Pineapple Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pineapple Express Reviews

½ October 9, 2016
Pineapple Express is directed by David Gordon Green, and it stars Seth Rogen, James Franco, Danny McBride, and Gary Cole in a action comedy about a process server that witnessed a murder, and he and his drug dealer are on the run from the people that murdered someone. This is the first film that I've saw that was written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, and to this day, I still find it hilarious. Seth Rogen and James Franco are really good and have a lot of funny moments together with their dialog, whether they both say something stupid, or did something that people will question how their mind works. The plot gets more ridiculous when it keeps going, but that was the intent for it, and the movie makes you wonder about where it's going with its insanity. The chemistry between Seth Rogen and Amber Heard is different from what I usually see, it addresses the problem there, and I like their funny interplay. The villains are a lot of fun to watch, and the fight scene with Seth Rogen and James Franco against Danny McBride is honestly one of the funniest fight scenes that I have seen since probably 22 Jump Street as all of them don't know how to fight at all. The writing by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg is really good in its unexpected moments, and the humor of it that I think this is the film where they know that they succeed in writing comedies. The car chase is not only entertaining to watch, but also really funny which is unpredictable in how the main characters get into this situation, and make it worse. If there's only one problem that I can think of, is that there are some moments that I felt were too stupid for me to accept it in terms of some of the characters's motivations. Other then that, Pineapple Express is a really great film that I'll give it a watch again and be entertained by it.
½ September 24, 2016
I love Rogen, Franco, and Jeong, but this movie was not funny, interesting, or entertaining. Probably because I don't smoke weed, so I wasn't high when I watched it.
September 18, 2016
The ultimate James Franco and Seth Rogen team up comedy!
½ September 16, 2016
This was an okay comedy. I really did not laugh as much as I thought I would. It was silly and even cute at times, but not one of the best out there.
½ September 5, 2016
Really funny for the most part, but nothing all that great
September 5, 2016
The fantastic performance by James Franco isn't enough to make Pineaple Express a remarkable film itself.
September 2, 2016
was never interested...was never gonna be interested
½ August 30, 2016
A funny action stoner buddy comedy that stars Seth Rogen and James Franco.
½ August 9, 2016
Classic stoner movie. Seth Rogan and James Franco never seem to disappoint when they work together and this is no exception. Laugh out loud funny, the only real complaints I have come with the pace of the plot only because the movie goes from stagnant to action very rapidly.
July 29, 2016
alittle bit of a let down.
½ July 29, 2016
A brilliant really funny film from start to finish one of Seths best, Great stoner film, The plot was different and well told and it's suprisingly full of action that's great and full of humour that works well.
July 17, 2016
I laughed, quite a lot.
July 15, 2016
Pineapple Express has a really weak story structure, following a murder that wasn't supposed to be witnessed and pursuit of a rare strain of marijuana. The plot constantly jumps all over the place, and character relationships and allegiances are sometimes lost amid all the chaos. This is not a film that takes itself very seriously though. Maybe it's a cop out to say it, but the way the film progresses like a series of vignettes loosely held together by the overarching plot is sort of forgiven by this.

This is first and foremost comedy, and in that regard, it's a success. Seth Rogen and James Franco really hold the film together, and their chemistry together is absolutely perfect for this kind of film. It only gets better when Danny McBride enters the scene: between the three of them, there's a lot of laughs to be had. Franco in particular is a standout: he's shown just how diverse he is as an actor, and while this isn't a particularly challenging role, it's another role to add to his list of varying characters. Rogen and Evan Goldberg's screenplay and dialogue have a very improvised nature to them (or perhaps dialogue was actually improvised), which allows for plenty of hilarious moments that feel natural for this wacky set of circumstances.

Pineapple Express is pretty easy to recommend overall: if you're looking for even the slightest semblance of intellectuality here, don't bother. But for anyone looking to have a fun time and have plenty of laughs, Rogen and Franco have you covered. It's dumb, and pretty forgettable in the long run (fitting for a stoner comedy), but it's a lot of fun.
July 12, 2016
An outrageous comedy thanks to 'Rogen' and 'Franco'.
July 10, 2016
A comedy goldmine! David Gordon Green directs this movie with a major devotion to craft and pace that is seriously lacking in most comedies nowadays. I love this ridiculously stupid movie!

Here's what separates it from the crop: Green didn't direct it, or shoot it like a typical comedy. It's shot like a '70s crime thriller with a buddy comedy twist.
½ July 7, 2016
Pineapple Express is one of those stoner comedy movies which actually is fun to watch and manages to be smart at the same time. It may not appeal to everyone, but it's a nice mix between a classic runaway action movie and a buddy comedy.
June 30, 2016
good stoner comedy, i love seth and james duo's they are amazing together, roll a joint, kick back and watch this funny stoner comedy
½ June 30, 2016
Watched it AGAIN. This movie kicks ass !
June 30, 2016
Finally got around to watching this and it is a definite must for any comedy lover Rogen and Franco deliver a gut busting performance like no other!!!!
½ June 25, 2016
I feel like it ran kinda long. Lots of dead air in between the gags.