Rosemary's Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rosemary's Baby Reviews

October 19, 2017
I Don't Like The Devil And Satan And Hell And I Don't Believe In All Three Of Them I Only Just Believe In God And Heaven.
October 5, 2017
Mia Farrow gives one of the best performance in horror history. It's a masterful slow-burn with an ending you'll never forget.
JR Dela Pena
September 13, 2017
A slow-burn movie that will slowly poked the curiosity of its audience and knows how to keep it in touch while throwing a tricky mystery within the characters and between Rosemary's sanity and belief. A very disturbing tale of motherhood every women do not deserve to posses.
August 18, 2017
I think Rosemary?s Baby is shot well, and it has a mostly cohesive story that makes sense from start to finish. These are aspects I appreciate in any film, so I have to be up front about it and give this film some credit for succeeding on a technical level. Now that I?ve softened the blow, I?ll just say that I despised every other aspect of this film. It opens as one of the most boring movies I?ve ever watched. While I knew what was coming and that there was some serious stuff behind the scenes, we don?t see any of that so it is basically just a couple moving into a new apartment and making friends with the neighbors. Aside from a suicide which seems to impact no one for more than 30 seconds of screen time, the first act is tediously bland to the point where I was tempted to just fast-forward through everything.

Then, in one of the most drastic tone shifts in film history, we get the joy of watching this ordinary nice woman being drugged, and then raped by a beast in some kind of drug-haze. This scene was enough to make me turn off the movie for awhile and question if it was worth watching any further. After some debate I soldiered on because this is a classic that a film fan should see in its entirety, right? Well, I was welcomed back into the film by a return to form as I watched another hour of boredom. Undoubtedly I was supposed to have chills or something because everything that is happening to her is so ominous, but it all seemed pretty mundane to me. Not only that. but it was ridiculously repetitive, because Rosemary just kept going back and forth between fear and trust. It?s not until the third act that finally we see light shed on some things.

Now that things are being revealed, I?m supposed to be caught up in Rosemary?s panic and be wowed by all the pieces falling into place. But I already new the broad strokes of what was happening before I started the film so I just sat there annoyed that it took her so long to catch up with me. Now you can say that this film might have worked if it wasn?t spoiled for me, but I can?t imagine that is the case. It doesn?t change how boring things are and how annoyingly repetitive most of it seems. I?m not particularly a fan of horror anyways, and the horror films I like have tension that builds throughout. Rosemary?s Baby never built tension for me, it just seemed to appear in bursts and then go away, and then I?d spend long periods of time thinking ?Get on with it!!? There wasn?t much of anything that I found to enjoy in this entire film. It was a thoroughly frustrating experience to watch right up until the final frame. So, it might be a classic that some people find enthralling, but I thoroughly hated it.
August 17, 2017
This easily earns its place as one of the best and most chilling horror movies of all time. It oozes Roman Polanski's signature style and atmosphere, and has brilliant performances from all involved. Genuinely creepy and disturbing. Awesome film-making.
August 15, 2017
Rosemary's Baby is the epitome of classic horror. Oh yes, horror thrillers do not come much classier than this. 1968 and yet impressively still feels fresh when watching it for the first time today. It's one of those classic films that I think every film buff or cinephile or average movie fan should watch and I'm sure it's a popular choice when studying the medium of film. The story revolves around a young woman called Rosemary who moves into a new apartment with her husband. She wishes to conceive a baby, but when her obsessive neighbours become involved things start to take a turn into the realm of surrealism. A prime example of this, would be her "dream". She dreamt that she was being raped by Satan and that her neighbours and husband were watching as if it was a ritual. But of course we all know what actually happened (I shan't spoil it). It's a plot of mystery and intrigue. Roman Polanski's intelligent direction and screenplay was quite unique. We all knew what happened to Rosemary and we all knew what the end result was going to be, but we as the audience were interested in how Rosemary unravels the plot herself. This could've been a mystery with several twists and turns, but it's more than that. This was all focussed on her. Mia Farrow was excellent and easily held her own against the rest of the supporting cast. She exhumed innocence, fragility and transformed herself. I was impressed. Ruth Gordon won the Best Supporting actress award, I thought she was good but nothing outstanding. Although, she got that New York accent down to a tee! loved how we never saw what Rosemary's baby looked like, the imagery that is conjured up relies on the audience's imagination and I found that to be powerful. There were a few plot conveniences and I found the pacing to be inconsistent. A scene that oozed intrigue was then followed by a slower scene that seemed to negate everything that was before it. However, this is a solid classic horror film that, I'm sure, will never be forgotten.
July 30, 2017
It's like evil incarnate is in the room with you when you're watching it.
½ July 13, 2017
Playing on one of my greatest fears, that people around me might be conspiring against me, this film probably frightened me more than any other film I've seen even though I am not particularly religious and devil movies aren't usually my cup of tea.
July 6, 2017
A unique story for its time that pushed all the boundaries! May not be the most outwardly scary film but is certainly entertaining to watch
July 3, 2017
The mix between Satanism and pregnancy really sets the scene for this horror film. It's masterfully created and makes you sympathise with Rosemary who just wants to have a baby and be a loving mother.
½ June 26, 2017
It may not be very scary but I can imagine how terrible it must have been for the audience in those times. A classic horror story, it is quite interesting how Mia Farrow developed her character. Ruth Gordon was also terrific!
June 20, 2017
Truly a classic movie! A creepy tale that invests you into what will happen to poor Rosemary as she struggles through her pregnancy, wanting the best for her child, but the unknown awaits.
June 18, 2017
Tecnicamente perfeito, a narração delicadamente se desdobra em uma tensão perturbadora, a direção e pontualmente eficaz e o melhor é um clássico do terror, juntando toda isso o que temos?
Uma grande decepção, o final ou a falta dele, faz de Rosemary's Baby um fiasco, o inicio promissor eleva nossas expectativas, então esperamos ser impactados com algo nunca imaginado antes, mas não é o que acontece, o filme termina em uma montanha de duvidas e incertezas desconsolantes, deixando o expectador se afogando em duvidas e confusões.
½ June 6, 2017
It may be a little too campy by today's standards, but Rosemary's Baby finds writer-director Roman Polanski infusing this classic horror film with a brilliant blend of female-driven anxiety and chilling restraint, and a phenomenal, engaging performance from Mia Farrow makes this tale much less monotonous than it would've been otherwise.
½ May 1, 2017
Stands the test of time. A creepy, suspenseful horror that drags the audience to the shocking, non-gratuitous, conclusion. The politeness of people prove more toxic to poor Rosemary than all the pills and mysterious potions she must take. Like The Omen and The Exorcist, this must be a ride of terror for believers. Lucky them. My greatest horror ride was Insidious when I screamed the house down from start to finish. So I can guess how they'd feel.
One little point. Will there ever be film makers brave enough to use Christianity as the platform for evil, or will it always be non-Christians causing all the trouble?
April 29, 2017
Brilliant in every way. A classic.
April 26, 2017
I loved this one, the tenant is my other favourite by roman Polanski
April 20, 2017
A must-see for any fan of horror movies. In a very "Hitchcock-esque" manner, Rosemary's Baby provides an unsettling, yet magnetic view into the tale of an unfortunate young woman's pregnancy. Every actor's performance in this film is superb, and the set-design, score, and overall theme are so attractive, that one can't help but become absorbed into this masterpiece. An all-time classic, and a necessity among the libraries of serious film collectors.
April 12, 2017
Haunting. Ominous. Disorienting. Amazing.
½ April 4, 2017
Once Rosemary's Baby takes off, it becomes a brilliant psychological and claustrophobic horror film.

After a woman gets pregnant, she becomes increasingly suspicious as a result of bizarre coincidences and occurrences. She then starts to expect the worst and slowly starts to dip into insanity.

The film's construction is amazing. Things start off slow and then slowly build up. Things gradually pick up speed to make us more nervous. The events start off a bit slow at first but once the movie picks up, it keeps us on the edge of our seats and we're left on our seats dying to find out what happens next.

This is definitely one of the more atmospheric, subtle, and creepy horror films out there. It's really rare that you find a film like this anymore. Most horror films are "in your face" nowadays but this one sneaks up on you and messes with your head throughout it.

The score is amazing. The soft motherly voice and the shill instruments get under our skin and it sets up what kind of movie this is. Mia Farrow gave an outstanding performance. She did a great job setting scenes with her facial expressions. The other supporting actors and actresses were great but Mia did the best job.

To be honest though, I saw the ending coming from a mile away. I'm not going to say what it is but it was very predictable. I would've been surprised if my prediction about what I think would happen wasn't correct. During the film, I thought "I don't think they're going to do this. It would be way too predictable".

The ending needed work. It wasn't completely terrible but it wasn't all that surprising like I hoped it to be. Despite that, the movie is still a phenomenal work of horror. It's claustrophobic and it has a great pacing. It's guaranteed to get under your skin.