Shaolin Soccer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Soccer Reviews

February 13, 2019
I have watched my fair share of Stephen Chow movies, but I will never forget the fun and joy that comes with the oddness and craziness of Shaolin Soccer. Fun, dumb, and easily rewatchable, it's hard not to enjoy yourself.

Following a down on his luck ex-soccer star who was paid off to lose a major match and then betrayed by the man who paid him. This man was Golden Leg, he even had it tattooed on his stomach. Now, as a lost and broken man, Golden Leg finds a new lot in life after meeting a homeless master of Kung fu whose specialty is The Steel Leg technique. Steel Leg has been trying to find a way to bring kung fu the masses in some appealing way. After, a few failed attempts at other kung fu ventures, Steel Leg and his other down on their luck kung fu masters try their luck at soccer coached by Golden Leg...I've written leg a lot today. Now, can the Shaolin soccer team dethrone the evil that is Team Evil, and win soccer and kung fu glory?

What you need to know about this movie is that it has a goofy style to it, like a lot, if not all of Stephen Chow's work. But there is also a sincerity to it that you can't help but support. Also while the overarching plot is not new to the sports genre or the martial arts genre either, this movie still seems like a breath of fresh air for both of them. Playing off the regular cliches and using them as joke points just to add to the exaggeration. When they finally get into the tournament itself, the physical sports comedy just escalates until finally against the unstoppable Team Evil, the movie plays out like an episode of Dragon Ball Z...well maybe multiple episodes of DBZ. Tai Chi and Kung Fu are used to create whirlwinds, fire dragons, and spectacular feats of crazy in a weird and fun wacky finale.

If you can't tell I do like this film a lot. I also do think that it may not be for everyone. If you are a bit more serious about your martial arts, and sports films, then you may not like this one as much. But still, it comes highly recommended by me.
January 7, 2019
It is a fun fantasy kung fu flick with a twist.
½ December 30, 2018
As stupid as any film I have seen, but this is its strength as it just doesn't care.
November 27, 2018
Years removed from his heyday, a disgraced former soccer star recruits a squad of mystically powerful kung fu masters to bend the rules and dominate the game in his stead. Or, perhaps, it's the masters who have recruited him to lend their dispirited old crew a unified sense of direction. Either way, the fruits of their partnership are awfully juicy.

Starring Stephen Chow, whose zany, effects-reliant fighting style would later make Kung Fu Hustle such an unexpected delight, it's a film that insists you flip the switch on your brain for a while and just enjoy the inanity of the moment. The action scenes make no effort to hide the wires or mask the CG, which looks silly but also erases any concern about anchoring them to reality. Freed from those constraints, the sky's the limit for this creative production. It takes every opportunity to one-up previous shots with a flair for the eccentric, culminating in a recklessly destructive, cartoon-violent final match against an equally powerful outfit of genetically engineered soccer stars.

Whenever it tries to go straight and actually focus on storytelling, Shaolin Soccer is a total disaster. Every stereotype about a hurried, inept overseas production rolled into one. Fortunately, we don't wait long between slices of the real sizzle - those absurdly silly effect shots - and the film's wacky, genuine sense of humor helps to balance out the rest. Stupid, stupid fun.
½ November 21, 2018
Very good movie, the plot is hilarious. I would give it a 5 star if there were better effects on the moves
½ September 3, 2018
Galactic football. But with kung fu masters.
July 17, 2018
Very broad, spirited comedy not to my taste.
June 12, 2018
A martial arts-comedy film. Great movie.
½ March 13, 2018
D-. Another one of BJ's stupid childhood comedy movies. Wish I never watched it. Boring to me, crude humor I found really inappropriate at times, but made me chuckle a couple times (when I was paying attention).
½ January 26, 2018
Possibly the greatest movie ever made
½ December 10, 2017
Not bad, but nowhere near as good as Kung Fu Hustle. Not all that funny, but mildly entertaining in parts.
November 28, 2017
6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 = 67
September 1, 2017
One of the best comedies that I've ever seen!!
½ July 10, 2017
A bit overrated tbh.
May 21, 2017
It is a wonderful movie, it not only about combine kungFu and soccer, but also talk about dream. If you are a Chinese, and you can speak Cantonese, you will feel a lot of funny in the process of watching this movie.
January 22, 2017
Saw this without English subtitles.
January 19, 2017
Love this movie, one of my favorite "guilty pleasure movies" though I use the term loosely, because I never feel guilty watching it
½ December 23, 2016
A hilarious goofy comedy that makes me laugh to tears from beginning to end, and it is so amazing the way it embraces kung fu action, Western movies tropes, cartoonish visual effects and a lot of delicious nonsense to create a unique martial arts movie.
½ December 16, 2016
I would rathe take a shot off cancer and aids than watch this movie just pull my eyes out.
November 29, 2016