Road to Perdition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Perdition Reviews

August 17, 2017
8/17/2017: An excellent cast. It was a bit slow, but still a pretty good movie.
August 17, 2017
Brilliant, beautiful, emotional at times and great performances from Tom Hanks and Tyler Hoechlin. This is an effective different take on the mafia film genre adding in the father son element and their chemistry is very captivating to watch. This is a very very powerful film that people should see.
½ August 7, 2017
Very good drama with a little action. Overall the script moves pretty slowly. There are a lot of unnecessary drawn out scenes without dialogue. Feels more like the directors attempt to increase the length of the movie rather then build character's traits.

Excellent wardrobe design. Very good acting from Tom Hanks and his movie son. Paul Newman was alright.

I definitely recommend watching this at least once.
July 12, 2017
Is there a more adept actor that Tom Hanks? Does film get any better than this? Why not 5 stars, hard to explain. It's not a film that's easy to watch, the intensity is unremitting and I don't like the end. It's the right ending but I still don't like it. Jude Law never better, Paul Newman's last film appearance, a fitting finale. Sam Mendes never better.
June 18, 2017
Paradoxically, the closer Mendes gets to his characters, the more remote Perdition becomes. One wishes that his film had as much heart as it does art.
½ June 7, 2017
Good cinematography and score. It's tonally all over the place. I think the writing is the biggest fault here, because it didn't really interest me. The performances were all fine, but Jude Law was a stand out for me, and I did really like when Stanley Tucci was on screen, but both are wasted by not being used very much.
June 1, 2017
Jude law's character felt kinda empty or edgy or something
and tom hanks' death was kinda cliched
other than those two things all other elements are pretty good
½ May 30, 2017
There is not a whole lot going on in this film: characters walk around with tommy guns and old gangster clothes, but the material never elevates itself beyond being a "good" gangster picture that goes through all the right steps, like the good boy in school who does all of his homework on time but never cares about what he learned. The movie wants to tell us all the way through that it's a deep, wise, and solemn picture about men and violence, I suppose, but there's nothing here that makes it extraordinary.
½ May 21, 2017
Again we are reminded that Tom Hanks can succeed in any role. In a genre full of legendary films "Road To Perdition" has made it's presence known.
May 5, 2017
Grade - B+
With great direction and fantastic performances, 'Road to Perdition' is an excellent crime drama. It overcomes some minor flaws thanks to a beautiful score and a good script.
½ April 25, 2017
The lengths a father will go to save the life of his son is astounding. Tom Hanks is brilliant in this film that depicts the levels of a father's love. Jude Law is down right terrifying. The reason he is so scary is because people like him actually exist in the world. He portrays the scum of the Earth and just sends chills up your spine when you watch him. the performances of all the actors are great, and the direction is as well. Gangster films always have a special place in my heart and this one did nothing to take away from that love of the genre, and keeps my love alive. The pairing of Paul Newman and Tom Hanks is a dream come true and Sam Mendes is the perfect one to paint their picture for them.
April 10, 2017
2008's The Dark Knight Is My Second Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ April 3, 2017
Well acted, but what is the message here? Father and son bonding over bloodshed? Predictable, dour.
February 14, 2017
Ultimate authentic, stylish 30's gangster film, but more than that- the story of a son's love for a father whose violent career is at odds with his otherwise moral and 'ordinary' family life. Spectacular performances by Hanks who masters the good and evil aspects of Sullivan, and the iconic Paul Newman, the Irish mob boss who was his mentor and employer. The Thomas Newman score is haunting, sentimental, memorable. I cannot recommend highly enough. More brilliant direction by Sam Mendes. *****
February 12, 2017
really boring film did not hold my attention
½ February 9, 2017
good acting but way too boring. It seemed like it was 4 hours long.
½ January 14, 2017
entertaining.. you will rewind many scenes.
January 1, 2017
Paul Newman in his final full movie steals the show, supporting a fine performance from Tom Hanks. Tyler Hoechlin (actually 14 at the time) is equally superb as the son, who know 12 years old discovers his "good father" is anything but good.
A slow-paced gangster movie exploring the relationship of father and son on the run, and brutally evoking the period of The Great Depression era. A little lacking in emotional attachment and some odd absurdities in the bank hold-ups (viz the lack of police) and in the character of Maguire, weaken what should have been a better, already decent film.
December 19, 2016
It's difficult to fully escape the sins of our fathers. Road to Perdition is the kind of movie that manages to be almost soothing even through its violence. The visuals are beautiful, especially the cinematography and camera framing, softening the death and blood without ignoring it. The score is a stunning juxtaposition of dark melodies and straight-up dissonance. All the performances are good, Hanks is REALLY good, and Newman is even better.
November 7, 2016
I haven't seen this in so long, and must watch it again!