Take Shelter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take Shelter Reviews

January 22, 2017
A harrowing, deeply uncomfortable, and multi-layered story touching on universal themes of human fear, both universal and abnormal.
January 2, 2017
This was an intense movie. The only problem was I figured it out early. I figured they wanted us to think one way so it would be the other, and sure enough it was.
½ December 20, 2016
So rubbish. waste of my time
December 15, 2016
Michael Shannon. Michael Shannon. MICHAEL SHANNON!!! It is true that one performance can make a film. Take Shelter is hauntingly good. Good story, good direction, good supporting players. Some may find it to drag, but there is a plethora of subtext going on. What makes this film so much better than just good is the performance of Michael Shannon. He deserves every accolade he gets!! I couldn't take my eyes off of him throughout the entire film. Just perfect!!
December 13, 2016
Subtly Lovecraftian.
December 4, 2016
Not bad. Felt like it dragged on quite a bit.
½ November 25, 2016
At times a bit slow, but you get frustrated along with the main characters that there's so much tension and no resolution. When it finally does come, though, the wait is well worth it.
½ November 20, 2016
Michael Shannon killin it. This is 20 minutes too long though.
November 19, 2016
It builds and it builds and it builds; will it be a Jacob's Ladder-type descent into total madness and identity disintegration, a close encounter of the terrifying kind, or...or...or...

Ah crap. Hollywood shitness strikes again. Right at the finish line. All tidily packaged up in a Disney-style, steaming pile of yay.
November 18, 2016
Great all around, which Michael Shannon is largely responsible for (what else is new).

But really, it's great in almost every way.
½ November 7, 2016
Take Shelter tells the story of a loving husband, father, and brother while he descends into unexplainable madness. He must figure out whether the visions he's experiencing are fragments of his imagination or apocalyptic warnings meant to prepare him for the incoming storm.

Jeff Nichols tells this story with such tension, such attention for detail, and such artistic vision. Starting off slowly, the audience gets acquainted to Curtis and his family, while standing witness to the first horrific visions that plague the loving father. I don't really know how exactly this film manages to pull it off, but I certainly could feel myself, while staring at the screen, grow paranoid alongside Curtis. It is never really clear until the very end if Curtis is actually descending into madness or if his frightening visions have truth to them. The tension is built slowly but surely and as the film progresses and the madness grows stronger, so do the outstanding performances.

I would not be over exaggerating by saying that Michael Shannons performance in perfect harmony to the ever brilliant Jessica Chastain, is undoubtedly one of the best on screen performances of the past few years. These characters are played with such devotion and passion, it's nearly impossible to not be able to understand the feelings that they go through.

This film will certainly be remember as a milestone in filmmaking. Partly because of the degree of artistic openness Jeff Nichols presents onto his audience. Partly for the outstanding acting we were honored to witness, and lastly for the overlaying message that no matter how deep you may spiral into madness, the warmth of your loved ones will always be able to shine a light through the darkness.

Jeff Nichols, with his fantastic eye for cinematic wizardry undoubtedly set the bar extremely high for any future thriller trying to step into its footsteps.
November 4, 2016
One of the best films I've ever seen and my favorite Michael Shannon performance.
November 3, 2016
There are terrors that lurk in the heart of everyday, mundane life. Real terrors, not contrived boogeymen made up to sell tickets, not jump scares that always fail to redeem a mindless horror flick. It is a rare gen of a movie that can somehow distill some of that true terror between the opening and closing credits. Take Shelter is just one of those rare gems.
½ October 29, 2016
huh; another really great film from Jeff Nichols... he's slowly becoming one of my favorite directors. again -- it's a supernatural drama that doesn't have a lot of action, but the subject matter keeps you engaged. very good.
October 3, 2016
Slow, weird not sure what all the hype was about.
September 18, 2016
Great acting with an interesting story. But the pacing slogs through scenes that should be ratcheting up the tension. While it held my interest and created curiosity it failed to build suspense.
September 18, 2016
Slow, but in a very purposeful and uncomfortable way, the spiral of mental problems portrayed powerfully by Shannon. Dark, hard to watch, smouldering. Good stuff.
½ September 11, 2016
An arresting take on a man seemingly descending into schizophrenia. Shannon is great in this
August 23, 2016
Damn! Michael Shannon is one intense MF!! And I like that! I like that! He completely carries this one, convincing you even to the point that you actually couldn't believe his family and community didn't praise him as the second coming !! Then boom! He was a prophet....yeah, so who's the man now huh Footloose town, fucking Hoosiers, who's the man now???? That's right
August 20, 2016
Curtis LaForche lives in a small Ohio town with his wife Samantha and six-year-old daughter Hannah, who is deaf. Money is tight, and navigating Hannah's healthcare and special needs education is a constant struggle. Despite that, Curtis and Samantha are very much in love and their family is a happy one. Then Curtis begins having terrifying dreams about an encroaching, apocalyptic storm. He chooses to keep the disturbance to himself, channeling his anxiety into the obsessive building of a storm shelter in their backyard. But the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within the community doesn't compare to Curtis' private fear of what his dreams may truly signify. Faced with the proposition that his disturbing visions signal disaster of one kind or another, Curtis confides in Samantha, testing the power of their bond against the highest possible stakes.