Rosemary's Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rosemary's Baby Reviews

January 12, 2018
Strong story without the need for gore, jump scares, and other horror trappings.
½ December 31, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Roman Polanski haya en su narración de Rosemary's Baby la manera de crear tensión, terror y suspenso en la audiencia que marca un hito de este género.
December 30, 2017
Rosemary's Baby is one of the most sneakily ingenious psycho-dramas ever made. Director Roman Polanski, a quite correctly demonized figure today, was a masterful director in his day. In Rosemary's Baby, arguably his finest film, Polanski uses film technique and his unique sensibilities to take seemingly normal and mundane things and use our perceptions of those things against us. The most obvious and blatant of these mundane things is using the elderly as the film's villains, especially the grandmotherly Ruth Gordon. https://geeks.media/classic-movie-review-rosemary-s-baby?_ga=2.165053695.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710
December 24, 2017
M-F-O

9.6

[Roman Polanski]
½ November 28, 2017
I give this a 86/B+.
October 29, 2017
[Rosemary's Baby] is a disturbing, sometimes shocking horror movie, with over the top acting, and enough suspicion to keep this movie entertaining, while at the same time leaving you on the edge of your seat.
October 24, 2017
A breathtaking horror masterpiece about male-female relationships in the 1960s, and religious zeal and paranoia.

There are strong performances by Sidney Blackmer, John Cassavetes, and Maurice Evans. However, the work done by Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon is nothing shy of amazing.
½ October 21, 2017
95%, More of a suspense, but well done and innovative
October 19, 2017
I Don't Like The Devil And Satan And Hell And I Don't Believe In All Three Of Them I Only Just Believe In God And Heaven.
October 5, 2017
Mia Farrow gives one of the best performance in horror history. It's a masterful slow-burn with an ending you'll never forget.
JR Dela Pena
September 13, 2017
A slow-burn movie that will slowly poked the curiosity of its audience and knows how to keep it in touch while throwing a tricky mystery within the characters and between Rosemary's sanity and belief. A very disturbing tale of motherhood every women do not deserve to posses.
August 18, 2017
I think Rosemary?s Baby is shot well, and it has a mostly cohesive story that makes sense from start to finish. These are aspects I appreciate in any film, so I have to be up front about it and give this film some credit for succeeding on a technical level. Now that I?ve softened the blow, I?ll just say that I despised every other aspect of this film. It opens as one of the most boring movies I?ve ever watched. While I knew what was coming and that there was some serious stuff behind the scenes, we don?t see any of that so it is basically just a couple moving into a new apartment and making friends with the neighbors. Aside from a suicide which seems to impact no one for more than 30 seconds of screen time, the first act is tediously bland to the point where I was tempted to just fast-forward through everything.

Then, in one of the most drastic tone shifts in film history, we get the joy of watching this ordinary nice woman being drugged, and then raped by a beast in some kind of drug-haze. This scene was enough to make me turn off the movie for awhile and question if it was worth watching any further. After some debate I soldiered on because this is a classic that a film fan should see in its entirety, right? Well, I was welcomed back into the film by a return to form as I watched another hour of boredom. Undoubtedly I was supposed to have chills or something because everything that is happening to her is so ominous, but it all seemed pretty mundane to me. Not only that. but it was ridiculously repetitive, because Rosemary just kept going back and forth between fear and trust. It?s not until the third act that finally we see light shed on some things.

Now that things are being revealed, I?m supposed to be caught up in Rosemary?s panic and be wowed by all the pieces falling into place. But I already new the broad strokes of what was happening before I started the film so I just sat there annoyed that it took her so long to catch up with me. Now you can say that this film might have worked if it wasn?t spoiled for me, but I can?t imagine that is the case. It doesn?t change how boring things are and how annoyingly repetitive most of it seems. I?m not particularly a fan of horror anyways, and the horror films I like have tension that builds throughout. Rosemary?s Baby never built tension for me, it just seemed to appear in bursts and then go away, and then I?d spend long periods of time thinking ?Get on with it!!? There wasn?t much of anything that I found to enjoy in this entire film. It was a thoroughly frustrating experience to watch right up until the final frame. So, it might be a classic that some people find enthralling, but I thoroughly hated it.
August 17, 2017
This easily earns its place as one of the best and most chilling horror movies of all time. It oozes Roman Polanski's signature style and atmosphere, and has brilliant performances from all involved. Genuinely creepy and disturbing. Awesome film-making.
August 15, 2017
Rosemary's Baby is the epitome of classic horror. Oh yes, horror thrillers do not come much classier than this. 1968 and yet impressively still feels fresh when watching it for the first time today. It's one of those classic films that I think every film buff or cinephile or average movie fan should watch and I'm sure it's a popular choice when studying the medium of film. The story revolves around a young woman called Rosemary who moves into a new apartment with her husband. She wishes to conceive a baby, but when her obsessive neighbours become involved things start to take a turn into the realm of surrealism. A prime example of this, would be her "dream". She dreamt that she was being raped by Satan and that her neighbours and husband were watching as if it was a ritual. But of course we all know what actually happened (I shan't spoil it). It's a plot of mystery and intrigue. Roman Polanski's intelligent direction and screenplay was quite unique. We all knew what happened to Rosemary and we all knew what the end result was going to be, but we as the audience were interested in how Rosemary unravels the plot herself. This could've been a mystery with several twists and turns, but it's more than that. This was all focussed on her. Mia Farrow was excellent and easily held her own against the rest of the supporting cast. She exhumed innocence, fragility and transformed herself. I was impressed. Ruth Gordon won the Best Supporting actress award, I thought she was good but nothing outstanding. Although, she got that New York accent down to a tee! loved how we never saw what Rosemary's baby looked like, the imagery that is conjured up relies on the audience's imagination and I found that to be powerful. There were a few plot conveniences and I found the pacing to be inconsistent. A scene that oozed intrigue was then followed by a slower scene that seemed to negate everything that was before it. However, this is a solid classic horror film that, I'm sure, will never be forgotten.
July 30, 2017
It's like evil incarnate is in the room with you when you're watching it.
½ July 13, 2017
Playing on one of my greatest fears, that people around me might be conspiring against me, this film probably frightened me more than any other film I've seen even though I am not particularly religious and devil movies aren't usually my cup of tea.
July 6, 2017
A unique story for its time that pushed all the boundaries! May not be the most outwardly scary film but is certainly entertaining to watch
July 3, 2017
The mix between Satanism and pregnancy really sets the scene for this horror film. It's masterfully created and makes you sympathise with Rosemary who just wants to have a baby and be a loving mother.
½ June 26, 2017
It may not be very scary but I can imagine how terrible it must have been for the audience in those times. A classic horror story, it is quite interesting how Mia Farrow developed her character. Ruth Gordon was also terrific!
June 20, 2017
Truly a classic movie! A creepy tale that invests you into what will happen to poor Rosemary as she struggles through her pregnancy, wanting the best for her child, but the unknown awaits.