Star Trek: First Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: First Contact Reviews

February 14, 2018
9.8/10 The best Star Trek movie, First Contact is probably one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, too. I highly recommend.
January 22, 2018
Other than the 3 Abrams-era entries, all the Star Trek films are really just long, high-budget episodes of the shows that would probably mean little to and even annoy those who aren't familiar with the tone and pacing. Otherwise, this is easily the best of all the TNG films. Great thoughts on historical legacies, philosophical questions about autonomy, patience and beauty in the space fights, and maybe my favorite villain in all of Star Trek.
January 6, 2018
Fantastic Star Trek action movie, even though the Borg (especially the Queen and her relationship with Picard/Data) aren't all that well written.
January 3, 2018
great expansion of the series
December 29, 2017
Best of the Next Generation movies.
½ December 19, 2017
The best of TNG forays into movies.
December 18, 2017
best star trek movie ever. magnificent excelent CGI and special effects. no issues whatsoever. watch it if you love TNG.
December 17, 2017
Probably the best Trek film of all time and the defining moment of The Next Generation.
September 11, 2017
Easily the best Star Trek movie.
½ August 14, 2017
Most people claim that Star Trek: First Contact is the best of the films starring the Next Generation cast. I imagine that?s probably true because this movie is a big improvement on their first attempt. There is a lot of fun elements to First Contact because it involves time travel, and shares some of humanity?s future history for us. The Borg are also one of the most memorable villains from the TV series, and they instantly add personal stakes for Picard and the rest of his crew. I?m not sure why Picard was put back in control of a starship if he wasn?t trusted to deal with the Borg, but I just assume some forgiving Admiral thought they?d give him a chance despite his past. Either way, the adventure starts quickly and gets you excited immediately about the journey they are embarking on.

Now I wish I could say that this film was flawless, but it definitely is not. The first problem is one that you almost have to forgive, because it?s the standard plot hole made in many time travel movies. The simple question that makes this whole movie fall apart if you think about it too much is ?Why don?t the Borg just go back further in history, so the Earth will be easier to conquer without a time crunch, instead of arriving at the last minute before First Contact?? The slightly more baffling question I ask myself is ?Why do the Borg come close to Earth before going back in time so that they draw attention to what they?re doing, instead of going back in time first from their own quadrant and then approaching Earth in the past when Starfleet defenses didn?t even exist??

Logic plot holes like that are annoying, and I do my best to just turn off that part of my brain while watching the film. However, there is one aspect that I can?t ignore when I see Star Trek: First Contact, and that is the personality of Jean-Luc Picard. He is so thoroughly unpleasant in this film. I mean he is angry, overly aggressive, insubordinate, and murderous. It is so far from the character I knew and enjoyed from the TV show. They do their best to explain his personality flaws late in the film with the Captain Ahab discussion, so it?s not a complete disaster in the script, but that doesn?t change the fact that he?s been so vicious and unlikable up to that point. It?s as if they wanted to shift Picard into being this tough-as-nails action hero, but they should have left that stuff to Worf or Riker.

The storyline of Zefram Cochran gets short shrift in the film, but those scenes aren?t bad. I think his reluctance to become a celebrity fits with that character. I also think it?s funny how aggressively the crew of the Enterprise help him with basically no fear of messing up history. A little more time on Earth and not on the Enterprise would have been a good idea, I think. I also liked the addition of the Borg Queen, she was a good way of giving a face to the enemy. She might have had a bit too much personality and individuality to fit in with this hive mind villain, but it works in a movie because we need to quickly hate and fear them, where mindless automatons might not have the same effect. There are a few other nitpicks I have with Star Trek: First Contact, but despite its flaws it is an entertaining film. It?s just sad if this is the best that we could get on the big screen for the amazing group of characters established in the Next Generation TV series.
½ June 26, 2017
This is one of the best Star Trek films yet. The cast is great, the plot is great and the movie is really exciting.

9.0/10
May 14, 2017
Saw this with the kids this past summer (of 2016). If I remember correctly, we all liked it.
½ May 5, 2017
Interesting take on the Internet which would have been junior at this time, with the Borgs wirelessly connecting to a neural network in order to rapidly share and learn. Androids making whoopy, Captain Kirk in a tuxedo blasting a tommy gun, and Patrick Stewart in a vest.
March 25, 2017
awesome movie. best ever from all star trek franchise EVEN UP TO DATE. awesome special effects.
½ January 24, 2017
After the likable but the flawed Generations film this is the first Star Trek film featuring none of the original cast and carries the tradition of giving one of the cast members a chance at directing in the form of Jonathan Frakes who plays Riker and this is easily the best film from the New Generation. Featuring a menacing force in the form of the Borg adds a great deal of threat and tension to the whole plot with the first act having a riveting series of action scenes and a fast paced feel. The additional cast to the recurring cast members are solid, it looks great, love the score and the script works with its themes of humanity and knowing when to accept defeat.
January 19, 2017
A good linkage of star trek lore between how we get to the 23rd century Star Trek TOS and meet the brethren Vulcans despite those nasty Borgs
½ January 11, 2017
Resistance is futile - you will love it.
December 29, 2016
If Wrath of Khan didn't exist, this would be the best of the franchise. On its own, its a brilliant intellectual sci-fi film that makes connections to Moby Dick.
½ December 23, 2016
The eighth Star Trek film (and second of The Next Generation) boasts incredible special effects and makeup, as well as an urgent plot and a most sinister, terrifying villain - and the subplot involving Data captured by the Borg is certainly the best thing in it.
December 22, 2016
A cracking entry in the Star Trek franchise, such a shame they never seem to make good movies in a row. The Borg are back, and this time they look to change history and assimilate Earth in the past, only one ship can stop them and it is the Enterprise. Strong performances all around give the Characters depth. This is the last good Star Trek movie till the Reboot.