[Rec] 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

[Rec] 2 Reviews

½ October 4, 2016
Definitely not as good as the first one. The camera switching, and more professional-feel took away. Also, the over-dramatization was really annoying. The characters screaming at each other was annoying. One of the characters explaining some esoteric backstory was cliche. An overly emotional swat-team was silly. But the twist in the end gives this film an extra 0.5 points.
August 12, 2016
A well done sequel to a movie that deserved one. In my personal opinion, the helmet cams used in the movie actually gave it more life. Not as many jump-scares as the fist movie, yet it will keep you on your toes.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
After the first made me paranoid for a few days I went into this expecting it to be just as disturbing but im afraid they have replaced most of the scares with very bloody action, There are still a few jumps to be had but nothing like the first, Plus it changes the story completely by changing the fact that they are now possessed by the devil and not infected by a virus, It did answer a few questions from the first but it did leave new questions unanswered also some plot holes didn't help the tone of the film and the last 20 minutes was good but it felt too silly and more like something out of a game but it had some good twists but the first was so much better.
June 19, 2016
did not love where they went with the story but it was well done and scary nonetheless.
June 7, 2016
REC 2, not a masterpiece like the first REC. However, it is still a very thrilling P.O.V.
May 19, 2016
The sequel to Rec furthers the story of a demonic virus and is even more gory and terrifying than the first.
March 27, 2016
I was deeply disappointed by the direction the movie went. The ending of the first one was ambiguous and I sincerely thought that the church just interpreted a virus as a demonic possesion and thus tried to cure it. Nah, the devil did it. Not only is the movie's logic uterly ridiculous, but the way it tries to shove it down your throat is insufferable. Now, supposedly the whole world is threatened by a viral(?) demonic possesion, and only retrieving a blood sample of patient zero is the only way to stop it. Wow. As if the plot inconsistencies weren't enough, the way it's presented is cliched too. The jumpscares are entirely predictable and the sense of danger is almost completely gone. The zombies have obviously dubbed over sound effects that sticked out painfully and some of the characters are just straight up annoying. The night vision stuff was pretty creative though, so have an extra star
½ January 7, 2016
Not only far from being as terrifying as the original film, this sequel also makes the mistake of offering an explanation for the story, combining zombies, viruses and demons all in the same crazy pot. But even so, there are a few moments that work.
½ October 29, 2015
Wow, took the first one and really twisted it around. Not as good, but still pretty creepy. I didn't realize it would be a continuation. It starts off much like the first one did, but then it took a huge left turn, which I did not like. Seriously, possession? It lacked the chemistry and fear and unknowing and mystery of the first one and made this a pretty lame sequel. I had a hard time taking it seriously. Points for a huge twist and points for trying, but this movie was not necessary to make or watch. I kind of liked the ending but it didn't come as a surprise to me.
½ September 3, 2015
Rec 2 feels very connected to the first one. Though its not as scary. Its still creative and fun in some ways. With a great twist ending
August 23, 2015
The second movie in the [REC] series is only a step below the first in quality.

This time alternating between a SWAT team and a group of kids. Unlike in the first, where it almost exclusively takes place in the quarantined building, in this one there are a couple of shots taking place outside (such as when the kids sneak in and before the SWAT team enter the building).

Naturally, the acting is still pretty strong, and of course Manuela Velasco performance is still the highlight in that area. They probably should've focused on one of the groups, though, to make it more cohesive (the SWAT team or the kids).

Overall, though, still a really strong horror movie on it's own, and a worthy addition to the REC franchise.
½ June 8, 2015
I appreciated the action-horror vibes and the expansion upon the supernatural implications of the original, but for my part, this sequel tries to do too much with too many characters. It should've stuck with the SWAT team, emphasized the terror/action angle, and cut down the number of stupid character decision-making cliches. Why must horror movie-characters always be so dumb?
June 1, 2015
Please tell me the premise of this sequel was a test exercise that never was intended to be seen by the public. Spirituality meets the infection-pandemic genre. What started as an infection turned zombie infestation in the brilliantly made [REC] turned into demonic takeovers and Catholicism rituals in [REC] 2. Why mess with success? There was no reason to taint what could have been a very easy franchise to create. The budget has clearly been increased because it no longer has the one person, handheld view. Add to it the fact the directors decided to add more outside scenes which removes the scary factor of the unknown. Very disappointing! Stick to the script and continue with the zombie infection, not a plague that involves a priest and exorcism. REC 2 even goes the extra mile to not only ruin the franchise but it ruins the last moments of what made the original REC perfect. SPOILER ALERT: the sequel shows the last character from the original survived, even though the rules set by the first film established she should have died. There are no redeeming qualities. At best, REC 2 is watchable, yet forgettable. At worst, it squandered an opportunity to make a solid sequel but instead it convoluted the plot. The original worked with a basic premise of less is more. A sequel can work the same premise but add a minor detail differentiating its existence from the predecessor. REC 2 almost rewrites itself and becomes another movie entirely.
½ May 21, 2015
Better than the 1st one
½ May 16, 2015
From a "virus" in the first movie to a demonic entity afraid of a cross... It ruined a bit. Wished they stick with the virus thing from the first movie.
½ May 13, 2015
A good movie,just as good as the first one.
May 8, 2015
While not as strong nor subtle, REC 2 proves to be an enjoyable sequel with enough chills and frights just like the first.
April 26, 2015
If Rec was a slow burning, intense slice of horror, its sequel, Rec 2 is just an off the rails insane blunder bus of action, mystisism and horror. A shadow of the previous installments former self, Rec 2 begins pretty much as Rec is finishing. Only this time we are following in the shoes of a SWAT team and a bunch of teenagers who all have made their way into the locked down housing block from the previous film. Only both parties soon find out that we are not dealing with an ordinary outbreak, that wouldnt be enough for this off the wall franchise, Rec 2 goes bolders, louder and where very few have gone before and brings the religious elements of demonism into the mix. Its a jolting experience but the film doesnt care, its confident and thrusts it down your throat. As mentioned earlier, this film doesnt potter about with character introductions, oh no, we are flung into the fray, obviously with a SWAT team, carrying heavy weaponary, Rec 2 can afford to go bigger and with multiple cameras, manages to cover more ground than its older brother, it still packs some uncomfortable images and scares but when the ball is rolling its blasting all over the joint, from start to finish. Kills become more creative, you can tell the directors are just having as much fun as they can, one sequence with a firework and an infected's head is quite possibly the highlight. Luckily the film does bring back some characters either mentioned or portrayed in the last film, giving us a sense of attachment to the piece, considering the character development this time around is pretty close to non existent. This is not a film you can jump straight into, nor a franchise for that matter. This time around, each camera is treated differently dependent on the operator. bouncing back and forth from spy cameras, ENG's and hand held, it manages to do a good job of giving each a different feel and managing the thrills around them to an reasonable level. I also applaud the directors for sticking to their guns and trying to really put the entire experience out their, this could have easily been a rehash and one not so great, instead it builds upon its foundations and then some, leaving us bewildered and quite unsettled by the end. It yet again is not without its flaws, some may see the twist in direction a jump too far into uncharted waters, the lack of character from key players is just not there and the ending takes it a step even further with unbelievability. But for all its bizarre tropes, it equally runs wild, not caring and having as much fun doing it as it can. Not for everyone, even horror fans may frown, but for over the top, stupid, gory thrills, this installment ticks the boxes and then some.
½ April 20, 2015
Rec was the first found-footage film I ever saw. Since then, that has been the scariest movie I ever did see. This one did not quite caused the same effect. It is a good dose of scares, nevertheless.
March 8, 2015
Better than the first... and I think this is the best found footage movie I've ever seen.
This is just my opinion, but I found this to be better and even scarier than the first, it changes its "zombies" completely from others adding a far more original side to this franchise, a more original side that many people seem to hate, but I fell in love with this twist on the genre right away.. I won't say what it is just incase you haven't seen any of the REC films, but it sure isn't for everyone.
Also, the first is one of scarier movies I've seen and this sequel had me jump right into the roof, its not easy to scare me, but this has some darn intense scenes, the last few had me nearly close my eyes I did want to get a goods night sleep.
I really can't complain about anything on this movie, it all worked far too well for me, even as a sequel it did even more than I could've hoped for in a follow-up to an already impressive zombie movie.
Say what you will about this movie and I'll say what I want... and I say it one of the best zombie films.