Reviews

• Sep 27, 2021

From what I remember (watched it from sometime ago), the movie's pace was a little slow, but I think it's a good movie that I'd watch again.

• May 14, 2021

Superior acting...lots of feelings of emptiness, fear, and bonding between a lonely father and eleven year old daughter as they both figure out the "somewhere" their lives are going and who they can depend on.

• Apr 14, 2021

Stunning. Top of my feel-good films list. Watched this in lockdown for a boost, and it's just beautiful. Obviously I'm not doing it justice, it's really subtle, beautifully directed and feels like a painting. I loved the relationship of the characters and was interested by the portrayal of what life and relationships are like when fame is involved. Can't rate this film highly enough, my review is terrible, but just watch it.

• Jan 11, 2021

Hypnotic in the mundane moments that draw you right in as if you're directly experiencing the characters emotions, and throughout the full duration of the film. The use of silence and pronounced everyday sounds is surprisingly engulfing, too. I watched this for the first time years ago and it still sticks with me. It's a work of art vs. a linear movie plot.

• Jun 17, 2020

Its well acted, the characters are interesting but the story is so slow.

Its well acted, the characters are interesting but the story is so slow.

• May 14, 2020

Charming, poetic, beautiful and subtle experience. Its a very feminine point of view. Of a recognition, reencounter between father and dauther. Dont understand the hating and think its an underrated movie. Silent they say? Slow? Sometimes a gesture, a movement, the colours, the sounds can say much more than concrete actions.

• Mar 14, 2020

Yes, it seems like Coppola retreated the set of themes of celebrity ennui, melancholy, feeling adrift and leading a meaningless senselessly that worked brilliantly in her magnum opus, Lost in Translation. But these themes here take a centre stage and are explored through an irresistible father-daughter relationship in a way only manageable through Sofia's hypnotic lens and extraordinary ear for music. The first act is a bit overlong and repetitive, though. (8.5/10)

• Oct 14, 2019

Bojack Horseman before it existed

Bojack Horseman before it existed

• Jul 25, 2019

Somewhere boring that's for sure.

Somewhere boring that's for sure.

• Jul 02, 2019

I love Sophia Coppola's style. It's so genuine in nature and it always seems like it's from a first person point of view. One of my favorite things about Sophia Coppola os the way that she can write her movies and as well all the charm throughout. The way she can tell us what's going on or what happened in the past by just subtle things in certain scenes. That face mask scene gave me anxiety, I don't know how he did it. Watching this movie, you can;t help but wonder if this is how some actors live. Oh man, I love how Pontiffs said the "so hard" reference from Wildboyz. There's definitely a lot of inspiration from Lost in Translation in this movie. Hahaha! The look Cleo gives her father when that blonde chick shows up at the breakfast table. So good. This movie is a really good introspective take on someone who has everything but feels like they're nothing in the world, unhappy, depressed. I think the best thing was that having his daughter re enter into his life prompted him to change it so that he could be a happier person. Really good and introspective movie.