Shadow of the Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadow of the Vampire Reviews

½ September 16, 2017
Shadow of The Vampire has the production value and Willem Dafoe, but falls short due to inaccuracy and John Malkovich's over-the-top performance
September 8, 2017
Funny, scary and always with a twist around the corner.
½ May 17, 2017
Willem Dafoe and John Malkavich in a horror film that wonders aloud if true horror is actually working with "committed artists". Very nearly a classic, while certainly a homage to one of horror's earliest masterpieces, the fun is less in the scares than in watching the cast emerge themselves in method acting.
½ March 27, 2017
This was something I wanted to revisit on the occasion of finally watching the other versions of Nosferatu back to back, and I have to say, it holds up really well. There's some really amusing bits of gallows humor in there, and Willem Dafoe is creepy as hell as the lead.

Well worth a look if you're a fan of horror history in particular.
March 19, 2017
Horror junkies and movie fans alike should find something‚< to love in this inventive, albeit fictional, look behind the scenes of Nosferatu.
July 29, 2016
1931's Dracula Is One Of My Favorite Films.
February 20, 2016
What a fun romp through the lands of movie nerdery, hammy acting, and slightly cheesy explorations of artistic obsession.
February 5, 2016
This is a dark comedy about the making of one of the greatest horror films of all time, Nosferatu. It is a compliment to see when a film is so great that another can be made about it.

This is excellently acted. However, the comedy in this is intriguing, but not enough to carry a film. Nosferatu is truly a legendary movie, and one of my favourites, so I was familiar with many of the scenes. I doubt Nosferatu newbies would appreciate this film as much. I really liked the ending, with John Malkovich as a manic F.W. Murnau driven for the perfect shot. After all, Murnau must have been possessed to achieve such a masterpiece.
January 25, 2016
Interesting premise and great performance from the green goblin but I just didn't like the slow pace.
½ January 1, 2016
I saw this when it first came out, but I wanted to re-watch it as I watched both versions of "Nosferatu" in the last year and i wanted to see how this held-up. I love the premise, it features Willem Dafoe as Max Shreck who is actually a real vampire in this, pretending to play an actor playing a vampire. The crew start to go missing, and everyone notices how convincing Shreck is. Malkovich is great as director F.W. Murnau and Dafoe is perfect. It is not a perfect film, but has a great premise and a good dark sense of humour. Definitely worth watching for fans of the old silent horror films!
½ November 22, 2015
What a find! Saw it on Chiller! All the actors are superb, especially the impersonation of Max Shreck. A must for any vampire cultist!
November 22, 2015
Quite an unusual film. I wasn't quite sure what I was watching at first but soon got the jist. If you haven't seen one of the Nosferatu films first, then I advise that you do before watching this. Willem Defoe as Nosferatu / Schreck was an interesting decision but it worked out well.
October 28, 2015
Rather brilliant treatment around the making of Nosferatu. Somehow captures the magic that the original film conveys in a rather eerie way.
October 17, 2015
A curious companion piece to F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, it does make for an interesting double-bill. Defoe and Malkovich are clearly enjoying themselves in the Schreck/Murnau roles.
½ September 25, 2015
wonderful and ridiculous. almost a parody. but it has great acting and an interesting story
½ July 31, 2015
A really dark and twisted by oddly fun movie about the making of a horror classic. I'm not too familiar with the movie Nosferatu (this movie has peaked my interest) but if this is really the true story about how that film was made, wow. John Malkovich is one of our greatest actors and he is excellent as the director within the movie. Willem DaFoe rightfully was nominated for an Oscar and other awards for this magnificent, juicy, and creepy performance as the count himself. Great supporting work from Eddie Izzard and Cary Elwes as well. It has wonderful costumes, make up, directing, writing, score, cinematography, and art direction/production design. Definitely one of the best movies about the making of a movie I've seen
½ June 10, 2015
Sporadicly funny,moody and entertaining but just as boring.
March 31, 2015
Shadow of the Vampire is a great idea to do the making of Nosferatu while making it its own creepy movie. John Malkovick is great in it, but Willem Dafoe is absolutely amazing in this. He plays the character very well and I didn't even knew it was him at first. The make-up of Max Schreck looks amazing and just looks like Count Orlok. It's very interesting, and it's quite funny at times. It got creepy at times until at the end when it's downright disturbing. The atmosphere is good, and it's a bit suspenseful at times of whether or not Max is going to attack the crew. Shadow of the Vampire may not be my favorite horror movie, heck I probably wouldn't even call this a horror film at all, but it's a compelling movie that makes you even wonder if Murnau would even finish his film, even though this is a fictionalized version of the making of Nosferatu.
March 29, 2015
The idea is really original and Dafoe delivers a spectacular performance under that fantastic makeup (the scene of the Count devouring the bat is hysterical); it is just a pity, though, that the weak script has such a redundant dialogue and Merhige's direction has some misfires.
March 3, 2015
A great film to watch if you have ever seen Nosferatu. The atmosphere was thick, the performances were wonderfully over the top. And the last act was so, strange, I think in a good way.

I enjoyed it immensely, and I thought the story about the making of the horror classic was clever.