The Prestige - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prestige Reviews

½ January 21, 2018
The Prestige is about how magic performances are designed to make us question our reality if only for a moment before we remember to question the performance. Focusing in on this Nolan not only provides a great tense and entertaining story of two performers struggling bitterly to make the other question his reality and his perception of it, but the director also makes us question the reality of the film and the performance of the stars.
January 18, 2018
Amazing movie with a great story. There are plenty of great moments and amazing story telling. One of my personal favorite.
½ January 13, 2018
(93/100)
Unexpected, smart and brilliant. The Prestige is a thoughtful and well made movie that has very solid groundwork. The thinking that goes into this movie is extraordinary. I loved the setting, tension and characters. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale nail it in this movie together with, of course, Micheal Caine.
January 13, 2018
Coming from such an accomplished director, this film is so very dull.
½ January 1, 2018
A fantastic movie. Christian Bale, as always, is wonderful and this may be Hugh Jackman's best. This is a cool period-type film with top notch acting and a unique story. Highly recommend!
December 28, 2017
good movie perfect script and unexpected ending
½ December 27, 2017
One of the best films period.... Jackman and Bale are some of the best actors around ( Bale probably more so )
Unique and enjoyable experience.
December 25, 2017
F

8.1

[Christopher Nolan]
½ December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una intrigante y sorprendente historia, que muestran la gran calidad de su director para atrapar a la audiencia con historias complejas.
November 27, 2017
Great movie (as per when it comes to nolan) Go into this movie knowing as little as possible and you will have a great time. Watch closely.
½ November 13, 2017
Nolan wants to be as much of a master illusionist as his subjects, intending to pull the veil over his audience for a revelation that is plainly predictable. But in an effort to throw us off and confuse us, he jumps around the timeline and uses his signature inaudible dialogue, which would be more effective if were actually unwritten dialogue that you couldn't get on subtitles. I consider Chris Nolan films to be the single worst sound mixed films in the business, and I know a lot of people who agree.

That being said, through all the muck is an extremely compelling narrative with lots of twists and turns complementary of the characters' natures, mostly grounded in possibility, with one addition of the phantasmic. And who better to represent this surrealism than David Bowie as Nikolai Tesla? He explores the mythic proportions of this historical figure. An interesting connection when you consider his role as Philip Jeffries in Twin Peaks; electricity, doppelgängers - something seems Lynchian inspired here.
November 11, 2017
A strong movie with a very original story that somehow feels very slightly pretentious at times. A clever if fanciful final act brings the movie to an end that's fitting if somewhat unbelievable.
November 3, 2017
Nolan astounds again, a movie about magic whilst being a magical movie. Nolan always seems to divert from the exhausted style of movies into his own creation of art. The man spits out ideas that people couldn't even dream of. The Prestige puts movies like "Now You See Me" into the dust. Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Piper Perabo and Scarlett Johansson were magnificent. Each some of their best work. Plus I loved the David Bowie cameos.
October 26, 2017
Fascinating storyline, but a sad ending
October 22, 2017
Easily one of my all time favorite films. It encompasses everything one could want from a film. Two magicians starting off there careers together. Bale believes in devoting himself entirely no matter the cost mind, body, sole and even sacrificing everything he loves for the devotion to his idea of art. Jackman wants all the prestige as he is a wonderful showman who wants to be the man who comes out of the box not the man inside. Lives intertwined obsession of how Bale does his version of the transporter man he goes on a journey to find his answer. His ambition is equal to the task, on his journey he finds something un natural and uses it to "beat" bale. Obsession, rage and envy drives Jackman to be everything he originally despised. In the end the simplicity of Bales prestige is the end of Jackman. Bale was the opposite he was a dreadful showman but a wonderful magician with his own demons and secrets that lead the woman he loved to madness. The back and forth rivalry, the script, dialogue and direction by Nolan is outstanding, mesmerizing and clever beyond imagination. That's what he does as a director. I watch this film at least twice a year and I always get something new out of it. He reaches heights of imagination that are confounding and amazing to watch. To me this film is perfect.
October 21, 2017
such a good movie!!!
October 10, 2017
Crazy good magician movie, Christopher Nolan is so talented and it shows.
October 9, 2017
The Prestige simply is a magic trick within itself, one of Christopher Nolan's greatest films.
October 7, 2017
ALMOST a masterpiece but still deserving the top ranking. The movie was amazing looking, very thought provoking, had a great score and fantastic acting and the plot was terrific. The only fault in the movie was the slight confusion from the ending and just maybe 1 twist which could have been left out.
October 1, 2017
The Tomato Meter always surprises me with this film. Incredibly enjoyable movie with a few amazing plot twists at the end.