Southland Tales Reviews

• Mar 14, 2019

Loved this movie, it's so deep about the future of social media and big data before it really happened.

• Dec 01, 2018

What a mess of a movie. Had great actors and unique graphics with a horrific story.

• Oct 14, 2018

Stargazers might enjoy this almost incomprehensible apocalyptic film written and directed by Richard Kelly.

• Jul 03, 2018

A mess, but an ambitious,weird mess, with lots of interesting ideas.

A mess, but an ambitious,weird mess, with lots of interesting ideas.

• May 18, 2018

Kelly 2013: "This work is the thing that I'm most proud of, and I feel like it's sort of the misunderstood child or the banished child." "The Village Voice" critic J. Hoberman: "'Southland Tales' is a visionary film about the end of times comparable in recent American film only to David Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive'". Who is David Lynch? (Mauro Lanari)

• Feb 26, 2018

very confusing & pointless.

very confusing & pointless.

• Oct 29, 2017

Easily a "so bad it's funny" or "guilty pleasure" movie! Very disappointing, since because it's from the sole writer and director of Donnie Darko!

• Aug 13, 2017

Very underated film, way before its time. Great cast and intresting story. Funny and deep thinking

• Aug 07, 2017

Extremely strange and very dense, Kelly replicates much of the schizophrenic sci-fi dimension-bending of his prior film (and bloody masterpiece), "Donnie Darko", putting it into a satire of politics, reality television and pop culture that is strangely more relevant and biting than it could ever have been at the time of release (a sad comment for us as a species). I'm not sure I understood half of it from one viewing (and I'm sure few did - ergo bad reviews), but damn if I'm not a sucker for complete mindfuck films. Repeat viewings are definitely in order.

• Jul 17, 2017

I cannot honestly call Southland Tales one of the worst movies I've ever seen, solely because it is so egregious in its poor film making and story telling techniques that it transcends both art and trash collecting. Richard Kelly's anti-movie is so poorly conceived and executed, it's actually light years ahead of its time in postmodern stupidity. Mark my words, this modern day Plan 9 From Outer Space, with enough hokey effects and bizarre plot twist ideas (I say idea because nothing actually happens in the film due to phenomenally bad directing and writing), will one day become Generation Z's most cherished possession. Southland Tales proves that even Andy Warhol's drug induced self-absorption is nothing compared to a talented writer's spite. A regurgitated masterpiece that everyone should see, as its inanity will literally help your Chakras become balanced.