Summer of Sam Reviews

• Aug 30, 2019

A.B. did a great job !

A.B. did a great job !

• Mar 30, 2019

Terrible movie. The cast saves it, giving any semblance of quality, but absolutely not worth the time. I want a refund of the $3.99 I paid to rent this.

• Apr 08, 2017

This is a film that I somehow never happened to rent way back in the days of heavy VHS viewing, so I was pleased to give it a spin on cable recently. Spike Lee tells a very interesting tale about the Son Of Sam killings, as they effect the lives of a varied cast of characters in a Brooklyn neighborhood, butting the action up against the Disco scene and the rise of the Punk movement, and I really dug it quite a bit. Good stuff, well worth a rental.

• Feb 20, 2017

very underrated. spike lee tells one hell of a story about being an outcast not all will appreciate

• Jan 30, 2017

Inside out of all American Italiano.

Inside out of all American Italiano.

Matthew Samuel M Super Reviewer
    Oct 16, 2016

A thrilling, often bizarre film, Summer of Sam is a bigger triumph than its general critical reception would make it seem due to a great ensemble and a strong screenplay.

• Aug 24, 2016

Summer Of Sam is one of the most underrated films you will ever see (if you've ever actually seen it, which is unlikely, because i sometimes feel like im about the only fucker who has) set over the worst summer in the history of New York City, involving the infamous New York Blackout, which saw almost the whole city being thrown into darkness, which in turn led to looting's, widespread arson and riots, plus a severe heatwave that was so harsh it took a few lives, and all this happening as a killer stalked the streets, The 44 Killer or The Son Of Sam, randomly murdering young brunettes sitting in their cars or walking home. (Quote from a New York resident of the time: What with the heat, the fire hydrants fanning out big sprays across the streets full of sweaty people, the looting, no subways, little work, no elevators, no refrigerators, Son of Sam roaming around, boyfriend sick, and punk rock as the sound track in my young head, Blackout '77 was a surreal, fun, scary holiday in New York City near its glorious nadir.) This intense, ferocious masterpiece from Spike Lee is an attempt to encompass the whole fucked up episode in the city's history, with the killer front and center in the minds of a couple of disco dwellers, punks and thugs trying to survive those brutal months, and tearing each other apart through hazy atmosphere and drug addled mistrust, aggression and contempt. John Lequizamo is brilliant in the lead as arrogant, cheating and troubled, drug popping dickhead Vinny. Adrien Brody, a spin the dice actor on weather or not he'll turn in a good performance or a bad one (sometimes entertainingly bad, have you seen The Village?) here gives us his best role as fucked up punk and SOS suspect Richie and Mira Sorvino walks off with the film as Dionna, put upon wife of Vinny, in a performance so good it once again make you question why she disappeared from Hollywood so completely. This is a stylized, vital shot of thrilling adrenaline, inventively shot and edited and filled with copious sex and bloody, brutal violence, drugs, debauchery, disco dancing and a fantastic jukebox of 70's tunes. It fucking rocks.

• Apr 26, 2016

Spike Lee is a hit and miss director for sure. However I expected a bit more from the source material. Instead we get another character tale that misses too many times.

• Feb 14, 2016

It's totally watchable.

It's totally watchable.

• Dec 28, 2015

Whilst Son of Sam is an interesting tale that is well written and filmed, it does feel a little like a failed experiment. A film that isn't quite sure what it wants to be. Leguizamo and Sorvino give convincing performances to go with the excellent cinematography that makes you feel like the film may well have been made in the 70s and not the end of the century. But it is a shame that the film's schizophrenia detracts from what is a very good premise from a skilled writer/director. Full review - http://www.moviemuse.net/movie-review-summer-of-sam/