The Sixth Sense - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sixth Sense Reviews

Page 1 of 2044
½ October 7, 2016
Unlike most of Shyamalan's other works, The Sixth Sense is not a means of achieving a plot twist. By now, everyone knows the twist of this movie, but it was simply an artistic touch -- a tragic, but sympathetic one -- on a great psychological horror movie. The ghosts themselves are not really that scary, a discovery that Haley Joel Osment must confront and learn, but their presence and the psychological toll that it takes on everyone, especially Osment (an exceptionally good actor, given his age), stuck with me. The premise for the ghosts is that many spirits of the dead wander around as if they were alive, not always aware of the fact that they are dead, awaiting closure for missed opportunities in life. Osment recognizes this, but would rather not have his ability to interact with spirits than live with the responsibility of confronting them. Most of my chills were induced by Osment's relationship with the ghosts and the world, in his many failed attempts to appear connected solely with the living. Meanwhile, Willis is a child psychologist who feels he must redeem the mistake he made on one particular patient, who shoots Willis and himself in the opening scene, and help Osment in truly overcoming his struggles. What is interesting about Willis' relationship with the world is that both he and Osment are unaware of the fact that Willis is dead (no longer a spoiler), and we are treated to a depiction of the world in the scope of childhood innocence / inexperience. This lends itself to some scenes not too far from the many other dramas that depict a mutually educational relationship between an adult and a child. Willis being dead and Osment seeing ghosts recreates the trope into a psychological horror, and that really showcases M. Night Shyamalan at a creative peak, as both director and screenwriter. What a shame that he peaked so early.
August 23, 2016
With an intriguing plot and twist ending, The Sixth Sense is a masterpiece of storytelling and directorial skill.
½ August 23, 2016
93% - M Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense is more of a suspense thriller than a horror film. But anyways, it is a great film due to its strong storytelling and direction. This is not a movie that will scare anyone instantly but slowly creeps and haunts slowly until the big twist at the end. It consists of themes and concepts that horror movies now don't have such as friendship, love, faith etc. The Sixth Sense is a masterpiece.
August 18, 2016
m night shyalaman was doing great twist movie. classic are great well for us to take a hand from worse movie today is keep more serious prove to him.
½ August 14, 2016
One of great film directorial debuts. Everything you want in a great thriller. Suspense, drama, twists. Great writing / directing / acting. Rating: 9 / 10
August 12, 2016
A fabulous horror movie that is terrifically written, as a great cast, and was so well directed that I honestly had a hard time believing it was directed by the guy who directed the Last Airbender. The film is so compelling and feels like a psychological drama at first and then becomes a horror film. I also appreciate how it's scary without jump scares or much gore. It's a horror classic at this point and an absolute must see for fans of horror films and tense dramas.
August 12, 2016
Chilling and masterly crafted
August 10, 2016
M. Night Shyamalan brings intrigue throughout the film that keeps you on the edge of the seat. Osmet provides a great child performance.
August 5, 2016
Absolutely fantastic.
August 4, 2016
One of the godfathers in surprise revealing at the end. Sixth Sense tells a story of redemption and search for peace. Great acting combined with wonderful directing.
August 4, 2016
In my opinion The Sixth Sense is M Night Shyamalan's best film. The Sixth Sense is a fantastic horror film with an amazing cast and great acting. I love the role of Bruce Willis in this film and I like Haley Joel Osment and also Toni Colette in this film, they all play their roles very well in this film. M Night Shayamalan may not be a good director anymore but I will always love how he did The Sixth Sense and he definitely directed it very well. I definitely think this film deserves another rare 5 star rating from me as it is a great film and also very smart with a great plot. The thing that I really like about The Sixth Sense is it doesn't fail to impress and if you have a good taste in a horror film you will love The Sixth Sense. The Sixth Sense also has a very surprise ending which I don't think anybody expected. I love The Sixth Sense and I wish M Night Shayamalan could have directed more great films like this. He does have other okay films but nothing like this. But this film is amazing and definitely a must see
August 2, 2016
You can't say you've experienced a twist in film until you've watched the Sixth Sense. With surprisingly terrific acting from the enitre cast - and a plot which never seemed to tire - this will keep you perched on the edge of your seat right until the end credits start rolling. Truly a marvellous piece of filmography that anybody can enjoy.
Verdict: A+
½ July 31, 2016
One of the best psychological/paranormal thrillers i've seen. Amazing story, brilliantly shot and Willis & Osment are excellent in the lead rolls. Look out for the O.C's Mischa Barton as the ghost who throws up in the tent.
½ July 30, 2016
Not only is this film suspenseful and has use at the edge of your seat but has incredible story engaging characters that keep you invested throughout. I wish this film would get more recognition. It certainly is a underrated masterpiece.
July 30, 2016
Slow burning but freaky in places and one of the best twists ever in film, Willis and the rest of the cast were great but too slow to re watch.
July 25, 2016
hollywood trickery at its finest some good scares a twist your not gonna see coming and a well made tale about a torture young boy
July 22, 2016
M. Night Shyamalan's first big movie is a blast, with genuinely scary scenes, and a great performance by both Bruce Willis, and the young Haley Joel Osment.
½ July 17, 2016
Not really scary, but very well done.
July 15, 2016
A must see it intelligent smart suspense thriller! I love The Sixth Sense!
½ July 14, 2016
Both Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis gave incredible performances in this suspenseful, thought-provoking, smart thriller.
Page 1 of 2044