Roger & Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roger & Me Reviews

April 14, 2017
Finally, an American film that actually has some patriotism. This is the documentary to end all documentaries.
January 6, 2017
A very inspiring documentary
½ November 17, 2016
Interesting documentary but all the while Moore stays on the left, his documentaries will only be half as good as they could be.
November 9, 2016
An ambitious start for this proactive, awareness raising director.
July 19, 2016
Michael Moore's debut is a strong one indeed.
May 2, 2016
Though Roger & Me was filmed more than 25 years before income inequality became an everyday topic, there still is no better demonstration of how the 1% segregates itself from the sufferings of the 99%. The ladies teeing off at the country club say it all.
February 17, 2016
A masterpiece. Michael Moore's documentary about the General Motors layoffs and their effect on his hometown of Flint Michigan is personal, relevant, timely, moving and tragic. This is one of a few great works of art inspired by the automobile industry and an unforgettable fable of the decline of the middle class, wealth inequality, exploitation, and the failure of a company town.
April 18, 2015
When at the top of his game like in this doc,Moore is a cleaver,smart and funny film maker.
March 7, 2015
Michael Moore's first outing in the medium of documentary and film making we've come to know him for is strong and unafraid to spark controversy as well as awareness.
½ January 7, 2015
Behold! Michael Moore's only good movie! Or as good a movie as Michael Moore is capable of making.
½ November 18, 2014
Darkly funny and often poignant, a film that shows Michael Moore's true talents.
½ June 16, 2014
Before Michael Moore became a professional polarizer whose persona overshadowed his films, he was just an earnest hometown boy, telling an important story with wit, anger, and tragedy. This is arguably his best film.
April 2, 2014
This is Michael Moore's first documentary and it is a very entertaining piece of work. It mainly looks at the devastation of his hometown Flint after numerous GM plant closings. If you are a Moore fan then you should definitely check this one out.
½ February 1, 2014
An excellent documentary from amazing director Michael Moore. It's fascinating to see the evolution, degradation and hopes of Flint, a small town of Michigan who's been facing many set back since the automobile industry has been shut down. Moore with his good energy and nice personality manages to make us laugh while we watch so many lives being shattered and wasted since the unemployment has rocketed and violence escalated to some horrible degrees.
January 7, 2014
Everybody has a beginning and, of course, Michael Moore starts in Flint.
½ December 13, 2013
Flint truly is one of the scrungiest shit-streaks in the country. one of the reasons for this is that they take the time to form lynch mobs in order to burn copies of magazines that criticize their poodle-vomit stenched fucking town.
November 30, 2013
A bold documentary. Intriguing and depressing.
November 1, 2013
Roger& Me is a documentary film that follows the events that lead to the unpredicted urban decay of Flint, Michigan. The film, taken from the standpoint of laid-off employees of General Motors (GM), captures the disparity between the rich and those declining into destitution, and the attempts of one man to gain recognition for the city through and endless pursuit of GM?s General Chairman, Roger Smith.

The film begins with a collection of archival footage of the filmmaker?s youth strewn together in a series of clips. His intent in providing this, seemingly, is to convey the depth of the relationship that he had with his hometown, Flint, and that same intimacy and dependency that it had with General Motors. From here we are taken into contemporary Flint, to which our filmmaker has returned after a mutual disharmony with San Francisco, where we find ourselves in the midst of a mass employee layoff by General Motors. Flint?s GM plants are getting ready to shut down and move their facilities into Mexico, where labor is significantly cheaper, and about 30,000 Flint employees are preparing their selves and their families for the misfortune that will lie ahead. From this point we watch the citizens of Flint, most of which were GM workers, and its economy descend into a depression from which we can only hope it returns. Throughout the documentary our filmmaker not only carries the role as the visionary, but he also assumes the role of the director, narrator, participant and I may even go as far to say the film?s representative protagonist.
It is clear that Moore intended to criticize the greed-fueled decision of Roger Smith and his lack of insight into just how great an impact his decision would have; he may have even been implicitly referring to all corporate leaders, but the story that he has presented to us yields more than one moral. Based on the filmmaker?s method in filming I have found two secondary aphorisms to prevail: (1) What are we willing to give up in the quest for progress, and (2) Ultimately people are only concerned about their own well-being. However, in examining this film one could find a multitude of underlying morals being professed/upheld, for Moore?s film is not one-note, but it seems that the first two are more readily identifiable.
Moore formats his film in such a way that we see these great disparities in ?character? as individuals or institutions approach what they consider to be progress or success. Though, too often do we forget that in order to progress you must abandon old concepts, ideals, modes of action, and general things of the past and acquire better, otherwise it is not progression. The problem in Roger and Me, though, is that often times we are willing to give up too much or simply the wrongs things, and our quest for progress and advancement loses that quality and simply becomes greed.