Sands of Iwo Jima Reviews

• Jun 07, 2019

One Of The Dukes Best A Stellar Performance

One Of The Dukes Best A Stellar Performance

• Feb 23, 2019

I Guess As Far As A 'Glorified' Look At A Debacle Of A Military Exercise, To Capture A Small Piece Of Rock In The Pacific, Mostly To Prove A Point, That The USA Has Gumpton & Might; It Acheives 'Hero Status' On What Might Otherwise Be Reflected Upon By Others As A Tradegy, A Great-Loss & Nothing To Really Celebrate. It Is However An Important Event In The American Narrative Of 'Freedom', So This Reflection, Some Might Call Post-War Properganda, Is What It Is. I Know The Clint Eastwood Films On The Same Topic, One Told From The United States Side, The Other Film From The Japanese Side, Are A Better Rendition-Reflection Of How Difficult It All Was. The Interesting Part Of This Version Was The Mix Of Real Footage From The Battle.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best thrilling and inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: John Wayne as Nathan Stryker!

• Sep 27, 2018

I knew many marines that were there. They seemed to think it was the most realistic was movie ever made.

• Feb 21, 2018

All the way around, this is one of The Duke's most definitive and great War movies.

• Dec 29, 2017

I have seen so many movies about WWII in the past year that I’ve almost forgotten every detail of what happened in Sands of Iwo Jima. It takes a truly remarkable or outstanding war movie to hold a significant place in my memory. This one has some intense sequences, and of course it’s always tough to see the reality of the deaths that occurred in WWII, but not one character stuck with me other than John Wayne (who just feels like he’s playing himself as usual.) The way that the battles are shown feels authentic, and from what I’ve heard Sands of Iwo Jima actually includes some real-world war footage, which might help with that realistic feeling. But the key to making a more emotionally resonant war film (and I assume that’s what they were attempting here) is creating sympathetic characters that you can root for and be worried about when they charge into battle. The cast of actors simply weren’t good enough, and the script wasn’t strong enough to make that happen for me.

• Oct 15, 2017

"THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA" is one of the top 3 war films of all times. John Wayne is the man boys like me wanted to be like. God bless our military!

• Aug 31, 2017

Classic. Follows the war movie formula. Probably gave birth to it.

Classic. Follows the war movie formula. Probably gave birth to it.

• Nov 28, 2016

Grunt's eye view of the pacific war. John Wayne is terrific as the tough sergeant whipping the new squad into shape. The film is solid until the last couple of minutes where the sentiment gets a little over the top. Real WW2 footage is spliced in to impressive effect.

• Nov 06, 2016

Having been in war, this is the real deal. Superb.

Having been in war, this is the real deal. Superb.