Saw IV - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saw IV Reviews

October 15, 2017
So the main game was to teach a guy not to save people by not going through doors? What
½ October 10, 2017
Disappointing entry into the franchise that tries to show where the series will go now that Jigsaw is dead, but is hampered by too many twists & a disjointed narrative. The lack of Tobin Bell is felt, though he does manage to steal the opening scene with just his voice & being a dead body. However, there is no actor ready to pick up his slack and, for that matter, the Jigsaw mantle. Behind the camera, Darren Lynn Bousman crafts another twisty thriller but one to reliant too on previous films (you literally have to watch Saw III to understand what is going on), thus the film doesn't stand on its on. There are some pretty gruesome traps , as usual, and the film does get into Jigsaw's origins (we get to see his first victim & trap). For Saw fans, a must watch but as a stand alone horror film, just doesn't hold up.
½ September 27, 2017
Saw IV marks the third and final entry in the franchise to be directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, it is also my favourite film in the franchise aside from the original masterpiece. Following the deaths of John Kramer (Tobin Bell) and his accomplice Amanda Young (Shawnee Smith), Lieutenant Daniel Rigg (Lyriq Bent) is put through a series of tests whilst Agents Peter Strahm (Scott Patterson) and Lindsay Perez (Athena Karkanis) join Detective Mark Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) in investigating the remnants of Jigsaw's latest game. There are many reasons why this is the one that stands out above the many other Saw films for me; it delivers on the terrifying and gruesome traps you expect to see, develops the mystery further, introduces some great (relatively) new characters, and executes two of the biggest twists in the franchise in an epic finale.

Lets go into the main players in this instalment and the performances behind their characters. After spending Saw II and III relatively on the sidelines we see Lt. Rigg finally take the spotlight and be the one we follow through a series of brutal and gruesome tests. This works very well for the film as it gives you a character to care about that it doesn't need to spend time setting up beforehand. This is also the first film where Detective Hoffman is a prominent figure and here he is just such a great intriguing and fascinating character to watch. He has a key part in the story within the Saw franchise and his setup here is done so in a very well executed manner. Costas Mandylor plays the role incredibly with some creepy undertones that has the character stand out really well. Scott Patterson makes his debut as Agent Strahm and his character is a breath of intelligent (sort of) fresh air for the franchise.

After a very brief cameo in Saw III, Betsy Russell makes her debut as John Kramer's ex, Jill Tuck. Personally, I like the character, she serves her purpose in the story well and is believable enough to fit in with the rest of the movie. Some of her line delivery can be a little off but at this point that isn't what ur looking for in a Saw film. One thing you should be very used to by now are the presence of flashbacks and they are used extensively here once again. These scenes predominantly focus on John Kramer's past, where we get to see his relationship with Jill and get introduced to a character named Cecil (Billy Otis) and his importance to this story. I love the flashbacks, they can get confusing sometimes if you aren't paying full attention but the amount of insight into past and present events is well worth it. One of the very odd choices Bousman made in the editing of these flashbacks is to blend the flashback scene with the following modern day scene with 'smooth' scene transitions. It's jarring as fuck when Bousman blows his load, executing this transition like 30 times and it's the only real downside to this movie.

So in the end, at this point in the franchise you know what you want out of these films, whether it be story, blood, or gore it has it all. The way the story develops within this film and how it all ties up very nicely in the end I absolutely love and the payoff is fucking great. The traps are here, the blood is there, the gruesome and disturbing traps are present and this is the high point of the franchise (beyond the first film)..... and you know what that means: it's all downhill from here.

9.4/10
½ September 23, 2017
i think the main problem is the character agent strahm. sure the acting is good but his to smart and fells like he was the one who came up with the game. well the gore and story is entertaining its an OK movie.
½ September 12, 2017
This is what happens when a franchise loses its way: the original was a moderately clever rip-off of David Fincher's Seven. In this desperately confused and over-edited chapter the games playing has become tedious, not least because Jigsaw is dead and the makers have decided to chuck everything at the screen - viscera, body parts, you name it - in stead of sorting out a decent script.
½ September 2, 2017
Enough's enough... Tobin Bell's Jigsaw is dead and with that the series needs to stop...
August 23, 2017
Saw IV is convoluted but intense, gory, and creative.
½ August 12, 2017
It's just nonsensical garbage trying to trying to retcon with the original movies. God forbid they actually try to create a unique chapter, rather than just replay the first three films again.
June 10, 2017
6/6/2017 (2): A pretty decent sequel. What I expected from a Saw film.
May 17, 2017
I'm Going To Make Over The Top Violent Splatter Films When Me And My Brother Jesse Will Grow Up.
½ March 27, 2017
It's better than Saw 2 and Saw 3. It's where the story picks up. sike
March 20, 2017
Not 'terrible', but not frightening either. I guess you have to be a sadist to find it 'enjoyable'. Apart from the new 'death traps', this is just a film about people getting tortured - so not at all different from the first three. Inevitable that Saw V will be made as more questions are raised by the twist ending.
½ March 18, 2017
If it weren't for the awesome plot twists and great writing i wouldnt even like these movies, i hope this one continues the trend
February 19, 2017
I had an ok time watching this film. It was as gory as it can get. What keeps me from giving this 4 stars is there is some confusion as to when the movie actually takes place, and you really have to pay attention to what's going on. If you haven't watched any of the previous 3, good luck.
½ January 18, 2017
See my review for the third.
December 20, 2016
Guts, gore and remorseless violence
November 13, 2016
2/5. Saw 4 has some fun twists and traps, but too much of the movie is incoherent.
½ October 31, 2016
Though the cop's motivations and the themed kills are intriguing, the twist ending underwhelms and the series can't help but series thrills can't help but feel repeated and cheap at this point.
½ October 29, 2016
Back to the basics of 90 minute flicks, Saw 4 leads right off with Jigsaws legacy and on to the next one story plot. Who carries on the work of John Kramer and who gets to play his game. More twists and turns, more gore. Another fun watch.
October 25, 2016
I think the casting of the woman who played Jigsaws wife, was mostly for the male audiences penises! It only becomes less interesting from there!