Philadelphia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Philadelphia Reviews

½ September 11, 2017
Definitely Hanks' most underrated performance.
September 7, 2017
Philadelphia is an amazing movie with a terrific performance by Tom Hanks! The story and aids and gay awareness is really deep and it shows a lot. The character Tom Hanks plays has aids and his boss fires him and him he thinks it's because he has aids and he's gay. It's a really sad but powerful movie!
September 5, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time
August 5, 2017
5/5. An emotional gut-punch of a movie with powerful performances from the whole cast, especially Hanks and Washington.
July 5, 2017
Entertaining court battle. Kinda sad ending with video of him as a kid
July 1, 2017
As if one prejudice wasn't controversial enough, this movie tackles both homophobia and racism in a movie that explores homosexuality and the AIDS virus. In an attempt to hide his disease, Hank's is fired by his law firm supposedly on the grounds of incompetence, which is debatable given his recent promotion by the directors themselves. Whilst battling his illness, he enlists the help of fellow barrister Denzel Washington, himself fearful of contracting the disease, but sympathising with the victim as a result of his own battle against racism. Together they fight for justice, with the outcome typically revealed moments before Hank's is hospitalised. It's quite a gripping tale which will split audiences right down the middle with its appeal and decision to tackle such taboo subjects on the big screen. Some will be emotional overcome, others left unimpressed, whilst most will enjoy the critically acclaimed production due to its professional depiction of such widespread issues. Can you call this entertainment, or is it an education? It's a tough one to call, but I found it gripping and intriguing throughout. You get a sense of how this will all pan out, but knowing the outcome doesn't detract in any way from the concluding scenes of the movie, in fact you'd be left disappointed if it tried to script this in any other way. Bolstered by A-lister actors, this becomes a memorable viewing, which will leave a lasting impression for many viewers to come.
June 17, 2017
Tom Hanks : again great, just great !
½ March 5, 2017
A very good cast, particularly the main two characters of Hanks & Washington convey the sensitive message very well. Hanks deserved his awards for his performance, stellar.
February 10, 2017
A hard-hitting legal drama with stellar acting from both Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. (First and only full viewing - 12/30/2008)
February 2, 2017
One of Hanks' defining moments. It's a beautiful, sad, uplifting film. Still holds up. Springsteen and Young on the soundtrack just give it that extra oomph.
½ December 8, 2016
Oscar winning drama from 1993 about the ravages of AIDS and its consequences on people's attitudes towards sufferers and workplace discrimination.
The film shows some of the physical scars the disease has and actor Tom Hanks who plays lawyer Andy Blackett, with the help of skillful make-up effects brings some of this across to a mainstream Hollywood audience who in 1993 were on the whole still pretty ignorant about the disease. I have never really liked Hanks in other films. I find him rather bland shall we say but his performance rightly was rewarded with the Best Actor Oscar award that year.
Other cast members include Denzil 'for the movie' Washington as another lawyer who is homophobic but represents Blackett in a court case against his employers for wrongful dismissal.
The film is set in Philadelphia, US.
It really is quite embarrassing to watch some of the misconceptions of the time. I compare it to Mark Fowler in Eastenders in the UK.
November 12, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This amazing film takes the fight on a timely issue, and it wins because of it's developed characterisation and it's poetic and tragic story. It made me cry so much, and engaged me incredibly with it's touching moments and passing humour. This is emphasised ten-fold by the dazzlingly good cast, and the final result is one of the best movies of the early 90s.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does manage to tick a few cliche boxes along the way, and the overall 'plot' is arguably a bit thin for a full 2 hour movie. Three more words? Excessive. Camera. Angles. Oh yep...
VERDICT: A brilliantly touching story that was very pertinent at the time; 'Philadelphia' still packs a huge emotional punch today. What a great film.
November 11, 2016
Philadelphia tries to raise awareness of AIDS and homophobia into the mainstream, resulting in an absorbing and poignant courtroom drama with a heartbreaking performance from Tom Hanks.
½ October 4, 2016
every scene makes me cry.. at that moment i want to be andy's lawyer ill make them eat their all accusations .. don't just sandbagged HIV people respect and understand them.
love your joke ' what do you call a thousand of lawyer chained at the bottom of the sea ? answer: good start.. love the soundtrack..
September 25, 2016
Two of the best actors of the past 30 years are well equipped to handle this sensitive subject. It may seem a little dated now, but it broke some important misconceptions at the time. I still use Washingtons line "Explain it to me as if I were an 8 year old" whenever I don't understand something.
September 23, 2016
A very sad movie, well acted. I enjoyed it very much.
August 9, 2016
An engaging drama with strong performances and some genuinely great moments.
July 9, 2016
Philadelphia is without a doubt, a gem from the 90s. The acting is captivating and the story is good even if it is cliche
½ May 8, 2016
Generic courtroom drama that gets extra points for it's taboo subject matter and superb acting performances by Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, and Jason Robards.