Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

September 12, 2017
Intriguing, very well acted and a very good ending.
½ September 11, 2017
Great performances by two of the best actors of our time. Dismal results. Stick around for awesome title song by director's brother Ben Nichols, written for the film.
September 10, 2017
Slow. Great acting - not much action. Lots left to imagination.
September 7, 2017
This movie is slow paced but the story line keeps you intrigued. The ending really made the entire story come together along with the bond between the family. You want to believe the father's nightmares may come true but in the back of your mind you assume he's possibly inherited his mother's bad genes. Deep down what's worse, going insane or trying to survive a deadly storm.
August 21, 2017
5.5/10 Very slow, mildly interesting
½ August 5, 2017
They built it up and then ended what probably would have been the best part. This would have been an awesome prequel.
½ July 5, 2017
Cool movie--slow but very Twilight Zone-esque.
June 27, 2017
One of the best movies ever made and one of the most gorgous Jeff Nichols films next to Midnight Special. The acting is absolutely phonomanal.
½ June 21, 2017
Im glad that Take Shelter is this sort of frightening thriller that doesn't rely on special effects. In fact, not much of the storm is really shown, its played as more of a psychological thriller. This movie is really intriguing that the first half is questioning Curtis's sanity, is his visions correct or is he mentally insane? At some point it feels like the latter, but the ending, though giving unclear answers, may say otherwise. This film intrigued me even from the first shot. A great performance from Michael Shannon, its well shot, believable characters, and well directed by Jeff Nichols. Some could say they've seen this movie before and could expect what would eventually happen and some shots maybe should've been cut out, but this movie does do something new and investing while also doing a great job mixing in drama, terror, and dread. It's a pretty slow paced but in a way i think its for the best.
½ May 15, 2017
Hält einen vom Anfang bis zum Ende gefangen.
Zwischenzeitlich bedrückend aber total beeindruckend!
Michael Shannon spielt richtig genial!
May 1, 2017
Grade - B
'Take Shelter' is a terifically ambitious second feature from the wonderfully talented Jeff Nichols and it has some wonderful elements to it; namely the performances and the thought-provoking ending. However, the movie is a very slow burn and the film does unfortunately drag sometimes.
April 28, 2017
Take Shelter was a very good watch, quite powerful and emotional. Michael Shannon is brilliant.
½ April 15, 2017
Michael Shannon has proved his one of the most under-rated actors around
April 5, 2017
After over 5 years since I saw this movie, it still haunts me...must pop in my head at least once or twice a week. Brilliant acting & intense story, with devastating ending. Fabulous.
April 5, 2017
Take Shelter: Quiet desperation is the overriding theme in this psychological drama, about a blue collar worker who starts building a storm shelter in his backyard after having dreams of an apocalyptic storm - but are the dreams a vision, or signs of mental illness? Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain (Celia from "The Help") both deliver Oscar worthy performances. The only weak spot for me was the ending, which felt a bit tacked on. B+
March 29, 2017
Great acting and characters. The plot is a bit slow, but the ending is strong.
March 24, 2017
An absolutely dread-filled psychological drama that tackles heavy themes of mental illness with subdued prowess, relying on just the talents of its cast and writer/director rather than bludgeoning special effects. Michael Shannon gives what might be his finest performance to date: his explosive scenes are obviously intense, but it's his softer, quieter moments that truly sell his take on the troubled character of Nichols' film.
March 19, 2017
The most truly Lovecraftian of all films.
March 10, 2017
This flick has a dark feel from start to finish- I happen to like dark movies - I'm just throwing that out there. Michael Shannon is brilliant. The portrayal of his character's mental illness and his efforts to seek treatment despite various barriers and stigma really resonated with me, since I am both a psychologist and a patient.
SPOILER ALERT - I feel like the movie totally went against itself in the final few minutes. They took a well done plot about mental illness, genetics, stress, navigating the insurance and mental health system, stigma, family conflict, etc. and flushed it down the toilet by showing (which I assumed to be reality) his dreams/hallucinations coming true. *Homer Simpson mocking voice* "Ooooh, he doesn't have mental illness, he is clairvoyant! A gift from Jeebus!" OK, I admit it's doubtful that "clairvoyant" is in Homer's vocabulary. I was disappointed in the ending because I feel it was a slap in the face to those experiencing mental illness, but I enjoyed the majority of it.
February 18, 2017
Sorry to say that I had expected a more firmer conclusion that did not leave the viewer wanting to know what the hell just happened. Great film up until the last moment where they are going to die anyhow! Unless of course he built shelter at the holiday home!