Star Trek: First Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek: First Contact Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
Most people claim that Star Trek: First Contact is the best of the films starring the Next Generation cast. I imagine that?s probably true because this movie is a big improvement on their first attempt. There is a lot of fun elements to First Contact because it involves time travel, and shares some of humanity?s future history for us. The Borg are also one of the most memorable villains from the TV series, and they instantly add personal stakes for Picard and the rest of his crew. I?m not sure why Picard was put back in control of a starship if he wasn?t trusted to deal with the Borg, but I just assume some forgiving Admiral thought they?d give him a chance despite his past. Either way, the adventure starts quickly and gets you excited immediately about the journey they are embarking on.

Now I wish I could say that this film was flawless, but it definitely is not. The first problem is one that you almost have to forgive, because it?s the standard plot hole made in many time travel movies. The simple question that makes this whole movie fall apart if you think about it too much is ?Why don?t the Borg just go back further in history, so the Earth will be easier to conquer without a time crunch, instead of arriving at the last minute before First Contact?? The slightly more baffling question I ask myself is ?Why do the Borg come close to Earth before going back in time so that they draw attention to what they?re doing, instead of going back in time first from their own quadrant and then approaching Earth in the past when Starfleet defenses didn?t even exist??

Logic plot holes like that are annoying, and I do my best to just turn off that part of my brain while watching the film. However, there is one aspect that I can?t ignore when I see Star Trek: First Contact, and that is the personality of Jean-Luc Picard. He is so thoroughly unpleasant in this film. I mean he is angry, overly aggressive, insubordinate, and murderous. It is so far from the character I knew and enjoyed from the TV show. They do their best to explain his personality flaws late in the film with the Captain Ahab discussion, so it?s not a complete disaster in the script, but that doesn?t change the fact that he?s been so vicious and unlikable up to that point. It?s as if they wanted to shift Picard into being this tough-as-nails action hero, but they should have left that stuff to Worf or Riker.

The storyline of Zefram Cochran gets short shrift in the film, but those scenes aren?t bad. I think his reluctance to become a celebrity fits with that character. I also think it?s funny how aggressively the crew of the Enterprise help him with basically no fear of messing up history. A little more time on Earth and not on the Enterprise would have been a good idea, I think. I also liked the addition of the Borg Queen, she was a good way of giving a face to the enemy. She might have had a bit too much personality and individuality to fit in with this hive mind villain, but it works in a movie because we need to quickly hate and fear them, where mindless automatons might not have the same effect. There are a few other nitpicks I have with Star Trek: First Contact, but despite its flaws it is an entertaining film. It?s just sad if this is the best that we could get on the big screen for the amazing group of characters established in the Next Generation TV series.
½ June 26, 2017
This is one of the best Star Trek films yet. The cast is great, the plot is great and the movie is really exciting.

9.0/10
May 14, 2017
Saw this with the kids this past summer (of 2016). If I remember correctly, we all liked it.
½ May 5, 2017
Interesting take on the Internet which would have been junior at this time, with the Borgs wirelessly connecting to a neural network in order to rapidly share and learn. Androids making whoopy, Captain Kirk in a tuxedo blasting a tommy gun, and Patrick Stewart in a vest.
March 25, 2017
awesome movie. best ever from all star trek franchise EVEN UP TO DATE. awesome special effects.
½ January 24, 2017
After the likable but the flawed Generations film this is the first Star Trek film featuring none of the original cast and carries the tradition of giving one of the cast members a chance at directing in the form of Jonathan Frakes who plays Riker and this is easily the best film from the New Generation. Featuring a menacing force in the form of the Borg adds a great deal of threat and tension to the whole plot with the first act having a riveting series of action scenes and a fast paced feel. The additional cast to the recurring cast members are solid, it looks great, love the score and the script works with its themes of humanity and knowing when to accept defeat.
January 19, 2017
A good linkage of star trek lore between how we get to the 23rd century Star Trek TOS and meet the brethren Vulcans despite those nasty Borgs
½ January 11, 2017
Resistance is futile - you will love it.
December 29, 2016
If Wrath of Khan didn't exist, this would be the best of the franchise. On its own, its a brilliant intellectual sci-fi film that makes connections to Moby Dick.
½ December 23, 2016
The eighth Star Trek film (and second of The Next Generation) boasts incredible special effects and makeup, as well as an urgent plot and a most sinister, terrifying villain - and the subplot involving Data captured by the Borg is certainly the best thing in it.
December 22, 2016
A cracking entry in the Star Trek franchise, such a shame they never seem to make good movies in a row. The Borg are back, and this time they look to change history and assimilate Earth in the past, only one ship can stop them and it is the Enterprise. Strong performances all around give the Characters depth. This is the last good Star Trek movie till the Reboot.
½ December 22, 2016
This is one of the best Star Trek movies to date. The Borg are always a great villain, and getting to go back in time and see some of the origins of Star Trek is fantastic. The cast is great as always, and the movie is sure to be enjoyable for fans of the Star Trek franchise.
½ November 19, 2016
The only truly great Next Generation movie. The greatest threat this crew ever faced on the show was the Borg. It was the right move to bring them in as the villainous threat. If only the other Next Generation movies could've been this damn good.
½ November 11, 2016
First Contact's time traveling plot might be confusing at first, but the characterizations, writing, and performances eventually create an interesting and entertaining space adventure.
½ November 10, 2016
así se sienta menos aburrida, no me gustan estos personajes no sus historias.
November 6, 2016
Best of the NG films.
½ October 24, 2016
Probably the last great Star Trek movie starring the Next Generation cast. Has everything in it, and is only behind the Voyage Home in terms of favourite Star Trek movies for me. Recommend for sure.
September 10, 2016
One of the best pieces of science fiction ever, even if you've never seen the series. The writer is so good. The ideas presented are thought provoking. There is humor at the end of each scene. You'll enjoy this ride.
½ September 5, 2016
Well made, acted and a great story. Most exciting TNG movie.
August 26, 2016
First Contact boasts a big budget feel and a lot of action, and a intriguing plot. The characters are good, the effects are mostly great, and the ending is memorable. The only problem is that it doesn't stand on its own too well, leaving little to know for those who aren't familiar with the series.