Roberta Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: Lovely to Look At!

The best movie song ever sung: Lovely to Look At!

• Sep 05, 2015

The movie dragged at times but "I won't dance" made it all worth it! <3 Fred!

The movie dragged at times but "I won't dance" made it all worth it! <3 Fred!

• Nov 13, 2014

Not the best of the Astaire/Rogers musicals, but an entertaining adaptation of the Broadway hit with old songs ("Smoke Gets In Your Eyes," "Yesterdays") and new ones ("I Won't Dance," "Lovely to Look At"). Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott provide the love interest.

• May 18, 2014

hard to handle dance and music, Smoke gets in your eyes & Lovely to look at delightful to know & heaven to kiss ... a combination like this <3

• Dec 03, 2013

Despite Irene Dunne having top billing, this fashion show of a musical is all about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The love story involving Dunne's character and Randolph Scott is standard will they, won't they. It's cute without being mushy. Astaire and Rogers have two of their best song/dance numbers in this movie, which makes this one of their more enjoyable outings. It doesn't hurt that they are helped with a great lead and great music. Grade: A-

• Oct 06, 2013

The main plot with Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott is really weak, especially all the stuff about the fashion business. Astaire and Rogers shine alone in this movie, in the (too) few scenes they have together. The movie barely even feels like a musical. Irene Dunne is a solid singer, but I'd have rather have had Ginger have her scenes. I did really like the interplay between Astaire and Rogers in this film; usually in some of their other movies they seem to have to start off resenting each other somehow, but in this they have a good kind of partner relationship right away, and Ginger shines comically as a fake Polish countess (or whatever). As I said, the Astaire/Rogers scenes are among their top notch romantic scenes together, but the movie sadly spends way too much time with the "main" plot.

• Nov 20, 2012

i wish there're even more Ginger & Fred Scenes in this movie

i wish there're even more Ginger & Fred Scenes in this movie

• Nov 05, 2012

well thats does the trick. its got smoke gets in your eyes in it. meanwhile: i have some tap shoes to dust down... true story #littleknowncolinfacts

• Aug 12, 2012

The dancing is impeccable but perhaps to 21st century eyes, it seems like Fred and Ginger are the stars and not the secondary characters. It makes for an odd focus.

• Aug 21, 2011

Five stars for the dancing!

Five stars for the dancing!