Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

April 23, 2018
man, that was an intense movie
January 6, 2018
Very wonderfully visual picture, great acting, with psychological tension throughout. Is he crazy or isn't he? The deterioration of main character complete with non-verbal schizophrenic behaviour is depicted very well as pointed out by my wife in mental health. Problem is - the message is that sometimes mental illness could actually be someone predicting the future. C'mon, this was an opportunity like The Beautiful Mind to tell a story and educate the public how devastating this illness is. Instead it simply confuses.
½ December 19, 2017
It's well acted and well structured, but Take Shelter sets up events that can and do prove to be anticlimactic.
November 19, 2017
One of the best movies I ever watched!
½ November 7, 2017
michael shannon magnifico, un triller psicologico apocaliptico. Altamente recomendada
September 27, 2017
When you review films, a hazard of the job is that you tend to watch quite a few of them. (Tough life, I hear all of you sigh.) You do grow slightly jaded, though. It takes a phenomenal film to raise your blood pressure, to make you forget that you are evaluating the film - and mostly, you see the end coming a mile away. (It has, of course, led to many an argument when you tell the person sitting next to you how the show will end, well before it ends.)

But Take Shelter blew my hair back. I did not see anything coming, let alone the end. I have subsequently offered my babysitting services to all my friends, for they must go and see this film. In other words, I am totally excited!

In a nutshell
Now here's a dilemma: I can't tell you jack about the film. You have to walk into the theatre and watch the film as the director intended you to - with a clean slate.

Mood of the film
Suspenseful, yes, but beautiful and tender. And that's all I am going to say.

Best performance
It's a tie! Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.

Standout scene
I'm not saying.

Negatives
It's over! I've seen it. I won't ever experience again the joy of seeing it for the first time.

Is the film relevant today?
Totally! And then some.
½ September 23, 2017
The movie that made me a Michael Shannon fan. Plus Jessica Chastain! Dark, troubling, powerful. And a great final scene.
September 12, 2017
Intriguing, very well acted and a very good ending.
½ September 11, 2017
Great performances by two of the best actors of our time. Dismal results. Stick around for awesome title song by director's brother Ben Nichols, written for the film.
September 10, 2017
Slow. Great acting - not much action. Lots left to imagination.
September 7, 2017
This movie is slow paced but the story line keeps you intrigued. The ending really made the entire story come together along with the bond between the family. You want to believe the father's nightmares may come true but in the back of your mind you assume he's possibly inherited his mother's bad genes. Deep down what's worse, going insane or trying to survive a deadly storm.
August 21, 2017
5.5/10 Very slow, mildly interesting
½ August 5, 2017
They built it up and then ended what probably would have been the best part. This would have been an awesome prequel.
½ July 5, 2017
Cool movie--slow but very Twilight Zone-esque.
June 27, 2017
One of the best movies ever made and one of the most gorgous Jeff Nichols films next to Midnight Special. The acting is absolutely phonomanal.
½ June 21, 2017
Im glad that Take Shelter is this sort of frightening thriller that doesn't rely on special effects. In fact, not much of the storm is really shown, its played as more of a psychological thriller. This movie is really intriguing that the first half is questioning Curtis's sanity, is his visions correct or is he mentally insane? At some point it feels like the latter, but the ending, though giving unclear answers, may say otherwise. This film intrigued me even from the first shot. A great performance from Michael Shannon, its well shot, believable characters, and well directed by Jeff Nichols. Some could say they've seen this movie before and could expect what would eventually happen and some shots maybe should've been cut out, but this movie does do something new and investing while also doing a great job mixing in drama, terror, and dread. It's a pretty slow paced but in a way i think its for the best.
½ May 15, 2017
Hält einen vom Anfang bis zum Ende gefangen.
Zwischenzeitlich bedrückend aber total beeindruckend!
Michael Shannon spielt richtig genial!
May 1, 2017
Grade - B
'Take Shelter' is a terifically ambitious second feature from the wonderfully talented Jeff Nichols and it has some wonderful elements to it; namely the performances and the thought-provoking ending. However, the movie is a very slow burn and the film does unfortunately drag sometimes.
April 28, 2017
Take Shelter was a very good watch, quite powerful and emotional. Michael Shannon is brilliant.
½ April 15, 2017
Michael Shannon has proved his one of the most under-rated actors around