Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

October 3, 2016
Slow, weird not sure what all the hype was about.
September 18, 2016
Great acting with an interesting story. But the pacing slogs through scenes that should be ratcheting up the tension. While it held my interest and created curiosity it failed to build suspense.
September 18, 2016
Slow, but in a very purposeful and uncomfortable way, the spiral of mental problems portrayed powerfully by Shannon. Dark, hard to watch, smouldering. Good stuff.
½ September 11, 2016
An arresting take on a man seemingly descending into schizophrenia. Shannon is great in this
August 23, 2016
Damn! Michael Shannon is one intense MF!! And I like that! I like that! He completely carries this one, convincing you even to the point that you actually couldn't believe his family and community didn't praise him as the second coming !! Then boom! He was a prophet....yeah, so who's the man now huh Footloose town, fucking Hoosiers, who's the man now???? That's right
August 20, 2016
Curtis LaForche lives in a small Ohio town with his wife Samantha and six-year-old daughter Hannah, who is deaf. Money is tight, and navigating Hannah's healthcare and special needs education is a constant struggle. Despite that, Curtis and Samantha are very much in love and their family is a happy one. Then Curtis begins having terrifying dreams about an encroaching, apocalyptic storm. He chooses to keep the disturbance to himself, channeling his anxiety into the obsessive building of a storm shelter in their backyard. But the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within the community doesn't compare to Curtis' private fear of what his dreams may truly signify. Faced with the proposition that his disturbing visions signal disaster of one kind or another, Curtis confides in Samantha, testing the power of their bond against the highest possible stakes.
½ August 14, 2016
Absolutely Brilliant, Intense, immersive, Captivating

Take Shelter is a work of beauty, simple yet has so much depth, it deals with real life problems that affect so many people, Shannon and Chastain gave a mesmerizing performance and really helped with making the Drama pop and make it realistic

It's a hell of a movie to watch folks, i really recommend it
½ August 1, 2016
A slow burn of movie with one singular plot, daring me to anticipate a proper payoff. It never came, and the final scene flew way over my head, causing confusion and anger.
½ July 31, 2016
I get spooked real easy.. this was a pretty good film, on a couple of different topics... SPOILER: Mental Illness
July 10, 2016
BORING BORING BORING. so slow. some good acting and a select few cool scenes. but i had trouble finishing this. the story just would not progress. this was very based in symbolism, metaphors and psychology.

the ending was pretty much uselss. I didn't hate it, but at that point the movie was a lost cause. and all the twist did was prove that he was right, it did not change anything else, or explain anything. it was just, "oh btw, he's not crazy" (1 viewing)
½ July 1, 2016
The worst movie in quite a long time. I was going to avoid this but there are two hours of my life I won't get back. I can't figure out even why this movie was even made.
½ June 29, 2016
Very impressive movie with a mind-blowing performance from Michael Shannon and the incredibly terrifying slow-building atmosphere of a man going crazy (is he though?).
½ June 29, 2016
Michael Shannon gives a brilliant performance of a man obsessed with an impending storm.
June 26, 2016
Too long, too sad, too unpleasant
½ June 26, 2016
Powerhouse performance by Michael Shannon which I I think it was powered by Jeff Nichols talented directing.
June 25, 2016
Mr. Shannon giving a very deft hand to a part that could be easily botched.
June 12, 2016
how the hell did this get 92% and high reviews!! the movie is dull at best. sure the acting is good, but the story is crap!! even the predictable ending was mediocre!!
½ June 9, 2016
Great film about a man who is conflicted as to whether he is having visions of a major oncoming storm, or if he is actually beginning to show signs of mental illness, a real concern since his mother is mentally ill. Jeff Nichols showcases some fantastic filmmaking skill, while Michael Shannon gives one hell of a powerful performance. A great film with visuals and a story that will stick with you long after you've watched it.
June 4, 2016
Awesome performance by the main actor.. The story itself was extremely made..
½ May 31, 2016
Although Shannon and Chastain gave good performances, the pace is too slow to be engaging. It's not until the very end that we finally get a reward for all of the slowly building tension, but it's too little too late.