The Ring Two - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ring Two Reviews

½ April 5, 2017
So not even the franchise creator Hideo Nakata could make this all that interesting, with our mother/son team from the first film back again to be menaced further by the evil child Samara. The things that made the original so, well, original, were that it brought new things to the table as far as how the curse worked, how it effected those under it, etc., but this time around it's just all about a possession, and haven't we seen that film before?

The movie also features some dreadful looking CGI deer that are aging poorly even when the film was in theaters.

Rental maybe, but for die hard fans only.
February 7, 2017
If you enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity film, you can probably admit that you had a good time with the first couple of sequels. There are times when a series is dragged out, but still works, and then there are films like The Ring Two that are made for money, and nothing else. I've said many times that I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but when a good one arises, I will be the first to admit that it's great. I have a very open mind about watching films, so even the most bizarre of premises can intrigue me. Having said that, it took a lot out of me to sit through The Ring Two. Rehashing the first film and coming up with the most bizarre plot devices and set pieces, here is why The Ring Two fails on every level.

Although The Ring Two is essentially about a video tape once again and how the ripple effects can really contribute to the terror, the opening of this film is what hooked me. Making me think this film was going to go in a new route, two teenagers are seen watching the tape that supposedly kills you seven days after viewing it. Projecting one of them into the video itself and having black ooze fills the floorboards, the tone of this film felt shifted from the first. Having said that, these tropes would just be overused throughout the film, never explaining how or why. What let me down even more was the fact that the director of the original Japanese film came back to direct this sequel.

After his smash hit in Japan with Ringu, director Hideo Nakata directed a few others, but eventually fell completely off the radar after directing this sequel. It seems very odd that the director of the original Japanese version would want to make a sequel to a remake of his own property, but it seemed promising to me that the story was good enough to make him want to come on board. Having said that, I think his style was clashing with what was set in motion in The Ring. Trying to blend his tropes with the new-age effects was very jarring to me and his slow-burn style does not work as well as it did in his original, due to the fact that the remake moved at a much quicker pace. Sadly, having him direct may have been the wrong decision.

From child-possession, to being pulled into the television set, to having a bathtub explode, to having deer attack a car, The Ring Two is full of surprises that never work in execution. I found myself chuckling at the fact that everything was being taken so seriously, when clearly it's going far too over-the-top, even for a horror film called The Ring Two. This is a problem I have with almost every horror film released nowadays, but the use of CGI is supposed to add to your film, not make it look artificial. The Ring Two was the beginning of an era that would overuse CGI, because it made it easier than building practical elements.

In the end, The Ring Two is a film that tries to invent new ways of telling this plot, but goes too far over-the-top to be able to buy into it. Aside from a very cool opening in my opinion, there isn't much to like about this film. Clocking in at 109 minutes, this film really feels its length. Of all the films made involving this premise, this one finds a way to be the most boring, most uneventful, and the most poorly written and directed. Sure, you may be able to find a few frightening images, but this film as a whole just isn't all that scary. For these reasons and more, The Ring Two is one of my least favourite horror films of all time. If you haven't checked it out yet, you aren't missing out on anything.
February 5, 2017
Despite Naomi Watts and Hideo Nakata giving it their all, The Ring Two is a dull, confusing, and scareless affair that pales in comparison to not only the original film, but rest of the franchise as a whole.
February 5, 2017
The Ring Two doles out the horror movie tropes in such boring and ridiculous fashion that we're left confused and questioning rather than frightened.
½ February 3, 2017
I didn't like this movie very much, but it was a step up from the first movie because it did have some creept moments, but like the first movie, it was a bit cheesy.
½ February 3, 2017
I had high expectations after watching the first movie. This did not live up to them at all. It was dull, boring and wasn't scary at all. The conclusion of this movie was messy and only a few loose ends were tied up. I felt like the writers could have made the script in a day, this movie was cheesy and predictable. There's nothing positive I can say about this film, my favorite part would probably be the credits. I felt like I'd seen all of the scares before, they were unoriginal. The whole 'going through the tv' thing was silly, Naomi isn't Samara and Samara doesn't want a 'mummy'. I'm not going to say anymore, as I don't want this review to turn into a rant,
December 29, 2016
The Ring Two comes up short on the splendid scenery, chilling makeup effects and skin-crawling scares that made its predecessor a masterpiece, but just about overcomes its weakness in comparison with a dramatically satisfying follow-up.
November 29, 2016
An extremely poor follow up to its much better predecessor. The pacing and editing was all over the place. Also, the fact that the story mainly centered on Rachel's son was to the film's disadvantage.
½ September 7, 2016
So unnecessarily a waste of potential and even more of a waste of time
July 18, 2016
While it's not as creepy and haunting as it's predecessor, it still serves as a genuinely satisfying sequel.
½ July 8, 2016
As a fan of the first film, I was really interested in seeing the sequel. I never got around to it because any time any one tried to explain it to me, I'd get too confused to remember to even look it up. That's because when I say "the original" most people think I'm referring to "The Ring" and not "Ringu". And people are stupid. Any ways, I was glad that with every scene, we're given re-treatments of the first film's premises shown through with the same quality photography and the same straightforward acting. It's almost -- almost -- as good as the first. It's weird in its own weird way. I don't think it's really worth watching if you didn't deeply enjoy the first film. In that sense, it's a traditional sequel. Not a "Star Trek" kind of sequel where it stands on its own, or a "Halloween" kind of sequel where it fails miserably. It's definitely in the goldilocks zone where all good sequels exist. 3.5/5
May 15, 2016
I'm probably one of the only people who thinks so, but I thought this was an improvement from the fist film. I wasn't scared by the first, and I thought it was hyped up wayyyy too much. The second wasn't perfect, but I was into it the whole time and it had some great moments and some nice (although sometimes cheap) scares. Naomi Watts was great as always.
½ February 25, 2016
El ejemplo perfecto de cómo destrozar una saga con una segunda película. Y extrañamente dirigida por el director de la original y la secuela de esta.

The Ring Two no respeta prácticamente nada la original, es aburrida, no tiene sentido en su mayor parte y estás deseando que se termine después de los primeros cinco minutos.

Una pérdida de tiempo.
February 8, 2016
I think I enjoyed this one more, even if it is a more conventional thriller.
½ January 2, 2016
A bad follow up for a decent horror film.
November 28, 2015
well shot! some great water shots and scenes. creepy kid
November 3, 2015
There's a rare presence of a nostalgic vibe in this ridiculous sequel that extends the storyline with lesser amount of scares. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
October 28, 2015
slightly more entertaining than the first one but not really that scary.
September 17, 2015
Despite a weak storyline and some cheap moments, The Ring two carries enough creepy images to make it a scary experience.
August 30, 2015
I cannot see how this movie is any worse than its predecessor. If anything its a little more scary. The story follows one quite nicely and contains more mystery, Naomi Watts is back with another strong performance along with her son who is a little less likeable. Its very similar to the original and visits a lot of both the story and the settings. Its another solid horror which does little wrong but little new. Its not to samey and is quite entertaining.