Spring Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakers Reviews

April 28, 2017
Spring Breakers is a mesmerising film about the over indulgent nature of today's youth and shows so through brilliant cinematography and intense filmmaking. One of the more disturbing exploitation films about party culture.
April 19, 2017
it was waste of my time
April 17, 2017
Surprised me. Expected typical coming of age tale but was much darker and blunt. Best use of classic Britney songs in a film.
April 14, 2017
A decent movie with a surprisingly disappointing performance from James Franco, perhaps as it is a far different role to anything I've seen him in previously.
April 13, 2017
Totally didn't realize that this was a drama, wrote it off as a normal party movie/comedy goes to show u can't judge a book by its cover! Oh and ya know..Vanessa Hudgens, she's aiight ????????
April 10, 2017
Strange and hypnotic but ultimately too slow, unrealistic and just not enough good content. Very similar to the concept and style of "Natural Born Killers" but falls way short.
April 9, 2017
It may be a strange movie, but that is because it's trying to show the slippery slope that doing drugs and partying leads you down. I have just recently graduated from college and partying has done nothing to better my life whatsoever. I thought it was fun at the time, but it really just hurt me in the end. I think this movie sends a great message to seniors in high school looking forward to the party life in high school - it's not all it's cracked up to be. In fact, it can be very dangerous at times. I'm sure the audience thought they were going to see a fun party movie with laughs and sexiness, which is why it is not rated high by viewers.
April 6, 2017
This movies plot was flawed.. I think it was a highly unrealistic movie .. it's very "typical" for a group of teens to goin break , get arrested , bailed out , become drug dealers , and kill a "drug lord" all within a weeks time ? Yeah come on .. I gave one star due to the nudity involved .. this movie was painful to watch ... also , the cocking of the guns were ridiculously loud and annoying , we got it . They were to be " gangsta. "
½ March 28, 2017
I didn't expect to hate this film as much as I did, I watched it not expecting much, and well...that's exactly what I got! Sure the film looks good and the girls looked hot in their bikinis BUT! The acting was horrific apart from surprisingly.. Selena Gomez. I love James Franco but not in this movie, he looked stupid, was very repetitive ( in fact the whole film was) he sang a Britney Spears song and gave sexual pleasure to a couple of guns (very strange) All in all this has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Bleh!
½ March 16, 2017
Harmony Korine created a bizarre, self-aware, vicious, and alive exploration of all that he hates about this generation.
½ March 2, 2017
This movie made me feel like my brain puked. I've never had a hangover from watching a movie before.
½ February 17, 2017
Harmony Korine writes and directs Spring Breakers. A group of girls are all excited to go on spring break, but they don't have enough money to go. With all their friends going and they feel left out, they decide to rob a place to get the money.

They head down to Florida and deal with the glitz of spring break which includes the drinking, the sex, partying and the drugs. Enamored by the entire experience they are eager to do it again. Things do not go as smoothly the second time as they get arrested, only to be bailed out by a questionable character named Alien (James Franco). They start learning the less glamorous parts of spring break which includes some of the seedy characters, and the crime. Disenchanted by the process Faith (Selena Gomez) begs to go home and does so, leaving her friends behind. The rest continue to stay with alien and become absorbed by the whole lifestyle.

Spring breakers was a unique and originally shot film. The film is filled with color, brightness, and then contrasts of darker and dim shots for the darker elements of the spring break. The film starts by simply showing all the great parts of spring break with the drunk girls, the partying and fun. There is not much that the film does not hide with this regard. In some moments, the film almost feels like a documentary without any direction or people being interviewed. When the film does a 180 and gets darker the film remains interesting. The entire film seems like a long trip in many ways that probably accurately portrays much of the spring break experience. Franco (Alien) does a decent job of being distant, but unpredictable. Had the film done a better job investing with the characters and developing them more, the film would have had a much bigger impact. The film goes on a bit too long to get to the point and begins to drag. Instead the film feels like somewhat of a dark and long music video and does not live up to a lot of the potential it builds up for itself. The photography of the film more makes up for some of the stories short comings, but this movie will struggle with most audiences.

-2.17.2017
½ February 13, 2017
Shit movie. James Franco's performance was ok at best. Why this movie has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes is something I'll never understand.
February 10, 2017
I wasn't always sure what was going on or why but this film about four college students who go on a spree filled with crime and substance abuse, eerie encounters and hallucinogenic trips in an effort to escape their drab lives made a strong, candy-coated impression on me. The use of colour in this film is unlike anything I have ever seen before, from the red, white, and blue popsicles sucked on by the heroines to the pink mansion surrounded by a green moat at the end, every scene on the actual spring break is like an explosion in a glow stick factory. It's as if Harmony Korine wanted to go one better on the 'Wizard of Oz', starting off in colour instead of the black and white of Kansas in the old MGM musical, then, when the students get to Florida, exaggerating everything almost till your senses can't take it anymore. Unfortunately while the bulk of the creative effort appears to have been spent on the impressive and beautiful visual design (including superb, Oscar-worthy costume design), the story and characters were left more than a bit thin. There seems to be a confused message presented about guns and fun, the American Dream and its materialistic, morally vacant underpinnings but I'm afraid I couldn't quite make it out. On the one hand, people die and that isn't good but on the other hand this all seems to be way too much fun. Who cares about right or wrong, just dance.
½ January 18, 2017
Yes, Korine aims to deconstruct, and he creates an enthralling atmosphere in an immaculate way, but his thematic exploration is as banal as that Britney track.
January 7, 2017
Well directed, well acted, and well written until the second half where it loses the charm it created. Final act is an unrealistic mess.
December 26, 2016
it's incredible that a movie with the title of "Spring Breakers" bored me in such a way that I did not want to finish watching it, it's like a bad music video
December 16, 2016
Entertaining from beginning to end, with a combination of crazy, hilarity, and fun.
December 12, 2016
Spring Breakers Is a Weird and Mind Blowing Experience, That Depends Of Which Perspective You Want To See It, The Story Is Pretty Much Basic, But Is On You How Far Will You Take It, as a Plaine Movie About Girls Gone Wild Or as a Possibly Life Changing Movie That Mostly Comments On What Is Happening to the Millenial Generation
½ December 9, 2016
Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine): Candy-colored, synth pop-laced teenage debauchery.