Snitch Reviews

• Apr 20, 2020

Snitch is a fairly basic film about a father who will do anything to help his son. The idea of it is ridiculous at times, particularly in the way the District Attorney agrees to work with him. However, he formulates a plan to deal with the problem that is understandable, and creates a dramatic series of events in the climax. Dwayne Johnson instantly makes for a likeable protagonist, but this film doesn’t capitalize on all his charisma. He isn’t having fun at any point in this film, and that is not a great idea when you have a guy like The Rock starring in your movie. The other issue with the film is that people are meant to be a threat to Johnson, but he is such an intimidating presence that it’s hard to see others as a danger. Susan Sarandon is perfect as the no-nonsense lawyer who is looking out for only herself and her job. I don’t really get the Jon Bernthal thing, though, he’s simply not all that engaging to me as an actor. I think at the core of Snitch there is a decent story, but it’s not all that original or interesting. I was into the plot enough to watch through to the end and see how it would resolve, but it’s nothing I need to watch again.

• Mar 09, 2019

Very well developed story, credible. Better be since it comes from a real story. We care for the characters. Great stunts.

• Aug 24, 2018

Amazing movie. I didn't deserve this punishment either. How dare you all for hating on a movie that at least is trying to put us in the right direction. This wasn't Central intelligence or fast and furious. It was a movie trying to prove something unjust. You all that down on movies like this just like to hear yourselves talk.

• May 30, 2018

Snitch with Dwayne Johnson is a really intense and hard edged thriller!

Snitch with Dwayne Johnson is a really intense and hard edged thriller!

• Apr 23, 2018

This had to be one of the worst movies I have seen Dwayne Johnson do. Yes, it was a different role than him being the big bad ass but, being the big bad ass is what he does! It pained me to see him get the shit beat out of him in this movie and not even try to fight back.

• Apr 11, 2018

Very good movie based around a very real problem still currently plaguing America today. I wish there were more movies like this.

• Jan 21, 2018

Snitch benefits from some great performances. I genuinely believed that the guy playing Dwayne Johnson's son was incredibly sad with implications of prison rape. There isn't much action but it's alright. Overall, this movie is passable. Mostly because of how forgettable it is. Nothing really stood out for me. There's no memorable scenes however hard The Rock or Jon Bernthal might try. And it's not as action-packed as I already point out as you may be led to believe by the casting choices and the fact that it's categorized as an action movie on IMDb. The dramatization of true events is well-done but also lackluster. I found the movie to at least fall under that oxymoronic statement. But it's mostly a forgettable movie that won't be talked about anytime soon except for diehard fans of the Rock. Hell, some friends of mine are fans of the Rock and I doubt they've even heard of this movie. That stll doesn't mean Snitch is terrible, though. Just required a little more thoughtfulness, that's all.

• Jan 18, 2018

A decent action thriller with good honest performances from a good cast. May be a little longer than it needs to be and it does have that TV movie vibe. However, it works and apart from some pointless shaky cam nonsense during the first action scene it's well directed.

• Aug 19, 2017

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Someone told on you Scott - the Snitch review is in! SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Son of a snitch! Let s recap. GREG: We re introduced to Jason Matthews who has been thrown in jail because his buddy sent him a stash of cocaine to hold for him. He s facing 10 years in federal prison. His estranged father, John Matthews (Dwayne Johnson) pulls some strings and gets a meeting with US Attorney Joanne Keeghan (Susan Sarandon). She agrees to lessen Jason s sentence if Matthews can act as an informant against the local kingpin drug dealer. Matthews agrees and enlists the help of an ex-con who works for him, Daniel James (Jon Bernthal). SCOTT: James introduces Matthews to a dangerous local drug dealer named Malik (Michael K. Williams). Matthews offers his trucking business to help Malik transport drugs, but Malik is suspicious of him. He is willing to allow Matthews to transport a large shipment but only if Matthews is willing to drive the truck himself. In addition, James must accompany him. The two deliver the goods but Sarandon s main field agent Cooper (Barry Pepper) fails to make an arrest, believing that Matthews can lead them to a higher drug cartel figure. GREG: Scott, this movie is based upon actual events. The father, Matthews, is getting pulled deeper and deeper into the drug ring, making his risk greater and greater. I found it hard to believe that any man would risk his life for his son s wrong-doing. But, it was based upon actual events, so I guess it must have happened. But, there comes a point where something happens that is beyond belief. Matthews has visitation with his son. And he looks deeply, meaningfully into his son s eyes and says: You ve taught me something. You ve taught me the value of loyalty. In other words, this man was willing to risk his life, livelihood, and potentially the lives of his and James family to spring his son - when all his son had to do was snitch on his friends. I found this impossible to swallow. SCOTT: Greg, it wasn t so hard for me to believe that a father would risk life and limb for his son. Personally, I would never have done what Matthews did for his boy, but I know many parents who will do anything and risk anything for their kids well-being. It borders on craziness to me, but never underestimate the sometimes illogical strength of the parent-child bond. The prison visitation scene was fascinating. The son is getting beaten up by the other prisoners and has cuts and bruises all over his face. Again, my reaction would have been, Listen, you idiot, you can stop all this if you simply tell the D.A. that you ll snitch on drug dealers at your school. So maybe this movie is a cautionary tale about what can happen when parents worship their children, even when the children show some truly lame judgment. GREG: Fair enough. Snitch is a sugar-coated peek into the world of drug running. Compared to The Counselor (which I hated, by the way), this movie is like a Saturday-morning cartoon. The bad guys are Yosemite-Sam look-alikes and the Feds are cookie-cutter politicians out to further their own careers more than interested in doing the right thing. SCOTT: Greg, I found myself liking this movie despite problems I had with Matthews bailing out his kid when the kid wasn t willing to help himself. Pardon the pun, but Dwayne Johnson puts in a rock-solid performance, showing that he can act and actually has some decent range. There are two other noteworthy performances here. John Bernthal delivers a stirring portrayal of Matthews sidekick on the drug deliveries, and Barry Pepper is outstanding in his role as Susan Sarandon s sidekick on the law enforcement side. Snitch isn t without other flaws. One irritating inconsistency occurs when Agent Cooper puts Matthews in harm s way by failing to make an arrest when he (Cooper) senses there are bigger fish to fry. Keeghan chews him out for this error, but then later it is Keeghan who puts Matthews is terrible harm s way and it is Cooper who challenges her and wants to protect Matthews safety. Why do these two characters flip-flop their positions? Doesn t makes sense. GREG: I was mildly entertained during Snitch but I don t feel the need to see it again. I did like it better than the aforementioned The Counselor. Dwayne Johnson did a passable job, but let s face it, he plays himself in every film. I give Snitch 2 Reels out of 5. Johnson s character of Matthews goes on a good hero s journey and learns a flimsy lesson about loyalty. But it s enough for me to award him 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero: SCOTT: Greg, my ratings are yours in reverse. Snitch entertained me with its gripping portrayal of family loyalty (however misguided it was) and its suspenseful depiction of the dangers of infiltrating dangerous drug cartels. The film earns 3 Reels out of 5 for me. As for the hero story, I m not convinced that Matthews is changed one iota by his questionable decision to risk his life a dozen times over for his pathetic son. Alas, he d do it all again in a heartbeat. I didn t see too much else in the hero journey -- no mentor and no father figure, for example. So I m reducing my Heroes rating to just 2 out of 5. Movie: Hero:

• Dec 30, 2016