Star Trek: First Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: First Contact Reviews

½ April 11, 2018
as a star trek novice (but a big sci-fi fan) i questioned how much this movie would appeal to me. it surpassed expectations. the film is easy to follow and there's nothing overtly complicated because of being a novice. the plot isn't necessarily unique, but the details of it are. it's a very good storyline that still holds up well after 22 years.
April 10, 2018
The best one yet in my opinion. So much to love about this one. I love the intense plot involving the Borg on the Enterprise. It was just some classic space zombie fun! And the other plot line involving the "First Contact" itself is just everything a Star Trek fan should want to see. It is the true origin story for this crazy over idealized fantasy world. Plus, the music in this movie is beyond amazing. I never get tired of listening to it. It is a true masterpiece work piece for Jerry Goldsmith.
April 7, 2018
Dark, gritty, and somehow hopeful at the same time. The time travel mechanics can be criticized but the performance of Patrick Stewart and the chemistry of this cast is outstanding. It was great to see this team in a classic Star Trek storyline (time travel) with one of the best villains (in the Borg). Very fun movie, "the line must be drawn HERE".
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
no one knows if cyborg technology is possible, but if it is, then Star Trek the Next Generation is what gave us one of our first glimpses at this idea, and with the First Contact, they go full force with it.

First Contact revolves around Captain Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise having constant flashbacks to his time when he was Locutus, his Borg Persona. While these flashbacks are happening, the Borg are starting to strike back and go for the ultimate blow, they go back in time to stop man having first contact with the Vulcan Race, so its up to Picard and his team from the series to go back in time to fight his old enemy.

The whole cast from the show returns in this film like in Generations and the two sequels after this, and they all do their usual great jobs, especially Patrick Stewart as Picard. Stewart was always one of my favorite actors and he always played my favorite captain out of the two main captains from the two main series, and here he goes all out because this movie mainly focuses on him and his struggles with the borg. The two new actors are JAmes Cromwell, Alice Krige, and Alfre Woodard and they all do very well for one time characters in this film. James Cromwell does very good at playing the alcoholic pilot Zefram, he's both a funny character and a serious character just being a drunk trying to make sense of everything, and Woodard does a good job as his best friend who is stuck on the Borg ship trying to get out. Though the one person who steals the show in terms of newcomers is Alice Krige as the Borg Queen, she is just chillingly well acted and she is up there with some of the creepiest villains of all time. You may have known Krige as Morgana in the Sorcerers Apprentice or Christabella in the Silent Hill movie, which she also does very creepily well. The villains in general are also very creepy and many points in the movie actually scared me and they made the film feel like a horror movie and though I will admit that that feels weird for a star trek movie, it is very well done.

Though many of the Star Trek movies are very slow films and are very long with very little amounts of big entertainment value, but to me, this is the most entertaining of the star trek movies, and while I like Generations, Search for Spock, and think that Journey Home is funny, they just don't hold a candle to the entertainment that this movie gives to the viewer. The effects look great, the characters are well acted and developed, the action is spectacular, the film has some good comedic moments, and the entertainment value is fantastic. If you can see any star trek movies, see this one.

My overall rating
4.5*s out of 5
½ March 26, 2018
A gorgeous film. One of the best Star Trek films to date.
March 14, 2018
First contact the second in the TNG series is a good movie, it has decent direction and cinematography, good action sequences, decent acting and a great score. it is not a surprise that this is one of the highest rated star trek movies in the entire collection. The story line with data and the borg queen is good. There is a down side, the story itself suffers from some structural problems, and plot holes and a story line that is not always coherent. the nature of the characters are a bit different than on the tv episode, picard is angrier and trigger happy and star fleet is much more militarized for a typical star trek. their is too much going on, the borg plans seems to be to stop first contact but also to go back in time to simply assimilate humans on earth and to build an arry to call more borg to the site. BUt if the borg have time travel technology they can simply go back and assimilate them before they make first contact. all in all it is a good movie but it shows the weakness of the tng series of star trek that seems to be willing to sacrifice some trekkiness for an action fillm, at least this one is well made.
March 4, 2018
The cliches and time travel made it a bit weak. I did enjoy the Borg, but felt that overall it could have been better. I am not a fan of Krige in this role. The whole subplot with Cochrane distracted from the best parts with its primitive entertainment of moon shine, and rock and roll.
February 14, 2018
9.8/10 The best Star Trek movie, First Contact is probably one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, too. I highly recommend.
January 22, 2018
Other than the 3 Abrams-era entries, all the Star Trek films are really just long, high-budget episodes of the shows that would probably mean little to and even annoy those who aren't familiar with the tone and pacing. Otherwise, this is easily the best of all the TNG films. Great thoughts on historical legacies, philosophical questions about autonomy, patience and beauty in the space fights, and maybe my favorite villain in all of Star Trek.
January 6, 2018
Fantastic Star Trek action movie, even though the Borg (especially the Queen and her relationship with Picard/Data) aren't all that well written.
January 3, 2018
great expansion of the series
December 29, 2017
Best of the Next Generation movies.
½ December 19, 2017
The best of TNG forays into movies.
December 18, 2017
best star trek movie ever. magnificent excelent CGI and special effects. no issues whatsoever. watch it if you love TNG.
December 17, 2017
Probably the best Trek film of all time and the defining moment of The Next Generation.
September 11, 2017
Easily the best Star Trek movie.
½ August 14, 2017
Most people claim that Star Trek: First Contact is the best of the films starring the Next Generation cast. I imagine that?s probably true because this movie is a big improvement on their first attempt. There is a lot of fun elements to First Contact because it involves time travel, and shares some of humanity?s future history for us. The Borg are also one of the most memorable villains from the TV series, and they instantly add personal stakes for Picard and the rest of his crew. I?m not sure why Picard was put back in control of a starship if he wasn?t trusted to deal with the Borg, but I just assume some forgiving Admiral thought they?d give him a chance despite his past. Either way, the adventure starts quickly and gets you excited immediately about the journey they are embarking on.

Now I wish I could say that this film was flawless, but it definitely is not. The first problem is one that you almost have to forgive, because it?s the standard plot hole made in many time travel movies. The simple question that makes this whole movie fall apart if you think about it too much is ?Why don?t the Borg just go back further in history, so the Earth will be easier to conquer without a time crunch, instead of arriving at the last minute before First Contact?? The slightly more baffling question I ask myself is ?Why do the Borg come close to Earth before going back in time so that they draw attention to what they?re doing, instead of going back in time first from their own quadrant and then approaching Earth in the past when Starfleet defenses didn?t even exist??

Logic plot holes like that are annoying, and I do my best to just turn off that part of my brain while watching the film. However, there is one aspect that I can?t ignore when I see Star Trek: First Contact, and that is the personality of Jean-Luc Picard. He is so thoroughly unpleasant in this film. I mean he is angry, overly aggressive, insubordinate, and murderous. It is so far from the character I knew and enjoyed from the TV show. They do their best to explain his personality flaws late in the film with the Captain Ahab discussion, so it?s not a complete disaster in the script, but that doesn?t change the fact that he?s been so vicious and unlikable up to that point. It?s as if they wanted to shift Picard into being this tough-as-nails action hero, but they should have left that stuff to Worf or Riker.

The storyline of Zefram Cochran gets short shrift in the film, but those scenes aren?t bad. I think his reluctance to become a celebrity fits with that character. I also think it?s funny how aggressively the crew of the Enterprise help him with basically no fear of messing up history. A little more time on Earth and not on the Enterprise would have been a good idea, I think. I also liked the addition of the Borg Queen, she was a good way of giving a face to the enemy. She might have had a bit too much personality and individuality to fit in with this hive mind villain, but it works in a movie because we need to quickly hate and fear them, where mindless automatons might not have the same effect. There are a few other nitpicks I have with Star Trek: First Contact, but despite its flaws it is an entertaining film. It?s just sad if this is the best that we could get on the big screen for the amazing group of characters established in the Next Generation TV series.
½ June 26, 2017
This is one of the best Star Trek films yet. The cast is great, the plot is great and the movie is really exciting.

9.0/10
May 14, 2017
Saw this with the kids this past summer (of 2016). If I remember correctly, we all liked it.
½ May 5, 2017
Interesting take on the Internet which would have been junior at this time, with the Borgs wirelessly connecting to a neural network in order to rapidly share and learn. Androids making whoopy, Captain Kirk in a tuxedo blasting a tommy gun, and Patrick Stewart in a vest.