Shut In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shut In Reviews

½ September 24, 2017
Atrocious film. The story offers no points of intrigue, suspense, originality or terror, resulting in one of the most boring and waste-of-time films in a while, despite featuring a great star in a role that remains stale throughout.
September 20, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie.

You see a psychologist is widowed after her step son has an argument with his father which causes a crash.

The stepson is left disabled and you gradually see Naomi's character start to hallucinate. but is everything as it seems?

as this story went on I was gripped and I didn't see the ending coming. I won't spoil it for you though. Naomi watts is fantastic and plays the part well. great movie

Get Outlook for Android
September 17, 2017
Should have been called Shut Up!
September 16, 2017
Not sure why this got so many negative ratings. It was a little slow in the beginning, but the second half had me on the edge of my seat.
September 16, 2017
Didn't expect the end what a great movie!
September 15, 2017
Boring story about a mother and son that for some reason do not go outside. Try to have the shocker ending but it still didn't work.
September 5, 2017
This was a pretty good movie, with a good twist. I'm only disappointed because I was expecting a ghost story.
September 4, 2017
Saw it coming a mile away....
½ September 1, 2017
This movie had the dumbest storyline ever
August 24, 2017
It was pretty hard for me to find anything that I liked about "Shut In". Throughout the whole movie, the only thing I was thinking was: 'when is this gonna end?', and it was only an hour and a half long, so just from that it's easy to tell how rough this movie was. The acting wasn't terrible, I'll give it that, Naomi Watts (Mary), and Charlie Heaton (Stephen), were pretty good, however their dramatic acting was pretty much the only thing that this movie had to offer. The plot was absolutely atrocious, it was so jumbled and tough to follow that I just completely lost interest in it, and there were characters that basically had absolutely no contribution to the plot. This movie could've been made with only 3 people in the entire film, and it would've been no different. The jump-scares in this movie were so terribly executed, it was so obvious to tell when they were coming up, and when they did it did nothing, as you would instantly find out the thing doing the jump-scare wasn't scary at all. By the end of the movie I was genuinely confused as to what actually happened in the movie, but all I know is that there is absolutely no way it is worth going back to watch again and find out. "Shut In" is terribly messy, extremely confusing, and is just an outright terrible movie.
½ July 31, 2017
A disappointing thriller, with one of the most ridiculous screenplay, and a really wasted cast.
½ June 30, 2017
It's bad, like, REALLY BAD
½ June 29, 2017
Naomi Watts stars in the intense (and somewhat stereotypical) psychological thriller Shut In. The story follows widowed mother and child psychologist Mary Portman who starts to question her sanity when one of her patients goes missing and she beings to have strange visions. Watts gives a very strong performance, really capturing the paranoia and terror of the character. And the director does a good job at using space; both in showing Mary's isolation in the country and her confinement in her house. But unfortunately the writing is rather weak, with a thin plot and underdeveloped characters. Shut In is suspenseful and has some frightening moments, but overall it's a fairly mediocre and formulaic horror film.
June 16, 2017
"I admire any movie for shooting in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec where I live but not when it's a terrible horror movie starring a very talented actress who should know better"
DVD Movie Review: Shut In
Date Viewed: March 20 2017
Directed By Farren Blackburn
Written By Christina Hodson
Starring: Naomi Watts, Oliver Platt, Jacob Tremblay, Charlie Heaton, David Cubitt, Clementine Poidatz, Crystal Balint, Alex Braunstein and Peter Outerbridge.

Oh Naomi Watts, please fire your agent. "Shut In" is one of those rare horror thrillers that manages to have no scares at all. I mean that literally, there is nothing creepy and frightening about it. I'm all in for a hokey and cheesy B-horror movie with a nutty premise and laughably awful performances but "Shut In" has none of those things. Even though it's set in rural New England, most of the movie was shot in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec. Hey! That's the area where I live!

Why can't Hollywood shoot more movies in the Eastern Townships, it's a quiet region with small towns and beautiful forests but unfortunately, Hollywood's CGI green-screen addiction is taking over the industry so I don't think any big celebrities will come to the region any time soon. The mystery in "Shut In" is completely idiotic and unbelievable and the jump scare cliches are all over the place. From raccoons to a mysterious somebody grabbing another somebody's body parts and to the creaky door sounds, "Shut In" has every horror cliche you can think of. I admire any movie for shooting in the Eastern Townships region but not when it's a terrible horror movie starring a very talented actress who should know better.

Watts plays Mary Portman, a widowed child psychologist who gets stuck taking care of her teenage stepson, Steven Portman (Charlie Heaton, from "Stranger Things") who's currently in a permanent vegetative state unable to move or walk. Steven wasn't always like this, he used to be a teenage adolescent who would always get into trouble. When he got expelled from school, Steven was forced to relocate to a new school with his father, Richard Portman (Peter Outerbridge) but the both of them got into a major car accident which resulted in Richard's death and Steven's paralyzed state.

Finding herself isolated at home with her step-son, Mary finds that someone maybe in her house but she doesn't know what or whom it is? There's also subplots involving Mary trying to rescue one of her child patients, Tom Patterson (Jacob Tremblay, from "Room") who has gone missing for quite a few days and Mary possibly trying to hit it off with the father of one of her teenage patients, Doug Hart (David Cubitt) but these storylines don't go anywhere.

This is a major spoiler alert but you probably won't care since this movie was a box office flop, the mysterious presence in Mary's house turns out to be Steven who was faking his vegetative state the whole time. Steven wants to really remain close to her stepmother in an affectionate and creepy way and he wants the Patterson kid dead because he wants him shut out of his mother's life. The climax of the movie takes place during a nasty winter storm because of course in all horror movies like this they always have nasty weather at night so that the filmmakers can build unruly tension. This cliched gimmick is old, cheap and suspense-free and I wish that all the horror masters out there would stop doing it.

Oh yeah, there's also Oliver Platt as a fellow psychologist and friend of Mary's but he is hopelessly lost here. Why is this movie short on scares? That's the real mystery in "Shut In". Maybe director Farren Blackburn and screenwriter Christina Hodson are allergic to them. That's a likely probable cause. Jacob Tremblay who was so terrifically good in "Room" is completely wasted here as the young boy who gets taken under Mary Portman's care. Naomi Watts does the best she can here but this sorry excuse for a horror movie was probably a way for her to make a house payment or something.

"Shut In" is completely inept and claustrophobically stupid all around. I hope Watts doesn't end up driving the same low-rent/VOD-lane that has led to the destruction of Nicolas Cage and Bruce Willis' careers.
June 11, 2017
What the fuck of a movie is this?
Shut In!
LOL!
May 31, 2017
This is a good movie, actually. If you just could see at the bigger picture.
May 29, 2017
Not so much a thriller as slapstick comedy, she hits that kid so many times with so many things it's comedy gold !
½ May 28, 2017
Great beginning and ending, but the middle lacks any substance to have a complete narrative.
May 28, 2017
The plot twist made the movie, it was boring till then.
May 26, 2017
A good cast and a potential thriller, but...

At first, it looked fine. Well initiated by giving out a proper reason to develop what comes later. But that later part was the biggest let down. It becomes so cliché and because of that I lost interest. Otherwise, it is could have been a decent one with all the good actors. Also the location was good, a perfect setting for the storyline. But not noticeable when the narration enters the second half, mainly because of thriller takes over.

It is the story of a psychologist who recently lost her husband in a car crash, but ended up taking care of step-son after he became mentally and physically incapable. When the life was in the routine, suddenly something bad happens where her young patient goes missing. Following the event, she begins to experience what others won't believe her. But what comes later is more shocker, a twist in the tale takes us the conclusion.

As the title and its genre suggest, it remained truth to that, but there is no innovation in storytelling. Most of the people would easily predict most of the parts if not the entire film. The casting was the advantage and they all were good, including the kid from 'Room' and Naomi. Even though it is rated very low everywhere, as well as by me, kind of entertaining, which means watchable till the end than cut it out in the middle. Not a film to recommend, but if you choose it to watch, I won't say don't.

4/10