Star Trek - Nemesis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek - Nemesis Reviews

November 22, 2016
It's beautiful to look at, and the action scenes were interesting, but I think all this movie did was piss off a bunch of trekkies. Screw you Stuart Baird.
½ November 19, 2016
The Next Generation crew bottoms out with this awful film. So bad and inept that they won't get another movie and Paramount would opt to reboot the better, more consistent cinematic successes of the original crew. Part of me wants to see The Next Generation guys get one more movie; their version of The Undiscovered Country. That way they could end their story with dignity. But it's highly unlikely that'll ever happen.
October 21, 2016
Highly entertaining movie that finally gives us a look at the Remans, a species largely overlooked throughout the franchise. The battle at the climax of the movie is particularly enjoyable.
September 19, 2016
Uninteresting and under developed.
½ September 5, 2016
Not as bad as all that. Still quite bad, too long, and with some terrible plot points but in retrospect it has its moments
August 26, 2016
Mostly wasted potential, the franchise seemed to be out of good ideas and well-written emotion. The villain is lackluster, the death is pointless, and the effects are poorer. Nemesis does little to add much to the universe, tho it sure does try to change a few things.
½ August 26, 2016
Attempting to be The Next Generation version of the sixth film, which wrapped up the story of the original Enterprise crew, Nemesis is competent but underwhelming. Starting much like the forementioned film with a long-standing enemy facing a sudden change in situation political intrigue quickly gives way to bombast; trying too hard to be action-packed and cinematic the result is clichéd and often silly. Tom Hardy's villain is a highlight, but he sheds nuance as the runtime progresses; his uniqueness giving way to bog-standard tropes. Likewise the humour is more forced than the natural expression keen wit in the TV series. The result is neither the suspense of The Undiscovered Country, which knew when to keep things understated, nor the thrills of First Contact. The writing is simply not as strong as those two exemplaries of the franchise, but it is at least successful in providing an emotionally resonant ending for The Next Generation Enterprise crew.
August 21, 2016
Highly entertaining film. Perhaps a little darker and less humor, but still a great Trek story and film.
½ August 16, 2016
Can't quite accept the villain's pain scenes. Seem so fake. The rest is so blah.
½ August 4, 2016
"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!!!"
August 3, 2016
This movie is geared for people that watch the series. I liked the movie, in my opinion it was a good flick and pretty much marks the end of the next generation movies.
August 1, 2016
Even if it has an interesting premise, this is an awful conclusion for TNG that seems like a shameless rehash of The Wrath of Khan, only this time the villain is completely lame, with very stupid motivations, and the conclusion is a pathetic cop-out for the entire series.
July 30, 2016
Perfect Star Trek.. cliffhanger ending. TNG at its best. And a young Tom Hardy to boot
July 29, 2016
By far the worst Star Trek movie ever.
½ July 23, 2016
The worst Trek flick, Star Trek Nemesis is the first in a trilogy of Wrath Of Khan ripoffs.
½ July 20, 2016
It's difficult for a particular franchise of films to live on for an extended period of time, let alone a long TV series and 4 feature films. With uninspired direction and a gradually silly film, It seems that after 15 years, this iteration of the Enterprise crew just ran out of gas.

Though 'Insurrection' did well at further developing the crew of the Enterprise, 'Nemesis' puts a heavy focus on its villain. This time played by newcomer (at the time) Tom Hardy. Hardy plays Shinzon, a mysterious character hell-bent on completing his Romulan mission with a background linked to Captain Picard himself. Although the dialogue isn't always the best, Hardy shows just how good of an actor he would become, especially up against someone as revered as Patrick Stewart.

Director Stuart Baird supposedly had never seen an episode of The Next Generation, and the way he handled the direction and tone of this film definitely showed that lack of knowledge. I think his attempt at creating a story that felt very different from what came before is admirable, but too much liberties taken and you may have some upset fans.

This also comes into play when you think about the strange inclusion of a brother to Data, and Shinzon being a clone of Picard. I didn't find either of those two story lines compelling, nor did it really bring anything new to that approach of storytelling. It's only when I watched the actors bring much more out of the dialogue that I realized there could have been something great here.

If for anything else, Shinzon is an extremely active villain and Hardy doesn't waste the extra screen time, though I was a bit turned off by a unique communication device he uses early on in the film, seriously it's just uncomfortable (and not Star Trek at all) for the wrong reasons. With diminished screen time for the Enterprise crew, they barely leave the bridge, except for one out of place Mad Max style desert sequence. Nemesis is just one of those Star Trek films I can't seem to figure out. I can tell the franchise fatigue seemed to set in, but there's still plenty of good with the performances of the crew and the newcomer Tom Hardy.

+Hardy showed promise

+Picard and Data's performances

-But their strange subplots were unnecessary

-Director/writers uncomfortable plot choices

5.4/10
July 19, 2016
Intelligent action-adventure. Sweet to look at (although I think the washed-out color distances a lot of fans). Engaging, moving, socially relevant. Many discussion-able themes which are among the most fascinating of the movie series (ie: nature vs nurture, social injustice, the Star Trek philosophy of being better than you could be). Not the best example of a Star Trek film but after Insurrection this is a very acceptable way to end the series, even if it is leagues more forlorn than Part VI for the original crew.
July 15, 2016
I don't know why the TV series was so incredible with amazing Scripts and acting but the movies (aside from first contact) just fall flat.
June 29, 2016
Characters introduced only to be destroyed when the franchise already has a rich history is lazy writing.