The Prestige - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prestige Reviews

May 21, 2017
Well executed but, it's hard to watch a movie when there's no redeemable characters.
½ May 13, 2017
This is a great movie.
May 12, 2017
i like that type of movies which plays with your brain and makes him wanders all the movie's period
May 10, 2017
Interesting for sure.
½ May 9, 2017
Enjoyable with great characters and even better actors. I just wish it wouldn't go unrealistic on me
May 8, 2017
Thrilling? Yes. Smartly written? Yes. Narratively challenging to a fault? Oh, yes. The Prestige may be dark, intriguing, and full of twists, it collapses under its own complex weight. The narrative is stuffed full and constantly changing that it's not only hard to keep up but also makes connecting with the film even harder. The Prestige could learn a bit from The Illusionist.
May 7, 2017
The Prestige is Full of twists and turns with good characters and writing!
½ May 3, 2017
With The Prestige Nolan delivers a baroque film, a suspenseful game of rivalry between two brilliant magicians in the 19th century London. Really well shot and lit, the film also benefits from a nicely written scenario with lots of suspense and a great sense of timing (which is not always great with Nolan's work). Bale and Jackman deliver both outstanding performances and really go for it. The second characters, Michael Caine ahead, are all really nicely written even though one can regret the little time Piper Perabo / Scarlett Johansson / Rebecca Hall have on screen, they all do a great job and manage to make the audience care for their characters. The atmosphere of the film is definitely my favorite aspect of the film, with incredible games of light & shadow, the film seems to play with his audience and definitely bring a sense of mystery that suits the tone and the mood of the action depicted on screen. Great piece of film-making.
April 28, 2017
A movie unlike any of Nolan's other works so far. A brilliant mind bending movie full of twists and turns not everyone can comprehend is what makes it a beautiful masterpiece. Nolan truly is an artist and this film is proof to that claim, not to mention the amazing performances present in this film.
April 26, 2017
The most ambitious movie about magic ever made. This movie can be watched over and over and you will still pick up on something new.
½ April 22, 2017
Easily one of Nolan's best movies. Even if the "twists" are somewhat obvious, the they still carry real emotional weight.
April 8, 2017
Christopher Nolan crafts The Prestige with intense to detail and accuracy much like a magic trick. He hides all the elements to the climactic ending in plain sight and within reach of the audience. But does not act upon until the audience is filled with suspense and thinks they have it figured out. While the plot progresses very slowly, the over arcing story is very captivating and leaves viewers at the edge of their seat. The rivalry between the two young magicians escalates and intensifies with each magic act. It shows the consequences of passion and competition becoming obsession and hatred. The Prestige has a very stacked cast with great performances all around from Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, and Scarlett Johansson. With great direction by Christopher Nolan, The Prestige is a film many viewers have slept on. A film that will leave the audience with a sense of awe, much like a magic trick.
April 4, 2017
This is a good movie as a whole but I feel that Nolan overdid it on the plot twists this time. In my opinion, Memento and Inception are much better films.

2 rival stage magicians attempt to outdo one another by performing their magic show and trying to cause as much damage as possible to the other one's career after a tragic accident.

The films score is just okay. It fits great with the movie but I didn't find it as listenable on its own. Its combination of notes and chords isn't anything new that we haven't seen before. I feel that its music is just sound effects which are choreographed well with the film.

Nolan is known for his elaborate, non-linear movie plots. Here, he relied on plot twist after plot twist before the final major plot twist at the end. Although this made for some good scenes, I feel that he overdid it way too much. After 1 plot twist happens, it confuses you for a bit. But before you're able to catch your breath, the movie hits you with another plot twist and it makes you more frustrated. The movie does it several times during the movie. I was eventually able to understand its plot but I didn't have as much fun trying to figure it out as I did with Nolan's other movies. Also, you have to suspend a lot of disbelief at the ending. I felt like it was done just for the sake of it in this case.

However, despite what I said, I do feel that this is a pretty good movie. It has great acting from Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, great cinematography and lighting, and most of the film up to the end is thoroughly entertaining. It's really only the ending which truly upset me. So in conclusion, this is a nice film and all but I've personally seen better movies from Nolan.
March 25, 2017
My favorite film of all time! 76%?!! NO!!!! IT DESERVES AT LEAST A 90!!! A great cast pulling off some o f their best performances, fantastic cinematography and art direction and a fantastic, suspenseful story that will have you watching it again just so you can catch everything. I won't give anything away but i will say one thing: Are you watching closely?
March 20, 2017
I wanted to see this movie because I'm a big Michael Caine fan. However, Caine has relatively little to do although he is in a lot of scenes. The movie is supposed to be suspenseful but if it's many turns and two very unsympathetic leads characters just make it a weird and un-entertaining experience.
March 5, 2017
One of my favorite movies, inception-level suspense, brilliant acting, a must watch for anyone enamored by the 19th century and illusionists.
March 5, 2017
Extremely entertaining, intense, original, & the twist blew my mind. 9/10
½ March 5, 2017
Very good movie about magic and the humans who weild it...i enjoyed it alot
½ February 26, 2017
A twisting, surprising film that challenges your mind as well as having a relatively straitforwards plot. The acting, the visual style and Christopher Nolan's direction are all great. The emotion feels genuine and the twists are shocking.
February 15, 2017
Damn this is fucking awesome ????