Putney Swope Reviews

• Feb 18, 2020

My absolute favorite comedy, all-time. The most quotable lines of pretty much any film. I saw it in an art house in Dayton with a former priest (he married a nun, truth) and a Mormon. While I laughed my head off, they were open-mouthed and shocked! Outrageous, but so on target for the times. Thank you Robert Downey, Sr.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• May 12, 2018

a must see satirical look at race in America I howled with laughter

a must see satirical look at race in America I howled with laughter

• Jan 23, 2018

Après de longues années à faire des films totalement absurdes dans son coin, Robert Downey Sr. livre en 1969 une comédie satirique hilarante avec Putney Swope, qui voit le seul Noir d'une agence de pub être nommé à la tête de celle-ci. Il décide alors de virer tout le monde et de ne mettre que des Noirs dans l'agence. Ce qui aurait pu être un brûlot sociétal n'est au final qu'une grosse comédie absurde avec des fausses pubs à pleurer de rire, des personnages qui enchaînent les punchlines et une absence de sens commun à l'ensemble qui rend le film assez radical. Pas pour tout le monde, Putney Swope est une oeuvre singulière qui tape sur tout et sur rien en même temps, qui ne respecte rien et qui a Antonio Fargas habillé en émir pendant 1h30. Que demande le peuple?

• Jan 23, 2018

Ridiculous and very funny.

Ridiculous and very funny.

• Apr 20, 2017

This is the kind of experimental slash deranged comedy that I think I might have appreciated more when I was younger and more open-minded. I chuckled a few times and it made me think but I need more of a story and more stable characters to enjoy a movie these days. I did enjoy the Lucky Airlines commercial.

K Nife C Super Reviewer
    Aug 17, 2016

Pretty damn good satire, if I do say so myself. I didn't live anywhere near the 60's, but I can safely say that Iron Man's dad pushed quite a few buttons back in the day. As dastardly satires go, this knocked quite a few humorous conventions out of the way. Fake (so screwed up they should be real) advertisements interspersed throughout the narrative? Complete racial and gender role reversals to demonstrate double standards? It is farce at it's furthest extent, and well worth a watch. And many modern comedies could take a few cues from this film and ditch the hackneyed pop-culture references.

• Dec 06, 2015

I was knocked out - having little idea of what I'd walked into back in 1969, and also had cues the film's POV would long be discussed when people would get offended at various black humor points and walk out of the theatre while was either slack jawed or busting a gut. An inflection point in American film-making.

• Sep 15, 2015

a movie that pulls the sheet off the pit of racism. it reflects whiteskin privilege and white guilt at the same time, watch it a take a stroll down the dark side of memory lane. well worth it.

• Jul 30, 2015

Clever in its concept with the potential to really scathingly satirize Madison Avenue (when the only Black ad exec is made chairman of the board and takes things in an increasingly militant and confrontational direction) but then what? Fluxus or dada or did the film just plain fall apart? A comedy of sorts and there are some good shots (in the 1969 context) at the white power elite when the tables are turned - but mostly this is a chaotic low-budget, often silly, sometimes pointless or tactless affair. From the mind of Robert Downey Sr. which may be revealing of something. I wanted to like it.