The Seven-Per-Cent Solution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution Reviews

½ October 4, 2015
Takes some time to catch it's stride but when it does it's a very entertaining "what if' movie.
September 6, 2015
I've seen many film incarnations of the world's greatest literary detective, and this version is terrific. Nicholas Meyer is the man behind that, writer of the underrated Time After Time, and the Star Trek Classics II, IV, and VI. In this film, Sherlock Holmes has a terrible cocaine addiction, and its up to Watson to trick his partner into going to Vienna to track Moriarty. Instead, its...Sigmund Freud? Yes! The world's greatest psychoanalyst will help Holmes kick his habit,and in turn Holmes will help Freud with the case of a kidnapped woman. The result is a hearty thrill filled action adventure film that culminates into one of the best train chases on film, perhaps even the best one. With splendid performances and musical score, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution is a sure fire winner.
February 7, 2015
In the early 70's Nicholas Meyer wrote a series of brilliant reimaginings of Sherlock Holmes. In 1976 Herbert Ross took on the first of those books. Nicole Williamson and Robert Duvall are wonderful as the detective and the good doctor, and Alan Arkin's performance as Sigmund Freud is nothing short of top drawer. While extremely entertaining the film was a modest success at the box office at best. It's still very highly recommended.
October 14, 2014
A fun slice of fictitious history, Meyer's Holmes tale is a fun and surprisingly smart ride. The combination of two geniuses like Holmes and Freed actually lead to some interesting scenarios, supported by the rapport between a subdued Arkin and a maverick Williamson.
½ March 12, 2014
Good film based on the best selling novel and a must see for Holmes fans.
½ March 4, 2014
A somewhat tongue-in-cheek Sherlock Holmes story not written by Conan Doyle. It's visually very well done but lacks the suspense of classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Entertaining as long as you don't take it seriously.
½ October 1, 2013
The production design by Ken Adam, who worked on many of the Bond films, brings much of Victorian England and Vienna to life. Nicholas Meyer's story is directed by Herbert Ross. This time Meyer has Sherlock Holmes meet Sigmund Freud. Williamson plays a manic Holmes, who has a serious addiction to cocaine. His paranoia of Professor Moriarty (Laurence Olivier in a cameo) being a master criminal at the heart of all of London's crime, is simply part of a deeper psychological issue. Duvall plays Holmes' sober and caring friend Dr. Watson, who plans a scheme with Mycroft to get Holmes to Vienna where Freud can help him. Arkin plays Dr. Sigmund Freud. Often pop culture portrays a stereotypical Freud, who is obsessed with sexual symbols and wildly misinterprets dreams, but this version of Freud has more in common with Holmes and his scientific method. The effects of addiction and withdrawal are more honestly dealt with, and since Meyer is a big fan of Conan Doyle, the movie references several plot points from the original mysteries. Moriarty is dealt with in a completely unique way. And Jeremy Kemp plays a villainous Baron out to discredit Freud and escape Holmes. There is a fairly exciting train chase. Though the historical details all looks quite proper, its delivery is a bit tongue-in-cheek.
June 12, 2013
Top cast, but it runs out of steam in the second half and drags it's feet for the rest of the film.
April 24, 2013
The essence of Steampunk! This film features not only Robert Duvall and Sir Lawrence Olivier but also Alan Arkin as Sigmund Freud. The intricate whodunit plot was concocted by Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II, VI) based on his novel.
½ February 8, 2013
I remember reading a fragment of this recently for my class of CISO, since it was mention in the book (it's about the nature in humanity, psychological & physically), and the prof. send us a link to watch this movie. When I knew it was about Sherlock and a new (well old) point of view of why he is like he is, I wanted to know even more! It's interesting because in this new perspective (old really) we get to see the professor Moriarty say to Watson that Sherlock is crazy but when we know the why he acts like he does, it's just amazing! I still deny is all in Holmes head but oh well, who is not crazy this days? All of us (even if we deny it, but this case is different and I won't spoil it...ok...it's about leaving the dr** a**ict**n).

I even recommend it to those who read all of Sir Conan Doyle stories (this movie must be seen with open eyes and mind obviously and if you read the story called "The Final Problem", it will help a lot when you watch this film). So to end this review, 3 & a half stars of 5. It's quite slow (yes, the movie is old, still interesting). Oh well, enjoy and AU REVOIR MES AMIS! Have fun my dear Watson! - February 8, 2013.
December 17, 2012
Rather insulting attempt to involve an "alternate storyline" into Sherlock Holmes' life. Should not have been published.
October 16, 2012
SHERLOCK HOLMES ATTAQUE L'ORIENT-EXPRESS en vf. Sherlock Holmes et Sigmund Freud dans un même film? Une association plutôt bien vue même si le rythme est mal dosé. Mais une petite surprise sympathique quand même...
May 31, 2012
Interesting script, lovely settings, great use of a fictionalised Sigmund Freud. A film perhaps mainly hampered by Robert Duvall's dreadful English accent as Watson ("mey gawd friieend, Misterh Shuhrlock Hyohmes") and possibly Nicol Williamson's bizarre machine-gun delivery of his lines - although both are frankly so hilarious that it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film in the slightest...
May 29, 2012
Imaginative variation on the Holmes legend--Holmes like you've never seen him, and should have!!
½ April 17, 2012
Interesting take on Sherlock Holmes - maybe not for purists but very entertaining. I loved the inclusion of Toby the blood hound - a very underrated character in the Holmes-Verse. I adore both Robert Duvall and Alan Arkin so I really enjoyed this. Not traditional Holmes but clever and amusing.
April 14, 2012
In The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, Dr John Watson (Robert Duvall) has begun to fear for Sherlock Holmes's sanity (Nicol Williamson) after he begins a campaign of victimisation against his old Maths tutor, Professor James Moriarty (Laurence Olivier). With the help of Mycroft Holmes, Watson manages to get Holmes to journery to Vienna, where he is committed into the care of Sigmund Freud (Alan Arkin).

If you hadn't already guess, this film is so far removed from canon that it makes the Asylum Sherlock Holmes appear to be by the very hand of Conan-Doyle.

The main problem with The Seven-Per-Cent Solution is that it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. The opening premise that it will pull back the curtain on why Holmes really disappeared for three years after The Final Problem is probably only of interest to Sherlockians. Not that there's anything wrong with a bit of niche marketing, but then where does that leave the general public. Well, the movie seems to answer by going 'Sssh! Here comes a chase scene involving two trains, it'll be really exciting, we promise'. But it's not, it just feels tacked on. In fact the whole things feels like it's two movies spliced together. One, the dark machinations of a drug addled mind and the paranoia that comes with. The other, a bawdy romp.

Aside from the wafer thin script, the main problem appears to be the cast. Robert Duvall doesn't really know how to play Watson. One minute stuffy and the other, stuff and nonsense. Laurence Oliver is wasted as the sought after Moriarty. His scenes adding up to nothing more than simpering and crying 'that's not fair'. Alan Arkin must have only flicked through the first half of the script, because whilst his eventual face off with Holmes is the stuff of a Victorian literature fan's wet dream, Freud is eventually boiled down to nothing more than Dr Exposition. Arkin is a brave man when he manages to say 'They're not just horses! They're the most intelligent horses in the world... AND THEY'VE BEEN TRAINED TO KILL' with a completely straight face. The only person who comes out with any credibility is Nicol Williamson who manages to bring life to Holmes despite spending most his time either with the DTs or fainting at inopportune moments.

Overall, it's all a bit of a mess with a final twist that just seems completely unnecessary. Maybe one to watch when all other possibilities are exhausted.
December 26, 2011
Good, not great, Holmes yarn penned by screenwriter Nicholas Meyer (who eventually directed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan) which he adapted from his own novel. Holmes, Watson and Sigmund Freud (!) fight crime (and Holmes' cocaine addiction) in Austria. The mystery plays second fiddle (pun intended) to Holmes' DT's as Watson recounts the events of "The Great Hiatus". When I first saw the cast, I was hoping for the ultimate psychological battle of wills with Holmes and Freud on one side, and Sir Laurence Olivier's Moriarty on the other. Alas, it was not to be. Spoiler altert: Moriarty is just a red herring. Too bad...Sir Larry would have been an awesome baddie. Oh, and Holmes breaks a cardinal rule of battle: If you bring a gun to a sword fight...use the gun. Just ask Indiana Jones.
July 26, 2011
Sherlock Holmes teaming up with Sigmund Freud. What's not to like?
June 8, 2011
"Sherlock Holmes attaque l'Orient-Express"
April 25, 2011
Great fun! great cast! Great Sondheim song...