Presumed Innocent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Presumed Innocent Reviews

October 23, 2016
Presumed Innocent is a brooding legal drama that's laced with intrigue and deception. It is filmed to be forbidding with its stark settings, brown and black tones and characters shuffling through the shadows of bland offices and court rooms. It is the noir of legal dramas, with its sinister plot and shady characters. Rusty, the man at the center of the film, is a quiet and angry man who internalizes the loss of his lover and the unfortunate, damning charges against him. Harrison Ford manages to balance appearing both innocent and guilty at once throughout the film. In looking and feeling like a dark, smoky murder mystery legal drama, Presumed Innocent nails it.

Part of its strength is the intricate, intertwining plot. Rusty is assigned to find the rapist murderer of a woman he had an affair with who also worked with him and slept with his boss. Her murder ruins his boss run at reelection for the DA and when the new DA charges Rusty, Rusty finds out that he's been framed for her murder, his old boss has turned on him and the judge also slept with his mistress. All of these conflicting motives combine to create an engaging and mysterious story where the result is never predictable and the circumstances are often incredibly strange.

The most interesting part of the film is the shocking conclusion where we find that the one motive that was largely ignored, Rusty's wife's jealousy, was the most essential motive to the film and it set that ugly chain of events in motion. In the case of this noir, the grim anti-hero is actually outdone by two femme-fatales, his conniving mistress and his vengeful wife. This provides a strong sense of mistrust both between the characters and the plot, in the uncertainty of what will happen next. My one parting thought is that the sensual scenes in the film are incredible. Rusty's mistress is beautiful and the scenes are intimately captured with a lot of style.
½ August 29, 2016
Despite fairly flat pacing the story grips and keeps you watching. The "twist" ending may well be guessed correctly by many and the killers incompetant "clean up" leading to their exposure seems lazy writing. Definately worth watching once though.
½ June 13, 2016
Lawyer is accused of murdering his mistress in this courtroom drama that misses in more ways than one.
½ March 16, 2016
"Presumed Innocent" is an elegant courtroom drama that is good enough to achieve the "slightly more engaging than usual" status.
March 8, 2016
It's an engrossing fusion of murder mystery and courtroom drama.
February 8, 2016
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
February 7, 2016
Harrison Ford is the best in his kind.
June 24, 2015
"Just catch me a bad guy," he orders Sabich. From this simple directive, Presumed Innocent turns into a delicately interwoven entanglement of private, public and self-interest. The ingenious premise of the mystery is simple: What if the "bad guy" is the prosecutor? Turow, himself an experienced prosecutor, knows the terrain, and his insider's grasp of how the system really works has been richly captured by Pakula.
The case against Sabich grows more persuasive, and he is further undermined by the way he has handled the evidence. He had an adulterous and torrid affair with Polhemus that she broke off, creating the suspicion that the murder was the enraged act of a rejected lover. Factors and constituencies beyond his control and even his understanding come into play, and he is formally charged with the killing.
June 2, 2015
A prosecutor's mistress is murdered, and he becomes the prime suspect.
Throughout the majority of this film, I was bored. Harrison Ford was not at his most dynamic, charming, or interesting, and the supporting players were also relatively bland; when Raul Julia is bland in a film, you've got a story. I was all set to give it two stars or lower, and then the end happened. It got me. I'm usually pretty good at predicting the ends of films, especially mysteries, but I was truly stumped, and I don't mind admitting it. What's great about the reveal is that it's not unfair. All the clues are there, but they're so subtly placed that it's understandable that I didn't pick up on them.
Overall, while it's no The Usual Suspects, this film gets bonus points for its unpredictable and compelling ending.
½ April 4, 2015
Very good movie. Great acting performances and very compelling story line. The ending is surprising.
½ March 27, 2015
Good script but bad direction.
½ March 25, 2015
A terrific script, performance from Harrison Ford and the example of a terrific court room thriller drama
½ January 22, 2015
A great movie to fall asleep to!
September 27, 2014
One of Harrison Ford's best films...
½ August 17, 2014
5mn 55c8 v xx 4555 3gnym TV5 gg tlsz t5 t4nv n n 5^d6r? 3
August 13, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies. The characters are great. The story is excellent and not predictable. Harrison Ford and the other actors are excellent.
August 12, 2014
The film starts off feeling a little typical and glazed over, but as soon as the main focus of the story kicks in it's suspenseful, mysterious, exciting, and intense. If the rest of the movie doesn't do it for you, the ending surely will.
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/21/2013)
August 3, 2014
Excellent performances all around in this court room thriller, with a very nice twist at the end.
July 27, 2014
Decent courtroom drama; Ford is great, as usual. The ending has a twist which couldn't be forseen