Philadelphia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Philadelphia Reviews

½ October 4, 2016
every scene makes me cry.. at that moment i want to be andy's lawyer ill make them eat their all accusations .. don't just sandbagged HIV people respect and understand them.
love your joke ' what do you call a thousand of lawyer chained at the bottom of the sea ? answer: good start.. love the soundtrack..
September 25, 2016
Two of the best actors of the past 30 years are well equipped to handle this sensitive subject. It may seem a little dated now, but it broke some important misconceptions at the time. I still use Washingtons line "Explain it to me as if I were an 8 year old" whenever I don't understand something.
September 23, 2016
A very sad movie, well acted. I enjoyed it very much.
August 9, 2016
An engaging drama with strong performances and some genuinely great moments.
July 9, 2016
Philadelphia is without a doubt, a gem from the 90s. The acting is captivating and the story is good even if it is cliche
½ May 8, 2016
Generic courtroom drama that gets extra points for it's taboo subject matter and superb acting performances by Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, and Jason Robards.
May 5, 2016
Tom Hanks as a prominent Philadelphia attorney who is terminated because he has AIDS virus. He hires a homophobic personal injury lawyer to help him take his case to court.
April 29, 2016
I see some of the reviews stating the importance of the film as it was the first to deal with the medical, social, and political issues of AIDS. However put that aside and it ends up being a slow paced drama that doesn't build the tension some other law film do. The stella performances from Hanks and Washington make it a decent but far from great film.
March 19, 2016
Tom Hanks delivers yet another tremendously powerful performance. It's sensible he won the best actor Academy Award for that year.
March 12, 2016
Outstanding movie.!!!
½ March 6, 2016
A good film raising awareness about discrimination in the workplace. It also put the city in a different light that I have not seen before.
½ February 9, 2016
When I was about to go watch Cast Away on Netflix, the Apple TV wasn't working which all I had to do in order to entertain my sister and I, is to watch TV. I saw that Philadelphia was on one of the channels, and I wanted to watch it because I was bored, and to waste some time, which turned out to be a really great movie. Tom Hanks is really great in this and does a good job playing a homosexual man that never seem to be obvious which would've been stereotypical. When the his character has AIDS, you can see the stages of it which the make-up people did a great job of making it look realistic, and Tom Hanks as well for giving a sense of what would a person act like if they have AIDS. The story is really interesting, even if it's like other courtroom dramas. The writing is well done, and the characters are well developed. It's funny at times, and the direction by Jonathan Demme is well-shotted. The courtroom scenes are really interesting and are usually the best part on the film. Denzel Washington gives a great performance which with him and Tom Hanks together in a movie with a talented director, gives a memorable movie that probably stands out from other court drama movies.
January 12, 2016
One of the few movies that givens an unflinching look at the horrible disease the is AIDS. This is a movie filled with great performances especially Tom Hanks. No matter your view on gays or AIDS patients, when a law has been broken everyone has a right to make their voice heard. The one thing that I didn't like in this movie is that after Denzel's character claims to his wife that he doesn't like gays, soon after he makes a complete 360 turn and decides to help Andrew(the gay with AIDS).
December 20, 2015
Affecting take on the AIDS crisis.
December 12, 2015
One of the most heart-breaking films I've ever seen, Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington both give powerful touching performances, one as a gay attorney fired because he has aids and the other as the counselor who represents him in court and his sympathy overides his disgust for homosexuals and the deadly disease.
October 2, 2015
This mawkish movie is about AIDS. AIDS sucks and so does this movie. The actors are likely gay in real life.
October 2, 2015
An incredible and powerful film.
October 1, 2015
Can I change all my embarrassing reviews?
September 30, 2015
One of the first movies to deal with delicate matters like AIDS, homosexuality and intolerance at the time of its release. Although not altogether memorable, this is a praise-worthy effort that relies on some great performances and proves to be a deeply touching experience.
½ September 17, 2015
If you've seen a courtroom drama, you've seen them all, most of the time. And while that does apply here, the performances from Washington & Hanks and the importance of this story are what make Philadelphia different from any other courtroom drama.