Smokin' Aces Reviews

• 16h ago

A not too logic story told with elements of neo noir, mobster film, some splatter and some action hero stuff. Funny here and there but not worth watching in my opinion.

• Oct 27, 2020

Stupid, waste of film, what's the point movie. If you like gratuitous violence you'll love this. If you like pointless plots and movies that go nowhere, this one's for you.

• Oct 17, 2020

Terrific movie save the profanity taking the Lords name in vain nudity remove it all in JESUS mighty name amen!!!

• Sep 20, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (4.5/5) Wow. Lots of action as assassins, FBI agents, and bail bondsmen vie against one another to either eliminate, protect, or apprehend a single man before anyone else can do the same. Very well written and original. Duration/Tempo: (3.5/5) At 1 hour and 48 minutes, it's an average length movie that felt shorter. Nicely paced. Cast & Crew: (4.5/5) Amazing cast. Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Ben Affleck, Common, Alicia Keys, et al. Great performances across the board. Summary: (4/5) The story and cast were excellent, and the film felt shorter than it actually was. A thumbs up.

• Sep 14, 2020

Similar to Troy Duffy's 1999 cult classic, "The Boondocks Saints," Joe Carnahan's "Smokin' Aces" contains many of the surface-level hallmarks of a Tarantino flick (excessive violence, indulgent dialogue, stylistic idiosyncrasies, etc.) but none of the other elements of actual substance within those works (narrative intricacy, thematic intrigue, impressive camerawork, etc.) Surprisingly enough, the crux of this movie's watchability stems from its retroactively all-star cast. Joel Edgerton, Taraji P. Henson, Chris Pine and even Jason Bateman feature prominently in the film, but rest nowhere near top billing, as they all appear within earlier points along their respective careers. With a cast like that, it's kinda funny how Jeremy Piven was considered the star of this movie at the time of its release. On a serious note, though, there's some troublesome humor in this, particularly one bit involving the director lewdly poking fun at a teenager with attention deficit issues. I mean, what the hell, man? I don't even think I would've found that funny in 2006. Also, there's a third-act exposition dump in this that I swear would make even the likes of Hideo Kojima blush. As I write this, I'm shocked I didn't end up rating "Smokin' Aces" lower than the above score. Perhaps my tolerance of decent-looking gunfights is getting in the way of my academic eye? Who's to say, except me, and I'm already done wanting to talk about this thing.

• Sep 09, 2020

Establishes too many characters and explores none of them, immediately throwing names and backstories at you that you will absolutely not remember, nor will you likely care about. Gives away its much of its supposed twist regarding Sparazza with very heavyhanded exposition that makes no sense unless it just so happened to tie into a later development. Pieced together rather conceived as a whole, and it shows, despite its attempt to be stylish. Hardly ever can be called any fun, though it deserves credit for killing off a headlining star so early and with no warning. (2/5)

• Sep 09, 2020

Sporting a great cast, an interesting array of characters, and an intricately woven story with shocking plot twists- Smokin' Aces is a very different kind of shoot-em-up action flick and a very good one at that.

• Jul 31, 2020

Great cast & movie.The critics We're harsh on this great flick.

Great cast & movie.The critics We're harsh on this great flick.

• May 14, 2020

Las Vegas magician and wannabe gangster Buddy "Aces" Israel (Jeremy Piven) is hiding out in a Lake Tahoe hotel with his entourage. His agent, Morris Mecklen, discusses a potential immunity deal with FBI Deputy Director Stanley Locke (Andy García). Agents Richard Messner (Ryan Reynolds) and Donald Carruthers (Ray Liotta) learn that ailing mob boss Primo Sparazza has issued a bounty on Israel worth one million dollars, and involving a mysterious assassin known only as The Swede, stipulating that he will bring Sparazza Israel's heart. A number of assassins also seek the reward, including Lazlo Soot, who specializes in disguises and impersonations; Sharice Watters and Georgia Sykes (Alicia Keys), two hitwomen hired by Sparazza's underboss; Pasquale Acosta, a calm torture expert and mercenary; and the psychotic neo-Nazi Tremor brothers, Darwin, Jeeves, and Lester... Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "A violent mess of a movie, Smokin' Aces has some of Quentin Tarantino's style but not much of his wit or humor". The film received praise for its cast, action sequences, and soundtrack, and criticism for its storylines and violence. David Denby of The New Yorker gave a negative review of the film, stating that it has "a rabid, itchy, crack-den heartlessness to it—screw-you nihilism as a joke" and "has been made with the kind of antic violence that wins a movie the honorific title of "black comedy." What that indicates in this case is that nothing makes sense—and that's supposed to be cool." Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gave the film three out of four stars; although he noted that the film has "too many characters and too many plot strands" as well as an abrupt ending, he stated that the film is "shamelessly and unapologetically a guy movie... Carnahan can still fire up action and laughs like nobody's business." Joe Carnahan "Smoking Aces" is an average fast paced and messy actioneer directed at a male audience and an attempt of making an American Guy Ritchie movie. Ritchie manages to balance several characters and several plotlines in his gangster movies, which Carnahan fails with here if you ask me. There´s simply too much going on, so in the end you don´t care for any of the characters nor the storyline. Who gets killed and who lives. "Smoking Aces" is as well a film that borders to being a comic book with characters that are just stereotypes and nothing more. "Smoking Aces" has a lot of bang for the bucks, but doesn´t excite that much despite being an interesting ensemble film with many well known faces and names.

• Apr 18, 2020

The best Tarantino wannabe with a great cast and awesome action and shocking twist and turns and a fantastic ending