Spring Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakers Reviews

½ March 9, 2018
IF YOU HAVE EVERY been in the game, or about that life you will love this movie. for the uninitiated it may be hard to comprehend the purpose of this movie. for those who've lived on the wrong side of the law ... two thumps up
½ March 1, 2018
It's more pretentious than thought-provoking.
November 30, 2017
One of the best movies ever made, what's wrong with the RT community?
½ November 12, 2017
Absolutely TERRIBLE movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WATCH!!!
½ November 9, 2017
One of my favorite comedies of all time.
½ October 29, 2017
What happens when going wild turns extremely deadly! That seems to be the question in Harmony Korine "Spring Breakers", an over-the-top film about 4 college friends who head off to spring break for a little R&R and end up on the wrong side of fun and danger. The movie tends to not know what it wants to say with the first half of the film being a moral lesson in excess, then the last half a lesson in crime. Most of the appeal of the movie stems from the controversy surrounding the fact that 2 of the female leads were trying to shed there "Disney Channel" image by being in a movie with violence and nudity. However, when all is said and done, the only thing this movie contributes is a bunch of eye candy with no moral lesson of what's good and bad about the days and nights of a bunch of spring breakers!
October 29, 2017
More drivel from shock artiste extraordinaire Harmony Korine. It's not as viscerally unpleasant as his other movies but it's definitely just as dumb. And it's not that I'm offended by purposefully dumb movies--not at all, they can be very amusing--but the pretension of social commentary is too much to tolerate.
½ October 28, 2017
Who would have thought that Harmony Korine's candy-colored fleshfest "Spring Breakers" would be so unsatisfying? But that seems to be the point. While watching the movie I kept searching for ways to "make it work" but couldn't. Not as a bacchanal - I found the quick cuts clinical and unsexy. Not as a gangster movie - James Franco was more clown than crime boss. Not as a parody - it's too dreamlike and not funny enough. Not even as Korine's standard detached documentary - the characters have no depth, there are no real connections.

"Julien Donkey-Boy", a previous Korine film also featuring dysfunctional weirdos, offers moments of real emotional connection. There's a touching scene where Chloe Sevigny is pretending to channel the deceased mother of Julien (Ewen Bremner). But in "Spring Breakers" everything is detached and suspect, you can never quite believe what is happening onscreen. Would four naive-seeming co-eds don ski masks and rob a restaurant with squirtguns and a mallet? Would they exalt afterwards?

Throughout the film Korine has you asking such questions. Every time you think the film is hewing to a narrative type (coming-of-age, redemption, documentary) you are thrown off base. So James Franco's "Alien" character initially seems ridiculous, then briefly menacing. The next time you see him he's jumping up and down on a bed while holding on to two machine guns saying "Look at my shit!" in a very non-menacing, non-gangster way. This is not an organic change, it's just an inconsistency.

Motion in this movie is created by the scrambling of these filmic conventions, rather than through character development. This feels unsatisfying, and throws into relief the tacit agreement we ordinarily make with films: a willingness to trade the enjoyment that comes from having unspoken conventions met - for example the revenge narrative - in exchange for accepting poor writing, no semblance of real life, and a conventional, cowardly point-of-view.

Other disruptive films, for some reason I think of atmospheric French films, simply deny the viewer the usual pleasurable sign-posts. Spring Breakers shows them in brightly-colored glory, only to have them fade and blur in close-up.
½ October 22, 2017
The way in which the story was told was of some interest. The peak of the crescendo wasn't what I was looking for. The nudity and violence gave this movie more interest.
½ October 16, 2017
Spring Breakers is an odd film, the first roughly forty minutes is trash tier nonsense minus a few effective scenes. You do have the sense there is a point to what you're seeing, though I wasn't quite sure what and I still felt as though I was watching artful yet trashy MTV, and on finishing it I still didn't know the names of the 3 main girls but... There's something about Spring Breakers, something that sticks with you. It definitely has a point, though I'm not sure exactly what that point is but this movie is... Art? Any movie is but this is particularly arty. The colours in this movie go with the music, the shots, the voice over, James Franco's whispering and it turns into something quite mesmerizing. I felt almost hypnotized watching the second half of this movie, hypnotized and deeply uncomfortable. This movie is kind of a satire, kind of a black comedy and kind of a thriller and I'll be damned if it didn't kind of work! If you push through 40 minutes of obnoxiousness, drinking, twerking and obnoxiousness you suddenly have something kind of brilliant. Does it all work? No. The 4 main girls are, for the most part, relatively one note and the constant compilations of partying give a sense of a 90 minute movie that desperately needed padding and there are few people to actually resonate with in the story. But push through that first half and you have a neon drenched, musically hypnotic, demented piece of art with a truly scenery chewing Franco and two actresses very committed to going all out (couldn't tell you who the actresses are because the characters were kind of impossible to distinguish) and it creates something that is actually kind of stunning though definitely not for everyone. An art movie, a very trashy art movie.
½ October 15, 2017
An under-appreciated exploitation type film. James Franco does a character that must be seen to be believed.
½ September 6, 2017
Dark but some visually cool looking scenes.
August 26, 2017
Tedious. I was surprised this was not a Terrence Malick film.
August 23, 2017
This is a great film that is not for everyone. The whole cast is great and a blast to watch. The film is definitely heavier on style than substance but it's still got a lot going on if you're willing to look for it.
August 13, 2017
Spring Breakers is the exact thing you expect by combing a visionary director, a
chameleonic actor and a Disney princess; a colorful mixture of excess that relies on the electronic soundtrack and the power of witty dialogues.
½ August 6, 2017
Party! Drinking! Drugs! Sex! Harmony Korine serves up all of them in this raunchy lust filled movie. The girls sure have a good time. Me? I thought it was boring.
½ August 2, 2017
This movie is original, ambitious, thrilling, and realistic. Despite its raunchy subject matter it's a must see
½ July 7, 2017
the most shit movie i have ever seen. DIdNT EvEn MAkE SENSE. I wish it was just the girls. i love girls. the faggy douche ruined it. I LOVE SELENA AND NESSA<3333 bbbbbb girls. I only watched this movie bc of them. DONT WATCH ITS LAME
½ July 6, 2017
Korine chose the perfect directional style for this. It's bright, vivid and downright absurd, fitting right in with the story. Franco is the star here, giving one of his most off the wall efforts. A lot of it shouldn't work at all, yet it does.
½ July 5, 2017
What a misogynistic piece of crap. I didn't know anything about this film going into it, but I knew within minutes that it was directed by man... and one that knows nothing about women. The characterizations are deeply offensive, the girls in this film are valued and feel valued only for their beauty and sexuality, and the film treats them the same. Every woman in this film, even the extras, are sexualized and exploited by men, and what's worse, they seem to be happy about it. The four main characters are less than people, they are pure creations of male adolescent fantasies, and perpetuate ridiculous "bad girl" ideas that look cool in movies but never actually happen. It's clear that writer/director Harmony Korine has never actually gone on spring break, he just watched a "Girls Gone Wild" video and assumed that's how it really is. I hate to break it to him, but college girls don't look, talk, or act like this, and the straight ones generally don't fuck each other either. Maybe this film started out as a criticism or cautionary tale of youth gone wild, but instead it glamorizes it. The story is over-the-top and the direction is pretentious and self-indulgent... but even so, I will admit that there is something strangely compelling about the film, with its vibrant colors, breathy voice-overs, and nonlinear transitions. And it's true what they say, James Franco is remarkable. But I just couldn't get past the blatant misogyny and imaginary depiction of lipstick-lesbians. I'm sure the director would say that I was missing the point, that it's supposed to be hyper-reality, and I get that. But there is no excuse for this kind of sexism in movies today, regardless of whatever point it is supposed to be making.