Shaolin Soccer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Soccer Reviews

½ December 10, 2017
Not bad, but nowhere near as good as Kung Fu Hustle. Not all that funny, but mildly entertaining in parts.
November 28, 2017
6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 = 67
September 1, 2017
One of the best comedies that I've ever seen!!
½ July 10, 2017
A bit overrated tbh.
May 21, 2017
It is a wonderful movie, it not only about combine kungFu and soccer, but also talk about dream. If you are a Chinese, and you can speak Cantonese, you will feel a lot of funny in the process of watching this movie.
January 22, 2017
Saw this without English subtitles.
January 19, 2017
Love this movie, one of my favorite "guilty pleasure movies" though I use the term loosely, because I never feel guilty watching it
½ December 23, 2016
A hilarious goofy comedy that makes me laugh to tears from beginning to end, and it is so amazing the way it embraces kung fu action, Western movies tropes, cartoonish visual effects and a lot of delicious nonsense to create a unique martial arts movie.
½ December 16, 2016
I would rathe take a shot off cancer and aids than watch this movie just pull my eyes out.
November 29, 2016
SO EPIC FUNNY MOVIE. HAHAHA
½ September 30, 2016
Hilarious. Laugh out loud funny throughout. Only thing I can't stand is that it's one of those movies in that weird period where they thought CGI was good, but it looked AWFUL. Some of the music throughout seemed like a cringe-y level of synthesized. If you liked Kung Fu Hustle, easy to love this one too
August 26, 2016
Shaolin Soccer is undeniably stupid, but the stupidity is so enjoyable and lovable, it makes the whole experience into one unforgettable kick.
August 3, 2016
Shaolin Soccer is a zany, hilarious, and unique kung fu sports movie. It reminded me a lot of Dodgeball (2004) with its large cast of misfits and underdogs competing in a tournament. This sets up new standards for over-the-top action/comedy with its craziness in the soccer matches. This movie is lot of fun, and I really liked the subtle homages to Michael Jackson, Bruce Lee, and vampires.
June 7, 2016
This movie is so good till even the EA's FIFA 2002 soccer game have fireball special effect that reference from this movie. As a fanboy of Stephen Chow, I think this is the most entertaining movie of Stephen Chow since The God of Cookery.
May 31, 2016
Fun movie with off-the-walls humor. The laughs compensate for the thoroughly predictable narrative arc.
March 31, 2016
Completely outrageous. However, there's a courage here and you can't help but ask, when all is said and done, why aren't all films this much damn fun!?

Whilst not all of the jokes land (though some of this will be due to cultural gaps, I imagine), there's still a good bit to find funny with this one. More impressively though, there's just a lot of elements to this film that are cool!

Sure, this is adorably goofy but it's pretty serious when it comes to pulling that goofiness off- when large chunks of your film revolve around you convincing the audience that super-humans are playing football, you're probably not going to be able to pull it off (unless it's animated, of course). They pull it off here though- the school playground fantasies are realised here and, honestly, they're more impressive than most modern-day superhero action scenes.
½ March 29, 2016
i just lost 90 minutes of my life watching this movie for only 5 minutes of entertainment (my friend says 3)
March 17, 2016
Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer is a hilarious film that is really quite something that you will never see in a soccer movie. The acting is good, and the humor is really funny. The soccer playing is entertaining to watch and is just ridiculous to watch, you can't help but laugh in amusement. The plot is ridiculous also, but it fits in to the tone that the movie uses. The writing is good, and the chemistry is really great. The effects are really good, and definitely make the film more insane based in the intensity of playing soccer. Shaolin Soccer is a fantastic movie that it'll always be my favorite soccer movie.
March 12, 2016
Chow's comedic creativity knows no bounds. From a soccer field under attack, turned into a war movie sketch, to the gongfu moves on the soccer field where turf and clothes equally go flying--everything is so delightfully kua zhang (exaggerated). Enjoyed the cameos from Karen Mok and Cecilia Cheung, and Danny Chan Kwok-kwan's Bruce Lee impersonation. The only reason I'm not rating 5 stars is for the lower production value and some unconvincingly awkward chemistry between characters.
February 27, 2016
Otra de la grandes comedias de acción de Stephen Chow, que gustará mucho más a los que disfrutaban con Capitan Tsubasa/Supercampeones.