The Swan Princess - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Swan Princess Reviews

July 8, 2016
I have loved this film since childhood. It is one of the rare kids movies that highlights more than a woman's beauty or her kindness as her most important attribute. The scene where Odette refuses to marry Derrek, because her beauty is the only thing he can come up with to praise her for, is my girlfriends and I's favorite bit. The characters are good, particularly the animals and Odette. The film is quirky and uplifting and the characters have depth and nuance. I have enjoyed rewatching it again and again as have my little cousins, both male and female. The characters have depth and nuance.
½ May 5, 2016
It is the worst Disney Princess wannabe I've ever seen!
½ February 13, 2016
The Swan Princess follows a familiar story arch, but as an attempt to be a satisfying animated kids movie, it works swimmingly with a pleasant amount of humor, darkness, and romance.
January 31, 2016
One of my favorite movies as a kid. ­???­???­???
January 28, 2016
I watched this movie when I was a kid. It has good singing and good dancing it makes a good fairy tale movie for kids. It is a funny movie. My favorite song was for longer than forever it was a graceful song and a beautiful song and very good singing to the song. Kids will like this movie
October 26, 2015
Disney light. Songs suck, animation average, void of any character development (and for some parts charcter all together) and MUCH stolen straight from way better disney movies. Ok for little kids, and I'm not even sure of that.
July 27, 2015
Very underrated movie that doesn't deserve half the hate it gets. This is possibly my all-time favorite non-Disney animated film. Beautifully animated and features one of the most beautiful songs of all time.
July 25, 2015
Uninteresting couple, weak humor, too many plot holes, and just very underwhelming. They were trying so hard to not be Disney and failed so miserably.
July 25, 2015
This was my favorite childhood movie!!! I know several people who watch it, and I recommend this movie to those I babysit!
July 16, 2015
The story moves at a breakneck pace, the characters are routine, but beautifully drawn and the songs are obnoxious, but catchy.
In the end, The Swan Princess is at least memorable enough to make up for it's cons.
½ July 15, 2015
Its a sad day when a Barbie movie does a better adaption, but its very true. The music is terrible, the characters have no character, and the romance seems so forced. It's terrible to see one of the best ballets get turned into this garbage.
July 2, 2015
Flawed but decent, it's one of the better Disney knock-offs to come from the 90s.
May 28, 2015
Considered by many as the greatest non Disney animated fairytale film and in many ways I would agree with this.

The story of prince & princess forced into marriage and then the princess is cursed by the King's old enemy and turned into a swan.

Filled with a lot of humor (I guess you'd call it that) & the characters are fairly one dimensional. It's pretty fun & easy watching with lots of musical numbers will appeal largely to girls.
May 25, 2015
That movie is awesome!! And those awesome scenes makes me feeling loved!!!
½ March 21, 2015
The Swan Princess is a cliche-filled rip-off of Disney's animated films.
½ March 11, 2015
Whilst not a perfect animated feature, The Swan Princess, which was a personal favourite when I was small, remains very satisfactory overall.

A day after having seen the Swan Lake ballet, I have to say that the filmmakers did a good job of creating a slightly fuller animation-friendly story than the original, with a very welcome contemporary dimension.
This is offered by a key moment at the beginning of the film when the princess, Odette, refuses to marry the prince, Derek, because he can't voice any other motive for his love than her looks. At the end, he finally comes out with talk of her kindness, generosity and so on, and comes across as much less of a douche (shame she's busy dying and probably doesn't hear him).
Many people compare this film with Disney animations, not in a flattering way for the most part, but I have to say that thanks to that underlying theme, it is far more moral than most Disneys I can think of, a majority not venturing off the beauty-alone-equals-love path too often.

Having said this, even though the storyline intention in the Swan Princess is admirable, in effect it reveals quite a few shortcuts. The prince and princess dislike each other during their entire childhood and teenage years, then suddenly, hitting adulthood and maturity, they fall madly in love within less than three minutes, and though the "coup de foudre" seems mutual, Odette requires an explanation from Derek (the prince) as to why they should marry. Then comes the unsatisfactory answer and applaudable reaction on her behalf, but I find the succession of event somewhat unrealistic. Either a "coup de foudre" is indeed taking place, and as an irrational feeling sprouting between two people it requires no justification, either you are showing a couple gradually falling in love in which case explanations may have more of a place.
Some other parts of the storyline aren't very believable, such as the fact no one would recognize the Odette double who appears at the end ball - it may have been have been a few years, but come on. Talking of years, how come Odette, Derek and his friend are the only characters to age? Just wondering...

To finish on the negatives, in terms of animation, this film does lack visual subtlety in terms of photography, colour palette or background detail, fields in which one must admit that Disney set the expectations very high.

Other than that, the actual animation is not bad at all - if it weren't for the oddly large hand here and there I'd actually say is was very good; the acting is so (and not only John Cleese) and despite what I have read elsewhere, I find the music excellent. The lyrics may not be anything to write home about, but then that is often the case, even with Disney, but the tunes are really nice.

The secondary characters and overall humour of the Swan Princess are another of its highlights, as well as the balance between that side of the storytelling and the drama which is actually quite poignant for an animated film, though not especially in a tear-jerking way.
I also find the multiple allegations concerning the production's "borrowing" of many themes or items from Disney completely unfounded and ill-informed - it's borrowing from the original ballet story to which it is surprisingly faithful in essence, so review your classics please, peer reviewers.

Overall, I'm glad to say that I can still enjoy this very much as an adult, which is always a good sign, but deep-down some frustration comes from the fact it had potential to be quite exceptional.
The story deserved a higher level of visual sophistication, leaning more towards the ballet in a similar way The Sleeping Beauty did - a blue feathery Rothbart, a grander and more daring style and a bit of Tcha´kovsky would have been welcome. As it stands though, it does the job well enough.
½ February 1, 2015
wonderful children's animated story from Disney with a good mix of humour, drama & action.
December 22, 2014
I adored this film as a child! Although the plot is very cheesy, its still incredibly enjoyable. Some of the scenes almost bring me to tears, and every time I watch it its like reliving my childhood. Its truly a wonderful movie.