Star Trek - Nemesis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek - Nemesis Reviews

July 29, 2016
By far the worst Star Trek movie ever.
½ July 23, 2016
The worst Trek flick, Star Trek Nemesis is the first in a trilogy of Wrath Of Khan ripoffs.
½ July 20, 2016
It's difficult for a particular franchise of films to live on for an extended period of time, let alone a long TV series and 4 feature films. With uninspired direction and a gradually silly film, It seems that after 15 years, this iteration of the Enterprise crew just ran out of gas.

Though 'Insurrection' did well at further developing the crew of the Enterprise, 'Nemesis' puts a heavy focus on its villain. This time played by newcomer (at the time) Tom Hardy. Hardy plays Shinzon, a mysterious character hell-bent on completing his Romulan mission with a background linked to Captain Picard himself. Although the dialogue isn't always the best, Hardy shows just how good of an actor he would become, especially up against someone as revered as Patrick Stewart.

Director Stuart Baird supposedly had never seen an episode of The Next Generation, and the way he handled the direction and tone of this film definitely showed that lack of knowledge. I think his attempt at creating a story that felt very different from what came before is admirable, but too much liberties taken and you may have some upset fans.

This also comes into play when you think about the strange inclusion of a brother to Data, and Shinzon being a clone of Picard. I didn't find either of those two story lines compelling, nor did it really bring anything new to that approach of storytelling. It's only when I watched the actors bring much more out of the dialogue that I realized there could have been something great here.

If for anything else, Shinzon is an extremely active villain and Hardy doesn't waste the extra screen time, though I was a bit turned off by a unique communication device he uses early on in the film, seriously it's just uncomfortable (and not Star Trek at all) for the wrong reasons. With diminished screen time for the Enterprise crew, they barely leave the bridge, except for one out of place Mad Max style desert sequence. Nemesis is just one of those Star Trek films I can't seem to figure out. I can tell the franchise fatigue seemed to set in, but there's still plenty of good with the performances of the crew and the newcomer Tom Hardy.

+Hardy showed promise

+Picard and Data's performances

-But their strange subplots were unnecessary

-Director/writers uncomfortable plot choices

5.4/10
July 19, 2016
Intelligent action-adventure. Sweet to look at (although I think the washed-out color distances a lot of fans). Engaging, moving, socially relevant. Many discussion-able themes which are among the most fascinating of the movie series (ie: nature vs nurture, social injustice, the Star Trek philosophy of being better than you could be). Not the best example of a Star Trek film but after Insurrection this is a very acceptable way to end the series, even if it is leagues more forlorn than Part VI for the original crew.
July 15, 2016
I don't know why the TV series was so incredible with amazing Scripts and acting but the movies (aside from first contact) just fall flat.
June 29, 2016
Characters introduced only to be destroyed when the franchise already has a rich history is lazy writing.
June 19, 2016
Nemesis is the tenth Star Trek movie and the fourth and final movie of The Next Generation movie series. The movie follows the crew of the enterprise as the try to stop a clone of Captain Picard (Tom Hardy) from destroying earth with a weapon called the Matrix. This movie has received so much back lash as a Trek movie because most feel its a failed conclusion to a stellar series and with an interesting premise that it does have have made people exhausted as its been done so similarly before. For me though I though this movie was great and a fitting conclusion to The Next Generation series. The movies has a great plot and as much as its been done similarly before it was still entertaining and a nice addition. The crew of the enterprise as as great as ever and give good performances. Tom Hardy was great in his role even if his villain isn't amazing but he does deliver a good performance and he is an improvement upon the last Trek villain. The action is awesome and visuals are pretty good as well. The music is also great as it always has been in the Star Trek movies and shows. Overall I was entertained by the movie and found it to be a fitting ending to the old Star Trek movies before the inevitable reboots/sequel. 4/5
½ June 13, 2016
A clone of Captain Picard has sights on annihilating the Federation.
½ May 30, 2016
Noisy, boring and uninspiring.
½ May 21, 2016
Highly under rated, great acting and effects.
April 2, 2016
This is a shocking rip-off of The Wrath of Khan and it fails as a Wrath of Khan wannabe.
January 23, 2016
.,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦$uâ¦
½ January 13, 2016
Nemesis is the worst Star Trek movie up to date.
December 28, 2015
The 'last' Star Trek movie pretty much suffers from the same problems as the first one (The Motion Picture). It has an interesting premise, but fails to deliver an interesting movie or any memerable action scenes. The visulas are top notch, and the acting is good as ever with the NG crew, but ultimately even Tom Hardy can't make the appearance of this installment outstanding.
½ December 13, 2015
I haven't watched this in over 10 years. It was the last Star Trek:TNG movie. I think it didn't do will with critics and the public because by that time, with so many movies and TV shows, we were seeing Star Trek fatigue set in. But now, re-watching it again, this was one of the better Star Trek movies. It has a pretty cool story, Tom Hardy was great, the special effects were great, especially the ship to ship battle scenes, and the music was really good! Overall a really solid movie!
December 1, 2015
Tom Hardy was vicious as the villain--making a thoroughly enjoyable movie.
½ November 15, 2015
The last film in the Stewart era, thankfully, is one of the better ones, thanks in no small part to the acting genius Tom Hardy, a real stroke of luck for the casting department there. I found it telling that there was no farewell scene for this bunch of hapless b-actors. I'm hoping that the new format is going to take a very big step up.
November 6, 2015
An awful conclusion for TNG, and even if it has an interesting premise, it seems like a shameless rehash of The Wrath of Khan, only this time the villain is completely lame - with very stupid motivations - and the conclusion is a pathetic cop-out for the entire series.
October 23, 2015
I completely love this movie. It has always bothered me that it didn't do better than it did. And since it had to be the "end" of Star Trek, I thought it was a pretty amazing bookend. Years later I still hope for a "Director's Cut" for there was enough to make a six-hour movie, which was cut down to two. I would love for instance to find out how Wesley came back. That all wound up on the cutting room floor. But what makes me really love this movie is its heroic ideals-the very stuff that Gene Roddenberry envisioned that mankind would one day achieve. I love this movie and think it is one of the best and will always turn to it again and again. A must watch.
B.G. Thomas
½ October 2, 2015
There's little to nothing redeeming about it,and I'd say to stay away from this film at all times.