Super 8 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super 8 Reviews

January 14, 2017
Heartwarming and emotional, Super 8 takes themes like family, friendship, young love, government cover-ups, and amateur film-making, and seamlessly injects them into a monster movie that feels like something from the '80s.
January 12, 2017
Nota: 8.5/10 - 3.9/5
½ January 3, 2017
I heard good things about this. But really it was an ET reboot for this generation and fell short.
½ December 27, 2016
Cool alien thriller movie starring Elle fanning and some fandom kids, the kids in this movie including Elle fanning do a good job, I like how they feel and act in this atmosphere of war and the evacuation of their home just because of a dumb alien that is pretty much a rip off of et but isn't as bad as you think, but the effects of the Alien are a little cheesy, it looks like the monsters in clover field. And I also like the connection between the children and their parents, but that didn't have to be in the movie, to me it was a waste of time but some people want an insider to the character. This movie didn't click like I wanted it to be, but in the end it's a cool idea for a movie but it's more like et but for an older audience.
½ December 20, 2016
I thought this was going to be something much more original than it was. Wasn't bad, but I'd rather watch the Monster Squad.
December 10, 2016
Lovely storyline. Great movie as well. I love how in the credits they showed the movie the kids were making to be submitted in the Super 8 film contest!!!
November 30, 2016
Super 8 is a surprisingly thoughtful sci-fi flick with a smart script, strong visuals and fantastic performances from its mostly young cast.
November 25, 2016
Possibly one of the best horror films ever made
November 19, 2016
The best homage to Spielberg's films, that could ever be made.
½ November 13, 2016
The characters are difficult to care for and the story quite slow but overall the mystery is engaging and interesting. Ultimately though it all felt a little childish.
November 12, 2016
What to say about this movie. It's just amazing the characters are great, story, great action, humor and it takes a lot from Steven Spielbergs great other movies (E.T. Etc.) and it's a great summer movie. Over all it was awesome and I loved it
October 24, 2016
A very well-done & original cinematic brilliance from Abrams & Spielberg! I've seen it like 20-30 times & it never gets old!
October 17, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: J.J. Abrams' 'Super8' is pretty much Spielberg on drugs, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's got all the emotion and heart in all the right places and is a family drama at it's core, but it also offsets any chance of that kind of cheesiness in the most incredible way - through sheer insanity. Seriously, it almost seems like a spoof of itself thanks to a completely zany plot and mad visuals a-plenty. I sure love how the steven-esque emotional through-lines and style help you engage, but it's the quirky vision that makes it something special.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Hmm... is it just a little too quirky?
VERDICT: Super8 will make you smile, laugh and maybe even shed the odd tear. It's good film ripped apart and put back together again by a man who knows what the hell he's doing - Abrams has a golden touch and he sure as hell used it here.
October 3, 2016
Super 8 is filled with fun thanks to the young casts adventure. Abrams captures the feel of the 80s for throwback film.
September 24, 2016
This heart-warming homage to the classic 70s and 80s is a thrilling and relatable must see film for all kids and filmmakers. J.J. Abrams perfectly accomplished a movie that represents him and the world, with a combination of scifi, kids movie, romance, comedy, even horror, making it truly a modern classic.
September 18, 2016
***
'Super 8' is an good sci-fi movie from JJ Abrams. It's packed with JJ's cool and flashy style, and has some excellent child actors to carry the movies slightly thin and cliched script.
½ September 12, 2016
What a cracking film. I'd forgotten everything about it apart from knowing there was a train wreck, but it just played out as a great 'old fashioned' monster feature with a tease of more and more views all the way through. Classic Spielberg, although I'd guessed long before the end that it must be a J.J. film from the massive use of lens flare, highly recommended!
September 11, 2016
As great as good movies get, but still just a good movie.
September 6, 2016
So crazy to watch. Progressive and flowing... Almost but not enough
September 4, 2016