The Power of One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Power of One Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
Some great performances, but it's just a weepy teen drama, disguised as a political statement. I was bored.
June 28, 2016
I enjoyed this movie since first seeing it in my teens.. I didn't understand it at first it took time. Now I can see it within the context of those decades having learned about the movements and the oppression. There are words that stand out for me..words Geel Peit said to P.K. "when little beats big.. he is smart.. first with the head then with the heart". I very much wish to read the novel and I wonder if the movie follows the novel closely. The interweaving of the story of a boy becoming a man, under care of a German pacifist who is imprisoned, his eventual romance with the daughter of the intellectual responsible for the ideas behind the laws that make apartheid, his fateful meeting with a boxer that changes his course to become a teacher to teach English to people of any tribe. It's a great story even though I can see how it centers around a young white man whom has a myth spread about him that he is a rainmaker, a man of myth people can believe in. He could have been African from Alexandria. We too often see the graceful roles given to whites even when it doesn't fit the story. Is this story complete in the main character or could it have been changed to be about a young black man rising to be a hero to the people of South Africa ? for all it's incompleteness and questionable moments, this film still has good spirit and that is reflected beautifully in the actors actresses, the sense of community and the surreal reflections on nature. One character says nature has the answers.
½ May 19, 2016
gr8 movie another lost review & film debut of future Bond Daniel Craig
February 28, 2016
The best/realest part was reading the narrative at the start and end of the film, especially considering the time the movie first came out. The actual story seems to me to be more in the style of an Isabel Allende type of magical realism.
½ February 11, 2016
I enjoyed this movie!
September 26, 2015
...in which a young white boy is chosen to end apartheid but never actually ends apartheid
½ April 19, 2015
The Power of One is an OK movie that shows the journey of an English boy trying to make a difference in the world. The thing holding this movie back is that it never really grabbed my attention. There is nothing in this movie that was above average. Some of the acting (Armin Mueller-Stahl and Morgan Freeman) was good, but many of the characters were not acted out very well.
January 9, 2015
Interesting story but flawed as well
December 28, 2014
I believe it's a good fiction movie with lots of drama and action. Would have liked a movie that is factually correct and closer to the truth since Zimbabwe and Natal are mostly English and there were no black massacres by whites. Statistics have it that about 24 000 black on black killings and 618 white on black by the state occurred from 1945 till 1994. When considering gruesome crimes, BEE and farm killings whites are treated much worse and blacks were even better treated during apartheid. What did Afrikaans people had to do with the Natzi's? Lol! My whole community, family, school and church always believed what the Germans did were wrong. SA fought for against Germany like all the other countries. I am waiting for someone to pick up facts and write a proper story like it was. Interesting and a vivid imagination
½ December 20, 2014
It has some really great acting, but it's overlong and just not as interesting as it could be.
May 25, 2014
The Power of One Star Ratings. Every second of the movie, P.K.'s friends and family either die, leave, or get very injured. The movie is ridiculous. It pretends to be inspiring, but in the end, it was really just a big pile of junk. I hated the ending. The fight was too predictable and it had a lame ending. P.K. didn't win the fight. His friend saved him. What a waste of time. It's hard to feel bad for P.K. losing friends and family when someone new dies every minute. Morgan Freeman is unfortunately a glorified cameo. He was the only death I felt bad about. But that is only because I like Morgan Freeman.
½ April 30, 2014
Despite some info-dumping narration and unresolved plot threads, The Power of One makes for gripping emotional entertainment. Great performances, a stirring African score by Hans Zimmer and dashes of bloody viscerality utterly entrance.
½ October 26, 2013
Real good Movie! Awesome story
½ September 25, 2013
one of the best made films of all times. touch my heart
½ August 18, 2013
Good movie, Well done Stephen Dorff haha ;)
½ July 12, 2013
It's a pretty powerful movie if you don't think too hard about it.
May 8, 2013
The worst movie I've ever seen. Not even worth half a star. It's dreadful and depressing in every way. Don't watch it, destroy it if you see copies sitting around on shelves. Just destroy it.
½ May 6, 2013
Often exploitative, the true callousness of the film fully emerges in its final sequence: a white boy finishing off his school nemesis becomes the focus for emotional good guy vs. bad guy catharsis. NEVERMIND bothering with attempting to say something about the nature and solution to apartheid!
April 19, 2013
A good director and its got Stephen Dorff and Morgan Freeman. I can't remember quite what was wrong with it.