Road to Perdition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Perdition Reviews

½ October 7, 2018
Sam Mendes handles the quiet familial moments with a familiar care but doesn't seem to know what to do with the more action-oriented scenes.
½ August 17, 2018
more salvation than damnation..

Road To Perdition

3 And A Half Out Of 5

Road To Perdition is a character driven dramatic thriller about a relationship between a father and a son which is brewed at a critical stage and higher stakes.

Despite of portraying an essential chapter or episode of a young kid, the writing wisely accounts in the bonding of him with his father from the scratch. And it is so well fed to the audience that despite of its dark tone and poignant theme, there is a cathartic experience on each tiny moments of them.

One of the primary strengths of the feature is its uncertainty and unexpected outcome that it evaluates keeping the audience tangled in its world where the sense of urgency too factors in a lot.

Each supporting character gets enough range and space to factor in and work effectively which shows how the makers were chewing the characters properly and were not in any rush.

The costumes designing is out of the park and so is the finely detailed production design but what draws in most of the attention is the metaphorical cinematography that is just pure passion throughout the course of it. An elevating background score, glorifying camera work and perfect editing are too some of its rich details.

The writing is simple as it can be but sensible and justifying as you've never seen. Mendes; the director, at the heart of it, has done a tremendous work on executing such a balanced feature.

Hanks has never been more impactful with a excellent support from Newman, Craig and Law. Jaw dropping visuals, whistle-blowing dialogues and a heartbreaking chemistry are the high points of the feature that makes you look twice.

Road To Perdition is more salvation than damnation since it has such a risky tone to explore at let along triumph over it; a masterstroke by the makers.
August 14, 2018
Well crafted script with top notch performances and a stunning photography... Also the period films I like very much... Totally it sets the tone for a ride...
July 10, 2018
(G)

7.9

[Sam Mendes]
July 10, 2018
This icy and at times off-putting film is propped up by fantastic cinematography and a bleeding heart that becomes more visible as the story progresses.
April 22, 2018
The story of the father and the child, the story of the family is impressed very much. Just with the brother's snow throwing scene at the beginning, my eyes got wet. However, it was spoiled by a dull screen, a famous act like Tom Hanks, a face of Jude Row, an out-of-date Paul Newman, a production lacking tension.
March 1, 2018
I said it many times before, any movie starring Tom Hanks is always good. Unfortunately, today I have to break that hindsight. Yes, the man can act, but if the script and the direction are not equally strong as he is, then he is going to be overshadowed by the film's flaws. "Road to Perdition" is a predictable, father and son noir that only offers a mildly impactful punch. The cinematography was great as well as the lighting, but they are wasted on underdeveloped scenes that don't deserve them.
January 13, 2018
Another masterpiece by Mendes starring one of the greatest actors of all time. This movie does not disappoint. Right behind Saving Private Ryan for Tom Hanks best films.
November 21, 2017
Great story of a detached father doing his best to protect what is left of his family. A dark tale well told.
½ November 7, 2017
Brilliantly directed film with Tom Hanks at his usual best.
November 2, 2017
Road to Perdition's slow-paced mafia drama has the right meta narrative but also has a few crucial missteps along the way. Most pertinently, while it boasts a stellar ensemble, Hanks is largely unconvincing for this revenge job, leaving behind many scenes without the needed closure to manoeuvre onward. I long for a remake.
August 17, 2017
8/17/2017: An excellent cast. It was a bit slow, but still a pretty good movie.
August 17, 2017
Brilliant, beautiful, emotional at times and great performances from Tom Hanks and Tyler Hoechlin. This is an effective different take on the mafia film genre adding in the father son element and their chemistry is very captivating to watch. This is a very very powerful film that people should see.
½ August 7, 2017
Very good drama with a little action. Overall the script moves pretty slowly. There are a lot of unnecessary drawn out scenes without dialogue. Feels more like the directors attempt to increase the length of the movie rather then build character's traits.

Excellent wardrobe design. Very good acting from Tom Hanks and his movie son. Paul Newman was alright.

I definitely recommend watching this at least once.
July 12, 2017
Is there a more adept actor that Tom Hanks? Does film get any better than this? Why not 5 stars, hard to explain. It's not a film that's easy to watch, the intensity is unremitting and I don't like the end. It's the right ending but I still don't like it. Jude Law never better, Paul Newman's last film appearance, a fitting finale. Sam Mendes never better.
June 18, 2017
Paradoxically, the closer Mendes gets to his characters, the more remote Perdition becomes. One wishes that his film had as much heart as it does art.
½ June 7, 2017
Good cinematography and score. It's tonally all over the place. I think the writing is the biggest fault here, because it didn't really interest me. The performances were all fine, but Jude Law was a stand out for me, and I did really like when Stanley Tucci was on screen, but both are wasted by not being used very much.
June 1, 2017
Jude law's character felt kinda empty or edgy or something
and tom hanks' death was kinda cliched
other than those two things all other elements are pretty good
½ May 30, 2017
There is not a whole lot going on in this film: characters walk around with tommy guns and old gangster clothes, but the material never elevates itself beyond being a "good" gangster picture that goes through all the right steps, like the good boy in school who does all of his homework on time but never cares about what he learned. The movie wants to tell us all the way through that it's a deep, wise, and solemn picture about men and violence, I suppose, but there's nothing here that makes it extraordinary.
½ May 21, 2017
Again we are reminded that Tom Hanks can succeed in any role. In a genre full of legendary films "Road To Perdition" has made it's presence known.