The Sixth Sense - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sixth Sense Reviews

Page 1 of 2044
November 6, 2016
My favourite film - and my favourite magic trick.
October 27, 2016
The Sixth Sense is infamous for its groundbreaking twist, but endures as a Hollywood horror classic because it boasts a whopper of skin-crawling scares, as well as a heartfelt, powerfully moving story to boot -- and features breathtaking performances from Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis, allowing viewers to feel their characters' pain deep within.
October 26, 2016
The problem with a film so synonymous with a shocking twist or an ending reveal is that there isn't much value to re-watching such a film. Sure, there are plenty of good things about The Sixth Sense, but I can't help but think without the famous twist, this movie would have been just your average thriller.

Being a huge film fan, it was always hard admitting that I haven't seen M. Night Shyamalan's "masterpiece", The Sixth Sense. But because I've known the twist for years now, I had a difficult time mustering up the motivation to watch a film knowing its ending. I can't stand knowing endings going into the viewing experience. With that said, there are a lot of things about this film that are good, so I'm mad at myself for taking so long. But also keeping that in mind, I hardly believe this film was best picture quality, nor deserves to be on "all-time great" lists.

Besides the twist, The Sixth Sense is perhaps most notable for being the coming out party for Haley Joel Osment, who plays a child with the ability to see and speak to the newly perished. He, Toni Collette, and Bruce Willis are the best things about this film. The performances alone make it worth the price of admission, with Collette being the clear standout for me. And Willis perhaps hasn't given as good of a performance since.

The problem for me is that knowing the twist going in really tramples any sort of enjoyment I had. The "thrills" weren't all that thrilling and the plot seemed to never truly pick up pace until it was too late. That falls on the shoulders of Shyamalan and his directing. I feel like people were so enthralled with the late-game revelation, that they forgot how plotting the first hour and a half feels. There's a lot here I liked, but it's nowhere near the high praise that people give it.

+Performances carry the film

+Emotional connection is felt towards the end

-Plot drags

-No re-watchability

6.4/10
½ October 7, 2016
Unlike most of Shyamalan's other works, The Sixth Sense is not a means of achieving a plot twist. By now, everyone knows the twist of this movie, but it was simply an artistic touch -- a tragic, but sympathetic one -- on a great psychological horror movie. The ghosts themselves are not really that scary, a discovery that Haley Joel Osment must confront and learn, but their presence and the psychological toll that it takes on everyone, especially Osment (an exceptionally good actor, given his age), stuck with me. The premise for the ghosts is that many spirits of the dead wander around as if they were alive, not always aware of the fact that they are dead, awaiting closure for missed opportunities in life. Osment recognizes this, but would rather not have his ability to interact with spirits than live with the responsibility of confronting them. Most of my chills were induced by Osment's relationship with the ghosts and the world, in his many failed attempts to appear connected solely with the living. Meanwhile, Willis is a child psychologist who feels he must redeem the mistake he made on one particular patient, who shoots Willis and himself in the opening scene, and help Osment in truly overcoming his struggles. What is interesting about Willis' relationship with the world is that both he and Osment are unaware of the fact that Willis is dead (no longer a spoiler), and we are treated to a depiction of the world in the scope of childhood innocence / inexperience. This lends itself to some scenes not too far from the many other dramas that depict a mutually educational relationship between an adult and a child. Willis being dead and Osment seeing ghosts recreates the trope into a psychological horror, and that really showcases M. Night Shyamalan at a creative peak, as both director and screenwriter. What a shame that he peaked so early.
August 23, 2016
With an intriguing plot and twist ending, The Sixth Sense is a masterpiece of storytelling and directorial skill.
½ August 23, 2016
93% - M Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense is more of a suspense thriller than a horror film. But anyways, it is a great film due to its strong storytelling and direction. This is not a movie that will scare anyone instantly but slowly creeps and haunts slowly until the big twist at the end. It consists of themes and concepts that horror movies now don't have such as friendship, love, faith etc. The Sixth Sense is a masterpiece.
August 18, 2016
m night shyalaman was doing great twist movie. classic are great well for us to take a hand from worse movie today is keep more serious prove to him.
½ August 14, 2016
One of great film directorial debuts. Everything you want in a great thriller. Suspense, drama, twists. Great writing / directing / acting. Rating: 9 / 10
August 12, 2016
A fabulous horror movie that is terrifically written, as a great cast, and was so well directed that I honestly had a hard time believing it was directed by the guy who directed the Last Airbender. The film is so compelling and feels like a psychological drama at first and then becomes a horror film. I also appreciate how it's scary without jump scares or much gore. It's a horror classic at this point and an absolute must see for fans of horror films and tense dramas.
August 12, 2016
Chilling and masterly crafted
August 10, 2016
M. Night Shyamalan brings intrigue throughout the film that keeps you on the edge of the seat. Osmet provides a great child performance.
August 5, 2016
Absolutely fantastic.
August 4, 2016
One of the godfathers in surprise revealing at the end. Sixth Sense tells a story of redemption and search for peace. Great acting combined with wonderful directing.
August 4, 2016
In my opinion The Sixth Sense is M Night Shyamalan's best film. The Sixth Sense is a fantastic horror film with an amazing cast and great acting. I love the role of Bruce Willis in this film and I like Haley Joel Osment and also Toni Colette in this film, they all play their roles very well in this film. M Night Shayamalan may not be a good director anymore but I will always love how he did The Sixth Sense and he definitely directed it very well. I definitely think this film deserves another rare 5 star rating from me as it is a great film and also very smart with a great plot. The thing that I really like about The Sixth Sense is it doesn't fail to impress and if you have a good taste in a horror film you will love The Sixth Sense. The Sixth Sense also has a very surprise ending which I don't think anybody expected. I love The Sixth Sense and I wish M Night Shayamalan could have directed more great films like this. He does have other okay films but nothing like this. But this film is amazing and definitely a must see
August 2, 2016
You can't say you've experienced a twist in film until you've watched the Sixth Sense. With surprisingly terrific acting from the enitre cast - and a plot which never seemed to tire - this will keep you perched on the edge of your seat right until the end credits start rolling. Truly a marvellous piece of filmography that anybody can enjoy.
Verdict: A+
½ July 31, 2016
One of the best psychological/paranormal thrillers i've seen. Amazing story, brilliantly shot and Willis & Osment are excellent in the lead rolls. Look out for the O.C's Mischa Barton as the ghost who throws up in the tent.
½ July 30, 2016
Not only is this film suspenseful and has use at the edge of your seat but has incredible story engaging characters that keep you invested throughout. I wish this film would get more recognition. It certainly is a underrated masterpiece.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Slow burning but freaky in places and one of the best twists ever in film, Willis and the rest of the cast were great but too slow to re watch.
July 25, 2016
hollywood trickery at its finest some good scares a twist your not gonna see coming and a well made tale about a torture young boy
July 22, 2016
****
M. Night Shyamalan's first big movie is a blast, with genuinely scary scenes, and a great performance by both Bruce Willis, and the young Haley Joel Osment.
Page 1 of 2044