Road to Morocco - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Morocco Reviews

November 17, 2016
The 3rd of 7 Road films has some song gems and more classic gags. Hope in later life would joke that he wanted to outlive the camel that spit in his eye in this film.
½ August 13, 2016
It's unfortunate that many people who might be familiar with this film only know it through the homage done on Family Guy. The unfortunate part of this is that most wouldn't recognize the origin of the bit and go watch the reference material, which is much funnier than Family Guy could make it. Buddy films have been around for a long time, so it's nice to see how one of the founding films of this comedy sub-genre succeeded at it.

The success of a Buddy film comes from the talent of its two main characters. In this case, Orville "Turkey" Jackson (Bob Hope) is the lovably dim partner to Jeff Peters (Bing Crosby), the snarky singer and brains of the operation. Those who might be looking for a pure slapstick comedy are bound to be slightly disappointed, because the gold of this film is in its repartee. Verbal jabs, wordplay, and double entendre abound in this film, but pay attention because they come fast and frequent. For its time, it was also quite raunchy, albeit not nearly as much as some of the "gross-out" comedies of today are. In fact, its special effects were quite ahead of its time as well (some of them quite fun to watch, especially the "voice swap" version of Moonlight Becomes You).

Having already seen Bing Crosby in a number of great films, including Holiday Inn (1942) and Going My Way (1944), the latter of which won Best Picture and garnered Crosby a Best Actor Oscar, I already knew his propensity for great dramatic acting. In Road to Morocco, I was pleasantly surprised to see his comedy is on-point as well. Of course, that being said, the man in his comedy element was definitely Bob Hope. His facial expressions and reactions were fantastically hilarious and most scenes he appeared in were filled with him chewing the scenery. I may have to watch more of his films (including the others in the "Road to . . ." series), because this one was certainly great.

Occasionally "self aware", but filled with plenty of verbal and situational comedy, I give Road to Morocco 4.5 stars out of 5.
June 17, 2015
One of the great comedy duos of their era. Their "Road" movies were very popular.
June 6, 2015
Fun "Road" film - one of the best - has good comedy and music, including "Constantly" and a big hit for Crosby, "Moonlight Becomes You."
November 28, 2014
On the third stop in the Road series of pictures we find Bing Crosby and Bob Hope playing their usual sharpie and schnook... Post Modernism In The 1940s--Zany fun, pure old-fashioned escapism with a string of gags for good measure... No holds barred spoof of every desert adventure ever undertaken!!
March 29, 2014
I've not really been a great fan of comedy movies, but I found this to be quite entertaining. Not much of a plot though.
½ February 14, 2014
92% tomato rating??? This movie is terrible!!! Culturally insulting and so not funny. Also, they need to change the release date here. Flixster desperately needs editors.
hunterjt13
August 7, 2013
Two goof-balls get lost in the white part of Morocco.
Let me get the serious stuff out of the way. Morocco is portrayed as radically other. All of the attractive characters are white actors playing "brown-face," and all of the unsavory characters have accents and are excessively tribal and violent. This portrayal continues the traditions that Edward Said writes about in Orientalism in which he claims that films like this contribute to a racist cultural attitude vis-a-vis the "East."
That said, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope were hilarious, and in spite of the film's problems from an academic standpoint, the film is nevertheless marvelously entertaining. Of all the Golden Age singing stars, I think Crosby is my favorite. His voice is so free and easy; it looks like anyone could sing like him, but of course no one can.
The self-referential jokes are great, and Crosby and Hope have an excellent chemistry.
Overall, the film gets a one-star penalty for racism, but it's still remarkably entertaining.
June 21, 2013
Not my favourite of 'The Road to...' series, but nevertheless a highly enjoyable one with all the humor and antics of the Crosby-Hope team.
January 22, 2013
good 'road pic' year s/b 1943 not 2000.
October 31, 2012
Hope, Crosby, Lamour, Quinn this is definitely a classic though I liked Road to Singapore better, might have to pick that one up again. This was fun and good memories here.
September 28, 2012
Funny, but not special.
August 6, 2012
It's hard not to like any of the Road to... films, because they are short, funny and have some great songs. Fair enough, they all seem to have the same plot, but enough absurdity to make each one a treat in its own right.
½ June 16, 2012
"road to morocco" is a silly fun movie, that only gets wackier as it goes on. i only wish there weren't so many musical numbers, as a few of them only slow the film down, in my opinion.
February 12, 2012
This was one of the Road To films with Crosby and Hope and this one was moderately paced and very funny. Hope was one of the best comedians of all time and I think he is still underrated. Crosby was also excellent in this film and his acting skills I think are not fully appreciated. How many men could win an Academy Award for acting and be a top selling recording artist? The story itself was pretty funny and the ending was great. Dorothy Lamour was very good as the princess and Dona Drake was pretty good too. Quick 90 minutes and must see.
½ February 1, 2012
A majority of the humor feels dated and stale, but there are a number of surprisingly brilliant jokes that are still pretty funny today. The leads are a bit cheesy at times, but they play off of each other well and they help bring the charm and whimsy to the screen. It's not a bad movie at all, but I feel most modern viewers may not be as entertained throughout. But overall, it's a pretty fun experience.
December 23, 2011
Probably the best of the Road movies. Hope and Crosby are hilarious, with a fantastically witty back-and-forth throughout. A fun movie for those of all ages, and any generation.
½ September 27, 2011
The word to describe Road To Morocco with is "fun". There's great one liners throughout, some solid performances and songs, and two talking camels. The Road to.. running gags are all here with the jokes about the film industry and breaking of the fourth wall. There's no technical mastery to drool over here, just a ton of entertainment.
½ August 18, 2011
This movie defines classic! When you're getting legends Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, I think that's a big enough sign that you are about to see a great movie. The good thing is, you do! This was the third installment of the "Road to ..." series after "Road to Singapore" and "Road to Zanzibar", and though I expected them to be more defined as the classic ones, this is the one I always hear about. I see why it's talked about so much. This is a very fun, unique movie that can never be mocked. It has great comedy elements: screwball, physical, and romantic all in the short 82 minutes. With the beautiful Dorothy Lamour added to the mix (she always is the female lead in this series), it's just perfect. She handles everything great, and proved to be a great comedy actress for generations to come. Another good Hope/Lamour movie is "My Favorite Brunette", which is another great classic. Anyways, "Road to Morocoo" is indefinitely one of the most legendary comedies every made.