Shadow of the Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadow of the Vampire Reviews

July 29, 2016
1931's Dracula Is One Of My Favorite Films.
February 20, 2016
What a fun romp through the lands of movie nerdery, hammy acting, and slightly cheesy explorations of artistic obsession.
February 5, 2016
This is a dark comedy about the making of one of the greatest horror films of all time, Nosferatu. It is a compliment to see when a film is so great that another can be made about it.

This is excellently acted. However, the comedy in this is intriguing, but not enough to carry a film. Nosferatu is truly a legendary movie, and one of my favourites, so I was familiar with many of the scenes. I doubt Nosferatu newbies would appreciate this film as much. I really liked the ending, with John Malkovich as a manic F.W. Murnau driven for the perfect shot. After all, Murnau must have been possessed to achieve such a masterpiece.
January 25, 2016
Interesting premise and great performance from the green goblin but I just didn't like the slow pace.
½ January 1, 2016
I saw this when it first came out, but I wanted to re-watch it as I watched both versions of "Nosferatu" in the last year and i wanted to see how this held-up. I love the premise, it features Willem Dafoe as Max Shreck who is actually a real vampire in this, pretending to play an actor playing a vampire. The crew start to go missing, and everyone notices how convincing Shreck is. Malkovich is great as director F.W. Murnau and Dafoe is perfect. It is not a perfect film, but has a great premise and a good dark sense of humour. Definitely worth watching for fans of the old silent horror films!
½ November 22, 2015
What a find! Saw it on Chiller! All the actors are superb, especially the impersonation of Max Shreck. A must for any vampire cultist!
November 22, 2015
Quite an unusual film. I wasn't quite sure what I was watching at first but soon got the jist. If you haven't seen one of the Nosferatu films first, then I advise that you do before watching this. Willem Defoe as Nosferatu / Schreck was an interesting decision but it worked out well.
October 28, 2015
Rather brilliant treatment around the making of Nosferatu. Somehow captures the magic that the original film conveys in a rather eerie way.
October 17, 2015
A curious companion piece to F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, it does make for an interesting double-bill. Defoe and Malkovich are clearly enjoying themselves in the Schreck/Murnau roles.
½ September 25, 2015
wonderful and ridiculous. almost a parody. but it has great acting and an interesting story
½ July 31, 2015
A really dark and twisted by oddly fun movie about the making of a horror classic. I'm not too familiar with the movie Nosferatu (this movie has peaked my interest) but if this is really the true story about how that film was made, wow. John Malkovich is one of our greatest actors and he is excellent as the director within the movie. Willem DaFoe rightfully was nominated for an Oscar and other awards for this magnificent, juicy, and creepy performance as the count himself. Great supporting work from Eddie Izzard and Cary Elwes as well. It has wonderful costumes, make up, directing, writing, score, cinematography, and art direction/production design. Definitely one of the best movies about the making of a movie I've seen
½ June 10, 2015
Sporadicly funny,moody and entertaining but just as boring.
March 31, 2015
Shadow of the Vampire is a great idea to do the making of Nosferatu while making it its own creepy movie. John Malkovick is great in it, but Willem Dafoe is absolutely amazing in this. He plays the character very well and I didn't even knew it was him at first. The make-up of Max Schreck looks amazing and just looks like Count Orlok. It's very interesting, and it's quite funny at times. It got creepy at times until at the end when it's downright disturbing. The atmosphere is good, and it's a bit suspenseful at times of whether or not Max is going to attack the crew. Shadow of the Vampire may not be my favorite horror movie, heck I probably wouldn't even call this a horror film at all, but it's a compelling movie that makes you even wonder if Murnau would even finish his film, even though this is a fictionalized version of the making of Nosferatu.
March 29, 2015
The idea is really original and Dafoe delivers a spectacular performance under that fantastic makeup (the scene of the Count devouring the bat is hysterical); it is just a pity, though, that the weak script has such a redundant dialogue and Merhige's direction has some misfires.
March 3, 2015
A great film to watch if you have ever seen Nosferatu. The atmosphere was thick, the performances were wonderfully over the top. And the last act was so, strange, I think in a good way.

I enjoyed it immensely, and I thought the story about the making of the horror classic was clever.
½ February 28, 2015
Ridiculous and crazy! Boring and slow with the storyline that a 5 year created. Made no sense.
January 23, 2015
Brilliant performance by Willem Dafoe and Malkovich, engaging story, Nosferatu world brought back to life and in technicolor :P
January 15, 2015
It has some problems; Merhige struggles to build much tension in the first half and has no idea what to do with Dafoe's purely comedic performance, but he has a strong visual sense and a beautiful editing rhythm, so I wasn't especially bothered. It gets better as it goes along and the ending is marvellous. The conceptual layers of what Dafoe is playing rival that of Downey in Tropic Thunder.
½ December 17, 2014
Very thought provoking and insightful film. I loved it, even if it did seem to drag on a bit.
December 14, 2014
This movie is more interested in capturing a moment in history as opposed to telling a compelling story. The first half, for instance, seems almost entirely without conflict, it's only when Max shows up that we get some sort of drama. However even that drama is half baked in that we never really get a chance to know the damsel in distress here and thus the whole thing feels undercooked. The final just takes things in a completely bizarre direction that totally is beyond comprehension. There's a good idea here but it's ruined by various factors: Avoid.