Rocky V - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky V Reviews

November 3, 2016
I would of left this one in the draw.
October 25, 2016
The idea of Rocky stepping from boxer to trainer is a good one, but as we would see in future films, the idea is done so much better. It seems like a studio mandate of a film, but without any of the real love that the others, even the ridiculous one, had. If you could just imagine Rocky IV the goes into Rocky Balboa, that would be best.
October 15, 2016
Rocky V was a good movie not a lot of people like it. Well let me tell you about it. Rocky V starts with Rocky after the fight with Ivan Drago. Rocky was brain damage. He doesn't feel to good. Rocky wants to go home. So they go home and Rocky gives a speech about the fight. Then we meet George Washington Duke. He wants Rocky to fight his guy Union Cane. But Rocky says no. They go home and Adrian and Paulie are talking. Paulie lost all their money. So they have to go back into the old neighborhood. Rocky moves in to Paulie's old place. Rocky goes to Mighty mick's gym where Mickey used to work. He has a flashback scene which is very good. Then we once again see George Washington Duke trying to make Rocky fight again. He says no. Tommy Gunn comes and tries to talk to him but he walks away. The next day Rocky opens the place and Tommy wants to show Rocky what he can do. Rocky looks but isn't very interested. Meanwhile Rocky's son is having a hard time at school. The school bully beats him up and steals his jacket and lunch money. Rocky then decided to give Tommy Gunn a chance. He starts liking him and trains him to fight people. Then the training seance. There are two training scenes. There not the best but there ok. While there training his son is to and beats up the school bully. Then when christmas comes around Tommy turns on Rocky to George. Tommy wants to be champ. He fight Union Cane and becomes the champ. People thinks he is a fake until he beats Rocky. So they fight but it's a street fight. The street fight in a way is Kinda creepy but at the end Rocky wins the street fight. At the end, The song Measure of a man is a great song. This movie people don't like and I am not one of them 8/10.
½ September 30, 2016
A movie than certainly deserves better than it gets criticism wise. Yes the script is a little sappy here and there but the movie dares to take a different route this time which for my money pays off quite well in the end. By no means a classic but certainly as worthy of being a part of the cannon as Rocky IV.
September 29, 2016
Hey! You there!! Ya know what? ...I kinda like Rocky V, okay?

Let's start with the problems, because they certainly are glaringly obvious:

*Rocky acts like he is truly retarded throughout this one, rather than the sweet-natured oaf he played previously
*The scene in the gym where he sees Mickey talking to his younger(?) self is hack as f*ck
*Robert needs to shut the hell up and get that weird earring off of his head
*Paulie manages to literally give away all of the family's money by signing a single piece of paper (off screen)

But there's a lot of good here, too:

*The relationship with Tommy Gunn, a talented hot head who ultimately fails because he lacks Rocky's heart (Adrian's speech about this really well encapsulates the appeal of this series)
*The ending fight scene with Tommy is bad ass
*The weird, avant-garde black and white, "Jeremy's Spoken" style montage
*The emphasis on Rocky's PTSD following the Drago fight, which actually retroactively makes the impossibility of that previous feat more palatable
*George Duke Washington's scenery chewing
½ September 6, 2016
The black stain on the Rocky series. Worst film by far. Morrison came nowhere close to filling Stallone's shoes and took up too much screen time.
September 1, 2016
After a brain injury (brain damage) due to his bout with Russian boxer Ivan Drago in Rocky IV (1985), and many years of boxing catching up to him, Rocky is back in Rocky V (1990), but this time things have changed. Rocky is no longer world heavyweight champion (new title was created) but everyone around the world still considers him 'The Champion' and in this movie, Rocky takes on a manager role to Tommy (The Machine) Gunn (real life boxer Tommy Morrison), but Tommy gets involved in the darker side of boxing, and in the end turns on Rocky and challenges him. The challenge takes place out on the street, not inside the ring.

Rocky also deals with Rocky Jr. (Robert) being a teenager and doing teenager things, and his son teaches him a lesson he won't forget. Tommy Gunn wants his respect and many consider him a 'paper champion', and in the end, Rocky fights to keep his family intact.

Sylvester Stallone has admitted that Rocky V wasn't the best of films, and I would agree, but I don't think it was horrible. It could of been a lot better.
½ August 17, 2016
I respect that it tries to not follow the typical formula. I think hardcore fans of the series might find enjoyment in it. That being said, there is quite a bit wrong with it. It's cheesy, but not in the way the other sequels have been because it's also quite boring for the most part. I didn't really find the story all that compelling and found the movie to be quite dull. I think I would've even preferred the same story again for the 5th time in a row instead of this movie that's clearly trying to be different. Some of the story elements kind of work but some are just over the top and flat out uninteresting.
½ July 27, 2016
As far as brain damage goes, Rocky V is a shameful idiocy that cannot even justify why it was made, given how the whole family drama seems completely forced, the excess of sappiness is painful to see and in the end it all comes down to unnecessary, pointless street-fighting.
jamrcla
July 18, 2016
My least favorite Rocky but im a true fan of the series and I still love it, There's allot of silly mistakes that could of been easily corrected and the street fight at the end was ok but we was all hoping it was in the ring, It tries to go back to its roots by adding more drama but it doesn't really work, Too many downtimes but it's still pretty good and very underrated.
July 10, 2016
Somehow better than Rocky IV?
July 9, 2016
Great story and a fantastic movie. Almost as good as the first, but not quite. Seeing Rocky lose all of this money and return to what we fell in love with in the first movie was great to see. 5/5
½ June 27, 2016
I'd give it 1 star but there was SOME boxing so I'll give it that. But honestly, Rocky 5 just makes me sad. Despite the previous for being classics (And also great inspiring sports flicks), Rocky 5 just makes you feel that Rocky is getting sick and is staring to die. I'm not just talking about Balboa, I'm talking about the franchise to.
½ June 26, 2016
Stupid and unnecessary for a sequel, Rocky 5 outs the franchise to a screeching holt for it to be redeemed in the future
June 13, 2016
Bit shit. Shame, this rocky film shouldn't have been made. Boring slow bad acting and just unneeded
½ June 13, 2016
The story takes a nice turn in the fifth movie of this franchise with Rocky losing it all and finding himself back where he started. He has difficulty readjusting, especially with the complication of having a family. The father-son angle plays out well in this one and it's a refreshing change not having Rocky set foot in a ring. All that said, any kind of originality for this franchise has already run out of steam by this fifth movie. Viewers choose to either accept or not accept the cheesiness.
June 12, 2016
Awful. Truly not believable and dragged on. By far the worst movie in the franchise.
June 8, 2016
Great movie this movie has some very emotional scenes
June 4, 2016
Rocky 5 is the complete downfall of the series featuring a weak story, phoned-in performances, questionable character moments and even Stallone himself has admitted it's terrible and the low-point of the franchise. It really isn't a Rocky movie at all; he never once steps in the ring and instead trains a new up-and-coming fighter named, Tommy Gunn (played by real-life fighter, Tommy Morrison), who intrudes too far into Rocky's life to where he ends up neglecting his son, Rocky Jr, played fittingly by his real-life son, Sage Stallone. The film is a complete farce of the franchise with the main message being: throwing a punch will solve all of your problems and the meat-headed attitude throughout the film betrays the characters. Throughout the film we are annoyed to death by an irritating boxing promoter who is trying to get Rocky out of retirement, and when that plan fails, sets his sights on the impressionable, Tommy Gunn. The film ends with a retarded street fight between Rocky and Tommy that really just has to be seen to be believed and it's such a weak way to cap off the franchise at the time. Most franchises have one or a few black sheep installments, and this is easily the worst film in the Rocky series and you can honestly skip right over it if you're marathoning the films. Oh, and you got to love how Rocky Jr. goes from being about 8 years old in Rocky 4, to like 14 in this film in the span of Rocky's flight home from Russia, continuity ftw!
June 3, 2016
Rocky V is a really disappointing part of the film series and I think Sylvester Stallone didn't really give out the heart of the character like he did with the last four films.