Supercop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supercop Reviews

November 22, 2017
Following Jackie Chan's long overdue breakthrough in the American market with "Rumble in the Bronx," Dimension Films quickly looked for another of Jackie's Hong Kong productions to Americanize and quickly get into theaters. Jackie had several earlier attempts to break into the American market that were unsuccessful, largely because they tried to make Jackie fit the mold of an American action hero, ALA Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, etc. What sets Jackie apart from most action heroes is not just his acrobatic ability and his willingness to perform insane stunts, but his charming and funny self deprecating good humor about himself. "Supercop" actually the third film in Jackie's highly successful Police Story series of films, which were comparatively more serious than most of his films. In this installment Jackie get's dangles from a helicopter, fights atop a high speed train, and jumps off of a high-rise building! Oh, and the story involves our favorite HK police inspector working with a communist China police inspector to take down a drug dealer, not that you really care about the story in a Jackie Chan film. What makes this film even more impressive is that the communist police inspector is played by Michelle Yeoh, who very nearly outdoes Jackie in terms of martial arts and stunt work, particularly one scene where she jumps a motorcycle onto the previously mentioned moving train. Yeoh, billed as Michelle Khan, is amazing, though Jackie's love interest is once again played by the very cute Maggie Cheung. "Supercop" features tons more action and mayhem than you typically see in a Jackie Chan Hong Kong production. Chan's production do often have plenty of large scale set pieces and big stunts, but of all his film, this one looks the most like a bombastic American action film. Top all that off by a very fun Americanized soundtrack that includes a Devo cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Head like a Hole," Tom Jones covering "Kung-Fu Fighting," and an original Devo song entitled Supercop, which have the hilarious lyrics that go:

I was born to serve justice
But I don't sermonize
Good is good
Bad is bad
And I never compromise

They lock me in a rocket
Made of flesh and bone
I'll meet you in the war zone
With my fists of stone

My body's a machine
Made to synchronize
Every time I'm called to action
Make me recognize
When the forces of corruption
Do the tyrannize

And I can't be stopped

I was born to serve justice
Get my name
I'm a Super Cop

Kung fu action is my game
A Super Cop now

He drives around in a world turned upside down
A Super Cop now

He's gotta round up all the evil clowns
A Super Cop now

What he sees just makes him want to cry
A Super Cop now

Overall, "Supercop" is my favorite of Jackie's Hong Kong films to get an Americanized release, though my favorite film of his has to be either the first "Police Story" film or "Project A."
February 16, 2017
Can't find any excuse to say it's a bad kung fu comedy movie.. Jackie you're rock!!
December 22, 2016
One of Chan's best films, less from a martial arts perspective (the fight scenes are good, but not spectacular) and more from a stunt-driven action scene perspective. The climax involving a helicopter, a train and a motorcycle is some of the best stunt work on film. The teaming of Chan with Michelle Yeoh is inspired. Maggie Cheung is Chan's girlfriend and Kenneth Tsang is the main villain ... lots of 90's era HK goodness.
August 31, 2016
Not sure why Michelle Yeoh gets such a boost infront of Chan... it being the third after the first two amazing Police Story Movies; Police Story 4: First Strike was a great film, but couldnt touch 1,2 or 3; although New Police Story is fantastic.
March 14, 2016
Routine plot surrounded by brilliant stunts, thrilling action, plenty of humor and Chan being as likable and fun as ever.
½ February 25, 2016
This movie should be used as a blueprint for big stunts, intense action and a great film.
½ February 15, 2016
It's been a long time that I haven't revisited Police Story franchise. Wow! My Lord! Supercop is not only a great action movie but also a great addition to the Police Story franchise. I think Police Story franchise might be the most underrated and the most under-appreciated movie franchise of all time. Because the first one is freaking awesome, PS2 is not as good as the first one but still great, and now PS3: Supercop is also brilliant. I not even mentioning about my favourite one - "New Police Story" which is 5th in the franchise. Supercop is a great action movie filled with comedy, amazing martial arts, and superbly choreographed stunts. I love Supercop so much.
½ November 26, 2015
Just as good as the second and almost as good as the original. This one takes itself a little bit more seriously however, with an obvious political underdone that you shouldn't ignore, which provides an interesting new dynamic to the story. It all makes sense when you consider what HK was going through in the 90's. Definitely see this if you liked the first two Police Story movies, this is a continuation of that series despite not having Police Story in the title.
September 20, 2015
It was good of course. If you've seen the first two, you've seen this one. Nothing new, but good story, same old Jackie humour we love. This one was lacking in big action and stunts and kind of felt more hollywood-y.
½ September 12, 2015
One of the best (if not the best) Jackie Chan vehicles to come out of Hong Kong.
September 2, 2015
"Supercop" combina de manera magnífica la acción real con la comedia ingeniosa y ferozmente hilarante dejando en claro que Jackie Chan y Michelle Yeoh son artistas del combate y las acrobacias reales que dejan boquiabiertos con sus escenas de persecución.
August 2, 2015
This third installment in the franchise continues to wow audiences the same way as its predecessors with even more slapstick humor and incredible action with Chan sharing the screen with Michelle Yeoh this time.
April 12, 2015
Funny movie. Jackie Chan is amazing!
March 25, 2015
my opinion one of the best action movies of all time ...up there with Die Hard, The Rock, Speed, Terminator 2, Hard Boiled, The Matrix.... Police Story 3: Supercop deserves to be on the list..
February 17, 2015
Really good action sequences. I am trying to see more Jackie Chan films.
January 23, 2015
Stanley Tong's exhilarating actioner is like a James Bond movie produced in Hong Kong and starring Kung Fu virtuoso Jackie Chan, whose human and humorous fallibility in his characters is one of his most endearing traits and one of the main reasons (the other being his phenomenal stunt work) he is so beloved by fans.
½ December 30, 2014
Great movie. Supercop is an action-packed, funny adventure that proved Jackie Chan's skills early on in his career. It cleverly blends slapstick and martial arts, a story not completely original, great visual and technical effects, and great performances from Chan and Yeoh.
December 17, 2014
Solid, short and sweet action flick that's well paced. As the supposed Police Story III, it doesn't have any stunts on the same mind-blowing level as such as Police Story 1 and doesn't showcase Chan at his fullest, but the film is still rather entertaining and Chan is still a pleasure to see on screen as he does some decent fight choreography and stunt work.
½ September 21, 2014
While it does have plenty of action, I did find it somewhat constrained as far as the story is concerned. Of course, this is a translated movie, so it's tough to judge when you don't speak Mandarin. I do give Jackie and Michelle some credit though, they make one hell of a team.
September 3, 2014