Southland Tales - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Southland Tales Reviews

September 3, 2017
Ah Richard Kelly, fucking my mind with every film. I'm going to say it right off the bat, this film is not perfect and this film is NOT for everyone. If you enjoyed Donnie Darko then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this movie as well. If you enjoy movies that bring up sociological, political, etc kinds of ideas then you might enjoy this film. You might also enjoy it if you hate America's arrogance and stupidity, which I definitely do. And finally, you might enjoy this film if you like movies that are unique, because I will say that I've never seen a movie like Southland Tales before in my life. While it may have similar ideas and presentation to Donnie Darko, comparing the two is like comparing apples and blueberries.

I will start off with some of the technical flaws of this film. The first being the length. This movie is over 2 hours long and it really didn't have to be, I believe Kelly wanted to show as much of this strange and exaggerated world as possible but it eventually becomes tedious and you are left yearning for a conclusion as soon as possible.

Onto the next flaw, the acting. This is has to do both with the large cast and the casting. I will say that this cast is varied, we have actors, comedians, musicians, and even a wrestler, and they're all acting. To put it simply, the musicians are the weakest part of the cast. Timberlake and Moore really have sub-par acting. Moore more so, she is quite simply horrible. I will give Timberlake some points though as even though his performance was sup-par, this is the best I've seen him in so far, so at least he is improving. Bai Ling though also gave a horrible performance, she was trying way too hard.

The rest of the cast gives great performances, especially The Rock and Gellar. Sean William Scott is also pretty good. One final tiny flaw in the acting, there were so many actors that it becomes somewhat overwhelming to remember who is who and with so many, each one doesn't get much screen time. Also, where the fuck was Kevin Smith? I've looked and looked and I still can't find him!

The story in itself is somewhat of a flaw. The plot of Southland Tales is very complex and confusing, I will admit. And people say the same thing about Donnie Darko, but I disagree. In my opinion, it lets the viewer come up with their own interpretations on what exactly is going on, something that I love about Kelly's films. I will say though that having to read 3 graphic novels to get the complete story was not really a good decision on Kelly's part. I understand that it was probably so that the film wouldn't be any longer than it already was, but I think he should of just broken it down into 2 films, but that also brings problems. Either way, you don't necessarily need to read the graphic novels to understand whats going on, as Kelly tries to fill in those holes throughout the movies, but I can understand why people will be annoyed and criticize it. Kelly did a similar thing in Donnie Darko, but in that case the reading material was not as essential as it is here, as in Darko the viewer is more free to create their own explanation than in Tales. Finally, there is the criticism that this film is pretentious, and that so is Donnie Darko, which I disagree. Both movies are complex and intricate which may look pretentious to some. In Tales its the fact that it is so over the top, but I think that's really one of the things that makes the film great. The only thing I will agree with that is a bit pretentious and unnecessary in Tales would be the Bible scriptures that Pilot (Timberlake) quotes often, and the overt symbolism. But that's it.

This movie overall is about the ridiculousness of the world we live in, especially the United States. That's the main idea that I got out of it. It shows the stupidity and hypocrisy and what they can lead too, a future that many will scoff at but one that I believe is quite possible with the way things are going. And it does this while being very satirical and full of black comedy and dealing with sci-fi elements, quantum physics, mysticism, and consciousness.

Finally as for the technical aspects of the movie, I will say that the editing in the movie could of been better. The camerawork was good, the special effects were used subtlety but well. And as for the music, it was perfect. Just as in Donnie Darko, Kelly sets the atmosphere and setting perfectly with the music choice, this is something that he really has a nack for.

In the end, this movie had a budget of $17 million dollars and made less than $500 thousand, it bombed and it bombed hard, just like Donnie Darko. Most people hated both and those that will see them will as well. Kelly seems to have a niche market which is a shame because I think he is truly a talented director. It seems that most people just don't want to think while watching movies anymore, which is a shame as Southland Tales is one hell of an experience that is distant but at the same time closer to reality than almost any other film.
August 13, 2017
Very underated film, way before its time. Great cast and intresting story. Funny and deep thinking
½ August 7, 2017
Extremely strange and very dense, Kelly replicates much of the schizophrenic sci-fi dimension-bending of his prior film (and bloody masterpiece), "Donnie Darko", putting it into a satire of politics, reality television and pop culture that is strangely more relevant and biting than it could ever have been at the time of release (a sad comment for us as a species). I'm not sure I understood half of it from one viewing (and I'm sure few did - ergo bad reviews), but damn if I'm not a sucker for complete mindfuck films. Repeat viewings are definitely in order.
July 17, 2017
I cannot honestly call Southland Tales one of the worst movies I've ever seen, solely because it is so egregious in its poor film making and story telling techniques that it transcends both art and trash collecting. Richard Kelly's anti-movie is so poorly conceived and executed, it's actually light years ahead of its time in postmodern stupidity. Mark my words, this modern day Plan 9 From Outer Space, with enough hokey effects and bizarre plot twist ideas (I say idea because nothing actually happens in the film due to phenomenally bad directing and writing), will one day become Generation Z's most cherished possession. Southland Tales proves that even Andy Warhol's drug induced self-absorption is nothing compared to a talented writer's spite. A regurgitated masterpiece that everyone should see, as its inanity will literally help your Chakras become balanced.
½ March 1, 2017
It feels like a bizarre mix of Blade Runner and Twin Peaks written by Bret Easton Ellis and adapted by Uwe Boll - ridiculous, pretentious, incomprehensible and full of tiring exposition from beginning to end about a universe that couldn't be more uninteresting.
½ November 18, 2016
3.5/5
Far more ambitious than "Donnie Darko", Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales" is not as successful a film but is not deserving of its 36% Rotten Tomatoes score or its reputation as a mess. It's a freaking oddball of a movie, replete with amazing detail and populated by a mostly intriguing ensemble cast.

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson is surprisingly funny, and Sarah Michelle Gellar reminds us how wasted her talents have been by hollywood.

Where this grand opera of apocalyptic chaos falls flat is with the casting of Sean William Scott as a central character. He's got no screen presence and he's kinda boring to watch, so the film, and its spidery narrative, lacks a keystone.

Still, it's an incredible film - something like a bastard child of Magnolia and Pulp Fiction, made with Kelly's stylish melding of cinematography and carefully considered soundtracking, literally breaking into a Justin Timberlake-led video clip at one point, and effectively so. It's worth watching.
September 12, 2016
Soutgland Tales is an underrated work of genius.
July 23, 2016
This movie apparently came out??? I've been waiting forever, why??
½ June 27, 2016
2.5

as someone who loved Donnie Darko (theatrical more so than the Director's Cut) I had high hopes for this...but never watched it due to the large consensus of poor reviews. Ultimately I'm glad i watched it, but it's a interesting jumble of a facinating mumbling mess. It's... how do I put this; it's like being at a gathering of friends who are all high as fuck and you're the only sober one. they are being super pretentious, talking a lot of nonsense about time/space and the universe and you're just all "wow...I wish I was as high as you all were because you all just sound stupid right now.". and it's sincere because, damnit, this movie has charm...it's unique...it's.. it's also gloriously ridiculous and it just kindof fails so spectacularly.
½ June 23, 2016
This movie was odd and reminiscent a lot of Donnie Darko at times. There were very confusing moments and others that made a lot of sense. It would probably make more sense after multiple viewings. Still it had a huge cast led by the Rock, Justin Timberlake, and Sean William Scott. Not a bad film and after thinking about it, I quite liked it. B
½ June 8, 2016
Literally ten years after its release, i finally found a moment to watch the wild child of director Richard Kelly. I really enjoyed the film, the many different narratives, the very "David Lynch" type of atmosphere, the camera work is at times exceptional, the cinematography is really good and the cast is used in some very interesting ways. This type of films never do really well at the box office and it's no surprises this one didn't find it's audience at the time. It's the type of films that ten years later , some nerdy dude like me re-watch it and say ... oh wait this is actually really good. Messy, raw and a little unpolished, but what the heck it gives character to a fascinating film. One can only Hope Mr. Kelly who seems to have disappeared a little bit from the movie scenes these past few years, comes back with an interesting project. The man has a very strong talent for storytelling and he does it in a way that has become his style. Wonderful experience.
½ June 3, 2016
When I asked the only two people I know personally that have seen Southland Tales what they thought of it, they both gave me the same answer "You'll either love it, or you'll hate it."

Lo and behold, in reality, I liked it.

I can't pretend I fully "got" it. But I definitely "liked" it.

It's no Donnie Darko, but it's better than The Box. It's a shame Richard Kelly stopped working, even if I haven't loved everything he's brought out, I absolutely adore his style.
June 1, 2016
A film I just don't know how to take, but bizarre enough to enjoy with one eyebrow raised in question.
½ May 17, 2016
a rather well done film.
April 19, 2016
I find it both shallow and pedantic. 4 stars. Myeah
March 20, 2016
It's astonishing how good Donnie Darko is, compared to how awful this movie is. Besides trying a share some common themes with the former, this film is an incoherent illogical pretentious poorly-acted underutilized shit storm with no redeeming qualities.
March 15, 2016
One of the worst movies ever made, and all the more enjoyable for it. This is Richard Kelly's Plan 9, his Troll 2, his Toxic Avenger - the fact this this isn't a cult classic yet is beyond baffling.
½ February 5, 2016
A complete waste.

Zero Stars
October 3, 2015
Bat shit crazy wonderful. Richard Kelly's oddball magnum opus is a beautiful mess of a film featuring Will Sasso and Jon Lovitz in dramatic roles, a TV commercial featuring two cars humping each other, Booger from The Revenge of The Nerds, a musical number halfway through starring Justin Timberlake (who also narrates the film), and the line "Pimps don't commit suicide." I am not making any of this up, I couldn't if I tried!