Sorority Row - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sorority Row Reviews

February 23, 2017
All things considered, it could have been a lot worse.
November 2, 2016
Surprisingly funny remake of The House on Sorority Row. The standout here is Leah Pipes and queen bee, Jessica. Her one liners and bitchy attitude keep this fairly by the numbers slasher afloat. The last 10 minutes or so are a giant misfire, but there are quite a few fun moments before that. It's never very scary or even suspenseful, but the cast is above average for a film like this and there's a few great zingers (usually delivered by Pipes).
October 4, 2016
In general, Sorority Row is an outside film for its greatness, but to analyse its excellence in-depth is to potentially just end up becoming confused. The 2009 remake has symbolism, and style, but it doesn't have these things to the same level of clarity as Joe Chappelle's H6 (the theatrical cut), or The Terminator. The latter two films in their own ways dealt with symbolism and ideas that were more apparent, whereas Sorority Row's intelligence - while not technically inferior - is akin to the story, in that it's more of a buried factor.

The way a work of art gets assessed usually depends on a cultural context; who is the viewer that's assessing the product? And while Sorority Row could possibly be criticised for forcing a critic to have to recognise this truth, I would argue that Sorority Row isn't a failed work of art, or incorrect. I'm not familiar with the original film, but like the theatrical H6 doesn't need Carpenter's source material, or The Force Awakens doesn't need the 1977 Star Wars, the 2009 update seems to be an expression that is independent. Funnier, though maybe not more self-aware than Wes Craven's Scream, Sorority Row is wicked humour - the kind of humour that's especially effective if the film is experienced in certain contexts. The deaths of characters are funny, but because of the general nature of the project: to satirise society.
Even politicians are part of the story's fabric, clearly meant to imbue the film with serious outlooks on life. The symbolism of Sorority Row, again, is present but not overtly so. The confinement of settings makes it harder to deduce actual meaning, but the specific details that are shown are indeed meaningful: the way the main characters dress, always wearing silk clothing and high heels, seen holding bottles of alcohol and at times professional clothing.
In this respect, Leah Pipes' Jessica is particularly symbolic: prior to meeting her boyfriend's politician father, Jessica is seen looking at herself in the mirror, checking that her appearance is immaculate. The movie's intelligence is at a pea here, showing the viewer the truth of conflation - Jessica shouldn't be the person looking into the mirror, but should be the person who another looks into the mirror for.
Sorority Row is exploring the truth of traded identity.

As a pure slasher thriller, Sorority Row doesn't disappoint; to the contrary, the precise level of excellence of the remake is its thriller aspect working in conjunction with its humour, yet either are able to remain separate. The hooded figure stalking the occupants of the sorority is as cool and as entertaining as Ghostface, or Michel Myers (naturally, Myers is the more meaningful type of figure, but the screen presence of the two is generally equal in quality).
At the beginning, I referenced cultural contexts: to elaborate, I think what I'm getting at is that relative to actual intelligence, Sorority Row stands the test of time. The movie isn't dependent on culture, but is deserving of respect outside the paradigm of culture. Just like H6, and even films like Guilty as Sin and Saw II, I can't say I'm surprised by the low RT scores; Sorority Row is an unassuming work of art, hindered by its genre and by its literal synopsis.
The general atmosphere of the film is to represent the sourness of society - to expose the hidden depravity that a sorority inevitably means. There is the possibility that I'm giving the remake more credit than it deserves, and like I said Sorority Row is no H6, but I don't think I am: the horror element can be interpreted as philosophical depth, but I'm confident in my belief that the philosophy is another presence, not a mistaken identity of the story's horror elements.

Leah Pipes, Briana Evigan, Jamie Chung and Julian Morris are part of an expression, not limited to terror and traditional entertainment; the movie they're part of is as intelligent and as artistic as films like Rocky, Alien, Spectre and Taxi Driver.

Sorority Row is a great film.
½ July 22, 2016
One of the better remakes. The kills are inventive and so is the choice of weapon. Evigan as good girl Cassidy and Pipes as the bitch make it all the better.
½ July 22, 2016
i hated hated hated this movie
June 6, 2016
A dark comedy slasher remake of the 1983 film 'House on Sorority Row'. Off the bat, rubs people the wrong way being a dark comedy, slasher and a remake. While destined to be a failure, if you go in without any expectations or bias it'll surprise you. Leah Pipes steals the scene as the HBIC Jessica. Yes, she is horrible. Yes, the stuff that comes out of her mouth will rub people the wrong way. This movie isn't trying to be anything more than it is, a fun slasher flick with a hot cast and high body count.
½ October 31, 2015
The daughters of Bruce Willis and Greg Evigan team up in Sorority Row, a remake of the 1983 Horror classic, The House on Sorority Row. The remake is of course modernized and takes the classic independent horror film to the next level, with terrific effects, increased levels of fright and gore, and of course a ton of beautiful people. Where is this college and how soon can I apply?! Every guy and girl featured in the film, with the exception of Carrie Fisher, could be models, despite being well passed the age of most college students. The story starts out much like the original film does, with a Sorority prank that goes horribly wrong. The girls decide to cover up the incident and put it behind them, but at a large cost to their sisterhood. A year later, at the same party, someone knows what happened last year, and have decided to make the whole Sorority pay for their crimes. This film is a classic 'who done it' mashed together with a slasher film, and the results are pure excitement. The truth is that most of these film don't have much in the way of a story line and the killer is obvious to everyone, but not this time. This film is very reminiscent of Scream, and it really had me on the edge of my seat. A good Horror film is hard enough to find, but one with all that suspense and a compelling story to follow, that's worth it's weight in gold! Sorority Row is a perfect choice for those who want to spend Halloween, in front of the TV watching a scary movie!
October 23, 2015
Only good part of this film is Carrie Fisher with a shotgun!
October 22, 2015
I hate when I figure out the ending to a movie and who the killer is that easy... still a decent slasher with a bad motive.
October 19, 2015
Total rip off of Jawbreaker and I Know What You Did Last Summer, but not completely terrible.
October 2, 2015
It was fairly solidly bad and useless. The whole plot was just a mess. A bunch of hot girls in a mess of a revenge slasher, a completely crapier version of I Know What You Did Last Summer. Even when they made the sequel to that film, it was useless. It couldn't top the original. Anyway, it's an okay movie and hot girls will keep girls and guys both peeled to make it through the entire film.
½ August 27, 2015
Despicable characters and convoluted plot developments populate this bland slasher.
½ August 24, 2015
decent horror flick. The murders were done well but everything else was kind of lame.
August 22, 2015
I wanted to turn this movie off about 30 seconds in and it just got worse and worse from there. Incredibly predictable and formulaic. You can figure out the killer the second he is introduced. The ending gets convoluted, and no one's motivations are clear. Plus, everyone is a bitch. There are just degrees to how bitchy they are. There's mega bitch, stupid bitch, naive bitch, skanky bitch, judgmental bitch, and so on and so forth. Why am I supposed to care when any of them get killed? There is very little suspense until near the end and most of the kills happen quickly with little inspiration behind them.

This would have been so much better if (like the original movie) it was sort of comedic. The unique thing about the original was that it was sort of a goofy, dark comedy (like Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead) and became a really atmospheric slasher towards the end. This remake has nothing going for it. Nothing to make it stand out from many of the post-Scream era slashers. It's not even really a remake, so there's no point watching it for that. Basically, like most slashers and remakes, it's a pointless waste of time. And not a good one at that.
August 15, 2015
Wow - Teen slashers are back with a bang in this one! If you liked 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' you'll like this. Very similar storyline with a psycho killer seemingly intent on getting their revenge on a bunch of lovelies that got up to no good the previous year, but in this instance it's all set within the confides of an all girl school, clearly promoting the whole girl power thing. With plenty of scares, and plenty of gore, the action more than compensates for an albeit slightly traditional horror film ending. This has to be one of the best slasher films thats been released in a while, which is made all the more comical given the bitchiness between the female dominated cast. This movie is very recommendable and equally as good after a second viewing..............and a third viewing, but I'm STILL eagerly awaiting the potential sequel that the ending has suggested (and warranted)! I'm also left wondering how on earth Carrie Fisher managed to become more like Rikki Lake than the Chelsea bun stunner we all knew her as from the Star Wars films - certainly not up to the standard of the other fresher beauties (before they are all carved up via a pimped up tyre iron that is).
½ August 9, 2015
For being a fairly paint by numbers re-make of typical '80s slashers, I have to admit to enjoying this more than I expected to. I suppose I'm just an easy mark for Briana Evigan.

Granted, it's not re-inventing the wheel or anything, but as far as a fun timewaster, you could do worse.

Rental?
August 6, 2015
Sorority Row was just a major knockoff of the Scream and I know what you did last summer franchises. Everything from the caped, masked killer, to the group of girls throwing away a dead body after they accidentally killed someone. It was all predictable and not thrilling but it did have some exciting moments. The kills were all very gory and unique and the killers weapon of choice, a tire iron, made for something different then just a knife. What were supposed to be funny lines all fell flat and the horror moments, were pretty nonexistent. When you find out who the masked man is, it doesn't make any sense and the ending seemed rushed and underwhelming. This is pretty much an all girls version of Scream only without the comedy and nothing to set itself apart from the other teen, slasher flicks.
½ August 6, 2015
The story was good, but it pretty basic and was very similar to the Scream movies. Good acting, but crappy originality. However, I was still interested from the beginning and couldn't stop watching.
½ August 5, 2015
Not much driving this slasher besides a few pretty faces. The character's act in such an absurd manner that you find yourself actually on the side of the killer.
August 5, 2015
Sorority Row is creative and alluringly casted, but it isn't enough to save it from its formulaic plot and less-than-perfect thrills.