'Round Midnight Reviews

• Jul 12, 2015

• Jun 13, 2015

A really nice movie with an incredible score and soundtrack that fits the mood to this chill movie. Dexter Gordon is great in this especially in really quiet scenes with just him and Francois Cluzet who does a nice job too. This movie is so calm and then a fun small performance from Martin Scorsese comes in and brings this kinetic energy to the movie. Also the musical numbers are either filled with energy or are nice and calm all appropriately handled in tone. It is a great portrait of the jazz world

• Mar 23, 2015

Dexter Gordon plays Dale Turner, the ailing, alcoholic jazz great on his last legs in the 50's. Amazing performance by Gordon, both on and off the stage. It all goes down in Paris and New York. Full of cool jazz performances by a number of jazz greats making this a classic. The film locations, shots and atmosphere elevate the film. Very good.

• Sep 02, 2014

A jazzy film that can appeal to viewers of all different sorts, with a fantastic leading performance from Dexter Gordon.

John B Super Reviewer
    Mar 05, 2014

Dexter Gordon's portrayal of a fish out of water in Paris is marvelous. We soon learn that stepping across an ocean does not allow one to run away from problems.

• Jun 11, 2013

I recently had the privilege of watching this film in the presence of Tavernier himself when it was shown at the 2013 John Ford Film Symposium in Dublin. The film was shown at the Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin. I was so impressed with the plot, the live-recorded music and the way the film was filmed that it has inspired me to check out another of Tavernier's works - Deathwatch and continue to review his work. As I said to Tavernier after the screening 'Merci beaucoup' for such an enjoyable film all round.

• Jun 01, 2013

Must watch if you love Jazz.

Must watch if you love Jazz.

• Jan 06, 2013

A touching film about the beauty, passion and heartache of the creative geniuses of jazz. In Dale Turner, one gets a sense of the heart and soul of the artist, the joy and pain he experiences in creating and living his art. Dexter Gordon was excellent, and Herbie Hancock provided a fabulous score.

• Sep 08, 2012

Such a perfect film. Really gives the best possible portrayal of the grittiness of the '50s jazz scene in Paris but does so in a way that was able to engage audiences from 30 years after the fact right up until today.

• Apr 04, 2012

Remains at or near the top of the list of great jazz movies. Dexter Gordon quietly evokes the soul of his character and of the music in every scene. Dripping with melancholy and nostalgia. One of my favorites of 80's.