid the same was going to happen to the one I loved the most.

The film is about a boy, Pete, who has escaped with his dragon, Elliot, from his abusive foster family. The two of them come to the town of Passamaquoddy, where they meet a lighthouse owner, Nora (Helen Reddy) and her father, played by Mickey Rooney.

As far as the music goes, the songs are some of Disney's best. It's hard to point out highlights, since all of them are so memorable. My favorite might be the film's first song, "The Happiest Home in These Hills," which is as memorable of an opening as could be. They say that in most films, the part you remember the least is the beginning. But in Pete's Dragon, it's one of the best scenes. The choreography and the creepiness of Pete's orphan family chasing him through the swampy forest is still ingrained in my head all these years later and sets the tone for the rest of the film.

But the dark tone shifts a lot throughout and we end up getting more of a campy musical feel the rest of the way out. But at least that's what it wants to be.

Elliot, the dragon, is as adorable as any Disney character. He brightens up the screen whenever he's on it. In fact, the biggest problem is probably the fact that he only gets 22 minutes of total screen time in a movie that's 134 minutes.

It's still better than the original plan, which was to have him absent in the movie altogether. Instead, remaining in Pete's imagination only. What we get is better than nothing.

Most films back then aren't without their issues, and neither is Pete's Dragon. It has its fair share of plot holes. It doesn't make much sense why Pete waits almost the entire movie to show Elliot to Nora. He has no reason to hide him from her. But if you throw in nostalgia, these things don't really matter as much.

It's a fun movie. Kids will enjoy it, and it's completely tolerable for adults.

Twizard Rating: 92
August 20, 2016
"Pete's Dragon" is a fun older Disney flick that has a lot of charm and a lot of fun. Who doesn't love the dragon.
½ August 18, 2016
It was a really nice, really fun and really entertaining Disney live-action/animated family musical fantasy comedy adventure. It had really well done cinematography, really nice animation, really great special effects, really great cast, really fun songs, really great adventure, really nice humor, really great costumes and a really nice story. This is going to be one of my favorite Disney live-action/animated films of the 70s. I really recommend this movie to both children and adults.
August 13, 2016
I love this movie so much! Still really great for kids, unique idea, good story and morals and beautiful songs! These critics are up their own butts too much.
August 12, 2016
This is a classic. I love petes dragon and always will.
August 12, 2016
Unfortunately it's too campy, corny, cheezy, annoying, long and dull. Also cliche and nonsensical with bad acting. The animation was kinda neat...ish...for the 70s, but overall I just couldn't care. Plus I am not a fan of musicals, especially gay Disney ones.