Spring Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakers Reviews

August 13, 2017
Spring Breakers is the exact thing you expect by combing a visionary director, a
chameleonic actor and a Disney princess; a colorful mixture of excess that relies on the electronic soundtrack and the power of witty dialogues.
½ August 6, 2017
Party! Drinking! Drugs! Sex! Harmony Korine serves up all of them in this raunchy lust filled movie. The girls sure have a good time. Me? I thought it was boring.
½ August 2, 2017
This movie is original, ambitious, thrilling, and realistic. Despite its raunchy subject matter it's a must see
½ July 7, 2017
the most shit movie i have ever seen. DIdNT EvEn MAkE SENSE. I wish it was just the girls. i love girls. the faggy douche ruined it. I LOVE SELENA AND NESSA<3333 bbbbbb girls. I only watched this movie bc of them. DONT WATCH ITS LAME
½ July 6, 2017
Korine chose the perfect directional style for this. It's bright, vivid and downright absurd, fitting right in with the story. Franco is the star here, giving one of his most off the wall efforts. A lot of it shouldn't work at all, yet it does.
½ July 5, 2017
What a misogynistic piece of crap. I didn't know anything about this film going into it, but I knew within minutes that it was directed by man... and one that knows nothing about women. The characterizations are deeply offensive, the girls in this film are valued and feel valued only for their beauty and sexuality, and the film treats them the same. Every woman in this film, even the extras, are sexualized and exploited by men, and what's worse, they seem to be happy about it. The four main characters are less than people, they are pure creations of male adolescent fantasies, and perpetuate ridiculous "bad girl" ideas that look cool in movies but never actually happen. It's clear that writer/director Harmony Korine has never actually gone on spring break, he just watched a "Girls Gone Wild" video and assumed that's how it really is. I hate to break it to him, but college girls don't look, talk, or act like this, and the straight ones generally don't fuck each other either. Maybe this film started out as a criticism or cautionary tale of youth gone wild, but instead it glamorizes it. The story is over-the-top and the direction is pretentious and self-indulgent... but even so, I will admit that there is something strangely compelling about the film, with its vibrant colors, breathy voice-overs, and nonlinear transitions. And it's true what they say, James Franco is remarkable. But I just couldn't get past the blatant misogyny and imaginary depiction of lipstick-lesbians. I'm sure the director would say that I was missing the point, that it's supposed to be hyper-reality, and I get that. But there is no excuse for this kind of sexism in movies today, regardless of whatever point it is supposed to be making.
½ June 6, 2017
This movie is hella surprisingly good...what all would you do for Spring Break!!!?
½ June 2, 2017
3.6/5

The message the film wants to convey gets lost towards its ending, but the artistry and performances exhibited in the film are remarkable to say the least.
May 6, 2017
this is probably the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. It's so bad I can't even think about it without nearly vomiting.
April 28, 2017
Spring Breakers is a mesmerising film about the over indulgent nature of today's youth and shows so through brilliant cinematography and intense filmmaking. One of the more disturbing exploitation films about party culture.
April 19, 2017
it was waste of my time
April 17, 2017
Surprised me. Expected typical coming of age tale but was much darker and blunt. Best use of classic Britney songs in a film.
April 14, 2017
A decent movie with a surprisingly disappointing performance from James Franco, perhaps as it is a far different role to anything I've seen him in previously.
April 13, 2017
Totally didn't realize that this was a drama, wrote it off as a normal party movie/comedy goes to show u can't judge a book by its cover! Oh and ya know..Vanessa Hudgens, she's aiight ????????
April 10, 2017
Strange and hypnotic but ultimately too slow, unrealistic and just not enough good content. Very similar to the concept and style of "Natural Born Killers" but falls way short.
April 9, 2017
It may be a strange movie, but that is because it's trying to show the slippery slope that doing drugs and partying leads you down. I have just recently graduated from college and partying has done nothing to better my life whatsoever. I thought it was fun at the time, but it really just hurt me in the end. I think this movie sends a great message to seniors in high school looking forward to the party life in high school - it's not all it's cracked up to be. In fact, it can be very dangerous at times. I'm sure the audience thought they were going to see a fun party movie with laughs and sexiness, which is why it is not rated high by viewers.
April 6, 2017
This movies plot was flawed.. I think it was a highly unrealistic movie .. it's very "typical" for a group of teens to goin break , get arrested , bailed out , become drug dealers , and kill a "drug lord" all within a weeks time ? Yeah come on .. I gave one star due to the nudity involved .. this movie was painful to watch ... also , the cocking of the guns were ridiculously loud and annoying , we got it . They were to be " gangsta. "
½ March 28, 2017
I didn't expect to hate this film as much as I did, I watched it not expecting much, and well...that's exactly what I got! Sure the film looks good and the girls looked hot in their bikinis BUT! The acting was horrific apart from surprisingly.. Selena Gomez. I love James Franco but not in this movie, he looked stupid, was very repetitive ( in fact the whole film was) he sang a Britney Spears song and gave sexual pleasure to a couple of guns (very strange) All in all this has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Bleh!
½ March 16, 2017
Harmony Korine created a bizarre, self-aware, vicious, and alive exploration of all that he hates about this generation.
½ March 2, 2017
This movie made me feel like my brain puked. I've never had a hangover from watching a movie before.