Rosemary's Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rosemary's Baby Reviews

July 19, 2016
Once Rosemary's Baby takes off, it becomes a brilliant psychological and claustrophobic horror film.

After a woman gets pregnant, she becomes increasingly suspicious as a result of bizarre coincidences and occurrences. She then starts to expect the worst and slowly starts to dip into insanity.

The film's construction is amazing. Things start off slow and then slowly build up. Things gradually pick up speed to make us more nervous. The events start off a bit slow at first but once the movie picks up, it keeps us on the edge of our seats and we're left on our seats dying to find out what happens next.

This is definitely one of the more atmospheric, subtle, and creepy horror films out there. It's really rare that you find a film like this anymore. Most horror films are "in your face" nowadays but this one sneaks up on you and messes with your head throughout it.

The score is amazing. The soft motherly voice and the shill instruments get under our skin and it sets up what kind of movie this is. Mia Farrow gave an outstanding performance. She did a great job setting scenes with her facial expressions. The other supporting actors and actresses were great but Mia did the best job.

To be honest though, I saw the ending coming from a mile away. I'm not going to say what it is but it was very predictable. I would've been surprised if my prediction about what I think would happen wasn't correct. During the film, I thought "I don't think they're going to do this. It would be way too predictable".

The ending needed work. It wasn't completely terrible but it wasn't all that surprising like I hoped it to be. Despite that, the movie is still a phenomenal work of horror. It's claustrophobic and it has a great pacing. It's guaranteed to get under your skin.
July 17, 2016
The best horror movie ever made.
½ July 8, 2016
Rosemary's Baby is always a capable psychological thriller, but truly becomes horrifying at the end when the baby is finally due. Throughout, you almost wonder how much is really true, but by the end, oh my is it scary. Mia Farrow is phenomenal as the titular character. John Cassavetes, Ruth Gordon, and Sidney Blackmer, are all also very, very good in their roles. Roman Polanski, despite all of his personal shortfalls, is truly a wondrous director. Though I prefer Chinatown, this one is still phenomenal in every category relevant. Truly a master class example of the psychological thriller genre, Rosemary's Baby is deserving of its crown as a classic.
½ June 27, 2016
Such a good classic! One of my all time favorites.
½ June 14, 2016
Don't believe the hype it's not that good of a movie
May 31, 2016
I can see why people rate this as one of the greatest horror classics ever made. Disturbing at times, (and made especially creepy by the theme music) Rosemary's Baby is a very interesting and worrying film. Believable performances especially from Farrow and Gordon, i was pleasantly surprised in the direction this film took.
May 19, 2016
Polanski purifying New York, with it's satanic tale of the coming master. Deep rooted in the starting young family which settles down into the coven of sacrifice. The underlying psychological forces penetrating the womb of Rosemary. Tannis root is securing the pure genes of the master, hidden like an occult matter.
½ May 4, 2016
Guidebook to Horror film making.
May 2, 2016
Haunting and suspenseful.
½ April 16, 2016
Mia Farrow's character is so unbelievably needy and passive, Ruth Gordon's acting mannerisms really distract but this is still a movie worth watching. Mia Farrow's and John Cassavetes' acting both hold your attention and Polanski does an excellent job of structuring a "believable" modern day horror story, effectively using the iconic Dakota apt. building as a starring character. The movie is also fascinating as a precursor to the real life horrors that followed for Polanski, with the murder of his wife by a satanic cult and the murder of John Lennon in front of the Dakota where he lived.
February 26, 2016
Rosemary's Baby is a dark masterpiece that will surely get under your skin. Great performances by everyone in the cast, and masterfully done work by the Master Roman Polanski. Rosemary's Baby is Polanski's best film and one of the best horror/suspense movies ever made.
½ February 1, 2016
Waited so long for the baby to come out that it wouldn't have felt much different had I actually waited nine months. And after all that, you don't even see the bloody baby! Building of tension and a disturbing atmosphere can accentuate horror better than gore and 'Rosemary's baby' does to some extent support that. The sense of mystery about the characters who are paying Rosemary and her baby so much attention is unsettling, however this dynamic alone fails to justify the foreseeable twists and lack of significant scary events.
January 14, 2016
Fucking amazing. Thrilling, suspenseful, engaging, unpredictable, and ballsy. Mia Farrow is amazing and this movie stands the test of time in many ways. You'll actually care about this protagonist and more so, care about where the story goes and what consequences will come about for our protagonist. Empathy and sympathy, on the part of the audience, for a character in a film is difficult to accomplish. This movie does so in waves by framing Rosemary Woodhouse in such an innocent, sweet, and harmless way that makes you truly yell at the screen, hoping you'll save her by telling her to do this or to not do that.
January 10, 2016
Fascinating and aging with grace, this is a horror classic that will scare the pants of many mothers-to-be. Rosemary is a wonderfully naive and vulnerable.
It might not be shocking by todays standard, but remains effective and well made.
½ January 3, 2016
A very uncomfortable movie it's realistic take on horror makes the film that much scarier directed well acted well it's ending will leave speechless
½ December 23, 2015
The ending would have been much scarier if everybody hadn't started shouting, "Hail Satan!" making things a bit unintentionally humorous, but other than that and a few writing head-scratchers, Rosemary's Baby delivered.
December 13, 2015
One of the absolute creepiest and uneasy films I've ever sent, the most frightening thing about Rosemary's Baby is how human and relatable the actors make their sick characters and the constant wishing that what you know is true about her baby isn't.
December 8, 2015
This is great, it's not really a 'horror' movie though per se. It's more of a direct progression on from 'Repulsion', here we have so many themes being explored and the main central fear of pregnancy. Farrow is really terrific in the main role, watch it if you haven't already.
December 7, 2015
One of the best films ever made.