Pierrot le Fou (Pierrot Goes Wild) (Crazy Pete) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pierrot le Fou (Pierrot Goes Wild) (Crazy Pete) Reviews

September 5, 2016
I thought it was nonsense. I usually dig Godard's work but this one was way too weird.
½ July 23, 2016
manic, fluid, relentlessly surprising. like a lucid dream of barnstorming in a lear jet. it just kept unfolding and every spontaneous decision godard makes turns out to be smoothly mind blowing and leads directly into another one. just freaking perfectly enjoyable.
July 10, 2016
This film may not be for everyone, but it is extremely accessible as far as Godard goes. Overall, Pierrot le Fou is a lighthearted romp through the French Countryside, starring two mainstays of Godard's work.
Belmondo and Karina are brilliant as a couple that love and need each other, but are too cool to mean it. They are on the run from arms dealers, but the setting and their misadventures are as flighty as the occasional musical numbers and the villains pursuing them (including a rather menacing midget). Throw in some haphazard philosophical references and you have a film that intellectuals, hippies, couples, etc. can all enjoy.
½ May 15, 2016
- Forgive me, Pierrot
- My name is Ferdinand
February 7, 2016
I didn't love this classic from Jean-Luc Godard, though I appreciate why some people do love it. The colour scheme is great, and the lead performances decent, but the story is told in a disjointed way that just didn't work for me. not a total surprise as I definitely am more a fan of Truffaut. This is an important film though, and worth watching at least once.
November 14, 2015
This film is really pointless.
Robert B.
October 6, 2015
Pierrot Le Fou is a stylish film with a great romantic, hip, blase vibe and sardonic sense of humor. It is good looking as well, the shooting and the leads. The plot is desultory without feeling random. Great if you are feeling relaxed and in the mood for an interesting and cool French film.
½ March 26, 2015
A man leaves his family & runs off with an old girlfriend on a haphazard road trip full of absurdity and tragedy in this avant garde Bonnie & Clyde film.
½ March 9, 2015
There are a lot of beautiful shots and whimsical moments which kept me watching from beginning to end. Unfortunately, I was never able to enter the world of the story, connect with the characters, or feel anything. Most of the quotes and philosophical/poetic pieces of dialog were over my head or too quickly jammed one after the other which gave me no time to reflect on them. This is a wild type of film making that would require multiple viewings for me to try to put together any meaning Godard may be communicating.
February 18, 2015
possibly the most French film you will ever see. The dialogue is mostly gibberish, it's trippy and looks kaleidascopic, and it's amusing in places. The story just about holds up.
February 5, 2015
Historias divergentes descordenadamente apresentadas, despreocupação da realização com o resultado pois vindo de quem a critica será sempre positiva, não fosse a qualidade dos atores e a boa fotografia teria ficado enfurecido até neste caminho para a um final explosivo literalmente.
January 7, 2015
A Godard film I'd actually like to see again. Sort of like a french new wave Bonnie and Clyde. Lots of energy and beautiful use of color.
December 13, 2014
i love every wardrobe that the actress wore :D
December 1, 2014
Jean Luc Godard's madcap film is the product of improvisational filmmaking, a hap-hazard divorce, and an affinity towards American crime stories. Filmed while Godard was having a divorce with the film's star Anna Karina, this background fact definitely adds a personal layer to Pierrot le Fou, especially seeing how crazy the film's storyline gets. Sure, it's customary of Godard's films to have screenplay-writing process that run parallel to the filmmaking, but here the storyline is even more abstract than his previous movies, and ideally sets the stage for his latter ones. It can be confusing to latch on to exactly what the heck is going on in Pierrot le Fou, but it's also very fun and creative, and Godard's winking commentary at consumerism and American culture don't seem dated by today's standards. Rightly one of the director's most popular films, if a bit short of being labeled among his very best.
November 14, 2014
Good fun, if at times long and misguided.
October 15, 2014
Words cannot express how bad the worst scenes are (ie. the majority). The French New Wave more often than not featured what I consider to be faux-depth. The kind of philosophizing that might come from a veteran stripper.

There is one thing that makes this film watchable. It is the charm of Anna Karina. She's mesmerizing in every scene. Despite her playing a terrible character, you want to watch what happens to her. Belmondo is alright, but she steals the show. If not for her, the film isn't watchable. I dare say, some of the romance is ever sweet, at times.

Seems like a precursor to Bonnie & Clyde -- an almost equally bad movie. An attempt to make awful people sympathetic. It never works with me.

Beautifully shot. It has some moments of amusement & spirit. I enjoyed some of the songs ('Ma ligne de chance' is adorable), mainly due to Karina's legitimate appeal -- but the film is painfully self-indulgent. Standard Godard. Probably the most self-serious movie I've seen. Legitimate philosophical quandaries are planted, but never explored. Rather, only to seemingly impress viewers with the mere act of reference, are they even mentioned. Abstract film, ultimately, loses appeal; despite the obligatory art house fawning.
The experimentation & quasi-existentialism age quickly. The single most irritating part of it all is the rapid dual interrupting narration, which couldn't possibly be less interesting. The telling of meaningless stories to one another, & taking them deadly seriously, constantly acting on stupid whims...... enough.

The fake Vietnam War play is among the single stupidest movie scenes I have ever witnessed since my birth. It was so mind-numbingly idiotic, that a half-star deduction was justifiably enforced.
September 16, 2014
One of my favorite films. It seems to grow richer with each viewing. This is cinema pushed, pulled, contorted and manipulated into something that defies genre. Is it about love? Is it about the differences between men and women? Is it political satire? Is it cultural or societal commentary? It is a painfully personal view of heartbreak? Is it a musical? Is it a comedy? Is it a tragedy? ...Any of the above and / or more. This is cinematic magic.
August 26, 2014
weird movie about life and people i guess (i'm sure there are messages i didn't get). had some cute and surprisingly intense/violent scenes though
½ August 10, 2014
Another fourth-wall breaking crime film that is punctuated with clever bits of silliness (driving the car into the water for fun, putting on the "Vietnam War" skit for the sailor, and being unphased by the random dead bodies in various scenes). It's pretty, but I liked some of the other Godard / Karina collabs better.