Shaolin Soccer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Soccer Reviews

½ September 30, 2016
Hilarious. Laugh out loud funny throughout. Only thing I can't stand is that it's one of those movies in that weird period where they thought CGI was good, but it looked AWFUL. Some of the music throughout seemed like a cringe-y level of synthesized. If you liked Kung Fu Hustle, easy to love this one too
August 26, 2016
Shaolin Soccer is undeniably stupid, but the stupidity is so enjoyable and lovable, it makes the whole experience into one unforgettable kick.
August 3, 2016
Shaolin Soccer is a zany, hilarious, and unique kung fu sports movie. It reminded me a lot of Dodgeball (2004) with its large cast of misfits and underdogs competing in a tournament. This sets up new standards for over-the-top action/comedy with its craziness in the soccer matches. This movie is lot of fun, and I really liked the subtle homages to Michael Jackson, Bruce Lee, and vampires.
½ August 1, 2016
A hilarious goofy comedy that makes me laugh to tears from beginning to end, and what makes it so amazing is how it embraces all together kung fu action, Western movies tropes, cartoonish visual effects and delicious nonsense to create a unique martial arts movie.
June 7, 2016
This movie is so good till even the EA's FIFA 2002 soccer game have fireball special effect that reference from this movie. As a fanboy of Stephen Chow, I think this is the most entertaining movie of Stephen Chow since The God of Cookery.
May 31, 2016
Fun movie with off-the-walls humor. The laughs compensate for the thoroughly predictable narrative arc.
March 31, 2016
Completely outrageous. However, there's a courage here and you can't help but ask, when all is said and done, why aren't all films this much damn fun!?

Whilst not all of the jokes land (though some of this will be due to cultural gaps, I imagine), there's still a good bit to find funny with this one. More impressively though, there's just a lot of elements to this film that are cool!

Sure, this is adorably goofy but it's pretty serious when it comes to pulling that goofiness off- when large chunks of your film revolve around you convincing the audience that super-humans are playing football, you're probably not going to be able to pull it off (unless it's animated, of course). They pull it off here though- the school playground fantasies are realised here and, honestly, they're more impressive than most modern-day superhero action scenes.
½ March 29, 2016
i just lost 90 minutes of my life watching this movie for only 5 minutes of entertainment (my friend says 3)
March 17, 2016
Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer is a hilarious film that is really quite something that you will never see in a soccer movie. The acting is good, and the humor is really funny. The soccer playing is entertaining to watch and is just ridiculous to watch, you can't help but laugh in amusement. The plot is ridiculous also, but it fits in to the tone that the movie uses. The writing is good, and the chemistry is really great. The effects are really good, and definitely make the film more insane based in the intensity of playing soccer. Shaolin Soccer is a fantastic movie that it'll always be my favorite soccer movie.
March 12, 2016
Chow's comedic creativity knows no bounds. From a soccer field under attack, turned into a war movie sketch, to the gongfu moves on the soccer field where turf and clothes equally go flying--everything is so delightfully kua zhang (exaggerated). Enjoyed the cameos from Karen Mok and Cecilia Cheung, and Danny Chan Kwok-kwan's Bruce Lee impersonation. The only reason I'm not rating 5 stars is for the lower production value and some unconvincingly awkward chemistry between characters.
February 27, 2016
Otra de la grandes comedias de acción de Stephen Chow, que gustará mucho más a los que disfrutaban con Capitan Tsubasa/Supercampeones.
February 15, 2016
I agree with the critics, Chinese spaghetti kung fu at its best, lots of fun.
February 7, 2016
Selamat Tahun Baru Cina!
Jom layan Shaolin Soccer!
January 16, 2016
Shaolin Soccer follows the story of a group of brothers and a retired famous soccer player that are trying to bring down the evil head of the Japanese soccer league and win a million dollars. The outcast brother, Sing, has a powerful leg that can make the most powerful cringe, but can it help them take down the many soccer teams in their way to get to the championship? This comedy is lead by famous comedic actor Stephen Chow who gives a solid performance as Sing. He gives light and brightness to the movie and I felt his charisma on screen. The acting as a whole was just... good. Not anything special or great, just fine. In a comedy like this, you don't really expect the best acting, but just to laugh at really cheesy moments and the slapstick. In fact that's pretty much all I cared about in the movie. The characters were likable but kinda forgettable; I can't remember most of the casts' names besides Golden Leg and Sing. I cared for those two characters simply because they were the only characters that had a background and portrayed a likable character. Nothing against the rest of the cast, but again they were just kinda forgettable. The story was really just a by the numbers sports movie. They have to achieve a goal and they do it with ease until the last battle. It plays out like a cliche sports movie with the whole buildup for the final battle, they're on top until the VERY end, there's a throwaway love story, and the main character is a rags to riches story. It's a creative premise, I'll give it that; and it did make me laugh more than a few times due to the cheesy dance scenes, bad special effects, and character antics. It's a fun movie for its comedy, but there's nothing special about Shaolin Soccer. It's a by the numbers, cheesy sports movie with some good laughs. C+
December 14, 2015
Best movie ever. Better than Shrek, 10/10 100%, must watch
½ November 2, 2015
Muy entretenida, como la mayoría de películas del señor Stephen Chow
½ October 24, 2015
A young soccer star misses a kick intentionally in the finals because he is paid off. Years later he finds his life in shambles and he is crippled. He comes across some Shaolin monks and realizes that their mastery of Kung-Fu might be the key to building a new soccer team. As all of the monks find no use for their skills and have awful modern jobs they agree and the chemistry begins. Shaolin Soccer was an enjoyable Kung-Fu film featuring fun action, great special effects and a good level of comedy.
September 26, 2015
Ridiculous to the maximum. "Shaolin Soccer" might not be as good as "Kung Fu Hustle" but it has enough laughs and absurdity to keep us invested until the very end. Very fun to watch. I kind of soccer was as ridiculous as this lol
½ September 4, 2015
For most people, a good movie. For martial arts enthusiasts, a great one. For soccer fans? - Amazing. Now, if you're both a kung fu and soccer lover like me, it will be one of the best movies you will ever see. I must warn you: the epicness level of this movie is insanely high.