[REC] 3 Genesis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

[REC] 3 Genesis Reviews

½ October 6, 2016
[rec]3: Genesis is the first in the series to drop the pov style that ruled the first two films. While this frees the director artistically, it does remove a big amount of tension from the film. On the plus side, there is more than enough Gore to keep the audiences grossed out ( never will complain about scenes involving chainsaws and zombies). The film also carries over some of the religious aspects of the second film for better or worse.
Is it as good as the original? Not by a long shot, but "[rec]3: Genesis" is still a fun gorefest. 3 1/2 stars
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
After [REC] 1 and 2 will go down in horror history Genesis wont, First off it has little to do with the first two I suppose it's kind of a prequel, But it felt like a cheap spin off, It starts by using the found footage effect for about 25 minutes where very little happens then all of a sudden when we finally get to the main story it switches to normal filming mode that straight away feels wrong, It felt more like a Dawn Of The Dead film with some silly bits thrown in, The only thing that makes this film a [REC] movie is the title, It's not a terrible film just a terrible entry to one of the best horror franchises ever.
½ July 5, 2016
I wanted to cry while I was watching it, bad bad bad film
June 7, 2016
Entertaining but lost what the first two had, and that's intensity and originality.
½ June 1, 2016
This 3rd installment of the spanish hit movie franchise " Rec " was very good. Director Paco Plaza has been developing this movies very good. It had the same elements as the first 2 films and you get caught in it. I loved it because is in Spanish, and the gory stuff is well made and the suspense was well made also, I have no idea why people are disagreeing with this film. People just dont understand good quality spanish movies, as that being said for this movie being one of the best movies with some great horror and gory scenes, that do scare you and keeps you guessing until the end, I give " Rec 3 : Genesis " a B-.
May 19, 2016
In the third installment of the found footage horror franchise the deadly demonic virus enters the outside world to wreck havoc on an unsuspecting couple on there wedding day.
½ February 18, 2016
Horrible entry in the [REC] series, but a bloody decent zombie comedy. The flip-flopping from comedy to drama is particularly jarring and there is not a single suspense or thrill to be found here. No idea why they dropped the tone of the first two, as this would have been a much better standalone film. Perhaps most incomprehensible is that this is essentially a throwaway film that has no bearing on the series. Sure, it takes place in the same universe/time frame, but there is nothing to link the story to the others aside from a quick shot of a television recording of the reporter from the first film. It's like when comic books have one-shots that only tenuously link to a main story arc for those who can't get enough of a concept. For a movie billed as part of the main series, this is a total shaft to the audience.
½ January 7, 2016
It is hard to believe that the subjective camera is dropped for no reason after the first act, and this "prequel" (huh?) is so outrageously bad that it becomes great to laugh about with friends. The result is possibly the best comedy and worst movie of the year - simultaneously.
October 19, 2015
REC 3 is one of those films that may not be perfect but it makes up for it with memorable, bad-ass scenes. Staying with the REC series formula, a virus breaks out at a wedding reception, and once again the government locks down a compound and no one can escape. I really liked how for part of the film they did the found footage, home video camera style but then they would switch to a normal camera view for some scenes. That small aspect made it very fun to watch. There were tons of brutal zombie attacks and even better zombie deaths. Chainsaws, giant swords and kitchen appliances were involved in helping the wedding goers fight for their life. The main story was about the just married couple trying to find each other and escape. It was fast moving and at times ridiculous but it was so much fun. The final scenes, will put a big smile on your face, it sure did on mine. If you want a fun, zombie style film thats different then the norm, don't miss out on REC 3.
September 1, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH
½ August 23, 2015
I won't lie. This is an incredible disappointment when viewed as a REC movie, BUT when considered on it's own, it's actually a rather entertaining funny zombie action movie, and so I'll review it with that in mind rather than a movie that's supposed to advance the [REC] franchise.

The first "act" (I suppose it could be called) is rather reminiscent of the beginning of Cloverfield. That is, a found footage POV of a gathering (in this case a wedding) with a typical atmosphere, although less sophomoric, I guess, until a thing happens to disrupt it). It's done rather well. Eventually, the camera breaks and switches to traditional camera shots, which I thought was a clever excuse for it.

Leticia Dolera, the lead actress, although she's no Manuela Velasco does a pretty good job at having to front the movie.

So, while it's not exactly scary, it does pay off with a stylistic gore fest with some pretty funny dark humor, and it's pretty damn entertaining.
½ August 16, 2015
This movie actually have a really good story. Compare to no. 2 anyway! There's some really stupid mistakes! But overall very enjoyable!
July 24, 2015
Moving far away from the first two entries in the series, Genesis goes for a more splatter-filled B-movie style and largely succeeds. [B]
½ June 12, 2015
Actually liked this better than the original. How often do you find 2 characters in a horror film that you care about. Well shot, good writing and great special effects.
May 29, 2015
Extremely subpar zombie movie. I did enjoy how the outbreak took place, the intro to the zombies happening during a wedding party was a great idea. But nothing else in this movie stood out as good or original.
May 24, 2015
‚??[REC] 3: Genesis,‚??¬†the latest in the¬†‚??[REC]‚??franchise and the first without the co-director Jaume Balaguer√≥, strips away the strengths of its predecessors ‚?? among them a spooky sound design and gloomy, warrenlike location ‚?? to deliver an altogether brighter, jokier blood bath. In doing so, however, the remaining director, Paco Plaza, may have murdered his fan base along with his film‚??s victims.
May 8, 2015
Lacking the subtlety and engaging feel of it's predecessor, as well as the involving POV for the last half, REC 3 may provide some thrills, but doesn't stay long in the head after.
½ May 1, 2015
I can't say I remember much about the first REC movie, other than it's sort of like a Spanish version of 28 Days Later. This one takes place at a wedding, so at least that's original. Lots of dumb things happen here as is per usual in zombie movies(standing around instead of running away ASAP, not going for weapons while barred up in a safe room, etc). This is a decent movie I suppose, with it's fair share of some truly gory moments. On a side note, the lead actress in this has got to have the most gorgeous eyes I've ever seen, wow.. que guapa!
April 27, 2015
Usually when creating a horror franchise, or any franchise for that matter, you stick to the roots of the initial piece, while taking time to build, expand and further the story, characters and lore of the previous films. Rec 3 may lead you to believe that it will be in a similar vein as its counter parts, however after a very long introduction, the show gets going and its a show worth laughing your ass off for. I didnt like this originally, it felt too detached, too forced and ham fisted, its not until a second watch I actually realise that this film is a massive bundle of fun and its intentionally meant to be that way. I took it too seriously last time, expected something more, however with that expectation shattered, I can now see what Paco Plaza was trying to do, even though it flopped and probably lost the franchise a mass of fans, this film is stupendously genius. The film is wonderfully crafted into a wedding video for Koldo and Clara, a lucky couple who happen to be getting married a few hours prior to the originals out brake. We get the connection from one of Koldo's uncles, who happens to be a vet, who treated the dog, that was owned by one of the victims in the original and although that seems like a bit of a stretch, it works. Soon the couples big day turns from glory to blood bath as Rec literally takes a speed bomb and just chucks itself down a set of stairs, laughing manically while doing so. It falsely sets up the tired found footage premise, before kicking it to pieces and becoming a filmatic piece, which is a brilliant twist, whats even more brilliant is that, the second it does that it turns from horror into a flat out comedy and it knows it. Every cliched zombie moment gets used here and everyone of them will take a turn you just wont expect. This film plays with your expectations, it is brilliantly crafted in places. From moments such as Koldo trying to rescue his wife in a suit of armour and a mace, to a glorious moment where one of Clara's "Friends" admits she didnt want to come to the wedding, leading to a pre death conversation about how they were both sorry for her being there. Its hilarious stuff. Sadly character is seriously lacking here and the few characters that are fleshed out either die or arent very interesting. Clara and Koldo arent exactly worth rooting for, yeah they are cute, but that really is about it. The new cinematic style fits perfectly and actually looks better than a lot of zombie films, using tonnes of practical effects that just look stunning. The lighting is brilliant, the music is ironic and fitting, the whole thing, looks and feels stunning. Its utterly hilarious and completely tongue in cheek. Does it add anything new to the cannon, apart from breaking the mold no, but its enough to warrant an entry into the franchise and as a film. Its a far cry from the original and its sequel but what it does manage to achieve is unpredictability and hilarity, in a film that proves, you can still have a lot of fun making movies.
April 13, 2015
Stand alone movie of the 1st 3 rec films, not as jumpy as 1 & 2 but a good romp in its own way