The Prestige - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prestige Reviews

July 26, 2016
The acting is superb, the directing is fantastic, The Prestige may not be the best of Nolan's movies, but it certainly is a tricky, thrilling movie that keeps you guessing all the way. However the ending was disappointing, and sadly the movie is a one-time watch but otherwise it's Great and really enjoyable.
Score: 8.7/10 (Great).
½ July 19, 2016
This is a good movie as a whole but I feel that Nolan overdid it on the plot twists this time. In my opinion, Memento and Inception are much better films.

2 rival stage magicians attempt to outdo one another by performing their magic show and trying to cause as much damage as possible to the other one's career after a tragic accident.

The films score is just okay. It fits great with the movie but I didn't find it as listenable on its own. Its combination of notes and chords isn't anything new that we haven't seen before. I feel that its music is just sound effects which are choreographed well with the film.

Nolan is known for his elaborate, non-linear movie plots. Here, he relied on plot twist after plot twist before the final major plot twist at the end. Although this made for some good scenes, I feel that he overdid it way too much. After 1 plot twist happens, it confuses you for a bit. But before you're able to catch your breath, the movie hits you with another plot twist and it makes you more frustrated. The movie does it several times during the movie. I was eventually able to understand its plot but I didn't have as much fun trying to figure it out as I did with Nolan's other movies. Also, you have to suspend a lot of disbelief at the ending. I felt like it was done just for the sake of it in this case.

However, despite what I said, I do feel that this is a pretty good movie. It has great acting from Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, great cinematography and lighting, and most of the film up to the end is thoroughly entertaining. It's really only the ending which truly upset me. So in conclusion, this is a nice film and all but I've personally seen better movies from Nolan.
July 10, 2016
Typically mind-bending, and suitably twisty, storytelling from Christopher Nolan plays to good use in this magician's tale, though it's just a bit long and dark with it.
July 6, 2016
The surprises and twists that define this movie come off as ultimately unsatisfying and a bit gimmicky, which is disappointing considering how dramatic and fantastic the story sets itself up to be.
July 5, 2016
The two rivals that challenge each other to death, literally.
July 3, 2016
A really good movie.
July 2, 2016
The movie definitely manages to express rich and timely themes in a unique manner. Although the movie may possess the magical quality to confuse the audience through the limited perspective and fast-paced plot, it leaves everyone mesmerized in thought.
July 2, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Nolan yet again manages to showcase his ability to explore serious ideas, and this time through the membrane of genuinely human characters. As per, it's also great fun, and has a well established tone and direction. However, what's most unique here is that all those ideas crucially don't come at the expense of a really tragic and flowing story, where somehow the double-crossing and mysteries really add to the whole experience of the narrative.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The only thing this Nolan film is missing is a Zimmer...
VERDICT: The best Nolan film of all time, because the ideas don't come at the expense of anything else. It's the perfect balance, and a genuinely incredible piece of film.
½ June 26, 2016
I love Hugh Jackman.  I love Christian Bale.  Their characters, Angier and Borden, however, are two of the most detestable magicians ever to grace the screen.  There is no one to root for here.  Both are consumed with revenge and learning each other's secrets.  I cannot say if I recommend this.  Although it is Christopher Nolan's signature twisted tale.  I'll let you decide whether or not to watch.
June 25, 2016
A dramaticly slow build to a terrific finish. An amazingly entertaining film that climaxes with one of the greatest reveals in movie history.
June 21, 2016
One of my favorite movies, The prestige has is intense without trying hard and unravels itself so poetically.
The only problem with the movie is that once, you have watched it, you know the trick, it kind of looses it's charm.
Like I said, the movie is - Magic.
½ June 15, 2016
One of the best movies I've seen in awhile! Nolan really knows how to tell a great story. This movie had so many twists and turns that really made you invested in the movie. The end is satisfying and ties up most if not all loose ends. My only gripe with the movie is that it can be hard to follow the story at times. It constantly jumps from different times of the story and can someone be confusing. Other than that, The Prestige storytelling gold.
June 13, 2016
The Prestige is a fantastic film full of twists and turns that keep you guessing until the very end. The film is beautifully shot and wonderfully directed by Nolan. His trademark way of telling a story out of sequence is used to full effect. All of the actors were fantastic (especially Jackman and Bale). My only gripe with the film is that when you ultimately learn what is going on at the end, it requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief. Overall, The Prestige is a fantastic film that doesn't disappoint. I
June 12, 2016
One of the best movies ever!
½ May 28, 2016
I seem to have watched parts of this film many times before, but this is the first time I've watched it start to finish, and what a cracker it is! Can't really fault it, apart from - obviously - the late Mr Bowie's Ukranian accent, I never knew the Ukraine was the other side of Hadrian's wall!
May 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Strong performances across the board.
May 22, 2016
Are you watching closely?
May 21, 2016
Surprising twists at every turn, as only Mr. Nolan and company can deliver.
May 17, 2016
This movie is astonishing. The story is written with perfection, you don't have any single clue until the very end and a lot of back and forth. It brings up interesting themes, even a bit of supernatural events. The cast is amazing and they all play perfectly. The story is sometimes a tiny bit slow but never uninteresting. You simply must watch this master piece.
May 15, 2016
Not as crazy about this movie as everybody else. It requires a lot from the audience, which is okay sometimes, but I felt it didn't grab my attention as it should have. I actually got really tired from watching this movie. The "twist" was alright but nothing that made me gasp and die.