Shadow of the Vampire Reviews

• Aug 13, 2020

one of my top picks in this genre. while the vampire scores a good number of kills, the film never turns into a gorgasbord. dafoe was excellent as the cunning killer, and watching him emerge from the shadows was chilling. great atmosphere and unusual story kept my interest up all the way.

• Jul 02, 2020

Not exactly my taste but surprisingly well acted given the material.

Not exactly my taste but surprisingly well acted given the material.

• Jun 02, 2020

Interesting concept and a superb W.D., but the movie doesn't thrill, scare, or entertain enough.

• May 08, 2020

Shadow of the Vampire is an appealing fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu - one that grants an unforgettable performance from Willem Dafoe as the Count Dracula's surrogate.

• Feb 25, 2020

Clearly made with a reverence for its subject matter, Shadow of the Empire would have fallen into complete ridiculousness if not for a dedicated performance from Dafoe. (3.5/5)

• Nov 13, 2019

Great performance by Willem Dafoe. Plot was simply too slow and there is not enough significance of other characters in the film such as Greta.

• Nov 03, 2019

Eerie and spooky. Atmospheric to a fault almost as much as the original Nosferatu. The background noises of the castle and the wind makes for a psychologically and auditory intense experience. Willem Dafoe is both funny and memorable in this movie. Some of the acting is lackluster from some of the other actors but it seems like it might have been done intentionally. Surprisingly funny at times. What's crazy is that you think Max (Nosferatu) is the crazy one when really it was Murnau, the director, who was obsessed to the point that he was willing to put other peoples lives in jeopardy. Really great acting from Malkovich and Dafoe. Pretty remarkable movie that gives the viewer another point of view of what might have happened behind the scenes of filming one of the creepiest movies.

• Oct 27, 2019

Very good performances by malkovich and defoe a truly creepy and unsettling movie

• Oct 13, 2019

I didn't find this funny, scary, or compelling at all. I thought Willem Dafoe overacted the entire time. I fucking hated this. A really boring piece of shit. The thing that annoys me the most, is that the concept is pretty fucking cool, but I hated this. Good concept, shit execution.

• Oct 11, 2019

Best vampire movie ever with knockout performances by Willem Dafoe and John Malkovich. Fantastic makeup job to create the undead who just wants to be in a movie with a side order of human treats.