The Prestige - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prestige Reviews

May 24, 2018
Another genius movie by Christopher Nolan where he took a theme of an unexpected magician. The stories that bring between two slumping characters lead to a regret of each deceptive character. With the help of fantastic cast from Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman as main characters, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, and even David Bowie, Christopher Nolan always present various twists like his typical movie. It is a worth watching for all ages and one of the underrated gems but masterpiece I've ever seen.
May 2, 2018
Once the credits roll, "The Prestige" may have hypnotized you.
April 16, 2018
This was so much fun. A period piece (turn of the century) rivalry between two stage magicians set against a backdrop of the Tesla-Edison rivalry turns into a courtroom drama, but no it's a love story, but wait it's science fiction? So many twists. As soon as I finished it I rewound to watch it again because... wait... what just happened? That was so cool! All star cast, solid script. Maybe a bit light on character development. This is definitely all about the complicated plot. Take notes if you have to. Did you make it through Primer or Confluence? Hang on!
½ April 7, 2018
This psychological thriller does have its narrative flaws here and there but its story is too satisfyingly compelling to be ignored with twists and turns that you don't expect it to take. This is accomplished of course by its fantastic leads, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale who play completely opposite yet uniformly obsessive rival magicians. It's also worth noting David Bowie's captivating performance as the mysterious Nikola Tesla. What also makes this film special is how it captures this film as racing mind-bender and as a historical drama with its stunning cinematography and detailed art direction. Overall, "The Prestige" is one not to be missed combining an interesting premise that personifies extreme obsession with a jaw-dropping ending.
½ April 3, 2018
This feels like an extremely personal film coming from Nolan, one that deals with illusion, professional obsession, and the costs it can bring. It also feels a little bloated, with an odd use of flashbacks and twists that surprise less than probably intended.
½ March 25, 2018
I think the movie was more interesting since I knew who Tesla was, this is an important part of the movie.
March 19, 2018
This is a great film about the subjective vs objective. It gives dazzling performances and is engaging almost throughout the film. Its a brilliant film of optical illusions, being fooled, and people deciding to only believe in the illusion rather than the difficult look that went into the illusion.
March 13, 2018
better than a lot of movies noaadays
½ March 13, 2018
Dark, clever. A truly harrowing film and very atmospheric to watch. Throughout the film you are just completely mesemerised generally by the acting, by the emotional aspect of the story of the theme of obsession. This film will require repeated viewings. Oh and by the way, just an advice in preparation of watching this film if you haven't seen it as Christian Bale's character in this film would say: "Are you watching closely?"
March 9, 2018
Saw this a long time back, I think the reason i am a fan of mystery thriller is these films. Aslow burning once in a lifetime experience.
March 3, 2018
Nolan just loves making films that require a second viewing. With a production quality off the chart and a narrative that is immersive with well realised characters. Although the twist ending is somewhat cliché it still works to tie up loose ends.

A-
February 25, 2018
omg. possibly the greatest film ever made. the most genius story ever put to film. I keep saying it's hard for me to believe that it's even possible to come up with such a smart story. Amazing acting throughout. Intense throughout. Seems to get better with each viewing (5 viewings)

SPOILERS

after watching this for a 5th time, i still picked up on things that i don't think i noticed before, which is so impressive of this movie. the biggest one was that i could tell which brother was being portrayed by bale. the one that got married was nicer and calmer and more comforting. the one that sexes scarlett josexy is meaner, short-tempered and cockier. the fact that i could tell who was who, based on very subtle differences in his acting style, he's the GOAT for a reason. bale is a master of his craft.
February 24, 2018
Very enjoyable film.about two magicians who go against each other trying to be the number 1. Throughout they are trying to foil each other , trying to find the secrets behind the tricks. Bale and Jackman are great In their roles
and theres a great supporting cast. The twist at the end keeps you guessing and asking questions which keeps you on the edge of your seat.
February 8, 2018
The movie delivers on it's title, ending with the 'wow' factor of a magic trick - "the Prestige". Taking you through twists and turns throughout the movie certainly keeps with the theme of misdirection in a magician's show, and the audience is never certain what is 100% reality or illusion until the final reveal at the very last frame of the movie.
½ January 29, 2018
(92/100)
Unexpected, smart and brilliant. The Prestige is a thoughtful and well made movie that has very solid groundwork. The thinking that goes into this movie is extraordinary. I loved the setting, tension and characters. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale nail it in this movie together with, of course, Micheal Caine.
January 28, 2018
It's a fun film with plenty of interesting twists - but tends to think of itself as a bit grander and meaningful than it actually is.
½ January 24, 2018
Well-acted period piece about one-upping your biggest rival with a big twist at the end.
½ January 21, 2018
The Prestige is about how magic performances are designed to make us question our reality if only for a moment before we remember to question the performance. Focusing in on this Nolan not only provides a great tense and entertaining story of two performers struggling bitterly to make the other question his reality and his perception of it, but the director also makes us question the reality of the film and the performance of the stars.
January 18, 2018
Amazing movie with a great story. There are plenty of great moments and amazing story telling. One of my personal favorite.
January 13, 2018
Coming from such an accomplished director, this film is so very dull.