Serpico - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Serpico Reviews

½ October 28, 2018
Serpico is a solid movie which features a very important real-life story of an inspirational titular figure well acted by Al Pacino. It's also well shot and with memorable atmosphere to it. But the pacing is so slow and the runtime is too long that the movie ended up being quite uneven and never achieving the much needed immediacy in its tone.
½ October 20, 2018
Off the back of watching the truly excellent Dog Day Afternoon I finally got round to watching a true cinema classic. What a huge disappointment. Pacino is solid but overall its a sprawling mess of a story that leaps to many times from year to year.

It has not stood the test of time very well.
June 4, 2018
One of Pacino best preformances
May 19, 2018
Way to start out a movie with a bang. Right off the bat it's pretty intense. This is a raw movie. Sidney Lumet is brilliant when it comes to writing. And directing of course. Already from the start, you're interested. You're wanting to know more. What happened? Why did they shoot him? Who shot him?

The music is great. It really paints a picture and compliments whatever is on screen. Here's someone who is out to actually do good and not be a useless piece of shit like some cops. It's cool to see how he's unraveling how the police department actually works. Here's a cop who's understandable and has his head on right.

Fucking phenomenal acting, even from the smaller parts like the girl was getting raped. Good humor and a good amount of New York wit.

This movie rolls along so smoothly, that it's extremely easy to watch. That's supreme writing right there. I'm really digging Al Pacino's style in this movie, it's groovy. It must be hard trying to do good and be a humane person when your surrounded by schmucks and people who play dirty and do things for money, but Serpico, that's another story. He's got his head on right. It's pretty insane to see the situation he puts himself in.

It's amazing how the use of different camera angles can define a certain scene. A camera over the shoulder looking down, the camera obscurely showing something. Fucking fantastic movie! He chose Switzerland as the country to get away. No better country.
½ April 5, 2018
C-. This movie was slow and desperately needed to be trimmed down. A lot of these scenes were unnecessary or dragged on. What made it worse was how very important facts & details to the movie's plot were left unsaid, maybe only implied, or skipped over too quickly to understand/absorb. You can't do that in a crime movie. What a horribly paced movie.
March 3, 2018
it just gets dirtier..

Serpico

Focusing the whole feature i.e. of more than 2 hours only on a single character needs content and enough material to feed the audience which they easily provide with gripping screenplay to not let them wander off the screen even for a frame. Sidney Lemut still needs some better work on his execution and editing but that barely factors in here as the adaptation is way too smart and ahead of its time. Al Pacino is literally the heart of it; he beats fast and hard that helps it pumping and keeping the viewers alive for this glorious experience. Serpico breeds power, corruption, rage and politics on screen and successfully delivers it to the audience communicating through stellar performances like never before.
½ February 17, 2018
Addressing corruption in NYC nypd. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 1, 2018
Undeniable classic that surely inspired just about every detective film that followed, Serpico succeeds on masterful direction (it's Lumet, so no surprise there) and a great performance from Pacino; his annoying voice aside. What drags it down, in my opinion, is the length and the unlikability of the protagonist. I don't really understand why he treats the women in his life the way he does, and while the movie doesnt really excuse him for it, it still asks us to root for him.
June 8, 2017
How can al pacino play a bad role??
½ May 13, 2017
Overlong with some unnecessary scenes. It went downhill and got more boring as it went along. Not one of Al Pacino's better movies. (First and only viewing - 5/11/2017)
April 26, 2017
An awesome cop movie!
½ March 15, 2017
With an incredible central performance by Al Pacino as Serpico, this crime drama is elevated above what would of been a solid film to a great one. It is also has an enthralling plot filled with tension and paranoia, a well written script, great score and it looks great in the grimey and gritty New York that we have seen before in many a film from this period.
February 12, 2017
Legendary director Sidney Lumet pairing up with legendary actor Al Pacino automatically establishes grand expectations for the movie Serpico. Both manage to carry their weight in this true story about one man's crusade to expose widespread corruption within the NYPD, and yet in many ways the film lacks the sort of visceral impact that their future collaboration delivers in Dog Day Afternoon.

Parts of the movie feel campy, while the portrayal of corrupt cops could have been written with an emphasis towards subtly and nuance.

Perhaps this is just being nitpicky. But at a time when these two gentlemen were making other films such as The Godfather, Network, and the aforementioned Dog Day Afternoon, all of a sudden Serpico feels a bit more second-rate.
November 14, 2016
A brilliant film about the paranoia involved in doing the right thing
November 5, 2016
I totally agree with what a friend of mine wrote: more interesting for understanding the historical period than for the film in itself. And I also haven't appreciated that much.
½ October 3, 2016
This film is very good, but he needs to intervene more deeply in the main character so be aware of where you came all this courage and the Secretariat in this work next to the neglect of some of the roles of assistance is received and used to appear sporadically could benefit from dramatically .., Overall directed by Sidney Lumet it was distinctive and Pacino's performance was fantastic where he was able embodiment role was superbly deserve the Oscar nomination
½ September 2, 2016
Serpico is a very well made Sidney Lumet film, which brings the best out of Pacino and Lumet partnership. This one and Dogs Day Out are my favorite Al Pacino film (post Godfather) which you will recognize him as one of the best gems Hollywood can offer. He's really my favorite actor of all time no doubt about it. And Serpico proves he's the one. For a true story this is a very well made film with a very good writing. I felt bad for the guy being surrounded by narco politics, cops and their selfish agendas driven with corruption, it's just disgusting. This guy has a high morale standard for a supposed to be gold plated policeman. And yet all the gambles he does comes out for nothing. Sad story is, we still live by it. Corrupt officials every single day. Great character driven story. I felt bad for the character and I care, which is what I'm looking for a film. A great classic definitely a must have. Al Pacino's performance is outmatch in the 70s.
½ August 15, 2016
One scene shows a large dilapidated block in Brooklyn overlooking the twin towers. .. Epic.
July 30, 2016
8.1/10. 7-29-2016

Original review: circa 2009 (4/10). "The movie dragged on way too much and wasn't as interesting as I thought it could have been. I felt Pacino did all he could with his role, therefore my faults are with the direction. The story is good, but the storytelling isn't. Then again, I tend to feel this way with each of Sidney Lumet's films."
June 5, 2016
Struggle against corruption might be real yet in Serpico the struggle and frustration never feels real.