Southland Tales - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Southland Tales Reviews

September 12, 2016
Soutgland Tales is an underrated work of genius.
July 23, 2016
This movie apparently came out??? I've been waiting forever, why??
½ June 27, 2016

as someone who loved Donnie Darko (theatrical more so than the Director's Cut) I had high hopes for this...but never watched it due to the large consensus of poor reviews. Ultimately I'm glad i watched it, but it's a interesting jumble of a facinating mumbling mess. It's... how do I put this; it's like being at a gathering of friends who are all high as fuck and you're the only sober one. they are being super pretentious, talking a lot of nonsense about time/space and the universe and you're just all "wow...I wish I was as high as you all were because you all just sound stupid right now.". and it's sincere because, damnit, this movie has's's.. it's also gloriously ridiculous and it just kindof fails so spectacularly.
½ June 23, 2016
This movie was odd and reminiscent a lot of Donnie Darko at times. There were very confusing moments and others that made a lot of sense. It would probably make more sense after multiple viewings. Still it had a huge cast led by the Rock, Justin Timberlake, and Sean William Scott. Not a bad film and after thinking about it, I quite liked it. B
½ June 8, 2016
Literally ten years after its release, i finally found a moment to watch the wild child of director Richard Kelly. I really enjoyed the film, the many different narratives, the very "David Lynch" type of atmosphere, the camera work is at times exceptional, the cinematography is really good and the cast is used in some very interesting ways. This type of films never do really well at the box office and it's no surprises this one didn't find it's audience at the time. It's the type of films that ten years later , some nerdy dude like me re-watch it and say ... oh wait this is actually really good. Messy, raw and a little unpolished, but what the heck it gives character to a fascinating film. One can only Hope Mr. Kelly who seems to have disappeared a little bit from the movie scenes these past few years, comes back with an interesting project. The man has a very strong talent for storytelling and he does it in a way that has become his style. Wonderful experience.
½ June 3, 2016
When I asked the only two people I know personally that have seen Southland Tales what they thought of it, they both gave me the same answer "You'll either love it, or you'll hate it."

Lo and behold, in reality, I liked it.

I can't pretend I fully "got" it. But I definitely "liked" it.

It's no Donnie Darko, but it's better than The Box. It's a shame Richard Kelly stopped working, even if I haven't loved everything he's brought out, I absolutely adore his style.
June 1, 2016
A film I just don't know how to take, but bizarre enough to enjoy with one eyebrow raised in question.
½ May 17, 2016
a rather well done film.
April 19, 2016
I find it both shallow and pedantic. 4 stars. Myeah
March 20, 2016
It's astonishing how good Donnie Darko is, compared to how awful this movie is. Besides trying a share some common themes with the former, this film is an incoherent illogical pretentious poorly-acted underutilized shit storm with no redeeming qualities.
March 15, 2016
One of the worst movies ever made, and all the more enjoyable for it. This is Richard Kelly's Plan 9, his Troll 2, his Toxic Avenger - the fact this this isn't a cult classic yet is beyond baffling.
½ February 5, 2016
A complete waste.

Zero Stars
October 3, 2015
Bat shit crazy wonderful. Richard Kelly's oddball magnum opus is a beautiful mess of a film featuring Will Sasso and Jon Lovitz in dramatic roles, a TV commercial featuring two cars humping each other, Booger from The Revenge of The Nerds, a musical number halfway through starring Justin Timberlake (who also narrates the film), and the line "Pimps don't commit suicide." I am not making any of this up, I couldn't if I tried!
September 24, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. I think it's the kind of movie that you're not supposed to understand and digest in a single sitting. It's the kind of movie that you really have to think about to get.
September 21, 2015
Wow. This film blew me a devastating F-5 tornado that leaves destruction and despair in it's path. So much to like about this movie and so much to HATE. Never have I seen a more 50/50 film in my entire life. When it comes to the art of film making, most directors are like an artist with a paint brush-gradually creating a complete picture filled with intricate details and eye catching imagery. Richard Kelly, director of "Donnie Darko," hurls his ideas at you with the wild abandon of a kid with a paintball gun. I'd attempt to explain the plot, but star Wallace Shawn (whom they slapped a wig on, for crying out loud!) didn't even understand this thing so why should the audience be expected to?! Speaking of stars, EVERYONE turned out for this strange affair. The Rock is the most surprising. This is practically an art film and he specializes in brainless action/brainless kiddie movies. Seann William Scott, who specializes in brainless comedies, turns in a deathly serious performance as a cop. Justin Timberlake as a Bible-quoting trigger happy soldier who tries to fill in the blanks for us with voiceover narration to diminishing returns. (I can just hear the fictionalized Robert McKee in "Adaptation" bellowing at Kelly "God help you if you use voice-over in your work. That's flaccid, sloppy writing!") And then it's a veritable who's-who: Miranda Richardson as the villain? I guess she's the villain. It's never made entirely clear WHO she is. Christopher Lambert! Mandy Moore! Jon Lovitz as a badass cop! (What?!) And he's convincing! (WHAT?!?!) Bai Ling! (I adore her, so I paid extra close attention whenever she was onscreen. It didn't help any.) The late great Zelda Rubenstein! They're all thrown into this pot and out comes a strange looking, halfway inedible stew. I didn't like this movie, I didn't hate this movie, I don't know how I feel about this movie. I don't know if two stars is "just right" or "too many." I have just been utterly confounded by this movie-object. Touch it and it might bite your hand off. I only recommend you watch this movie if you want to watch a movie to which there is no equal to it in the entire film world, anywhere in the world. God bless America, and God help us all.
½ September 17, 2015
Las aventuras de Buckaroo Banzai de la octava dimensión pero mal hecha y pretenciosa.
August 7, 2015
Absolutely brilliant movie. I can actually call it my favourite.
½ August 1, 2015
An inexplicable film that seems to have been inspired by the equally incomprehensible "Masked and Anonymous" that featured a befuddled Bob Dylan and a cast of stars in cameo roles. In this cinematic abortion it's former SNL players that pop up like bed bugs in a flophouse, with a very sexy Cheri Oteri stealing the show as a vicious neo-Marxist. I'm sure The Rock would just as soon have this deleted from his CV.
July 19, 2015
I loved everything about it. What just happened?