The Prestige - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prestige Reviews

August 15, 2017
Definitely not a five star film, but quite entertaining! I give this movie a *4* star rating.
August 11, 2017
This intricate, unique, dark, and brooding drama about an intense rivalry is better every time you watch it. The movie is played out like a magic trick and the execution is truly genius. You have to pay attention to every little detail in this movie if you want even a chance to understand the stunning conclusion. I loved this movie and look forward to seeing it multiple times more. The way the twist is so evident upon other viewings is and undetectable the first time around, and that is the most perplexing yet masterful quality of the film.
½ August 7, 2017
0/10
Ending is so weak. Magic is not worth the pain.
½ August 5, 2017
Christopher Nolan's most underrated film by far.
Beats Insomnia
Beats Batman Begins
Beats Interstellar
I just wish more people could've watched it.
August 3, 2017
The Prestige is about how magic performances are designed to make us question our reality if only for a moment before we remember to question the performance. Focusing in on this Nolan not only provides a great tense and entertaining story of two performers struggling bitterly to make the other question his reality and his perception of it, but the director also makes us question the reality of the film and the performance of the stars.
½ August 3, 2017
Take a movie plot, put it in a blender, mix it, put it on screen
½ July 30, 2017
I loved this movie so much that I didn't see the flaws in the film until I realized weeks later and even after couldn't care less. Nolan makes magic a very serious subject indeed which is impressive.
July 24, 2017
The Prestige is driven by a intriguing plot that gets better at the movie goes along. Bale and Jackman do excellent jobs playing rival magicians. The Prestige, however, lacks from compelling cinematography and can be tedious in the first third.
July 22, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: As far as I'm concerned, Christopher Nolan's 'The Prestige' really is one of the most ambitious and profound films of the twenty-first century. I mean honestly let's just consider for a moment what this movie does - for a start it's in many ways a film literally about itself; a paradox of narratives that weave seamlessly and beautifully and allow Nolan to not only discuss his themes in front of the audience, but literally involve them in the deception and intrigue he's talking about. It's a magic trick of its own making, and the way it aims to fool and encourage the audience into the ideas brings an incredible sense leaving the theatre - the feeling that something integral has been proved about your very perception and interpretations of not only what you've just witnessed, but also perhaps your entire life.
This truly incredible magical trickery is only possible though (in the words of the film itself in fact) if there's a show to distract the audience from their own willing ignorance, and on that front Nolan amazingly delivers what is probably his most immersive character experience of all (in part thanks to his incredible lead actors) that not only brings another layer of brilliance to the whole experience, but also serves to prove that Nolan is completely bang-on about what he's saying - we don't really want to know the truth after all.
As a result of all this, The Prestige is one of the few films that literally lays out its stance on its ideas and actually succeeds, as not only does it do so completely in the shadow of your absorption; it also genuinely proves everything to you by the end. You've been completely fooled, and the fact it's so engaging and deceptive means that even after countless re-watches, Nolan is proved so right, and equally proved as the directorial king of this generation.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Nolan is right. Once you fully know the secret, even though you want to be fooled, the final Prestige can lose some of its first gut-punching impact.
VERDICT: 'The Prestige' is a two-hour magic trick? with an awful lot to tell and an equal amount to engage. Christopher Nolan's best film is pure, brilliant genius, and it will always be one if my all-time favourites.
July 21, 2017
A compelling face off movie where the protagonist or the antagonist, depends on how you look at them, race not to bring down their enemy but in fact their own personal doom. It is a compelling watch where trade secret is protected to extent unimaginable, which will put our modern age conglomerates to shame. Each and every actor, other than Ms. Johansson, in not matter how small screen time put up a bloody good show. Perfect in every respect and deserve your undivided attention while you are looking at the screen. Lock your boy friend, girlfriend, kids in the basement and go for it. You are already forgiven.
July 17, 2017
A very amazing movie done perfectly from beginning to end. Not one flaw honestly.
July 15, 2017
I think this is my favorite Christopher Nolan film.
½ July 14, 2017
The Prestige:

Pros:
- Fantastic Acting

- Amazing Direction

- Very Interesting Plot

- Brilliant Cinematography

- Terrific Script

- Magnificent Editing

- Shocking Plot Twist

- Very Complex Themes

- Visually Appealing in terms of Production Design and Costumes

Cons:
- A Little Bit Draggy

Overall: A (9.5/10)
July 12, 2017
Christoper Nolan's masterful direction and the cast's haunting, intense performance makes The Prestige one of the eeriest and intriguing movies of all time.
July 11, 2017
The Prestige has to one of the weakest films that Christopher Nolan ever put out, but still I love it's ambition. The Prestige is directed by Christopher Nolan, from a screenplay adapted by Nolan and his brother Jonathan from Christopher Priest's 1995 novel of the same name.

The story of the film follows with Robert Angier and Alfred Borden, stage magicians performers in late 19th century London and America . Both obsessed with creating the best stage illusion, they engage in competitive one-upmanship with tragic results. The film stars Hugh Jackman as Robert Angier, Christian Bale as Alfred Borden, and David Bowie as Nikola Tesla. It also stars Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Piper Perabo, Andy Serkis, and Rebecca Hall.

The one thing that I like about the prestige is his ambition, of how competition works mainly with the two actors Christian Bale and Huge Jackman, both did a fantastic job with the characters. For saying that I love Christopher Nolan's films, it's very ambitious and ambiguous. It does show the weakness of the story. I have never read the book, for seeing this film back into 2007, it's really quite curious to read the book.

The moral of the story is really shows by what competition can drive through and vengeful revenge to one another. It shows it's human progression of competition. It's not really mainly on the performance of magic. What Christopher Nolan was trying to drive through is competition and revenge.

I really do like the prestige, I just wish that the film had a stronger ending to it. In the middle of the film I quite know what's going on and how the magicians was doing there bitting onto one another. The cinematography is really good, the direction is really good, but this is one of the stories that I just cannot related to a Christopher Nolan Film. But the ambition of the film of humanity of competition and revenge is such a key to this movie.

Grade: 8.5/ 10
½ July 3, 2017
4.5/5. An excellent thriller that dazzles and twists your expectations.
July 3, 2017
Christopher Nolan once again does a great job showing you what happens, and then explaining all the details that led up to that point. Bale and Jackman do a fantastic job in this movie playing battling magicians that want to both one up and destroy the other. Plenty of twists and reveals keep this movie interesting the whole way through.
June 29, 2017
Watching "The Prestige" is very much like watching a magic show, because while the tricks done in the film aren't all that impressive, since they were seemingly done through special effects and cuts instead of right before our eyes, the drama and how the story unfolds has us guessing and disbelieving and, at the end of it all, feeling fooled (in a good way). The performances are quite good for the most part, and the era is convincingly portrayed and offers a great atmosphere. And Christopher Nolan's signature time-bending storytelling is at full-throttle here. It does feel a bit melodramatic in some moments, but I didn't mind. And not to discredit the director's other films, because I am a big fan, but it felt refreshing to see something that focused less on spectacle. I feel like the movie might have benefited from some simplification, but it's very entertaining, and pays off quite well if you're able to follow everything that's happening.
June 26, 2017
Though this isn't my favorite Christopher Nolan film as the narrative is somewhat predictable and the motivations behind the two lead characters aren't explained in a satisfactory manner but it is entertaining, the cast is great, it looks gorgeous, it handles the back and forth between present and past brilliantly without ever feeling jarring and though the score is perhaps a little underwhelming it works perfectly within the context of the film.