The Sheltering Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sheltering Sky Reviews

January 24, 2017
I hated this movie. I came >< close to walking out on it at least three times. Do not bother with this thing. The book was OK - not my cup of tea, but not bad. I was hoping that the film would "make it better" - that sometimes happens. Not this time. Just terrible. The acting is unconvincing. The story makes little sense. Just, yuck.
February 29, 2016
I LOVED it! Ever since I saw this movie when it first came out I think of it often. To me it viewed a world I had never seen before.
December 19, 2015
Its overly long run time and monotonous scenes keep the viewer checking their watch, but enough skill from the cast and crew makes The Sheltering Sky worth an effort.
½ August 11, 2015
mais de 2 horas entre o tédio e o deslumbre visual; ou: uma combinação entre a 'National Geographic' e o sopro melodramático de um casal em crise.
½ May 27, 2015
Debra Winger and John Malkovich in the desert.
April 14, 2015
It's not a movie, it's a whole experience. An annoying, tiring, puzzling one, but still quite an experience.
March 12, 2015
It is based on Paul Bowles' novel having the same title. It is a little difficult to get the meanings of the story. Is it a satire on the rich and decadent life style or just an expression of existentialism? Images including scenery of Morocco and music are very beautiful. Performances of John and Debra are great.
½ March 1, 2015
A flat narrative of Bowl's novel but it gains because of very good direction
December 23, 2014
Couldn't commit... dragged on a bit.
December 19, 2014
Can we say for all reviews of all films in the future that books are not movies? If you read a book and expect the movie to recreate the experience of reading it, you are almost always disappointed. They are radically different art forms, and each has to be judged on its merits. Then we can eliminate many needlessly negative reviews. I haven't read the book yet. This movie, though, was beautiful and psychologically resonant for me. Some scenes don't come off as well as they should, but the theme (of the movie) came through clearly for me anyway. Recommended only for people who like serious films.
½ June 2, 2014
gr8 cast & director= fantastic pix
May 8, 2014
Like Roberto Rossellini's Journey to Italy, John Malkovich and Debra Winger began a voyage to review and attempt to repair their broken marriage. Only this time the journey is way more exotic and features a tragic ending, unlike what George Sanders and Ingrid Bergman experienced. Excellent cinematography particularly in the desert. My complaint, apart from boredom, is why the hell should John Malkovich and Debra Winger both be bloody Exhibitionists amid the failure to communicate?
April 28, 2014
After the Oscar winning success of The Last Emperor (1987), co-writer and director Bernardo Bertolucci and producer Jeremy Thomas, who had both gone home with Oscars, reunited for this atmospheric yet cold adaptation of Paul Bowles' 1949 semi-autobiographical novel. Despite all good intentions, and some lovely performances throughout, it does require quite a bit of patience. 1947, and Port Moresby (John Malkovich) and his wife Kit (Debra Winger) along with their friend George Tunner (Campbell Scott) travel to Tangiers to partake in a journey that will take them deep into the Sahara Desert, and as Kit says, "We're not tourists. We're travelers.". Along the way, they meet xenophobic travel writer Mrs. Lyle (Jill Bennett) and her mischievous son Eric (Timothy Spall). Along the way, tensions start to grown, Port has a fling with a local prostitute (Amina Annabi), while Kit has an affair with George, and they keep on running into the Lyle's, and the sense of jealousy grows between Port and Kit to breaking point. It looks beautiful, with some luscious cinemtography by Vittorio Storaro. It is a film which doesn't seem to have any fireworks, one of the few, strong saving graces of the film are the brilliant performances that the cast give, and that's where the film succeeds. Even Bowles, who also appeared in the film, hated it.
½ October 11, 2013
Beautifully filmed, haunting soundtrack, good performance by Malkovich and Wingerbut, but it lacks real substances.
April 5, 2013
not one of my favs from bertolucci
January 22, 2013
Im sure one day i will pay attention to the story thats told ,untill then; the sheer atmosphere of Bertoluccis pure passion cinematographics
½ September 15, 2012
This movie was initially very erotic. Saw some pussy hair after 12 minutes, some breasts after 19 and a bit of everything else soon after, including a close up of a very limp penis. Eventually that died as the hardship of the trip started to take hold. The realities of surviving illness took over from from self satisfaction.I found it annoying that i didn't really know what country they were travelling, except for it being in the Sahara, but the scenery was outstanding. The flies and the sandstorms were excellently put into this movie resulting in the removal of any romantisism anybody may have about pursuing such an idea.I kind of feel that this shows how such hardship can humble a person, and how quickly one can fall from grace
½ August 23, 2012
Low on a plot, high on imagery, although this is also sometimes redundant of meaning.
June 17, 2012
The good: astoundingly rich visuals. The rest of it is a pretentious load of twaddle, so being able to get lost in stunning, rich visuals kept me in my seat. The other good part was Debra Winger's acting. The bad: i didn't feel any emotional connection with any character (perhaps Tunner redeemed himself by sticking around). I didn't care if they all died in some grizzly way - unfortunately not enough of them did... Load of psychobabble tosh!
½ June 8, 2012
The setting is probably the best thing about this film. It's filled with interesting locales and the music and atmosphere are great. The acting is good, the story is alright but being a traveler is the underlying motif that propels the film.