S.F.W. Reviews

• Jan 13, 2020

Awesome if you got a lot out of "Clerks", "Alpha Dog" or "The Hunger Games". I think the version on Stan in Australia is a different cut from the version summarised on the Wikipedia page, and the version some of these reviewers saw. There was no alien in this version except as a rumour. This version cuts back and forth between past and present with dramatic flashbacks. I really enjoyed the cut I saw, couldn't look away. A lot of the film relies on the charisma of Stephen Dorff, but if you're here for Reese Witherspoon you won't be disappointed. It's a very particular blend of angry, apathy, 90s grunge culture, meaning, meaninglessness and black comedy. It's at once a scathing satire of the media and a truthful, poignant portrait of trauma. There's a lot to be learned from this film. In the end, the audiences prove to be just as captive as the hostages were. They adore who the media tells them to adore, no matter how flawed a role model they may be. Would definitely watch again in five years to see how my perspective has changed. For the clearly small budget, I think it's great.

• Jul 11, 2019

One of the best movies ever. Think about it. Way ahead of 1994...

One of the best movies ever. Think about it. Way ahead of 1994...

• Mar 12, 2018

utter drivel; a total bore .... a snooze-fest. i rate it "f", like the middle letter of its title.

• Sep 20, 2017

Mid 90's Generation X at it's grungiest. Goes well with Clerks and Love and a .45...

• Apr 13, 2016

5 stars for being so prophetic

5 stars for being so prophetic

• Mar 02, 2016

I gave this another look as part of my experiment to revisit the '90s and I have to say that I was not impressed, because for every Singles, we got something like this, which just felt filled with posturing but no real soul or heart. Rental at best. Hell, you might wanna skip it.

• Feb 20, 2015

A very misunderstood film from the mid-90's. Definitely a social commentary & a repudiation of the entire media in the US. As a Writer of 2 political thrillers; I always wanted to read the book & probably will someday. The Spab character played by Dorff is made into a cultural icon by the media & essentially exploited for profit by the same people. His disillusionment with society is apparent in the film. The view that he propagates in the film: That nothing really matters. Gets you to think that man places value on things that don't really matter. Or does everything matter? It depends on your perspective; I suppose. Lots of good performances here. I liked to recommend obscure films like this, because they are worth seeing & nobody has heard of them. This movie was way ahead of its time. A must see.

• Jul 20, 2014

People who hate this movie should die. This is my favorite movie of all time, hands down. It's funny, it's smart, it's entertaining, and the best satire I have seen of Fame. If you do not love this movie then you should know I hate the shifty movies you like such as The Hangover and the Twilight series. Almost every review I have seen for this movie is negative; know your place bitches, this is the film you just can't fuck with.

• Aug 25, 2012

A pathetic excuse for a movie. Actually, a film that was made simply to say the f word as many times as possible can't be considered a film.

• Jul 04, 2012

Held captive for 36 days by terrorists who broadcast their ordeal live on network news, Cliff (Stephen Dorff) and Wendy (Reese Witherspoon) have become national idols whose words are parroted by the masses. But when they finally escape, only to be hounded by reporters and sold out by "friends", TV's most popular hostages realize they're still prisoners-this time, of the media-and the only place left to run...is to each other. also stars Jake Busey, Joey Lauren Adams, David Barry Gray, Pam Gidley, Jack Noseworthy, Richard Portnow and Ed Wiley. directed by Jefrey Levy.