Super 8 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super 8 Reviews

October 17, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: J.J. Abrams' 'Super8' is pretty much Spielberg on drugs, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's got all the emotion and heart in all the right places and is a family drama at it's core, but it also offsets any chance of that kind of cheesiness in the most incredible way - through sheer insanity. Seriously, it almost seems like a spoof of itself thanks to a completely zany plot and mad visuals a-plenty. I sure love how the steven-esque emotional through-lines and style help you engage, but it's the quirky vision that makes it something special.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Hmm... is it just a little too quirky?
VERDICT: Super8 will make you smile, laugh and maybe even shed the odd tear. It's good film ripped apart and put back together again by a man who knows what the hell he's doing - Abrams has a golden touch and he sure as hell used it here.
October 3, 2016
Super 8 is filled with fun thanks to the young casts adventure. Abrams captures the feel of the 80s for throwback film.
September 24, 2016
This heart-warming homage to the classic 70s and 80s is a thrilling and relatable must see film for all kids and filmmakers. J.J. Abrams perfectly accomplished a movie that represents him and the world, with a combination of scifi, kids movie, romance, comedy, even horror, making it truly a modern classic.
September 18, 2016
'Super 8' is an good sci-fi movie from JJ Abrams. It's packed with JJ's cool and flashy style, and has some excellent child actors to carry the movies slightly thin and cliched script.
½ September 12, 2016
What a cracking film. I'd forgotten everything about it apart from knowing there was a train wreck, but it just played out as a great 'old fashioned' monster feature with a tease of more and more views all the way through. Classic Spielberg, although I'd guessed long before the end that it must be a J.J. film from the massive use of lens flare, highly recommended!
September 11, 2016
As great as good movies get, but still just a good movie.
September 6, 2016
So crazy to watch. Progressive and flowing... Almost but not enough
September 4, 2016
Excellence on point.
September 4, 2016
I am very disappointed in this movie. The CGI was pretty good hence the two stars other than that It was basically a hodge podge of familiar characters remesense of days gone by in a typical middle class life. Throw in an alien from Close Encounters who seems to run havoc and there room for disaster! There was one part where the main character (Joe Lamb) is staring face to face with the alien and starts a conversation with it like it was E.T. Smh* What an absolutely ridiculous movie. 1:52 wasted minutes of my life I will never get back.
September 1, 2016
Well acted. Entertaining story about kids shooting a movie when disaster strikes.
½ August 30, 2016
4.5/5. A more violent version of E.T., this movie is still a lot of fun and has some really great performances.
½ August 17, 2016
A fantastic sci-fi adventure, that makes you feel like you're watching a Spielberg movie, really well done, the performances by the kids are great, the suspense in revealing the creature is great, Abrams does a great job and how's how much he loves movies in this tribute to 80s film and filmmaking in general.
August 16, 2016
Problemas familiares, criaturas extraterrestres, sumiço de cães e uma narrativa centrada em um grupo de adolescentes tentando desvendar mistérios... SUPER 8 não é excelente, mas é uma bela homenagem aos clássicos de ficção americanos (principalmente os do Spielberg) dos anos 80.
August 13, 2016
A great movie the first time you see it, the the allure wears off after a few viewings. It was nice to see that the kids were actually pretty good actors, that's something that is rare. Good adventure film that really only requires one viewing.
½ August 12, 2016
Super 8 traz um roteiro emocionante e divertido,alta ficção cientifica de peso e atuações fantásticas.
½ August 12, 2016
Un film intrigante che ci riporta alla memoria i vecchi film di Spielberg degli anni 80. Nonostante il finale un po' scontato, la storia intrattiene una vasta fetta di pubblico e dal punto di vista tecnico non c'è niente da dire.
August 10, 2016
Not the Spielberg film it wanted to be, but the first hour and a half comes close to capturing some of that magic. Ending is lame though. And the monster has echoes of Cloverfield.
August 6, 2016
Copies Spielberg but not as good. Lots of over the top moments that were completely unnecessary, like the over the top train crash for example. Also has the usual problems with modern CGI effects in that we lose realistic movement and get high speed instead. I prefer realistic movement but Hollywood can't seem to do that as well as they used to before CGI. Its a shame because this could have been a classic.
½ August 5, 2016
Super 8 was fun for the most part, with a sense of an 80s movie it is able to dazzle many children and adults alike.
August 3, 2016
Overhyped and a slow-paced storyline. The only thing to save this silly mess is the visual effects and even then it still manages to be ludicrous and completely over-the-top.