Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

April 28, 2017
Take Shelter was a very good watch, quite powerful and emotional. Michael Shannon is brilliant.
½ April 15, 2017
Michael Shannon has proved his one of the most under-rated actors around
½ April 14, 2017
5.5/10 Very slow, mildly interesting
April 5, 2017
After over 5 years since I saw this movie, it still haunts me...must pop in my head at least once or twice a week. Brilliant acting & intense story, with devastating ending. Fabulous.
April 5, 2017
Take Shelter: Quiet desperation is the overriding theme in this psychological drama, about a blue collar worker who starts building a storm shelter in his backyard after having dreams of an apocalyptic storm - but are the dreams a vision, or signs of mental illness? Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain (Celia from "The Help") both deliver Oscar worthy performances. The only weak spot for me was the ending, which felt a bit tacked on. B+
March 29, 2017
Great acting and characters. The plot is a bit slow, but the ending is strong.
March 24, 2017
An absolutely dread-filled psychological drama that tackles heavy themes of mental illness with subdued prowess, relying on just the talents of its cast and writer/director rather than bludgeoning special effects. Michael Shannon gives what might be his finest performance to date: his explosive scenes are obviously intense, but it's his softer, quieter moments that truly sell his take on the troubled character of Nichols' film.
March 19, 2017
The most truly Lovecraftian of all films.
March 10, 2017
This flick has a dark feel from start to finish- I happen to like dark movies - I'm just throwing that out there. Michael Shannon is brilliant. The portrayal of his character's mental illness and his efforts to seek treatment despite various barriers and stigma really resonated with me, since I am both a psychologist and a patient.
SPOILER ALERT - I feel like the movie totally went against itself in the final few minutes. They took a well done plot about mental illness, genetics, stress, navigating the insurance and mental health system, stigma, family conflict, etc. and flushed it down the toilet by showing (which I assumed to be reality) his dreams/hallucinations coming true. *Homer Simpson mocking voice* "Ooooh, he doesn't have mental illness, he is clairvoyant! A gift from Jeebus!" OK, I admit it's doubtful that "clairvoyant" is in Homer's vocabulary. I was disappointed in the ending because I feel it was a slap in the face to those experiencing mental illness, but I enjoyed the majority of it.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
'Take Shelter' is a terifically ambitious second feature from the wonderfully talented Jeff Nichols and it has some wonderful elements to it; namely the performances and the thought-provoking ending. However, the movie is a very slow burn and the film does unfortunately drag sometimes.
February 18, 2017
Sorry to say that I had expected a more firmer conclusion that did not leave the viewer wanting to know what the hell just happened. Great film up until the last moment where they are going to die anyhow! Unless of course he built shelter at the holiday home!
February 12, 2017
must have watched a different movie. it's mediocre.
January 22, 2017
A harrowing, deeply uncomfortable, and multi-layered story touching on universal themes of human fear, both universal and abnormal.
January 2, 2017
This was an intense movie. The only problem was I figured it out early. I figured they wanted us to think one way so it would be the other, and sure enough it was.
½ December 20, 2016
So rubbish. waste of my time
December 15, 2016
Michael Shannon. Michael Shannon. MICHAEL SHANNON!!! It is true that one performance can make a film. Take Shelter is hauntingly good. Good story, good direction, good supporting players. Some may find it to drag, but there is a plethora of subtext going on. What makes this film so much better than just good is the performance of Michael Shannon. He deserves every accolade he gets!! I couldn't take my eyes off of him throughout the entire film. Just perfect!!
December 4, 2016
Not bad. Felt like it dragged on quite a bit.
½ November 25, 2016
At times a bit slow, but you get frustrated along with the main characters that there's so much tension and no resolution. When it finally does come, though, the wait is well worth it.
½ November 20, 2016
Michael Shannon killin it. This is 20 minutes too long though.
November 19, 2016
It builds and it builds and it builds; will it be a Jacob's Ladder-type descent into total madness and identity disintegration, a close encounter of the terrifying kind, or...or...or...

Ah crap. Hollywood shitness strikes again. Right at the finish line. All tidily packaged up in a Disney-style, steaming pile of yay.