Police Academy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Police Academy Reviews

August 12, 2017
A great classic comedy which I still enjoyed watching 30 years after it was made
½ August 2, 2017
It's a classic, crazy comedy! A
July 21, 2017
Not only one of the greatest comedies ever, but all around great 80's fun film.
June 29, 2017
Slightly dated, but in the best way possible. You can laugh at, or with, or both. There's propbably something to offend everybody in this movie, including the implication that the Police themsleves are more or less racist bro club.
June 18, 2017
É um besteirol clássico, com esteriótipos maçantes e humor rude, funcionou bem na sua época! As piadas são entregues cruas e com pouca imaginação racional. Hoje tudo é muito ofuscado e ultrapassado.
May 24, 2017
Just like great, high school T&A movie, except it takes place at a police academy. The only film I recommend in the series, but I recommend this highly.
May 7, 2017
5/7/2017 (2): A pretty funny flick. One of those silly, but entertaining movies.
½ April 12, 2017
Story about a bunch of dumb idiots who sign up at the police academy and how they go about getting trained. One of my favorite comedies as a kid, but not near as good today. Steve Gutenberg plays the part straight which I enjoy. Much better than playing it goofy like Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey.
March 30, 2017
Police Academy- 4/10
January 30, 2017
Funny and silly. Underrated and judged too harshly, this film and the others in this series are not masterpieces but just plain out fun.
January 6, 2017
first watch this film when it was released i was 7 years old they do not make comedys like this anymore
December 29, 2016
A classic movie. Very funny and entertaining.
October 17, 2016
If the first is this bad, I'm afraid to attempt all 6 sequels. It has a lot of energy but the jokes never land properly.
September 27, 2016
Very funny movie. Top quality comedy. Well done.
September 3, 2016
I still get lots of laughs out of this. It has lots of great characters in High Tower, Mahoney, Jones and my favourite Tackleberry. Harris is such a cunt and an excellent villain. A double twitch off Callahan and Thompson.
August 30, 2016
What the heck was so bad about this!?
August 29, 2016
The whole movie was hilarious, particularly whenever the Blue Oyster showed up.
February 21, 2016
Enjoyed this. Forgot how funny this movie is!
January 24, 2016
With dedicated performances from the actors, memorable plot, memorable characters, hysterical jokes, and VERY memorable scenes, "Police Academy" is a film that never takes itself too seriously and is highly recommended from me.
November 22, 2015
Despite the fact these films are known to be trash this franchise is probably one of the most well known (and in some cases loved) franchises around the world with some of the most well known characters. This film kick started a phenomenon that has influenced many other films in the spoof genre, made stars out of most of its cast and has actually lasted virtually to the present day, gotta give kudos.

So the plot is horrifically simple, a group of bums, criminals and nut jobs all join the Police Academy in the hopes of becoming police officers. This has recently become possible because the mayor has abolished the old school rules about height, weight, colour (yes colour folks!!), fitness levels etc...so anyone can join. This infuriates the police Chief so he orders the Police Academy Cmndt. to try and get the new unsavory recruits to quit voluntarily by any means possible.

Now bare in mind this film came out in 1984 because a lot of what you see is now incredibly dated and not really funny. There are still moments which raise a giggle for sure but on the whole this is childish adult toilet humour by the bucket load. Its no real surprise considering the era, this type of stuff was the height of popularity at the time with films like 'Meatballs', 'Airplane', 'Caddyshack' and 'Stripes' doing the rounds.

The film is a character orientated piece naturally, the toilet humour is a strong ingredient but the characters are the key. Looking back its all so very cliched and dated but the characters do still work at times. I personally never liked Guttenberg's character of Mahoney as he was such a damn goodie goodie, for me it was Tackleberry, Jones, Fackler and Harris, all these guys were the funniest in this film in my opinion.

All their quirky individual qualities are fun to watch and do allow you to care about them, slightly. Loved how Tackleberry was basically a gun nut and completely dangerous, in this day n age that kind of character could almost be controversial. As a kid everybody used to try and copy Winslow's motormouth antics although watching now it doesn't quite have that wow factor anymore, more annoying actually. Love how Fackler basically doesn't belong in the police force, totally inept yet very likeable. Lassard comes across as a kind old bumbling grandfather type character, also very likeable, and of course Harris as the arse kissing jobsworth who is always sucking up to his superiors but really deep down you know he's actually a good cop.

As with other slobby frat house type films this doesn't disappoint on the female front. The main eye candy is supplied by Easterbrook and her chest as Callahan and the stunning Cattrall who really looks so amazingly cute my God! As you would expect there is much boob cleavage throughout, naughty talk and a rather dirty sex act hinted at. This is one of the things that separates the first two Academy films from the rest, the first two are more directed at an adult audience which equals the odd moment of titty action, nudity, swearing, homosexuality, close to the line violence/action and even a bit of racism believe it or not.

Also with all the other films there are individual characters that pop up for that film but we don't see again. The quality of these characters varied a lot but in this film we get the most amusing Donovan Scott as Cadet Leslie Barbara who looks like a young Dom Deluise, Brant Von Hoffman as Cadet Kyle Blankes and Scott Thomson as Cadet Chad Copeland who are both really good as the dumb sidekicks or henchmen for Harris. The sequence/s in the Blue Oyster Bar are an undeniably good laugh and continual joke yet probably rather un-PC these days.

What really makes me laugh is recalling when I used to watch this as a kid and not really understanding half of it and not caring. After this rewatch its amazing to see how much makes no sense at all, like why does Jones have this microphone on him all the time? so he can play jokes on people with his voice obviously, but is it battery operated? how does he always have it?? must be a big bit of kit this is 84 after all. How come all the recruits do end up passing through even though they are all crap and most don't actually do anything in the finale showdown. And how about all the hideously obvious over acting, exaggerated prat falls to cause incidents and accidents etc...

Plus that blowjob sequence is actually pretty racy and sick if you think about it, this hooker will pretty much suck anyone off, as demonstrated at the very end (guess that's why she's a hooker). I never understood what was happening in that scene as a kid haha and you'd never see something like that in the later films.

These films have become a bit of an institution really, love em or hate em you can't deny how iconic they actually are. Look at the main score for the film, that alone is a pretty classic bit of movie history right there, everyone knows what it is and can recognise it, its up there with such scores as 'Star Wars' and 'Jaws'.

It was never meant to be anything remotely serious, more along the lines of the [i]National Lampoon's[/i] franchise if anything, only thing missing was John Belushi. Its utterly childish and puerile now and it was the same back in the day too, but no one ever tried to cover that up, that's exactly what the film offered take it or leave it. Personally I like this film because of the adult edge to it, gives it some credibility unlike the later films which just become like cartoons. Its not an all out spoof so don't think of the excellent Leslie Nielsen type tomfoolery, but it is fun in places and does offer up quite a neat original little plot (for the time).