The Sheltering Sky Reviews

• Apr 28, 2019

Um belo e enervante drama à (C)pico.

Um belo e enervante drama à (C)pico.

• Sep 05, 2018

Very atmospheric, beautiful soundtrack

Very atmospheric, beautiful soundtrack

• Jun 18, 2018

As in the novel, the first act is overwrought and poorly paced, a confused study of confused characters who are more obnoxious than compelling-but when they enter ever deeper into the desert, as they move further from safety and further from familiarity, as they become increasingly unstable in both bodily and mental health, the story paradoxically finds its footing in the shifting sands. On purely cinematic terms, the performances never quite reach the level of the gorgeous cinematography, and the score never achieves the delicate emotional dynamics of Bowles' own work (considering how often he cameos, it would have been nice to just use his earlier works as the soundtrack), but the film nevertheless achieves something of the existential desperation and tragic power of its source material, even if it takes too long to get there (but doesn't every trip to Africa?).

• Apr 24, 2018

Adapted from the book of the same name by Paul Bowles who was also appeared in the movie as a guest appearance, starring Debra Winger as Kit Moresby who's a playwright traveling with her husband Port a symphony writer around many Arab towns seeking for a particular area to settle in. Coming along with them is a friend, Tunner (Campbell Scott).

• Jan 24, 2017

I hated this movie. I came >< close to walking out on it at least three times. Do not bother with this thing. The book was OK - not my cup of tea, but not bad. I was hoping that the film would "make it better" - that sometimes happens. Not this time. Just terrible. The acting is unconvincing. The story makes little sense. Just, yuck.

• Dec 19, 2015

Its overly long run time and monotonous scenes keep the viewer checking their watch, but enough skill from the cast and crew makes The Sheltering Sky worth an effort.

• Sep 06, 2015

I LOVED it! Ever since I saw this movie when it first came out I think of it often. To me it viewed a world I had never seen before.

• Aug 04, 2015

mais de 2 horas entre o tédio e o deslumbre visual; ou: uma combinação entre a 'National Geographic' e o sopro melodramático de um casal em crise.

• Apr 14, 2015

It's not a movie, it's a whole experience. An annoying, tiring, puzzling one, but still quite an experience.

• Mar 12, 2015

It is based on Paul Bowles' novel having the same title. It is a little difficult to get the meanings of the story. Is it a satire on the rich and decadent life style or just an expression of existentialism? Images including scenery of Morocco and music are very beautiful. Performances of John and Debra are great.