We Are What We Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Are What We Are Reviews

October 10, 2016
No explican como el papá fue envenenado
½ July 7, 2016
Dark Mexican family drama. A twisted take on cannibal films.
½ April 24, 2016
We Are What We Are is a low-budget, Spanish drama/horror that promises big things with its great title, disturbing poster, and exceptional premise, however it fails to leave an impression due to its obvious mis-marketing as a horror film; there is no cannibalism to be had. The basic storyline is that the patriarch of a poor, Mexican family drops dead and leaves his widow and more importantly, his children, in charge of putting food on the table, or in this case: people. The youngest son steps up to the mantle and requests that the family follow him now; which doesn't sit well with his older, more impulsive brother and causes friction between the family. All of this sounds great on paper, especially when you factor in that the family members are all cannibals, but the execution is REALLY shoddy and focuses more on providing a social commentary on poverty instead of making good on the premise. Throughout the film, the characters constantly talk about a "ritual" that must urgently be performed, and yet, when the characters bring home two candidates (a prostitute and a homosexual) the others protest that will not eat such tainted meat; an interesting and damning parallel to spoiled food, but a ridiculous idea considering the ticking clock they apparently have. What frustrates me about this film is that it had so much potential to be really great, but nothing much of merit happens until the last twenty minutes when every character loses their marbles and start acting like morons and the film swiftly ends after a stand-off with the police. Hoping that the American remake does a better job with the material.
February 27, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
November 19, 2015
no explican como el papá fue envenenado...
½ September 10, 2015
Wow what a story! Not sure if it is really survivor for them, but it certainly life changing for this family and very good story.
½ October 27, 2014
ugh, i love the American remake, so i figured id check out the original, and boy is there no comparison. The US one is so much better, it saw the potential and just handled it in such a better way. This one has too much pointless family bickering, plus other scenes that just waste time, the subplot with the cop investigating is under developed and the cop is pretty stupid, nowhere near as compelling as Michael Parks in the remake, also i hated the way this one ended, plus you never find out why they eat people, just for no reason apparently, ugh it had some good music i guess, i just gotta give jim mickle credit for seeing the potential in the material
May 22, 2014
Wonderful social commentary and cannibalism...what more can one ask for? We are what we are is a brilliant, yet sad, story about a family of cannibals, whose patriarch dies and leaves the family in turmoil. The children comes to grips with their father's passing, and their new duties, while their mother wants to continue the rituals. Essentially cannibalism is an allegory for capitalism, which was very well done.

What really stands out is the acting. The family is so close knit and well done, especially Francisco Barriero as Alfredo.
½ May 14, 2014
a tragic horror film about a cannibalistic family doing what they have to do
you do feel a tad sorry for these people since they're cursed with being dependent on having to devour human flesh to survive
there's also quite a bit of dysfunction when it comes to who should be in charge of the responsibilities, the hard choices etc.
it's pretty gory and challenging
serving as social allegory for the less-fortunate beings of the world
someone has to live, someone has to die
March 24, 2014
Omg, Mexican dogtooth cannibal story
February 12, 2014
Macabre premise, but a well executed modern day cannibalism story.
February 4, 2014
this movie tried to creep people out and the underbelly of a broken down city. It just go cheesy and stupid. I would give this a lower rating if it wasn't for the pretty solid acting.
February 1, 2014
A well-made and provocative film, We Are What We Are is an interesting and relatively original examination of how family and tradition can warp us into monsters. Still, and I don't usually say this about horror films, but I felt that the film focused too much on the family's reactions to the loss of their father and too little on killing and eating people. It need more guts, gore, and violence to really drive its points home and keep from dragging.
January 28, 2014
Solid entertainment for horror/thriller fans.
January 28, 2014
Very intense, very different from the remake.
January 27, 2014
hungry cannibals-oh boy!
January 26, 2014
How the FUCK did this movie get 72% by the critics??? Did they watch the same pointless pretend horror but really just bleak uninteresting drama ???
January 23, 2014
I was lucky to catch this quality Mexican slow burn horror. Well... horror is the wrong word. Yes - It's about a family of cannibals - this much id fundamentally true. But the fantastic take on this basic description changes this film into something far more interesting, understated and fascinating. This film is about a family whose secret beliefs mean they must consume human flesh during strict rituals passed down from generation to generation. When the families father dies, they lose not only their closest relative but also the provider of flesh for their ritualistic lifestyle. Struggling to come to terms with this new direction who will take up the mantle to quench their desires and needs? I was impressed with how this subject matter was handled. It's more like a family drama than a horror but punctuated with enough violence and the odd bit of dark humour to make this a one of a kind. I recommend catching this one before the probably poor American remake makes a mockery of its memory.
½ December 15, 2013
Es increible el giro que esta tomando el cine latino mientras que se abre hacia otros generos, y esta pelicula mexicana "Somos lo que hay" demuestra el valor y las agallas que tiene el director al tratar un tema como el canibalismo en un ambiente puramente actual, abarcando tantos temas sociales pero que tristemente no profundiza en ninguno, dejando a su vez preguntas sin respuestas y un desarrollo bastante inconcluso.
December 7, 2013
WHo wrote this Movie Info segment? It was the mother who died not the father. It was the mother who always provided for the family...