Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

July 10, 2016
BORING BORING BORING. so slow. some good acting and a select few cool scenes. but i had trouble finishing this. the story just would not progress. this was very based in symbolism, metaphors and psychology.

SPOILERS

the ending was pretty much uselss. I didn't hate it, but at that point the movie was a lost cause. and all the twist did was prove that he was right, it did not change anything else, or explain anything. it was just, "oh btw, he's not crazy" (1 viewing)
½ July 1, 2016
The worst movie in quite a long time. I was going to avoid this but there are two hours of my life I won't get back. I can't figure out even why this movie was even made.
½ June 29, 2016
Very impressive movie with a mind-blowing performance from Michael Shannon and the incredibly terrifying slow-building atmosphere of a man going crazy (is he though?).
½ June 29, 2016
Michael Shannon gives a brilliant performance of a man obsessed with an impending storm.
June 26, 2016
Too long, too sad, too unpleasant
½ June 26, 2016
Powerhouse performance by Michael Shannon which I I think it was powered by Jeff Nichols talented directing.
June 25, 2016
Mr. Shannon giving a very deft hand to a part that could be easily botched.
June 12, 2016
how the hell did this get 92% and high reviews!! the movie is dull at best. sure the acting is good, but the story is crap!! even the predictable ending was mediocre!!
½ June 9, 2016
Great film about a man who is conflicted as to whether he is having visions of a major oncoming storm, or if he is actually beginning to show signs of mental illness, a real concern since his mother is mentally ill. Jeff Nichols showcases some fantastic filmmaking skill, while Michael Shannon gives one hell of a powerful performance. A great film with visuals and a story that will stick with you long after you've watched it.
June 4, 2016
Awesome performance by the main actor.. The story itself was extremely made..
½ May 31, 2016
Although Shannon and Chastain gave good performances, the pace is too slow to be engaging. It's not until the very end that we finally get a reward for all of the slowly building tension, but it's too little too late.
May 14, 2016
Took a chance and watched this today. Very impressed. I was along for the ride the whole time. Worth a watch for sure!
½ April 25, 2016
Losing mind over Dream-storms.
½ April 24, 2016
A very slow, quiet and almost meditative experience. "Take Shelter" is so simple in story that it leaves so much room for interpretation and symbolism, but not in a way where it's too obscure to grasp. Jeff Nichols has a clear agenda I think in theme here and drives the mood based on that. For me, the storm may as well be a metaphor for responsibility of taking care of a family. Regardless of interpretation, Michael Shannon's performance is something of artful nuance that is so memorable and holds the film by saying nothing most of the time. Jessica Chastain is also extremely intensifying in her supporting role and it's a very strong and beautiful effort from a writer/director driving a film of feelings and worries.
April 23, 2016
this film is more stupid than Curtis' face
April 19, 2016
Notable only for the acting by Michael Shannon, the story itself was rather dull for me.
½ April 17, 2016
I give up, I just couldnt finish it. simply became too painful to watch... SOOOO BORING
½ April 16, 2016
The ending sort of kills this film, as the performances and themes are excellent but the ambiguousness seems cheap. Michael Shannon and Chastain and the others are fantastic, and the movie tackles the very real issue of mental illness. But its the awkwardness of the final shot that makes it more confusing rather than satisfying.
½ April 15, 2016
This is one of those movie people that want to seem sophisticated pretend to love. It's slow, it's boring (as in there's no exploration of ideas, not as in there are no explosions), it's predictable, and the acting is so obvious it's embarrassing.

There is one thing this movie does great though, it's a fantastic indicator of whether you should trust someone's opinions on movies. If they like this, don't trust 'em.
April 9, 2016
Slow-burning psychological thriller. Is labourer Curtis having a major breakdown or are his nightmares a real warning? Imagine Terrence Malick had written and directed 10 Cloverfield Lane and you'll get an idea of what Jeff Nichols has achieved. Excellent performances buttress a movie that rewards the viewer's patience.