Saw II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

F: 30%
R: 70%
Horror 50% Mystery 50%
October 20, 2016
Saw II is a gore movie, the type of film that passes itself off as horror without having a sustained or original sense of the genre.
October 2, 2016
Better than sequels Scream 2, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, The Empire Strikes Back, and as good as sequels Terminator 2 and The Godfather Part II, Saw II is a very fascinating example of a sequel.

I'm not a Saw franchise fan, having basically departed the series after the fourth film, the degree of gore just becoming too much; however, both the original James Wan classic and the immediate sequel are films I have always respected, and enjoyed. Darren Bousman's film is actually the superior of the two, lacking the potential boredom and dullness of the first. Note I say potential, because Saw is still a great film, having done more for the horror genre than Wes Craven's iconic Scream (I would also posit that Saw and Saw II are superior to any of the Elm Street films).

To get to specifics, about why I think Saw II is an incredible work of art, the visual spectrum of the film is all of attractive, appropriate and memorable. The lighting of dark mixed with intense vibrancy has stood the test of time, being more appealing and soothing than most of todays Marvel Studios films. The house Jigsaw uses and the derelict warehouse he faces off against Detective Matthews in are both symmetrical yet opposites - one is light and the other is dark, and the showing of either is structured, aimed to fulfil the human psyche.
Relative to its own series, the element of interest with Saw II, both with respect to visuals and story, is its difference due to similarity: Saw II is the same as the later sequels, yet is far superior for that precise reason. The house occupants, lead by Shawnee Smith's Amanda, feel like a much more meaningful set of characters than those of later Saw films, essentially able to inspire the relevant ideas of reality in the viewer's mind. Human compassion. Lifestyle difference. Cultural clash.

Franky G, Emmanuelle Vaugier, and Glenn Plummer are amongst a house of people who represent the truth of exact identity; who is a person, relative to other people?
Juxtaposing the events of the house, Eric Matthews needs Jigsaw too. His race against time to save his son is executed brilliantly, the momentum as good as momentum's portrayal in so many other films known to be classics.
The dialogue and character interactions make the film, but they do more: they represent greatness outside the arena of filmmaking, able to comfort the viewer irrespective of time and circumstance.
Donnie Wahlberg is probably the best protagonist of the Saw series, his own interactions with Dina Meyer's Allison Kerry (another great character of the franchise) are a cool example of life's condition - seriously, even after ten years the conversations between Kerry and Matthews are more fulfilling to watch than any interactions in most superhero films, or contemporary action blockbusters.

Saw II is the distillation of sinister and intelligence; hope and hopelessness. It comes across as stylistic as all the other Saw entries, but is somehow just not one with the rest, distinctly balanced in the use of fantastic and normal.

Saw II is a true identity of classic cinema - twenty years from now, it'll have once again stood the test of time.
½ September 4, 2016
This is a good movie, not ass good as the first but still good story and nice twist.
½ August 12, 2016
Not as good as the 1st but like he says stick to the rules
August 8, 2016
it wasnt better than the 1st one!
½ July 25, 2016
Okay. Nowhere near as good as the first film.
½ July 11, 2016
A really well made sequel to an amazing thriller and the twist will leave you breathless!!!
June 30, 2016
This movie is violent, gory, and disturbing, but will always be a great horror movie to my collection. This movie is very thrilling and it brings a perfect amount of horror to satisfy an audience.
½ June 30, 2016
Not as good as the first but entertaining I worked out at the start who the Baddie was in this one
That was too easy

Plot it was ok
Not much drama in this one
Love how they used the first set from the first movie in this one

Worthwhile watching
½ June 25, 2016
Saw II is movie that is not bad film but not even close to good with its stupid decisions of characters such as placing both hands so they can both be trapped,cutting of back pieces of neck without even looking in a mirror,looking through a door so they can get their eye shot and its overuse of rage and how desperate the writer wants to show us the characters will do anything just cause their desperate cliche,Saw II loses almost all of its great premise and action of the first film
June 20, 2016
The beginning of an endless string of pointless sequels.
June 13, 2016
Saw II may not be as clever as its predecessor when it comes to direction, but it still provides the same tension, mistery, and the inventive traps that helped defined the original's status. A worthy sequel.
June 8, 2016
Was much better than the first one, way more going on and more twists. the ending wasn't as good as the first one though.
June 8, 2016
Now this shit is kak freaky lmimp but kwaai
May 30, 2016
One of the best horror sequels of all time
½ May 27, 2016
saw series are the best movies I've seen ever.. I'm not talking about the horror as I don't see it's scaring at all, I meant the story itself, the plot and the ending which make you see the movie in a different eye I can't stop repeating all the series again and again and again
May 24, 2016
The first film only had a low budget, and this up steps making the most of the concept. Tobin Bell (Who is perfect and was in the first film as "A body that comes alive twist scene in the end) comes back as John/Jigsaw but is now in it for most of the film. The traps are more brutal, shocking at times and bloody, the best for me being the painful looking Needle Trap. We get to understand John's ways. Introducing Donnie Wahlberg as Detective Eric Matthews (Great edition to the series) trying to find his son only to find he is part of Jigsaws games. The cast are great and another fantastic twist at the end. Well written by James Wan and Leigh Whannell, who both did the first Saw. The camera work and editing is once again brilliant and it's rare to get a great follow-up. This macabre follow-up to 2004's low-budget horror smash can't rival its predecessor's fiendish ingenuity. But it makes up for it with a deliciously devious plot and enough gory shocks for a dozen Halloweens. Great film and now a big fan. Horror sequels don't get any better than this.
½ May 5, 2016
Has the same realistic shaky camera work and grisly violent touch to it. Again, just like the first one, Saw 2 is full of little twists, gory torture, grisly atmosphere and very good performances for a modestly budgeted movie. In other words, it's reallly just as good as the first flick, and just as entertaining and bloody. And Bell is just really good in the role of Jigsaw. Definitly a sick movie. Recommended !!
April 30, 2016
Its ending lives up to the standards set by the original, but Saw II seemingly tries too hard to one-up its predecessor with more characters and traps; however, the story becomes more convoluted and its traps are so-so.