Rocky V - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky V Reviews

August 13, 2017
Rocky V has a few good scenes, but it's mostly a bloated mess that doesn't know what point it's trying to make. Dissapointing.
½ July 2, 2017
Almost the worst of all of the Rocky's (Creed is the worst). So terrible that I can't describe it. Stallone ruined the franchise with this turd.
jamrcla
June 27, 2017
My least favorite Rocky but I'm a true fan of the series and I still love it, There's allot of silly mistakes that could of been easily corrected and the street fight at the end was ok but we was all hoping it was in the ring, It tries to go back to its roots by adding more drama but it doesn't really work, Too many down times but it's still pretty good and underrated.
June 16, 2017
A disappointing not-conclusion to the Rocky franchise, Sylvester Stallone's performance as the titular character is still oddly compelling but that can't save the film from the fact that it departs from its predecessors. It follows a generic plot where Rocky claims that he will always be there for his son but this is ironic as he neglects his son most of the time in favour of another dude up to the point where his son finally makes him realize his mistake. If this was a spin-off called "Tommy Gunn" or something like that, it would've been decent. But no, the filmmakers just decided to slap on "Rocky V" on that in an attempt to make money. In fact, the film resorts to street-fighting in the climax made worse with Sly's last-minute decision not to kill Rocky. At least, we get the 2006 movie and the 2015 sorta-spin-off Creed out of the bargain. The weakest of the Rocky movies to date. You know it's bad when the montage isn't even as compelling as those from the previous movies and the soundtrack not as hummable. Sorry, Elton.
May 16, 2017
The Rocky series comes full circle with the fifth installment. John G. Avildsen takes the directorial reigns fourteen years after the film that won him an Oscar. Sylvester Stallone once more does double duty, starring and writing the installment, the latter job letting him take Balboa back to the blue-collar roots of the character. Gone is the glitz and glamour of the past few films that felt so opposed to what Rocky stands for: in its place, an emotional tale of familial strife and aging as boxing truly takes its toll on Rocky. Rocky V should work, which makes it all the more baffling that it never does.

Avildsen and Stallone introduce all of these subplots that work in theory, but are either never given enough development to have any real impact, or get caught up in awkward, and all around not so great execution. Rocky's brain damage sustained from his fight with Ivan Dragon is glossed over much too quickly: asidr from a couple of migranes/flashbacks, the effects of it that are shown throughout the movie are watered down to Stallone hamming it up. The interactions between Rocky and his son (played by Stallone's real-life son Sage) start out fine enough but slowly become more and more awkward as Sage just simply isn't quite up to par with the material (or maybe vice versa). The most heavily dealt with side of the plot, involving Rocky taking up Mick's mantle by training a reckless young fighter (in another real-life parallel, played by actual boxer Tommy Morrison), makes for an interesting angle as a potential passing of the torch, but is too predictable to ever pack the punch a (seemingly) final franchise film deserves.

The franchise would go on to find its comeback some sixteen years later, but it's no surprise Rocky V served as the catalyst to the series hanging up the gloves. The film harps on the idea of boxing being 10% muscle and the rest heart, but that heart just isn't beating the same way it was in '76.
May 4, 2017
The fifth movie in the series still packs quite a punch. Very underrated among Rocky fans. I would only place it behind the first two. (First and only viewing - 1/11/2009)
½ March 22, 2017
Nope, this one was my least favourite Rocky movie, it was just not what I wanted to see.
½ February 18, 2017
Watchable but was never gonna be anywhere near as good as the 1, 2 and 4
February 10, 2017
This shouldn't even be called a movie, it should be called "a mistake to cinema. The actors all feel like they have better places to be (which they do), all the new characters are so bland and forgettable you do't remember a thing about them, and the writing is some of the worst I've ever seen. IN my opinion, watch all the rocky movies (even 4) but this is one I beg you to skip.
½ December 13, 2016
This is a very good movie that can stand on its own without the Rocky legend. It's an intriguing story about a retired fighter, who's down on his luck, dealing with adversity with class and the occasional right hook.
November 3, 2016
I would of left this one in the draw.
October 25, 2016
The idea of Rocky stepping from boxer to trainer is a good one, but as we would see in future films, the idea is done so much better. It seems like a studio mandate of a film, but without any of the real love that the others, even the ridiculous one, had. If you could just imagine Rocky IV the goes into Rocky Balboa, that would be best.
October 15, 2016
Rocky V was a good movie not a lot of people like it. Well let me tell you about it. Rocky V starts with Rocky after the fight with Ivan Drago. Rocky was brain damage. He doesn't feel to good. Rocky wants to go home. So they go home and Rocky gives a speech about the fight. Then we meet George Washington Duke. He wants Rocky to fight his guy Union Cane. But Rocky says no. They go home and Adrian and Paulie are talking. Paulie lost all their money. So they have to go back into the old neighborhood. Rocky moves in to Paulie's old place. Rocky goes to Mighty mick's gym where Mickey used to work. He has a flashback scene which is very good. Then we once again see George Washington Duke trying to make Rocky fight again. He says no. Tommy Gunn comes and tries to talk to him but he walks away. The next day Rocky opens the place and Tommy wants to show Rocky what he can do. Rocky looks but isn't very interested. Meanwhile Rocky's son is having a hard time at school. The school bully beats him up and steals his jacket and lunch money. Rocky then decided to give Tommy Gunn a chance. He starts liking him and trains him to fight people. Then the training seance. There are two training scenes. There not the best but there ok. While there training his son is to and beats up the school bully. Then when christmas comes around Tommy turns on Rocky to George. Tommy wants to be champ. He fight Union Cane and becomes the champ. People thinks he is a fake until he beats Rocky. So they fight but it's a street fight. The street fight in a way is Kinda creepy but at the end Rocky wins the street fight. At the end, The song Measure of a man is a great song. This movie people don't like and I am not one of them 8/10.
½ September 30, 2016
A movie than certainly deserves better than it gets criticism wise. Yes the script is a little sappy here and there but the movie dares to take a different route this time which for my money pays off quite well in the end. By no means a classic but certainly as worthy of being a part of the cannon as Rocky IV.
September 29, 2016
Hey! You there!! Ya know what? ...I kinda like Rocky V, okay?

Let's start with the problems, because they certainly are glaringly obvious:

*Rocky acts like he is truly retarded throughout this one, rather than the sweet-natured oaf he played previously
*The scene in the gym where he sees Mickey talking to his younger(?) self is hack as f*ck
*Robert needs to shut the hell up and get that weird earring off of his head
*Paulie manages to literally give away all of the family's money by signing a single piece of paper (off screen)

But there's a lot of good here, too:

*The relationship with Tommy Gunn, a talented hot head who ultimately fails because he lacks Rocky's heart (Adrian's speech about this really well encapsulates the appeal of this series)
*The ending fight scene with Tommy is bad ass
*The weird, avant-garde black and white, "Jeremy's Spoken" style montage
*The emphasis on Rocky's PTSD following the Drago fight, which actually retroactively makes the impossibility of that previous feat more palatable
*George Duke Washington's scenery chewing
½ September 6, 2016
The black stain on the Rocky series. Worst film by far. Morrison came nowhere close to filling Stallone's shoes and took up too much screen time.
September 1, 2016
After a brain injury (brain damage) due to his bout with Russian boxer Ivan Drago in Rocky IV (1985), and many years of boxing catching up to him, Rocky is back in Rocky V (1990), but this time things have changed. Rocky is no longer world heavyweight champion (new title was created) but everyone around the world still considers him 'The Champion' and in this movie, Rocky takes on a manager role to Tommy (The Machine) Gunn (real life boxer Tommy Morrison), but Tommy gets involved in the darker side of boxing, and in the end turns on Rocky and challenges him. The challenge takes place out on the street, not inside the ring.

Rocky also deals with Rocky Jr. (Robert) being a teenager and doing teenager things, and his son teaches him a lesson he won't forget. Tommy Gunn wants his respect and many consider him a 'paper champion', and in the end, Rocky fights to keep his family intact.

Sylvester Stallone has admitted that Rocky V wasn't the best of films, and I would agree, but I don't think it was horrible. It could of been a lot better.
½ August 17, 2016
I respect that it tries to not follow the typical formula. I think hardcore fans of the series might find enjoyment in it. That being said, there is quite a bit wrong with it. It's cheesy, but not in the way the other sequels have been because it's also quite boring for the most part. I didn't really find the story all that compelling and found the movie to be quite dull. I think I would've even preferred the same story again for the 5th time in a row instead of this movie that's clearly trying to be different. Some of the story elements kind of work but some are just over the top and flat out uninteresting.
½ July 27, 2016
As far as brain damage goes, Rocky V is a shameful idiocy that cannot even justify why it was made, given how the whole family drama seems completely forced, the excess of sappiness is painful to see and in the end it all comes down to unnecessary, pointless street-fighting.
July 10, 2016
Somehow better than Rocky IV?