Son of Godzilla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Son of Godzilla Reviews

½ March 28, 2016
This is the 8th Godzilla movie. It is better then most of the Godzilla movie made before it. The 16th Godzilla movie The Return of Godzilla is better. Still this a great movie. It is one of the best scenes fiction movie from the 60's. It is very scary. See it.
August 5, 2015
If you want to know my thoughts on this, read my review of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. I feel the exact same way about this film as I do about that film
June 21, 2015
½ October 25, 2014
Wtf were they thinking?
½ August 7, 2014
Another guilty pleasure, but I'd argue that it's legitimately good.
½ July 31, 2014
It works but it doesn't. There's parts I like and parts I hate. It's more of a minor Godzilla movie but it had a lot of potential.
July 16, 2014
I don't care what anyone says, I love this movie! It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously, but it's still a lot of cheesy fun. The acting is pretty good, and the monster effects are great! The fights, especially the last one, are awesome. A cheesy Godzilla movie, but a fun one!
½ July 9, 2014
one of the worst Godzilla movies
½ May 9, 2014
This doesn't feel right. Son of Godzilla was meant for a more family friendly affair, because a monster that destroyed Tokyo and was created from a nuclear weapon surely is the stuff kids are looking for. Seriously, this is like the crappiest Godzilla movie yet. It doesn't look good, it does nothing good, it's just not good.

First of all, Godzilla looks like shit. His eyes seem to be looking at two different sites at the same time, and his role as a "father" in this movie is terrible. It merely teaches kids to be mean to other kids. You know, for kids! Godzilla's son also looks crappy, and all of his scenes are shit, he literally acts like a human baby. Isn't this supposed to be an animal? How come that? He also looks crappy. For what I have gathered of information, the budget for this movie was low in comparison with other Godzilla movies. It surely looks like it, this movie is lackluster. It's the crappiest yet, crappier than King Kong vs Godzilla. To be fair, it's pretty entertaining, but it never feels compelling, it never feels like something that was worth the time. Godzilla first played volleyball, then he danced in space, and now he has fall down to its Batman & Robin-ish movie.

So far, it's the worst of the Godzilla movies, maybe a bit worse than Roland Emmerich's 1998 movie, but as close like a fly's wing to be it. The seriousness of the first movie has disappeared completely. But at least the damage wasn't that bad, as the saga still continues until today. Guess Godzilla is so powerful that a crappy movie about his son isn't enough to destroy him.
½ April 14, 2014
Godzilla, Minya, Kamacuras and Kumonga! Big time monster fun! Great movie for children. I grew up watching this on Super Scary Saturday on TBS. Giant insects, tropical island and a touching story of the King of the Monsters and his love for Minya, his son. A very heartwarming story.
March 17, 2014
I thought that this film was a nice change of pace and I have enjoyed it more than many of the preceding Godzilla sequels... The addition of Godzilla's son, although I have no idea who Mrs Godzilla is, was fun and light... That's a great way to describe the film all round really because the music at the beginning you knew it was going to be airy... But great monsters, an interesting story and a cute baby Godzilla, well it's just too good to miss!
½ March 5, 2014
How did the king of the monsters go from a city destroying threat to mankind down to this? This is unabashedly a children's movie that makes Godzilla no scarier than Barney the purple dinosaur and gives him an even sillier looking sun who just looks ridiculous. Small kids might get a kick out of it but for everyone else the lack of city destroying is simply lame
February 14, 2014
How on this world does somebody make a movie that is simultaneously A. Painfully adorable B. One of the most "enjoyable" Godzilla movies C. Awful on an objective level D. About The Cookie Monster turned into a raisin and his donkey/snowman hybrid of a son?
½ November 26, 2013
The weakest of the Showa series, it is still a great film its is just not as great as it could have been.
November 5, 2013
the worse entry so far, yes, but it could defiantly be worse.
½ October 6, 2013
This one of my least favourite Godzilla movies
April 28, 2013
This movie is filled with suspense, comedy and excellent cinematography throughout. From the moment the treacherous Godzilla makes his first appearance to the arguably greatest battle between opposing forces to the dramatic end, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat. This movie truly draws out your emotions as the innocent baby Godzilla is abused by both the enormous praying mantis and his own parent, only to be dragged away by its tail to be further isolated from society. My only complaint with this movie is its excessive budget creating a near life like experience, causing you to shake throughout your body in terror. If you have not had the pleasure to experience this true masterpiece, then please, look at yourself harshly for choosing to watch any other picture other than this film. If only we had this film earlier, the advancements in today's technologies and computer generated images would be beyond our imagination and movies could almost be as beautiful as this piece. So I ask, no beg, take some time out of your day to admire the work of the revolutionary artists that have created in-arguably the greatest film since the birth of the recording camera.
½ April 11, 2013
An abonimation of a Godzilla film. Worst ever. Seriously, a baby Godzilla that cries? C'mon. I highly recommend you skip this one if you're trying to watch all of the Godzilla films like I am.
March 15, 2013
Son of Godzilla strips away everything that set the other films quite memorable, and creates something silly, even by Godzilla standard. This has got to be the most ridiculous premise of a Godzilla film. This is a bland movie that just is dull from beginning to end. The plot is just awful and though the filmmakers tried something different, it just ends up a waste of time. The series by now is hit and miss, and it is a miss with this entry. The effects, which were quite good in past movies, are now pretty bad, and the film tries too hard at being something different and fun, but it simply isn't. I don't even know what the point of the film; this film was crap and lacked anything that made the other films entertaining. In the end, this plays out as a bad straight to DVD feature, even though this trash made it to theatres upon release. I wouldn't have been surprised if this entry would only have aired on TV back in the day. The film's performances are laughable; the dialogue is awful, silly and stupid. Of all Godzilla movies that I have seen, this is among the worst films that I have seen. The plot is far too silly and it is the type of film that will appeal to a much younger crowd. Godzilla films for me anyways were always about monster mayhem and delivering, fun, mindless. However this is just a film that isn't worth your time. I really hated the film, and I quite enjoyed the series up to this point, but with Son of Godzilla, the filmmakers have made one of the most boring movies in the series. Avoid it if you haven't seen it, you're not missing out.